What You Guys Reading These Days?

dalsingh101

I think ADHD is one of those easily curable conditions. Your momma and poppa just needed to use one of these on you at the right time:

136689235133369762.jpg

• 3 months later...

Any one read Who moved my cheese by Dr. Spenser Johnson?

It's very short (and simple), but well worth the read; and it can be done within an hour or two!

Found an online copy: Ignore the blurb and go straight to the story.

http://classes.sdc.wsu.edu/classes/cstm301/readings/who%20moved%20my%20cheese.pdf

Am I the only one here who picks up lots of books but doesn't finish reading them?

No. I have a tendency to just pick a random book and read a chapter. Although if there is something i reaally want to know about I do finish the book.

I have just finished reading "In the Master's Presence" by Nihang Niddar Singh.

Edited by chatanga1

No. I have a tendency to just pick a random book and read a chapter. Although if there is something i reaally want to know about I do finish the book.

I have just finished reading "In the Master's Presence by Nihang Niddar Singh.

So what's your review like. Niddar is a gyaani but he does chat shxx aswell

I have just finished reading "In the Master's Presence by Nihang Niddar Singh.

You resisted for that long! ...... lol

The book is well constructed, but i would rather have something a little plainer, less glossy and much cheaper. Thankfuly my friend lent me his copy.

It IS a good book. It seems that there has been a war on in and around Hazur Sahib for decades. I never knew (assuming it is all correct) that the Sikhs had to fight many battles against Muslims to prevent them destroying the Gurdwara. I would like to have seen more pictures of the destruction of Sikh heritage just to make Sri Hazur Sahib look more "beautiful" in ther book. this is the last chapter, and as it is the only thing that has happened in the life time of todays reader, it could have done with more expansion.

One thing that did make me ask, is the book says that "Banda Bahadur was veteran of many battles before he became a bairagi. I have never heard of Madho Das/Banda ever fighting any war, until he became a Sikh. Has anyone heard of this?

Who's army was he part of?

Who did he fight against?

When did these fights take place?

Oh, and there's one typo.

no, I've wanted to read it for ages, just couldnt afford to pay 40 odd quid for it.

I am now reading "Sicques, Tigers and theives". This is a really interesting book as well.

I think the common writer between the two works (Masters and Sicques) is Paramjit Singh. I do a fair bit of reading, and I must say that his writing style is quite exceptional. He is very talented in this respect.

As for the contents of the book he did with Niddar, I'd say it was very interesting, even if some sections were somewhat dubious. Overall though, the work does a lot to open your eyes. I mean I found the information on that sehajdhari leader (was his name Chandu?) very interesting.

What the book does allude to is a time when Sikhs and Sikhi had a much wider influence in India than the Panjabcentrism of today. The network of Sikhi was much more dispersed in India prior to annexation.

Personally I think that is something we need to resurrect without trying to be some sort of 'Sikh overlords' of a wider Sikh world.

What the book does allude to is a time when Sikhs and Sikhi had a much wider influence in India than the Panjabcentrism of today. The network of Sikhi was much more dispersed in India prior to annexation.

Personally I think that is something we need to resurrect without trying to be some sort of 'Sikh overlords' of a wider Sikh world.

Maybe because we had a rule i those times. Ever since 1849, we have been tooo concerned with holding the community together against external threats to realise, that we have become panjab-centric.

Ever since 1849, we have been tooo concerned with holding the community together against external threats to realise, that we have become panjab-centric.

I'd say there was a VERY strong case for us having assimilated the very British 'politics of fear' and insularity as one of the subtle but profound influences of being colonised.

Pre-annexation Singhs/Sikhs appear to have been infinitely more confident (both physically and politically) as well as independent minded and shrewd compared to now.

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised you guys daint know this, the British actually have the original 500 Saki. In order to weaken the Sikhs, the British corrupted the 500 sakhi and made it into 5 books of 100 sakjis, which many are inaccurate. Many vidvaans know of this and have heard in Katha aswell by Sant Jagjeet Singh Harkovalwale

Anyone know where the Sau Sakhis are kept now by the British?

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought some books from India, well quite a lot actually.

Arthshastra

Gazetteers of undivided Panjab

Panjab 100 years ago (written in 1840s)

Umdat ul Twarikh (5 vols)

Four centuries of Sikh literature

about 10 books on partition of India

inc Governors reports on Panjab, Partition Observed

Sunset of the Sikh Empire

Gurbilas 6

Guru kian Sakhian

Lahore 1947

Master Tara Singh (biography)

and loads more!

Arthshastra

Gurbilas 6

Guru kian Sakhian

Lahore 1947

and loads more!

That's a tasty looking list!

Make sure you share any discoveries with us.

Arthshastra

Gurbilas 6

Guru kian Sakhian

Lahore 1947

and loads more!

Umdat ul Twarikh (5 vols) - Is is related to Sikhi ?

Umdat ul Twarikh is a persian diary of the daily life of the Royal Court of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. It has been translated into english.

There are other similiar works, eg Khalsa Darbar records, of which original volumes still exist in Panjab Library, Patiala, but as of yet there are no plans to publish them.

There is a dearth of literature that exists as such, in various libraries throughout Panjab inc Lahore, but with very little plans to bring it to wider audiences.