Gurmantar Or Mool Mantar?

What are you sick of exactly?

In the pit of my stomach there is this longing.I look at all the maya in this world and get sick of it.I want to be one with waheguru.So I want to be away from maya when I'm in the maya.I want to be dead while I'm alive.What I really want is waheguru.I feel so scared and vulnerable the past few days.I want rehit,gurbani etc.I need help.

Hang on Jaikaara.

In the pit of my stomach there is this longing.I look at all the maya in this world and get sick of it.I want to be one with waheguru.So I want to be away from maya when I'm in the maya.I want to be dead while I'm alive.What I really want is waheguru.I feel so scared and vulnerable the past few days.I want rehit,gurbani etc.I need help.

Ok I understand. What is maya? And what about it makes you feel sick of it?

Edited by BhagatSingh

A mantra from my limited knowledge should be a short compact prayer that one chants to help still the mind so that the mind is drawn toward it rather than other useless distracting thoughts. The mantra should also be able to sync with the breath easily and not cause jerkiness. They key focus behind most mantras is to focus on the sound of the mantra."Dhun Mah Dhiaan" when synchronized with the breath. It is easier to go with a short one worded mantra to a still state than a long mantra. The mool mantra is more about the attributes of Waheguru and when chanting you might be thinking about those in your mind. This is a very good and evokes pyaar for Waheguru and is a form of constant remembrance. But is it helping to still the mind or making it more active? I suppose the same applies for any kirtan or paath depending how your are singing or reciting. There will be times when you will enjoy one over the other and all are forms bhagti don't get me wrong. When reciting the mool mantra you might not be thinking of the internal meanings and just japping whilst focusing on the dhun of the words. In that regards sometimes longer mantras are easier to jap than single words. Japping the mool mantra will help one to get into a routine which might be more difficult if you jumped straight into japping Waheguru. Boredom does kick in if your not feeling any anand or peace during the jap.

I think it was Sant Baba Isher Singh who stated the order is as follows depending on their avasta and state of their mind of the seeker.

1. Bani paaths

2. Mool mantar jaap

3. Waheguru jaap

I don't think anyone of us can tell you what to do or not to do for we are all trying to reach the abode of Waheguru. It's going to be a very personal decision what works for you and you will have to make that decision for yourself unless you consult a mahapursh who instructs you to do more of one over the other.

Personally speaking I now read Guru Maharaj for inspiration and gyaan then keep japing Waheguru and try and go deeper within.

Not sure why but over the last few days, gyaan or posts that I have heard or read which catch my attention are along the lines of keep japping the mantra until sleep comes. I have come across that same message from a number of different sources and think that is they way through to the other side...

Singh123456777, pick one and stick with it for a while and start walking on the path. Rest will come to you as the need arises and as you progress along the path. Don't start questioning our doubting once you pick a mantar. Run with it for a while and see how you get on. Both the Gurmantar and Mool mantar should yield results if done with sharda, pyaar and focus.

If you have feelings of sickness from your stomach it could be nausea caused by food poisoning or something else. Maybe you are covering up real stomach pain with hindu philosophy of absolute detachment from maya.

There are many aspects to look at this but one of aspects being in stages - Start off with Mool Mantar make sure you don't count how many if it does not help rather than start off with one hour make sure you pay attention to dhun and or arth of Mool Mantra (attributes of akaal purkh) as gurbani says dhun mein dhyan, dhyaan mein Jaaniya start off with that forget about next stages it will spontaneously come to you.

A mantra from my limited knowledge should be a short compact prayer that one chants to help still the mind so that the mind is drawn toward it rather than other useless distracting thoughts. The mantra should also be able to sync with the breath easily and not cause jerkiness. They key focus behind most mantras is to focus on the sound of the mantra."Dhun Mah Dhiaan" when synchronized with the breath. It is easier to go with a short one worded mantra to a still state than a long mantra. The mool mantra is more about the attributes of Waheguru and when chanting you might be thinking about those in your mind. This is a very good and evokes pyaar for Waheguru and is a form of constant remembrance. But is it helping to still the mind or making it more active? I suppose the same applies for any kirtan or paath depending how your are singing or reciting. There will be times when you will enjoy one over the other and all are forms bhagti don't get me wrong. When reciting the mool mantra you might not be thinking of the internal meanings and just japping whilst focusing on the dhun of the words. In that regards sometimes longer mantras are easier to jap than single words. Japping the mool mantra will help one to get into a routine which might be more difficult if you jumped straight into japping Waheguru. Boredom does kick in if your not feeling any anand or peace during the jap.

I think it was Sant Baba Isher Singh who stated the order is as follows depending on their avasta and state of their mind of the seeker.

1. Bani paaths

2. Mool mantar jaap

3. Waheguru jaap

I don't think anyone of us can tell you what to do or not to do for we are all trying to reach the abode of Waheguru. It's going to be a very personal decision what works for you and you will have to make that decision for yourself unless you consult a mahapursh who instructs you to do more of one over the other.

Personally speaking I now read Guru Maharaj for inspiration and gyaan then keep japing Waheguru and try and go deeper within.

Not sure why but over the last few days, gyaan or posts that I have heard or read which catch my attention are along the lines of keep japping the mantra until sleep comes. I have come across that same message from a number of different sources and think that is they way through to the other side...

Singh123456777, pick one and stick with it for a while and start walking on the path. Rest will come to you as the need arises and as you progress along the path. Don't start questioning our doubting once you pick a mantar. Run with it for a while and see how you get on. Both the Gurmantar and Mool mantar should yield results if done with sharda, pyaar and focus.

Thank you for this post veer ji.

There are many aspects to look at this but one of aspects being in stages - Start off with Mool Mantar make sure you don't count how many if it does not help rather than start off with one hour make sure you pay attention to dhun and or arth of Mool Mantra (attributes of akaal purkh) as gurbani says dhun mein dhyan, dhyaan mein Jaaniya start off with that forget about next stages it will spontaneously come to you.

Thank you for replying.I will try mool mantar first :)

I would say using a count method isn't such a bad thing for beginners to build up a habit pattern. But eventually you want to let go of the counting.

The first time I undertook mool mantar jaap was after I visited the bhora sahib of Sant Baba Nand Singh in Nanaksar gurdwara. To go down there you had a promise to undertake a certain number of paaths. When the sevadar stopped me and asked if I could do Guru Granth Sahib the path to which I replied No. Then he asked if I could sukhmani sahib and again I said no. Then he asked if I could do mool mantar and I said Yes. He said ok I want you to do x malas for 40 days. My mother jumped in said she would complete the sehaj path on my behalf and the sevadar said no. We want to get this child started in doing something by himself. After about 20 something days I started seeing floating lights which was quite scarey because I was quite young. I used to think I was about to have darshan or something and used to get scared and stop. One mahapursh called me fool for stopping. He said for all you know Baba Nand Singh might have going to appear and you got scared and opened your eyes. I was like, What!!!!

2nd time I undertook mool mantar was to complete the 125,000 as advised and inspired by listening to Giani Thakur Singh. This really took ages because I couldn't do so many at first. But the long milestone was one of the best things ever. I started really enjoying it and wanted to do more and more.

Setting a goal can be a good thing because you will set yourself a milestone that will take time to complete. It is very easy to start doing something for a couple of days then stop and not make it a part of your daily routine.

Likewise with Waheguru Simran starting with 5 minutes a day and building up from there might be a good way to go... I wouldn't recommend a mala for that one because all your dhyaan will be on the hands rather than the dhun of the mantar.

Waheguru

When I went to Nanaksar the first time they said I had to do this or this or this to visit the bhora sahib.I did not have time to see the bhora sahib that day.I went again a month later and I asked if I need to do the paths etc and they said no go on ahead.It was weird.

I would say using a count method isn't such a bad thing for beginners to build up a habit pattern. But eventually you want to let go of the counting.

The first time I undertook mool mantar jaap was after I visited the bhora sahib of Sant Baba Nand Singh in Nanaksar gurdwara. To go down there you had a promise to undertake a certain number of paaths. When the sevadar stopped me and asked if I could do Guru Granth Sahib the path to which I replied No. Then he asked if I could sukhmani sahib and again I said no. Then he asked if I could do mool mantar and I said Yes. He said ok I want you to do x malas for 40 days. My mother jumped in said she would complete the sehaj path on my behalf and the sevadar said no. We want to get this child started in doing something by himself. After about 20 something days I started seeing floating lights which was quite scarey because I was quite young. I used to think I was about to have darshan or something and used to get scared and stop. One mahapursh called me fool for stopping. He said for all you know Baba Nand Singh might have going to appear and you got scared and opened your eyes. I was like, What!!!!

2nd time I undertook mool mantar was to complete the 125,000 as advised and inspired by listening to Giani Thakur Singh. This really took ages because I couldn't do so many at first. But the long milestone was one of the best things ever. I started really enjoying it and wanted to do more and more.

Setting a goal can be a good thing because you will set yourself a milestone that will take time to complete. It is very easy to start doing something for a couple of days then stop and not make it a part of your daily routine.

Likewise with Waheguru Simran starting with 5 minutes a day and building up from there might be a good way to go... I wouldn't recommend a mala for that one because all your dhyaan will be on the hands rather than the dhun of the mantar.

How long did it take to do 125,000 mool mantars?

How long did it take to do 125,000 mool mantars?

Took me about a year because I didn't do it every day. I never set myself a time limit to do it in x number of days. Just set myself a goal to complete that amount. All depends the reasons behind doing it. Was recited up to 'Nanak Hosi Bhi Sach'. No shortcuts up to 'Gurparsad'. lol

Took me about a year because I didn't do it every day. I never set myself a time limit to do it in x number of days. Just set myself a goal to complete that amount. All depends the reasons behind doing it. Was recited up to 'Nanak Hosi Bhi Sach'. No shortcuts up to 'Gurparsad'. lol

Did you feel enlightened after doing it?

Don't judge doing paath from my experiences. I'm no benchmark you should be comparing against or be striving for similar experiences. Each person could experience something completely different, special or nothing.

Gaining enlightenment is a very high avasta bro and I am certainly a long way away from such a stage. Seeing a few coloured lights or hearing a few sounds doesn't make one enlightened buddy. I'm just like one of you guys, trust me, with same hopes wishes, desires and long list of faults and issues...... :-)

Edited by Sat1176

Don't judge doing paath from my experiences. I'm no benchmark you should be comparing against or be striving for similar experiences. Each person could experience something completely different, special or nothing.

Gaining enlightenment is a very high avasta bro and I am certainly a long way away from such a stage. Seeing a few coloured lights or hearing a few sounds doesn't make one enlightened buddy. I'm just like one of you guys, trust me, with same hopes wishes, desires and long list of faults and issues...... :-)

Dont be absurd.I have read your experience in the other thread and you are one of the main people who give me hope that a normal person can do Bhagti.You give me inspiration.

Having an experience and being enlightened are worlds apart buddy is what I mean. Nevertheless I'm humbled that you feel inspired to want to make an effort in this area yourself. That was the very reason I went against the norm of sharing experiences. You rock on brother and share with us how you get on so others can be inspired from you... :D

Having an experience and being enlightened are worlds apart buddy is what I mean. Nevertheless I'm humbled that you feel inspired to want to make an effort in this area yourself. That was the very reason I went against the norm of sharing experiences. You rock on brother and share with us how you get on so others can be inspired from you... :D

I can only hope to be like you. Edited by Singh123456777