Nitnem In Rehatnamas Vs Rehatmarayadas

Mr Sardar

Good question! I also wana add some of my own related questions. Why is there a shift from doing simran of Ram naam to reading banis in teh first place?

ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਬੋਲਤ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਾ ਮਿਲਿ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਤੋਰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

There is a strong focus in Guru Granth Sahib, that we should do simran, kirtan (not what you think it is, its not singing, kirtan means to praise) and bhajans. There is no mention of reading banis (not that reading bani is bad, that's not what I'm saying). So most sikhs during this time, that's from Gurus 1- 9, if not 10, did not read banis. The focus is on obtaining the anahat bani, that is Unspoken bani, bani without any form that automatically comes from doing simran and such.

And then you have the rehitnamas where reading banis enters the picture. Now reading banis is kinda similar to doing simran and kirtan. But why is there focus on reciting bani and not just on simran and kirtan? AND why is there a focus on reading bani rather than obtaining your own?

Then much later Singh Sabha Britishwale come into the picture, take that a step further and make it into something that everybody has to do, and if you do not then they label you as the slow kid, sehajdhari lol. And like you said they added more banis. Why did they increase the amount of banis? and why was reading banis defined as the definition of a true sikh?

1. Regarding Naam Japna or Gurbani Parhna
Fourth Mehl:
One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name. Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar. Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased. Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up (i.e. all day long), he is to meditate on the Lord's Name. One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind. That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed. Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||
To answer your question, Naam Simran and Gurbani are both essential. Take a physical bath after waking up early, then take the spiritual bathe to cleanse your inner. This is done by Naam Japna till sun rises and then reading Bani. Afterwards when you head off to work (behndia uthdia har naam dhiavey, as we are encouraged to do Kirat and not live off charity) you remember Him while doing all works or even household chores.
A few more tuks:
ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਸਦ ਉਚਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਮੰਨਿ ਵਸਾਇਆ ॥
Whoever utters the Word of the Guru's Bani - the Lord is enshrined in his mind.
ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਇਸੁ ਜਗ ਮਹਿ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਕਰਮਿ ਵਸੈ ਮਨਿ ਆਏ ॥੧॥
Gurbani is the Light to illuminate this world; by His Grace, it comes to abide within the mind.
ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਸੰਤ ਮਿਲਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਦੇਵਾ ਜੋ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਮੁਖਿ ਚਉਦਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੨॥
I dedicate my mind to those Saints of the Lord, who chant the Word of the Guru's Bani with their mouths.
ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਸਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੁ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਬਣੀਐ ॥
The Word of the True Guru's Bani is the embodiment of Truth; through Gurbani, one becomes perfect.
ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਸਖੀ ਅਨੰਦੁ ਗਾਵੈ ॥
The companions blissfully sing the songs of the Guru's Bani.
ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਬੋਲੇ ਗੁਣ ਬਾਣੀ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥੪॥੫॥
Servant Nanak chants the Glorious Words of the Guru's Bani; through them, one is absorbed into the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

2. Nitnem?

Deep topic. Most Puratan Granths differ on the Nitnem but the core stays the same 99% of the time, Japji (sometimes also Jaap) in morning, Rehraas in evening and Sohila before sleeping (Tankhahnama, Chaupa Singh, etc). Anand Sahib is only mentioned as a part of nitnem in Prem Sumarg if I am not mistaken. Tav Prasad and Chaupai are not mentioned in the 7-8 Granths I read mentioning Nitnem. Perhaps there is a reason why Japji Sahib, Sodar Rehraas and Sohila were kept outside the raags and came first.

1. The argument that Jap Jaap means bani from both Granths is not logical, wouldn't is just be easier to name the 1-2-3-4 Banis necessary to recite? Besides that how would Sikhs know what Banis from SGGS and DG are to be read if they simply say those names? Besides some rehats clearly say 'Jap Jaap due' which means both these banis or some even go to the extent of saying you have to recite Japji x times, Jaap y times so I wouldn't use the argument that it refers to Banis of both Granths.

2. The Present Maryada was made after researching 37 Rehatnamas/books, there is a huge chance that Prem Sumarg is one of them as it is included in several Rehat Bodh Granths written in the 1880s. Besides that no one is stopping you from reading several Granths and see what Nitnem they prescribe. The closest you can get to present nitnem is Nirmala granth Sudharm Marg if I'm not mistaken.

Quite a few scholars have put Rehraas as Sodar Sopurkh only (SGGS 8-12) (i.e. Bhai Vir Singh, Macauliffe, etc).

3. There are enough sources which mention the Nitnem, you just have to read puratan granths, rehatnamas.

why? do you think nitnem was never ever documented at all and all made up? if it was made up then what is else was made up even khanda da pahul?

I think you have misunderstood my post. I think it is totally unwise to question the validity of banis or which or how many should be read, or ask for documented proof, especially on forums. A lot of young easy influenced people read these forums and to create doubt or break sharda of anyone would be one hell of a paap. This kind of topic could very much do that.

Even claims that simran is higher than paath or vice versa could cause confusion in minds. That's all I meant.

Edited by Sat1176

I think avoiding confronting very important but contentious issues like this is plain giddarhness.

Edited by dalsingh101

• 2 months later...