Pictures Of Afghanistan

HSD1

Came across these pictures of Afghanistan from before their troubles.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2013/01/28/podlich-afghanistan-1960s-photos/5846/

Couldnt find any pictures of Sikhs or Gurudwaras amongst them (but there are some pics of jalibeyah) but definitely interesting to see what Punjab's neighbour used to be like.

Here are some more:

http://www.pbase.com/qleap/afghan

Edited by HSD1

• 3 months later...

I know HSD posted these pics a while ago but I only just got to see them last night.

It was really illuminating to see a place that a lot of us probably automatically associate with backwardness, violence and poverty, so unlike that.

It really is a striking warning of the dangers of foreign interference in a country and how this can set long term declines.

Poor Afghans....they've been dragged into the dark ages.

It also makes me think about how our own lot have been dragged into backward pendu yokelness through the colonial experience.

I think that woman is an Indian teacher at the american school.

As well as the dangers of foreign influence and intervention there is the other side of the coin too - homegrown fundamentalism. Stuck between those two forces, it's no wonder Afghanistan is a mess. If we ever had our own country there would be no guarantee we could ever keep foreigners and fundamentalists in check.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think that woman is an Indian teacher at the american school.

As well as the dangers of foreign influence and intervention there is the other side of the coin too - homegrown fundamentalism. Stuck between those two forces, it's no wonder Afghanistan is a mess. If we ever had our own country there would be no guarantee we could ever keep foreigners and fundamentalists in check.

Worth tryign though, don't you think?

And I wonder even in those times how they would feel about half of their country being in Pakistan.

Read the comments though, reading them right now interesting though.

Edited by GtLoc

• 2 months later...

Worth tryign though, don't you think?

And I wonder even in those times how they would feel about half of their country being in Pakistan.

Read the comments though, reading them right now interesting though.

Of course it's worth trying. But we need to see and avoid the pitfalls that we usually walk into so blithely.