Different Types/stages Of Naam

I was thinking about topic this morning when I came across the following pangti in SGGS on Ang 562

where Guru Arjan Dev Ji says.

God summoned me to the Mansion of His Presence, and blessed me with the Ambrosial Nectar of His Name.
mahal bulaa-i-aa parabh amrit bhoonchaa.

Which got me thinking about the different types of naam. I know about :

1) Waheguru Gurmantar Naam

2) Anhad Shabad/Naad Naam

3) Parkash Jyot Naam which we hear about in Gurbani

But what kind of Naam is that which Waheguru himself bestows upon his bhagat?

Edited by Sat1176

ਮਹਲਿ ਬੁਲਾਇਆ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਭੂੰਚਾ ॥

The Lord called me into his palace and there I feasted on Amrit.
ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਊਚਾ ॥੪॥੧॥

Nanak says my Lord is exalted.

As I understand, "naam" means the same thing that "name" means in English. Gurmantar, anhad, shabad, parkash and jyot are not names but nouns. Waheguru is the only name you have there.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Being this thread related to different stages of Nam as well, Sree Guru Nanak Dev Maharaj in Raag Sorath, tells us in short:

Tum Saachay, ham Tum hee raachay, Shabad bhayd fun saachay.
You are True, and I am absorbed into You; through the jugtee of the Shabad, I shall ultimately become True as well.

He is telling us that: Wahiguru is the ultimate, the highest stage of permanent and unchangeable truth.

But, through a perfect technique, namely Nam Simran, anyone can become as true and eternal like Him, by merging in Him, through that very technique, that very jugtee.

This is the mahanta, the wadeeayee of His Nam.

Wah wah Saachay Badshah, Toon Beant Apaar Soami.

Edited by harsharan000

Discourse given by Raj Yogi Sant baba Attar Singh Ji Reru Sahib to Sant baba isher singh ji rara sahib.

source: Babaniya Kahniya book by Sant baba waryam Singh Ji

Five state of Naam.

1. Naam Da Saroop
2. Naam Da Karan
3 Naam da Abhyaas
4. Naam Di Audhi
5. Naam Da Phaul(Fruit)

1. Naam Saroop :

There are two types of Naam Saroop - Varan Aatmak and Dhun Aatmak.

a. Varan Atamak- To Purify eyes, recite/read it using your eyes

Akhri Naam Akhri Salah || (Panna- 4 )

so example- write Vahiguroo, Satnaam, Ram on paper and read it. This is called Varan Aatmak.

b. Dhun Aatmak- Listen it with your ears. Listen to naam dhuni via ears.

Dhun Meh Dhyan Meh Janiya Gurmukh Akth Kahani || (Panna- 879)

According to Moukh Panth Parkash- Naam Da Vachaak Akhand Tat Budh(Gyan) is discussed.

According to Pantjali, naam is consider as Gyan da Saroop example- cleanse of budhi.

2. Naam Da Karan(Reason) : Fear is consider Naam Da Karan. Fear of jamdoots, hell, 84 lakh reincarnations, fear of coming in womb causing naam to reside in this being.

there are many types of fear just like example- mouse is afraid of cat, cat is afraid of dog, tiger is afraid of hunter with gun..just like that whole world is in fear.

Sagal Saamgri Daraeh Baiepi Binh Dar Karnaiee Haaraa || (Panna - 999)

3. Naam Da Abhayas: First recite with tongue then do simran through breaths(swasa) example- doing simran with coming and going breaths (inhale- Vahi and exhaling- Guru)

Jinna Sas Garas Na Visraie Har Nama Mann Mant ||

Dhan Sie Saiee Nanaka Pooran Soiii Sant ||

(panna- 319)

Jina Saas Garas Na Visraie Sai Pooraie Pardhan || (Panna - 313)

Then automatically naam simran wil start happening via Surati(Dhyaan)..one just needs to do have phurna(thought) in the surat and it will start happening.

Then one will feel like every hair(rom rom) of the body reciting vahiguroo's naam just like tongue. One will hear naam simran dhuni from rom rom

Gurmukh Rom Rom Har Dhaavaaye || (Panna- 941)

4. Naam Di Audhi- In this state one will feel that every milli inch of his creation is reciting Vahiguroo's Naam.

Animals, Birds, Earth, Sky including 5 elements of body reciting his Vahiguroo's Naam.

Farida Houu Balhari Tin Pankhiya Jungal Jinna Vas ||
Kakarh Chughan Thal Vasan Rab Na Chhudan Pass || (Panna- 1383)

Dhart Patal Akaas Hai Meri Jindaree
Sabh Har Har Naam Dhaavaye Ram ||

5. Naam Da Phaul(Fruit) - One who meditates on Naam becomes his(Naami) roop.

Har Har Jan Duii ek hai Bib Bichaar Kuch Nahi || (Panna- 273)

This is the last stage of prema bhagti marg/shabad surat marg. Bhagti starts from two- sikh and Guru, Ishvar and Bhagat and ends with only one.

Gur Chelee Ki Sandh Milaei

After this discourse..baba attar singh ji further clarified/clear on common doubt people had.

Some people wonder - is there any other need for different mantar from mahapursh once amrit given by panj pyares and Naam Mantra is given by them ?

Answer: In Gurmat, naam amrit is only one

Nanak Amrit Ek Hai Dooja Amrit Nahi ||
Nanak Amrit mannaie Maih Paiyee Gurparsad || (Panna- 1238)

Naam amrit is one. However, way of recitations is different according to state of each person...it should be only given by Mahapursh to Jagaysoo.

Just like in the hospital there are many medications ..pateint does not know which medication to take ...only doctor can recommend specific medication for specific pateint.

Rog Duor Duovaie Bujjaie Ta Vaeed Sujaan || (Panna- 148)

If within panj pyares there is one who is mahapursh and pooran abhayasi who can given jagaasoo discourses according to each state of mind and who can clear doubts(duobta) from jagasoo mind then there is no need for person to go to any other mahapursh to get one on one spiritual(atamik), naam simran discourse.

Although if panj pyares who can only give you maryada ie- keep 5 kakars, not commit certain kuraihits but not any atamik bachans( spiritual discourses) then jaagasuoo needs spiritual guidance(atamik bachans) from a mahapursh.

Note: Regardless if panj pyares have elevated to spiritual level or not. In the hazoori of Guru Maharaj they are Guru Saroop. One should not criticise them ever...Have full faith in them and take amrit from them as if you are taking amrit from Guru Gobind Singh Ji himself.

According to Gursikhi Maryada-

Mahapursh prefers that jagauasoo first takes dasam patsah da amrit before taking any kind of atamik discourse.

Gurmantar and Mool mantar is same given by Panj Pyares...it's same mantar that is been going on as parampara from Guru Maharaj time.

But ways of meditating on them (Karam, Upasana, Gyan) can be only gained by mahapursh/tatveda/tarkali/bhramgyani.

Hence, these doubts are not good that after taking amrit..why people go to mahapursh to get jaugtiya(ways) of doing naam and do atamik bachan billas ?

Everyone can take amrit phsyically in sanskar roop but gurmukh take one step forward do naam kamiya/abhyas via sangat of sant mahapursh.. why?

Reason is only because mahapursh have done naam kaamiya by infusing shabad into surat. That's why you will see mahapursh always reflect on people as sun reflect its ray.

Naam is quite deep as naam connects both sargun and nirgun aspect of vahiguroo together (see naam mehima in gurbani and also by maha kavi santokh singh ji in nanak parkash). Most of us, confine naam to outer layer of shabad which is varan atamak but naam is also dhuni-resosance of shabad which is dhun atamak and also gyan of shabad- naam gyan da saroop.

Here is naam in stages- three types of naam in stages , please see-attachment-

post-3-0-71424500-1390352207_thumb.jpg

The following is from Sant Baba Isher Singh Ji's Diary:

Types of Naam: There are 2 types of Naam:

1. Japa (Varan Atmak Bani/Naam): It is the Outer Sound Principle. It is also known as the language of the Pranas or the vital airs for it depends on different types of vibrations in the air. All these types of Japas give solace of varying degrees and one gets peace of mind of a temporary nature only, be­cause the various bodily chakra involved in them are of a lower order, situated below Third Eye. Varn-Atmak words pave the way to Dhun-Atmak Shabd and are thus essential aids in stilling the mind of oscillations, purging it of all impurities and rendering it capable of apprehending the Dhun-Atmak current within. The Varn-Atmak words may and do differ because of lingual differences, but the Dhun-Atmak Shabd being the Life-Principle of the spirit or soul is the same throughout. It can be further sub-divided into 4 subdivisions:
    1. Baikhri: These are labial sounds or sounds which are uttered with the aid of tongue and lips. It is when God's Name is recited with tongue and lips. It is the first technique and holds 1 unit in power.
    2. Madhma: These are guttural sounds which are produced in the throat or at the back or root of the tongue and palate. It is when God's Name is recited within the throat but without the use of tongue. This is 10 times the power of Baikhri.
    3. Pashyanti: These are sounds which originate from the heart center. It is when God's Name is recited within the heart but without the use of tongue. This is 100 times the power of Baikhri.
    4. Para: These are sounds which arise through vibrations from the navel center. It is when God's Name is recited within the navel but without the use of tongue. This is 1000 times the power of Baikhri.
  2. Ajapa (Dhun Atmak Bani/Naam): This is the Eternal Sound Current reverberating endlessly in every living thing. It is an Unwritten Law and an Unspoken Language. It becomes audible, however, when a spirit rises above body-consciousness. Here one has just to listen to the all-pervading Naam or Shabd. As this Sound cannot be expressed in any symbolic form, it is ex­pressionless. It may be contacted above the sensory plane, behind the centre of the two eyebrows. Here one starts hearing Anhad Shabad. It generally referred to as Naam down to Trikuti; and below Daswan Dwar, where the causal region extends, It is called the Trigun Bani, or Sound within the regions of the three gunas. It is also described as Brahm Janjalla, the network of Brahm, the God of creation. This Trigun Bani or Brahm Janjalla is still within the domain of Kal or Dissolution and hence must disintegrate. HE is beyond Japa, Ajapa, and Anhad.

More details are posted under: http://satgur.net/Articles/Spiritual/8

• 9 months later...

From the very little I know, when doing simran our mind can hear sound that is not Naam.
Could someone please explain what is Trigun Bani or Brahm Janjalla? Is that referring to Poan da Shabad? If so, what is that?

How do we differentiate from Poan da Shabad and Sehaj Dhune (Naam)?

Edited by Truthseeker

From the very little I know, when doing simran our mind can hear sound that is not Naam.

Could someone please explain what is Trigun Bani or Brahm Janjalla? Is that referring to Poan da Shabad? If so, what is that?

How do we differentiate from Poan da Shabad and Sehaj Dhune (Naam)?

Dear Truthseeker,

the traigun bani or braham janjalla, is the sound which resounds ine the region of Braham, means below Parbraham, and this sound is not the real Shabad as such in Sach Khand.

This sound is stiil under the domain of mind or Kaal.

It is only by the power of Shabad Guru, that one can cross this region, by holding on to it, and reach Sach Khand.

Sat Sree Akal.

How do we know if we are listening to real Shabad (Naam) or traigun bani, braham janjalla?

Well ji :) harsharan ji said "It is only by the power of Shabad Guru, that one can cross this region, by holding on to it, and reach Sach Khand."

Is anything happening to you that could even remotely resemble what harsharan ji is describing...

Read Guru Ji's excitement, joy, wonder, amazement when Guru Ji talks about riding the waves of shabad and getting darshan of Waheguru....

if you cannot relate to those things then chances are you are not hearing the Shabad Guru...if there is any doubt in mind as to what you are experiencing then in my opinion, the wonder has yet to manifest fully...so keep going and one day you will probably 'just know'

:)

Harsharan ji's post describes the answer quite well.

Let me also add that ALL the sounds and visions even, are part of the illusion...you are still in maya. it's stll trai-gun.

This doesn't mean that the naad you may be hearing and feeling is false, because this naad is still coming from that same source of sach-khand.....however, you are still wrapped in the illusion and the shabad is not fully manifest as the sehaj dhun in sach khand.

You will know when it's sehaj dhun or pure anhad bani because it will be pure para-bani coming drenched in amrit when waheguru reveals the Nijh ghar/sach-khand to you. At this stage you will see/feel/become with the Brahm jyot.....and ONLY then will you yourself be able to confirm that it is the purest, truest Anhad Bani you are hearing.

The sounds we can hear at early stages of different instruments..etc.. are all paon de shabad and related to the air/pavan. They change as you progress and so does the naad.

Initially the naad is intermittent but then gets clearer and more intense until it becomes 24hr.

In this part of the journey I think that it varies vastly for each and every one of us and according to our own gunas.

AT the same time you will get 'downloads' of knowledge, gyaan and understanding about 'Yourself''...and according to your own gunas.

We will often question to ourselves if the naad or sounds are genuine and true anhad. ... the answer is quite simple because if we are questioning, then we must surely be still be wrapped in the illusion more than being drenched in amrit rus/naam

When we experience the -brahm jyot- amrit- prakash,- anhad in it's purest and highest form in sachkhand..... only then, will you have no doubts and be able to confirm to your self. I'm sure you won't be questioning or doubting in any way.

Gurbani talks about these different levels of illusion including Gandarve Nagri, Mrig trishna, Maya Jaal...which is all part of kaal to stop and divert you. This occurs ALL the way up to the doorstep of waheguru's sacha mahal. And only until HE opens it and you get prakash are you out of kaal's boundary.

ALL the sounds and visions even, are part of the illusion...you are still in maya. it's stll trai-gun.

This doesn't mean that the naad you may be hearing and feeling is false, because this naad is still coming from that same source of sach-khand.....however, you are still wrapped in the illusion and the shabad is not fully manifest as the sehaj dhun in sach khand.

You will know when it's sehaj dhun or pure anhad bani because it will be pure para-bani coming drenched in amrit when waheguru reveals the Nijh ghar/sach-khand to you. At this stage you will see/feel/become with the Brahm jyot.....and ONLY then will you yourself be able to confirm that it is the purest, truest Anhad Bani you are hearing.

The sounds we can hear at early stages of different instruments..etc.. are all paon de shabad and related to the air/pavan. They change as you progress and so does the naad.

Initially the naad is intermittent but then gets clearer and more intense until it becomes 24hr.

In this part of the journey I think that it varies vastly for each and every one of us and according to our own gunas.

AT the same time you will get 'downloads' of knowledge, gyaan and understanding about 'Yourself''...and according to your own gunas.

We will often question to ourselves if the naad or sounds are genuine and true anhad. ... the answer is quite simple because if we are questioning, then we must surely be still be wrapped in the illusion more than being drenched in amrit rus/naam

When we experience the -brahm jyot- amrit- prakash,- anhad in it's purest and highest form in sachkhand..... only then, will you have no doubts and be able to confirm to your self. I'm sure you won't be questioning or doubting in any way.

Gurbani talks about these different levels of illusion including Gandarve Nagri, Mrig trishna, Maya Jaal...which is all part of kaal to stop and divert you. This occurs ALL the way up to the doorstep of waheguru's sacha mahal. And only until HE opens it and you get prakash are you out of kaal's boundary.

Awesome. One of the most complete posts I have come through....

Congrats brother Lucky, keep up the high spirits....

Sat Sree Akal.

Edited by harsharan000

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...