Sign in to follow this  
dalsingh101

What You Guys Reading These Days?

I have been reading mahabharat for months it is so long I m just up to van parv (book 3, nearly done). It is kesri Mohan ganguli's translation of vedvyas' Mahabharat. It is a good read I find gurbani makes ALOT of sense after reading it. I want to read ramayan as well to see the Hindu religion at the time.

1 hour ago, tva prasad said:

I have been reading mahabharat for months it is so long I m just up to van parv (book 3, nearly done). It is kesri Mohan ganguli's translation of vedvyas' Mahabharat. It is a good read I find gurbani makes ALOT of sense after reading it. I want to read ramayan as well to see the Hindu religion at the time.

How many versions of Mahabharat are out there

Bhul chuk maaf

Just now, paapiman said:

How many versions of Mahabharat are out there

Bhul chuk maaf

I m guessing alot, but the best english translation is the kmg Mahabharat which can be found on the sacred texts website.

Just now, amardeep said:

In what way do you think Gurbani makes more sense.

I understand Hinduism more and all the concepts more than I did. Guru ji talks about all these concepts in gurbani and it makes more sense. In Mahabharat it explains the fruit of yagn and charity, etc. but in gurbani it says that doing jaap and simran of waheguru is way greater than all these things put together (motivate u more). The society at the time of guru nanak dev ji followed all these beliefs and guru ji write all this in gurbani. Tva Prasad swaiye make so much sense now.

On 05/02/2017 at 11:52 PM, tva prasad said:

I understand Hinduism more and all the concepts more than I did. Guru ji talks about all these concepts in gurbani and it makes more sense. In Mahabharat it explains the fruit of yagn and charity, etc. but in gurbani it says that doing jaap and simran of waheguru is way greater than all these things put together (motivate u more). The society at the time of guru nanak dev ji followed all these beliefs and guru ji write all this in gurbani. Tva Prasad swaiye make so much sense now.

I second this, and also the language aspect of reading/watching these programs helps me in understanding Gurmat.

On 04/02/2017 at 10:48 PM, tva prasad said:

Will try and take a look at that sometime.

12 minutes ago, chatanga1 said:

recently and also Bhai Gurdas varan. So much info in Bhai Gurdas Varan, and its not hard to read and understand at all.

Try reading his Kabit Saviye too. They are amazing.

Dhan Dhan Bhai saab Bhai Gurdas jee (greatest Sikh scholar)

Bhul chuk maaf

3 hours ago, amardeep said:

Please share your findings on Bhai Gurdaas Varan. 

Will do. I can see why the Varan are called the key to Guru Granth Sahib. They give a very good analysis of the event leading upto the birth of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Because they are short verses they can also be discussed with chlildren or people with short attention spans. I have only read vaar 1 and am currently re-reading it.

On 20/01/2018 at 5:37 PM, amardeep said:

Here is a link with Baba Gurbachan Singh Ji Bhindrawale Katha of the Vaar if anyone is intersested in listening to it. And a few more links i found in reading it in english.

http://www.gurmatveechar.com/audio.php?q=f&f=%2FKatha%2F02_Present_Day_Katha%2FGiani_Jaswant_Singh_Parwana%2FKatha_Bhai_Gurdas_Dian_Vaaran

https://www.searchgurbani.com/bhai-gurdas-vaaran/index/vaar

http://www.gurmatveechar.com/audio.php?q=f&f=%2FKatha%2F01_Puratan_Katha%2FSant_Gurbachan_Singh_(Bhindran_wale)%2FBhai_Gurdas_Dian_Varan

On 1/20/2018 at 11:07 PM, amardeep said:

Let me share with  you one Vaar of Bhai Gurdas.In this vaar Bhai Gurdas explains the  miserable plight of  a human Beign

Very interesting read in todays context:

ਕਲਿ ਆਈ ਕੁਤੇ ਮੁਹੀ ਖਾਜੁ ਹੋਇਆ ਮੁਰਦਾਰ ਗੁਸਾਈ।

Kali Aaee Kutay Muhee Khaaju Hoiaa Muradaar Gusaaee |

O God! in kaliyug , the mentality of the jiv has become like the mouth of dog which always seeks the dead to eat.

ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੩੦ ਪੰ. ੧

ਰਾਜੇ ਪਾਪ ਕਮਾਵਦੇ ਉਲਟੀ ਵਾੜ ਖੇਤ ਕਉ ਖਾਈ।

Raajay Paapu Kamaanvaday Ulatee Vaarh Khayt Kau Khaaee |

The kings are sinning as if the protective fence were itself devouring the (crop in the) field.

ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੩੦ ਪੰ. ੨

ਪਰਜਾ ਅੰਧੀ ਗਿਆਨ ਬਿਨੁ ਕੂੜੁ ਕੁਸਤਿ ਮੁਖਹੁ ਆਲਾਈ।

Prajaa Andhee Giaan Binu Koorh Kusatu Mukhahu Aalaaee |

Bereft of knowledge, the blind people are uttering falsehood.

ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੩੦ ਪੰ. ੩

ਚੇਲੇ ਸਾਜ ਵਜਾਇਦੇ ਨਚਨਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਭਾਈ

Chaylay Saaj Vajaaiday Nachani Guroo Bahutu Bidhi Bhaaee |

Now the gurus are dancing variously to the tunes played by the disciples.

ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੩੦ ਪੰ. ੪

ਸੇਵਕ ਬੈਠਨਿ ਘਰਾ ਵਿਚਿ ਗੁਰ ਉਠਿ ਘਰੀ ਤਿਨਾੜੇ ਜਾਈ।

Chaylay Baithhani Gharaan Vichi Guru Uthhi Ghareen Tinaarhay Jaaee |

The taughts now sit at home and the teachers go their abodes.

ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੩੦ ਪੰ. ੫

ਕਾਜੀ ਹੋਏ ਰਿਸਵਤੀ ਵਢੀ ਲੈ ਕੈ ਹਕ ਗਵਾਈ।

Kaajee Hoay Risavatee Vaddhee Lai Kai Haku Gavaaee |

Qazis enjoy bribes and getting the same they have lost their high regards and position.

ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੩੦ ਪੰ. ੬

ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਪੁਰਖੈ ਦਾਮ ਹਿਤੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਆਇ ਕਿਥਾਊ ਜਾਈ।

Isatree Purakhay Daami Hitu Bhaavai Aai Kidaaoon Jaaee |

Man and woman love each other for riches, may they come from anywhere.

ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੩੦ ਪੰ. ੭

ਵਰਤਿਆ ਪਾਪ ਸਭਸ ਜਗ ਮਾਂਹੀ ॥੩੦॥

Varatiaa Paapu Sabhasi Jagi Maanhee ||30 ||

The sin has become ubiquitous in the whole world.

ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੩੦ ਪੰ. ੮

Just picked up:

Sophia. Princess, Suffragette, Revolutionary by Anita Anand

(It's about Maharaja Ranjit Singh's granddaughter incase you haven't figured).

The blurb on the back cover says:

In 1876 Sophia Duleep Singh was born into royalty. Her father, M. Duleep Singh, was heir to the Kingdom of Sikhs, a realm that stretched from Kashmir to the cities of Lahore and Peshawar. It was a territory irresistible to the British, who plundered everything. Exiled to England, the dispossessed Maharajah transformed his estate at Elveden in Suffolk into a Moghul palace. Sophia, god-daughter of Queen Victoria, was raised a genteel aristocratic Englishwomen. Sophia transcended her heritage to devote herself to battling injustice and inequality. Her causes were the struggle for Indian independence, the welfare of Indian soldiers in the First World War - and the fight for female suffrage.  

13 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Just picked up:

Sophia. Princess, Suffragette, Revolutionary by Anita Anand

(It's about Maharaja Ranjit Singh's granddaughter incase you haven't figured).

Great. I've had it for some time but have only glanced through it.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this