Timeless Wisdom

harsharan000

A Monk of the Ramakrishna Mission was being interviewed by a journalist from NY....

The journalist started interviewing the Monk as planned earlier.

Journalist - "Sir, in your last lecture, you told us about "Contact" and  "Connection." It's really confusing. Can you explain?"

The Monk smiled and apparently deviating from the question asked the journalist: 

"Are you from New York?"

Journalist: "Yeah..."

Monk: "Who are there at home?"

The Journalist felt that the Monk was trying to avoid answering his question since this was a very personal and unwarranted question. Yet the  journalist said: "Mother had expired. Father is there. Three brothers and one sister. All married..."

The Monk, with a smile on his face, asked again: "Do you talk to your father?"

The  journalist looked visibly annoyed...

The Monk: "When did you talk to him last?" 

The journalist, supressing his annoyance said: "May be a month ago."

The Monk: "Do you brothers and sisters meet often? When did you meet last as a family gathering?"

At this point, sweat appeared on the forehead of the journalist. 

It seemed that the Monk was interviewing the Journalist.

With a sigh, the Journalist said: "We met last at Christmas two  years ago."

The Monk: "How many days did you all stay together?"

The Journalist (wiping the sweat on his brow) said: "Three days..."

Monk: "How much time did you spend with your Father, sitting right beside him?"

The journalist looking  perplexed and embarassed and started scribbling something on a paper...

The Monk: "Did you have breakfast, lunch or dinner together? Did you ask how he was? Did you ask how his days are passing after your mother's death?"

Drops of tears started to flow from the eyes of the journalist.

The Monk held the hand of the journalist and said: "Don't be embrassed, upset or sad. I am sorry if I have hurt you unknowingly... But this is basically the answer to your question about "Contact and Connection ." You have 'Contact' with your father but you don't have 'Connection' with him. You are not connected to him. Connection is between heart and heart... 
Sitting together, sharing meals and caring for each other, touching, shaking hands, having eye contact, spending some time together... All your  brothers and sisters have 'Contact' but no  'Connection' with each other..."

The journalist wiped his eyes and said : "Thanks for teaching me a fine and unforgettable lesson."

This is the reality today. 
Whether at home or in the society, everybody has lots of contacts but there is no connection.

Everybody is busy in his or her own world. ...

Let us not maintain just "Contacts" but let us remain "Connected."  Caring, Sharing and Spending time with all our dear ones.

The Monk was none other than Swami Vivekananda.

• 2 weeks later...

MEDITATION AND PRAYER

Meditation  should not  be  confused  with  prayer -silent  or vocal.

A devotee prays in a  temple,  a shrine or at any place considered appropriate  by him, while in meditation  he worships in the  sacred and  stainless  shrine of  atma , which is  independent  of time , place and distance. 

Prayer is an earnest , humble request.  In prayer, the  devotee talks to the  God, communicates his feelings,desires and  gratitude  to Him. In meditation,  the devotee asks nothing  of God ; he simply  listens to  the  voice  of God within.  

In prayer,  he gets close  to  God , while  in meditation  he strives  to become one with  God. 

In prayer, a dualism between  God  and  devotee  exists; in meditation  the apparent  dualism eventually disappears.

THEREFORE,  IT IS BELIEVED  BY SOME THAT  MEDITATION IS THE HIGHEST FORM  OF PRAYER.

While the *Battle of Kurushetra was at its peak, Arjuna and Karna were fighting each other.* It was a battle to witness, a flurry of arrows were being exchanged, and even Gods were witnessing this epic battle between the 2 warriors.

Arjuna would shoot his arrows and the impact of these arrows would be so much that Karna’s chariot would go back by 25-30 feet. People who witnessed this were amazed by the skills of Arjuna.

Karna was no less. When he shot arrows, Arjuna’s chariot would also shake and go back by 3-4 feet.

More than everyone, Krishna would applaud Karna every time his arrow hit Arjuna’s chariot. But *not once did He applaud Arjuna’s skills !*

At the end of the day, Arjuna asked Krishna: “Oh Lord, I have shot so many arrows at Karna’s chariot, it was being displaced like a feather in wind, but not once did you appreciate me. Rather, *you would appreciate his skill despite his arrows just displacing my chariot a little”.*

Krishna smiled and replied “Oh, *Arjuna, remember,*  your chariot is protected by *Hanuman* at the top on your flag, *Me as your charioteer* in the front and by *Sheshnag* at its wheels, yet the whole chariot would still sway and displace whenever the valiant Karna hit us with his arrows”.

“But *Karna’s chariot is not protected by any such force*,   *he is on his own, yet he fights valiantly”.*

It is said that after the battle of Kurushetra was over, Krishna refused to get off the chariot till Arjuna got down. Once Krishna alighted from the chariot, it caught fire and turned to dust.

Krishna said  “Oh Arjuna, your chariot was destroyed by Karna a long time ago, it is I who was still protecting it.”

*“Never in your life have the arrogance to say that you have achieved big heights. If you have achieved something, it is the divine will,* it is the divine intervention that has always protected you, cleared your path and *given you the right opportunities at the right time”!*

An excerpt from *Mahabharata* and conveys message to mankind. Though simple but a strong reminder to mankind.

*Be humble, remember, even a little leaf cannot  move/sway without  Waheguru's Hukum

3 hours ago, harsharan000 said:

While the *Battle of Kurushetra was at its peak, Arjuna and Karna were fighting each other.* It was a battle to witness, a flurry of arrows were being exchanged, and even Gods were witnessing this epic battle between the 2 warriors.

Arjuna would shoot his arrows and the impact of these arrows would be so much that Karna’s chariot would go back by 25-30 feet. People who witnessed this were amazed by the skills of Arjuna.

Karna was no less. When he shot arrows, Arjuna’s chariot would also shake and go back by 3-4 feet.

More than everyone, Krishna would applaud Karna every time his arrow hit Arjuna’s chariot. But *not once did He applaud Arjuna’s skills !*

At the end of the day, Arjuna asked Krishna: “Oh Lord, I have shot so many arrows at Karna’s chariot, it was being displaced like a feather in wind, but not once did you appreciate me. Rather, *you would appreciate his skill despite his arrows just displacing my chariot a little”.*

Krishna smiled and replied “Oh, *Arjuna, remember,*  your chariot is protected by *Hanuman* at the top on your flag, *Me as your charioteer* in the front and by *Sheshnag* at its wheels, yet the whole chariot would still sway and displace whenever the valiant Karna hit us with his arrows”.

“But *Karna’s chariot is not protected by any such force*,   *he is on his own, yet he fights valiantly”.*

It is said that after the battle of Kurushetra was over, Krishna refused to get off the chariot till Arjuna got down. Once Krishna alighted from the chariot, it caught fire and turned to dust.

Krishna said  “Oh Arjuna, your chariot was destroyed by Karna a long time ago, it is I who was still protecting it.”

*“Never in your life have the arrogance to say that you have achieved big heights. If you have achieved something, it is the divine will,* it is the divine intervention that has always protected you, cleared your path and *given you the right opportunities at the right time”!*

An excerpt from *Mahabharata* and conveys message to mankind. Though simple but a strong reminder to mankind.

*Be humble, remember, even a little leaf cannot  move/sway without  Waheguru's Hukum

Excellent post veer ji.

On 2/9/2020 at 10:03 PM, harsharan000 said:

MEDITATION AND PRAYER

Meditation  should not  be  confused  with  prayer -silent  or vocal.

A devotee prays in a  temple,  a shrine or at any place considered appropriate  by him, while in meditation  he worships in the  sacred and  stainless  shrine of  atma , which is  independent  of time , place and distance. 

Prayer is an earnest , humble request.  In prayer, the  devotee talks to the  God, communicates his feelings,desires and  gratitude  to Him. In meditation,  the devotee asks nothing  of God ; he simply  listens to  the  voice  of God within.  

In prayer,  he gets close  to  God , while  in meditation  he strives  to become one with  God. 

In prayer, a dualism between  God  and  devotee  exists; in meditation  the apparent  dualism eventually disappears.

THEREFORE,  IT IS BELIEVED  BY SOME THAT  MEDITATION IS THE HIGHEST FORM  OF PRAYER.

Best thing I've read in awhile! 

Gauree, Fifth Mehl:

Those who implant the Word of the Guru's Shabad within their hearts

cut their connections with the five passions.

They keep the ten organs under their control;

their souls are enlightened. ||1||

They alone acquire such stability,

whom God blesses with His Mercy and Grace. ||1||Pause||

Friend and foe are one and the same to them.

Whatever they speak is wisdom.

Whatever they hear is the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

Whatever they see is meditation. ||2||

They awaken in peace and poise; they sleep in peace and poise.

That which is meant to be, automatically happens.

In peace and poise, they remain detached; in peace and poise, they laugh.

In peace and poise, they remain silent; in peace and poise, they chant. ||3||

In peace and poise they eat; in peace and poise they love.

The illusion of duality is easily and totally removed.

They naturally join the Saadh Sangat, the Society of the Holy.

In peace and poise, they meet and merge with the Supreme Lord God. ||4||

They are at peace in their homes, and they are at peace while detached.

In peace, their bodies' duality is eliminated.

Bliss comes naturally to their minds.

They meet the Lord, the Embodiment of Supreme Bliss. ||5||

In peaceful poise, they drink in the Ambrosial Nectar of the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

In peace and poise, they give to the poor.

Their souls naturally delight in the Lord's Sermon.

The Imperishable Lord abides with them. ||6||

In peace and poise, they assume the unchanging position.

In peace and poise, the unstruck vibration of the Shabad resounds.

In peace and poise, the celestial bells resound.

Within their homes, the Supreme Lord God is pervading. ||7||

With intuitive ease, they meet the Lord, according to their karma.

With intuitive ease, they meet with the Guru, in the true Dharma.

Those who know, attain the poise of intuitive peace.

Slave Nanak is a sacrifice to them. ||8||3||

An eye opener verse from the Bani

ਗਣਤੈ ਸੇਵ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਕੀਤਾ ਥਾਇ ਨ ਪਾਇ ॥

Ganathai Saev N Hovee Keethaa Thhaae N Paae ||

That devotion which is calculated in numbers is no devotion at all,

and what is done is not approved,

thus time wasted for nothing is achieved

except that the haume is strengthend.

• 1 month later...

Great message from Bill Gates.
Subject:   Bill Gate's views on the CVirus....Brilliant. 

What is the Corona/ Covid-19 Virus Really Teaching us?

I’m a strong believer that there is a spiritual purpose behind everything that happens, whether that is what we perceive as being good or being bad.
As I meditate upon this, I want to share with you what I feel the Corona/ Covid-19 virus is really doing to us:
-       It is reminding us that we are all equal, regardless of our culture, religion, occupation, financial situation or how famous we are. This disease treats us all equally, perhaps we should to. If you don’t believe me,
 just ask Tom Hanks.
-       It is reminding us that we are all connected and something that affects one person has an effect on another. It is reminding us that the false borders that we have put up have little value as this virus does not need
 a passport. It is reminding us, by oppressing us for a short time, of those in this world whose whole life is spent in oppression.
-       It is reminding us of how precious our health is and how we have moved to neglect it through eating nutrient poor manufactured food and drinking water that is contaminated with chemicals
 upon chemicals. If we don’t look after our health, we will, of course, get sick.
-       It is reminding us of the shortness of life and of what is most important for us to do, which is to help each other, especially those who are old or sick. Our purpose
is not to buy toilet roll.
-       It is reminding us of how materialistic our society has become and how, when in times of difficulty, we remember that it’s the essentials that we need (food, water, medicine)
 as opposed to the luxuries that we sometimes unnecessarily give value to.
-       It is reminding us of how important our family and home life is and how much we have neglected this. It is forcing us back into our houses so we can rebuild them into our home and
 to strengthen our family unit.
-       It is reminding us that our true work is not our job, that is what we do, not what we were created to do.
Our true work is to look after each other, to protect each other and to be of benefit to one another.
-       It is reminding us to keep our egos in check. It is reminding us that no matter how great we think we are or how great others think we are,
a virus can bring our world to a standstill.
-       It is reminding us that the power of freewill is in our hands. We can choose to cooperate and help each other, to share, to give, to help and to support each other or we can choose to be selfish, to hoard, to look after
 only our self. Indeed, it is difficulties that bring out our true colors.
-       It is reminding us that we can be patient, or we can panic. We can either understand that this type of situation has happened many times before in history and will pass, or we can panic and see it as the end of the
 world and, consequently, cause ourselves more harm than good.
-       It is reminding us that this can either be an end or a new beginning. This can be a time of reflection and understanding, where we learn from our mistakes, or it can be the start of a cycle which will continue until
 we finally learn the lesson we are meant to.
-       It is reminding us that this Earth is sick. It is reminding us that we need to look at the rate of deforestation just as urgently as we look at the speed at which toilet rolls are disappearing off of shelves. We are
 sick because our home is sick. 
-       It is reminding us that after every difficulty, there is always ease. Life is cyclical, and this is just a phase in this great cycle. We do not need to panic; this too shall pass.
Whereas many see the Corona/ Covid-19 virus as a great disaster, I prefer to see it as a great corrector. It is sent to remind us of the important lessons that we seem to have forgotten and it is up to us if we will learn them
 or not.

SOME INSPIRITATIONAL STUFF

Look around today and you will see everyone in a desperate and helpless situation. In a few weeks time everything has changed around us and we have returned to our some old habits.

Sitting at home, avoiding going out, spending wisely and even being more concerned about our loved ones.

How true are the Mahapurukhs  words when they say this world is not our true home but a exit from the cycle of births and deaths.

This is our opportunity to make the most of the human birth and its purpose. 

In today's time while most of us are caged in our homes we can only use our time wisely to put into practice Gurmat.

How can we not complain today that I don't have time! Time has become our gift of today, we have slowed and stopped all other activities.

So its Gods way of saying, "Let go and let be." Everything happens for a reason and we cannot understand with our limited perspective of today's situation around the globe.

It's His creation, His ways and His will.

All we can do is to accept and live in His will. Today our finances, work, power or even fame cannot help us..so what is the use?

Does it bring happiness to us if we cannot do anything?

How fools we were to think that we are something...

We are Nothing!

All we can do is surrender ourselves, and only humility is the result of self surrender.

It happens automatically when you come into the presence of divine love; you suddenly realise that you are nothing. 

When we give to  Guru Jee our "whole self" we are left only with His love...

And that love fills our emptiness through His simran.  The more Simran  we do,  the more love grows, and with our effort, true effort, grace flows. 

Let us be His devoted gursikhs,  by  meditating upon His Nao as repeated throughout  and continoussly in the Gurbani. 

Our  Father Waheguru Akal Purukh is always with us.

If we  live, move and have our being in Him . He is always helping  in every kind of task that we perform.

The nearer we come to Him, the more fully we will feel His presence and realize His help.

As love for Him increases in us, we will get a deeper and deeper realization of His presence within  ourselves

SSA.

After the 93 year old man (a Grand-pa) in Italy survived the COVID-19,
Hospital told him, to pay for the ventilator for one day, the old man cried.
The doctor pleaded him for not to cry over the bill.

What the old man said made all the doctors cry.

Grandpa said,
"I don't cry because of the money I have to pay. I can pay all the money."
I cry because I have been breathing God's air for 93 years,
but I never paid for it.

It takes Eu100.- to use a ventilator in a hospital for one day.
Do you know how much I owe God?
I did not thank God even once for that before. "

The truth of the news can't be verified, but grandpa's words are worth our reflection.
When we breathe the air freely without pain or illness, no one takes the air seriously.
Only when we enter the hospital can we know
that even breathing oxygen with a ventilator costs money!

Cherish the time when we can breathe freely!

• 2 weeks later...

ABOUT OUR RELATION WITH GOD

GOD has no phone, still we can converse with HIM.

HE has no Facebook still we can be HIS friend.

HE has no twitter still we can follow HIM.

Talk with GOD , no breath is lost and walk with GOD no strength is lost.  

If a man runs with man is called "RACE" and if a man run towards GOD is called "GRACE".

Be bold and offer your heart to be led by GOD.

If you walk and talk with HIM you will  never miss the direction to your divine future.

So, our relation with Him, has to be a relation of true unconditional love

for He accepts nothing, but love alone.

If we can only give Him that our imperfect love though

then too He accepts it and becomes happier

Making Him happy is not that difficult

Just remember Him

by calling upon Him with His sweet Name.

SSA.

ਜਾ ਕੈ ਨਾਮਿ ਸੁਨਿਐ ਜਮੁ ਛੋਡੈ ਤਾ ਕੀ ਸਰਣਿ  ਪਾਵਸਿ ਰੇ 

Jaa Kai Naam Suniai Jam Shhoddai Thaa Kee Saran N Paavas Rae ||

Hearing His Name, the Messenger of Death will release you, and yet, you do not take shelter at His Feet!

Raag Maaroo Sree Guru Arjan Dev

*In the verse above, Guru Jee is telling us that by gathering the wealth of His holy Name, and at our time of departure from this world when Dharam Rai´s yamdoots come to take our souls, they run away by seeing the splendour and lightning of that True wealth within us.

Then He also warns us, saying that knowing this fact of the supreme importance of His Name as our boat to be ferried across, yet we do not engage ourselves in that His devotion, but rather,  we prefer to perform many other things thinking them to be valid or substitutes for our spiritual maturity, which as seen throughout the Bani can never ever be so.

His Sachaa Nao, is the only boat to be boarded on,  not as per any man made  orientation, but as per the perfect teachings  of our beloved Guru Sahiban,  for the purpose of  getting ferried across from the mayavee and perishable realms, to that one alone of Supreme and eternal Truth, the one of Satnam.

SSA.

God is love

He is the Bestower and demands nothing in exchange for His gifts.

Similarly, love demands nothing in return. It knows only how to give; hence it is free from all selfishness….

True Love inspires generosity, and obliterates selfishness, because it has no ulterior motive.

So the nature of love is to give, without any expectations.

Our meditation/devotion is a practice  to give without any expectations.

Engaging in this devotion of meditating upon Him, is giving our attention, giving our time, ourselves, to this very  practice, day after day, never wondering what we’re supposed to get in return.

But how do we – selfish beings that we are – acquire this capacity to give without expecting anything back?

It is by putting our attention into that “current of love,” Anhad Naad, Shabad Dhun, resounding 24 hours a day non stop within us, which slowly makes us like itself.

It awakens in us the capacity to give selflessly, with no expectations. 

This bhakti takes us and places us at His holy Feet, and has countless benefits for us.

It relieves us from our fears, from mind, maya, vikars, hatred, greed, sanskaras, and above all, it tunes us to live in His bhaana, thus we experience a sort of mysterious/mystical joy.

In this respect the Bani tells us:

ਨਾਮੁ ਜਿਨ ਕੈ ਮਨਿ ਵਸਿਆ ਵਾਜੇ ਸਬਦ ਘਨੇਰੇ

Naam Jin Kai Man Vasiaa Vaajae Sabadh Ghanaerae |

The divine melody of the Shabad vibrates for those, within whose minds the Naam abides.

ਕਰਿ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਸੁਖ ਮਨਿ ਆਇ ਵਸਿਆ ਜਿਨਿ ਇਛਾ ਸਭਿ ਪੁਜਾਈਆ

Kar Saanth Sukh Man Aae Vasiaa Jin Eishhaa Sabh Pujaaeeaa ||

It has brought peace and tranquility to my mind; it has fulfilled all my desires.

ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਆਧਾਰੋ ॥੪॥

Saachaa Naam Maeraa Aadhhaaro ||4||

The True Name is my only support. ||4||

ਵਾਜੇ ਪੰਚ ਸਬਦ ਤਿਤੁ ਘਰਿ ਸਭਾਗੈ

Vaajae Panch Sabadh Thith Ghar Sabhaagai ||

The Panch Shabad, the five primal sounds, vibrate in that blessed house.

ਘਰਿ ਸਭਾਗੈ ਸਬਦ ਵਾਜੇ ਕਲਾ ਜਿਤੁ ਘਰਿ ਧਾਰੀਆ

Ghar Sabhaagai Sabadh Vaajae Kalaa Jith Ghar Dhhaareeaa ||

In that blessed house, the Shabad vibrates; He infuses His almighty power into it.

SSA.

For those who ask what time is the best time to devote ourselves to Him, Guru Jee  clears our doubts in the following verse:

ਬੋਲਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਫਲ ਸਾ ਘਰੀ 

Bol Har Naam Safal Saa Gharee ||

Fruitful is that moment when the Lord's Name is chanted.

He says that, any moment, any second,  you devote  in chanting  His Name, that time is a blessed moment, for one never knows if afterwards one is alive or not.

So, whenever one can chant His name apart from our regular devotional practices, one should not think if the time is auspicious or not,  we should do it, for any time we chant His Name, automatically it becomes most auspicious and blessed.

SSA

A TRIBUTE TO MOTHER´S LOVE

One day Thomas Edison came home and gave a paper to his mother.

He told her, “My teacher gave this paper to me and told me to only give it to my mother.”

His mother’s eyes were tearful as she read the letter out loud to her child, “Your son is a genius.

This school is too small for him and doesn’t have enough good teachers for training him.

Please teach him yourself.”

Many years after Edison’s mother had died, Edison had become one of the greatest inventors of the century.

One day he was going through the old closet and he found a folded letter which was given to him by his teacher for his mother.

He opened it.

The message written on the letter was, “Your son is mentally ill.

We can not let him attend our school anymore. He is expelled.”

Edison became emotional reading it and then he wrote in his diary, “Thomas Alva Edison was a mentally ill child whose mother turned him into the genius of the century.”

Moral: A Mother’s love and upbringing can help change the destiny of a child.

SOME VERSES ON THE  BEANT WADEEAYEE OF  SATGURU JEE 

AND THE SECRETS OF TRUE SPIRITUALITY

ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਜੇ ਆਪਣੀ ਤਾ ਨਦਰੀ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥

Nadhar Karehi Jae Aapanee Thaa Nadharee Sathigur Paaeiaa ||

Only when the Merciful Lord shows His Mercy, then the True Guru is found.

ਏਹੁ ਜੀਉ ਬਹੁਤੇ ਜਨਮ ਭਰੰਮਿਆ ਤਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਣਾਇਆ ॥

Eaehu Jeeo Bahuthae Janam Bharanmiaa Thaa Sathigur Sabadh Sunaaeiaa ||

This soul wandered through countless incarnations, until the True Guru instructed it in the Word of the Shabad.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਜੇਵਡੁ ਦਾਤਾ ਕੋ ਨਹੀ ਸਭਿ ਸੁਣਿਅਹੁ ਲੋਕ ਸਬਾਇਆ ॥

Sathigur Jaevadd Dhaathaa Ko Nehee Sabh Suniahu Lok Sabaaeiaa ||

There is no giver as great as the True Guru; hear this, all you people.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਮਿਲਿਐ ਸਚੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥

Sathigur Miliai Sach Paaeiaa Jinhee Vichahu Aap Gavaaeiaa ||

Meeting the True Guru, the True Lord is found; He removes self-conceit from within,

ਜਿਨਿ ਸਚੋ ਸਚੁ ਬੁਝਾਇਆ ॥੪॥

Jin Sacho Sach Bujhaaeiaa ||4||

And instructs us in the Truth of Truths.

*Note: whatsoever praises we may sing of Guru Jee day after day, will always fall short to describe His immensity.