The Ringing Sound (Anhad Shabad; Sound Current)

I'm still struggling trying to get to the point where I hear shabad and not the other sounds within the body. 

Here's a question @Sat1176 and I have been talking about today. Sat found an answer but I want to see what everyone else has to say about it. @Lucky maybe you could shed some light on this?

There are two answers gurmukhs give in regards to getting naam pargat. 

1) Some say to sit and wait in sunn

2) Others say to stay awake and do baikhri bani

--> So the question is, which is more effective? 

I have been struggling for so long with this. Spontaneous experiences occur but I have not been able to get to the point where naam is pargut and becomes a normal aspect of my life. 

The other thing that I'm confused about 

---> Rom rom is happening. The mind is quiet enough to hear the heartbeat and sometimes even automatically begins jaap with the heartbeat. But how do you go lower towards the nabhi? I hear nothing below the heartbeat. 

I started using the earplug method as well. And even doing simran with earplugs in. It's been pretty effective. Mind quiets down faster and heartbeat/other sounds get amplified. I usually hear sounds on the right and very occasionally they get centred in the middle of the head. No sounds coming from the heart yet (only sound is the sound of the heartbeat). 

I want to also mention the sounds that I hear are soothing and they calm the mind/body but I know they aren't what the goal is.  

On 2018-02-14 at 9:57 PM, Lucky said:

The KEY to the whole approach is to work at a pace, in sehaj with utmost prem. If you have conditions or you only have prem for some conditions, then you will not succeed. What i mean is that when i ask most people "why they want to jap" . They usually respond with "sukh ,shanti, peace, at ease, no life stresses" ..etc..  These intentions make the process somewhat conditional, and conditions with God don't really help except in infant stages. This is the secret that no one tells you and the reason why 95% of seekers remain stuck.

Everything in this last post was exactly what I needed. It all makes so much sense now and I have a clear direction on what I need to do. I can’t thank you enough for this. I’ve been confused for over a year. 

Just one last thing - it’s a bit of good news that I wanted to share. Paun is close to being sum. The nose is going through longer periods where both nostrils are breathing in at the same time and breathing out at the same time. Sometimes it’s heavier on one side but after some time it goes back to being balanced and fully open. This has only been happening since yesterday and I haven’t had a chance to experiment with it. 

And I’m noticing when the breath is balanced sounds get extremely loud and mind becomes stable/calm. 

A few things have happened since last night. I started hearing two tones - one on the left and one on the right. I was laying in bed but awake. It woke me up a few times as well. 

I was in a rush to get to school this morning so didn't get much time in but I had a few moments where it seemed like rom rom went below the heart. I could feel the pulse/vibration slightly above the belly button. Is this the place where it's supposed to be or is the nabhi lower? I wish I had more time, it felt like I was going into sunn but had to force myself to get up and go to school. Saas saas helped amplify the recognition of the pulse. 

The tones were also at full blast. First on the right side. And then I was able to latch onto one in front of me and one behind. Left side was very faint. It actually felt slightly awakward because it seemed like some sort of imbalance. 

*Edit* - I should also mention the breath was very slightly heavier in the right nostril --> I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it.

While the tones were happening it also felt as if this new energy/force was present in the mind. It's hard to explain. And the energy was moving around the space within the mind. And the mind was expanding. (I don't know if that makes any sense).

1 hour ago, Sat1176 said:

Slowly as I tried to keep some kind of lock on both sounds in the left and right, they would merge for brief periods and you could feel a vertical bar like sensation of sound running between the eyes going upwards into the forehead. For the first time in my life I may have had glimpse of what it is like to hear the sound in the trikuti region. As before it was always localised to my right ride.

This is something I'm confused about. Are you supposed to let them merge or keep them seperated? 

18 minutes ago, HisServant said:

This is something I'm confused about. Are you supposed to let them merge or keep them seperated? 

Merge I think. From everything I read and been told is eventually you want to get central.

Look at the instructions again from Sant Isher Singh ji.

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2014 at 10:24 PM, Sat1176 said:

So how does one know which one they are hearing?

Do you see much difference with what was said above to this:

Discourse given by Sant Baba Isher Singh (Rare Wale) where his instructions were as follows with regards to the Anhad Shabad:

Sit in a secluded place and for 2.5 hours, closing eyes and keeping back straight at 90 degrees.

Keep on listening to the sound ringing in both ears and be intoxicated with it. One should hear this sound for 8-10 days.

After that one should direct one's consciousness to on the right ear. An extremely fine and sweet sound sound will begin to be heard from the right ear.

After about 10 days one should withdraw one's consciousness and cease to hear the sounds, ringing in the two ears.

After some effort one would be able to hear a sound from the Agya-chakkar (at the root of the two eyes and the nose). It is the same sound that one used to hear from the right ear.

After concentrating on the Agya chakkar, one should keep on hearing this music for 1 month or 2 and recognize it as the symbol of the Formless God.

Then one should uplift ones consciousness and listen to the music from the point where the ey-brows begin. After practicing for 2-3

months with full concentration one should raise the consciousness to up to the head, to the point where 4 parts of the oranium join which is called the palate. This point is also called the tenth gate.

After practicing this for 3 months one should hear the music from the back of the head, at the point where the backbone (spine) touches the Sukhmana Nadi. One should practice here for 5-6 months.

After this when the seeker becomes full adept, he should concentrate his consciousness on the tip of the nose. At his point he would see strange supra-worldy sights and one acquires carious kinds of power. This practice will take some two years. But there is a supreme need to keep watch on the instructions ordained here. Eager enthusiasm is required beyond limit. Under these activities, one would see different kinds of lights, strange sights of secret worlds and hear strange musical strains.

21 hours ago, HisServant said:

his morning so didn't get much time in but I had a few moments where it seemed like rom rom went below the heart. I could feel the pulse/vibration slightly above the belly button. Is this the place where it's supposed to be or is the nabhi lower?

Behind and above is good. I may have felt it below at some time and was advised to raise it upwards . You can practice the root lock technique which is done in yoga. This DOES ensure that energy rises upwards. It also helps transform dirty kaam energy into divine. But having it behind and above belly button is good. 

Saas saas helped amplify the recognition of the pulse

That's good also,  i'd recommend deep sessions of sitting upright and doing this with holding breath in pauses.

then I was able to latch onto one in front of me and one behind. Left side was very faint. It actually felt slightly awkward because it seemed like some sort of imbalance.

You felt the imbalance,....this is good.  What you feel, is what your hidden sukham body is telling you.  I'm always stressing how important it is to maintain posture and balance throughout your daily life.  The sukham sareer is already imbalanced and blocked up for all manukhs.. It is imperative that we don't block and imbalance the outer body as well.  I stress again, that it's fine to do simran lying down or sitting back on a couch, but your CORE simran should be done sat grounded, cross-legged and upright, with back and neck kept straight and vertical.   No leaning your buttocks to the left or right,...completely central and inner body raised.  Other simran you do in the day and night is not your core.  If you do it on a chair for health reasons, then it should be at 90 degress to your glutes/thighs and not slouched back.

breath was very slightly heavier in the right nostril

Don't worry too much about this. When you get more adept with shabad naads and tones, you will be able to control this and many other things at will!

If i ever notice mine to be too imbalanced, then i just put my dhyian there and fix it. Same goes for aches and pains.

The energy was moving around the space within the mind. And the mind was expanding. (I don't know if that makes any sense).

Makes perfect sense.  "Consciousness expansion" ... This is gurmat and this is how you will learn about the existence of gobind in your mind.  Mann jithay jag jeet doesn't just mean power over the mind, it also means that the "jag" can be contained within you.

18 hours ago, HisServant said:

I'm confused about. Are you supposed to let them merge or keep them seperated

Merge them is what you want, although the term is slightly incorrect. What you want to do is witness them from the middle and feel the sound coming from there.   Say you have 2 speakers on either side and you're in the middle. At any time you can hear a specific symphony the left when you focus there and a different rhythm on the right when focusing over there.    To "merge" seems like saying you want to be able to convert the 2 stereo speaker into a single mono speaker. This is not the goal, because you want to be able to hear the combined symphony with other raags in background.   

In my opinion, this practice with shabad tones is very crucial in development along the path. There is so much gyaan that you will attain, so many powers and so many abilities.  

The instructions below by Sant Isher Singh are super-duper, and I can confirm that they are most authentic, proven and tested. Although, my time lines were different, the summary and clues are all there!   

18 hours ago, Sat1176 said:

Look at the instructions again from Sant Isher Singh ji.

On 1/29/2014 at 2:24 PM, Sat1176 said:

So how does one know which one they are hearing?

Do you see much difference with what was said above to this:

Discourse given by Sant Baba Isher Singh (Rare Wale) where his instructions were as follows with regards to the Anhad Shabad:

Sit in a secluded place and for 2.5 hours, closing eyes and keeping back straight at 90 degrees.

Keep on listening to the sound ringing in both ears and be intoxicated with it. One should hear this sound for 8-10 days.

After that one should direct one's consciousness to on the right ear. An extremely fine and sweet sound sound will begin to be heard from the right ear.

After about 10 days one should withdraw one's consciousness and cease to hear the sounds, ringing in the two ears.

After some effort one would be able to hear a sound from the Agya-chakkar (at the root of the two eyes and the nose). It is the same sound that one used to hear from the right ear.

After concentrating on the Agya chakkar, one should keep on hearing this music for 1 month or 2 and recognize it as the symbol of the Formless God.

Then one should uplift ones consciousness and listen to the music from the point where the ey-brows begin. After practicing for 2-3

months with full concentration one should raise the consciousness to up to the head, to the point where 4 parts of the oranium join which is called the palate. This point is also called the tenth gate.

After practicing this for 3 months one should hear the music from the back of the head, at the point where the backbone (spine) touches the Sukhmana Nadi. One should practice here for 5-6 months.

After this when the seeker becomes full adept, he should concentrate his consciousness on the tip of the nose. At his point he would see strange supra-worldy sights and one acquires carious kinds of power. This practice will take some two years. But there is a supreme need to keep watch on the instructions ordained here. Eager enthusiasm is required beyond limit. Under these activities, one would see different kinds of lights, strange sights of secret worlds and hear strange musical strains.

Wgjkkwgjkf 

This is very valuable forum for Naam abhayaasis and other who want to gain knowage about sikhisim. I am following this for couple a of years.

Most intrest I have in meditation section and post of Gursikh rather I say Gurmukh  Lucky ji and Sat1176 are giving very good guidance to Naam abhayaasis like me.

Since my english is not so good and explation is bad so I hasitsate to post ask question or doubt whenever i got confusion, but searching back and forh from this forum  some thing I use to get near by. 

I will write in very simple english My explanation may not be good but I am sure Gurmukh will understand what I mean.

What ever is being discused above and guided by lucky ji and satji, I am (I pray Haaumme/eggo should not come to me by writing this line becouse still long way to go) also due to Gur kirpa may be near by.  I confused many time.

From kanth to trikutti and trikutti to forhead was sacary.

it was Maalikk Kirpa, I feel with his kirppa only we can travell step by step and Gurubani say that we should take help from Gurmukh Pyaaryee who are traveling to this path. 

From trikutty/forhead, I wanted that focus should be down to naabi, (thinking that this body may not be ready to take load)  but focus was going upword. 

Tip mention by Gurmukh lucky ji worked but just for couple days there was pulasation/vibration from naabi to upword with some low humming sound.

I was follow the same vidi that,s long breath with Gurmantar mentoned by Santren Daya singh ji in his akath kathas. Now Long breath with Gurmantar give a plasant feeling  in trikutti and above ( in forhead pulsation with heart beat) so focus stay there again. 

Now from Last couple weeks focuss ( when I mention focus mean pleasant pulsation mostly with heart beat) shifted to up in head top. 1st day just few second.

Now due to God grace time is increasing. Some time whole body from leg to top of head pulsate with heart beat and body feel very relaxed.

At this point i feels I need help.

How do I follow next step. 

6 hours ago, gsm52 said:

Wgjkkwgjkf 

This is very valuable forum for Naam abhayaasis and other who want to gain knowage about sikhisim. I am following this for couple a of years.

Most intrest I have in meditation section and post of Gursikh rather I say Gurmukh  Lucky ji and Sat1176 are giving very good guidance to Naam abhayaasis like me.

Since my english is not so good and explation is bad so I hasitsate to post ask question or doubt whenever i got confusion, but searching back and forh from this forum  some thing I use to get near by. 

I will write in very simple english My explanation may not be good but I am sure Gurmukh will understand what I mean.

What ever is being discused above and guided by lucky ji and satji, I am (I pray Haaumme/eggo should not come to me by writing this line becouse still long way to go) also due to Gur kirpa may be near by.  I confused many time.

From kanth to trikutti and trikutti to forhead was sacary.

it was Maalikk Kirpa, I feel with his kirppa only we can travell step by step and Gurubani say that we should take help from Gurmukh Pyaaryee who are traveling to this path. 

From trikutty/forhead, I wanted that focus should be down to naabi, (thinking that this body may not be ready to take load)  but focus was going upword. 

Tip mention by Gurmukh lucky ji worked but just for couple days there was pulasation/vibration from naabi to upword with some low humming sound.

I was follow the same vidi that,s long breath with Gurmantar mentoned by Santren Daya singh ji in his akath kathas. Now Long breath with Gurmantar give a plasant feeling  in trikutti and above ( in forhead pulsation with heart beat) so focus stay there again. 

Now from Last couple weeks focuss ( when I mention focus mean pleasant pulsation mostly with heart beat) shifted to up in head top. 1st day just few second.

Now due to God grace time is increasing. Some time whole body from leg to top of head pulsate with heart beat and body feel very relaxed.

At this point i feels I need help.

How do I follow next step. 

Gurfateh gsm ji,   

I'm glad that you have found some answers and help on here. As always, I try to make it clear that any deeper techniques and advice I give, is mostly down to my own experience and how I personally relate it to gurbani. Some of the things that i mention have been confirmed with high avastha gurmukhs, and i usually refer to this where relevant.

Based on what you stated, and from what I understand, ...it sounds like good progress.  Seems that you have a good amount of bhagti energy which has developed within you.  (hence, the bursts of pulsations)   I think it would be a good idea for you to focus on rom rom technique along with doing long breath saas saas.   I'm not sure if you've already tried this but it appears that rom rom is trying to manifest..  The technique i stated in the meditation thread is the one that I tried and worked. There are other versions as well and with some abyassees. the strength of the prem and pyaar for waheguru alone can make the rom rom pakhah.

Once you do this and it gets pargat, the flow will become easier.  This will help to put dhyian on the sound of the shabad as it develops and rom rom will be very helpful in stages ahead.

At this phase, you should have noticed some major transformations in your attitude, daily life and even relationships.  Your outlook and awareness of the world around you will be more clear and less foggy. As you start putting more of your soul and heart into the house of Guru Nanak ji, you will notice more and more "mitti dhund jagh channan hoya"  

Unless you are practicing already, I would suggest to do Saas saas by going quieter and quieter....with long breaths and pauses...Then once deep enough, to stop following breath and switch to heart beat in centre of chest.  Whilst having the gurmantar vibrate mentally in kanth and mind...just stop and pause(holding breath) to see if it continues automatically with heart beat.   If not sure what I mean, then check the rom rom technique on mediation thread and I will also put this same post on that thread for continuing(as this thread is more about anhad shabad)

Waheguru

On 6/20/2016 at 10:03 PM, BhagatSingh said:

What is a locus of awareness? locus of consciousness?

It is the seat of consciousness in the body. The default position for it is in the head, in the agya chakra.

When you are able to concentrate well enough, you can move this seat into your belly, your heart, your feet, etc. Then it will seem as if you are located in your belly and your head is above you.

You can even move this locus of awareness above your head, and outside of the body. When you do that then it is known as an Out of Body Experience.

This use to happen with me a lot before. Now it rarely happens. Don’t know what’s going on with me now where am I going.. 😔  I didn’t know it’s called locus of awareness but thanks to u.. amazing topic.. after reading ur and happy days posts I’m confused where one should be keeping their dhyaan.. where??

On 9/25/2014 at 10:14 PM, Sat1176 said:

Good read.

Meditation on sound or light

Along with the awareness of tripura, one comes to a point of following either sound or light, depending on his or her personal predisposition. Your intuition will tell you which is more resonant for you. If you have difficulty discerning which is right for you, it will probably help to have a conversation with someone who has already tread this later stage of the path. In either case, both (sound or light) lead to the same place out of which they both emerged. It is somewhat like choosing which door to use to enter a ballroom; both doors lead into the ballroom.

With predisposition for sound, the sadhaka listens into the sound of silence, as if the source of all sound will emerge. It has a feeling somewhat like stretching onto silence after mantra, as was described above. With predisposition for light, the sadhaka watches into the darkness, as if the source of all light will emerge. Here, there is also a stretching of awareness into the formless darkness, as was described with body, breath, mantra, and sound. Eventually, the sadhaka experiences the formless source that is common to both sound and light, regardless of which was followed in the practice (like finally being
in the ballroom that has two entrance doors).

If a mantra has been used as a focal point for meditation, this will have already been followed into its silent, felt sense of awareness, with the syllables having fallen away. The sound or light that is eventually experienced is an aspect of the mantra, only at a very subtle level. Sound and light are then experienced as inseparably mingled. In a higher state, the common source of sound
and light are experienced.

Advancing in meditation

A time comes when meditation stirs the unconscious mind and brings forward hidden impressions. It quickens the method of analyzing, understanding, and surveying the unconscious.

If you are emotional, use anahata chakra, the center between the two breasts. If you are intellectual, or think much, use ajna chakra, the breath chakra, between the two eyebrows. In no way, at this point, should you meditate on the crown chakra, or any lower chakra. If you meditate on the crown, on sahasrara chakra, you might hallucinate. There is a tiny circle on the space between the two eyebrows. In the center of the circle, there is an unflinching, milky white flame steadily burning. Sound and light come from within. Either you should strengthen visualization or you should engage your mind in listening to the sound coming from within. Those who listen to the sound within begin to hear the anahata nada, the inner sound. When an aspirant is able to make his whole being into an ear, he hears the sound of anahata nada. Finally, you’ll hear the sound like OM; your whole being vibrates from within, though your body is still. Your mind is being led by the mantra, toward the silence. When your mind is not following the subtle sound of the mantra, then it becomes aware of the illumination of ajna chakra.

Suddenly your mind enters into something like a tunnel, that leads you to the gateway of sahasrara chakra, the thousand-petaled lotus.

Constant awareness of mantra
When the consciousness of the mantra is deepened, the mantra is able to guide the mind in the inner world.

• The student is then taught to be aware of the inner light that already burns without flickering. The light which is within us is the finest and best form upon which to meditate.
  • The mind then begins to see clearly; it is no longer clouded.
  • Then the light of consciousness and mantra become one, because at that stage the mantra is not actually remembered, but its meaning and feeling are revealed.
  • When one develops the feeling of constant awareness of the mantra, it unites with the mainstream of consciousness where light and sound are inseparably mingled.
  • In a higher stage sound and light are united, and in the highest state pure Consciousness alone exists

Grace and shaktipata
From here on it is only grace of guru, Self, god, or whatever else you might like to call it, which can take us the rest of the way. I liken it to the space probes sent to Mars. As with sadhana (practices) it took a great deal of energy to break away from the Earth’s atmosphere and gravitational pull (like us breaking away from our false identities, attractions, aversions, and fears). Finally, when coming close to its destination, it took very little power to go the rest of the way, as it was the gravitational pull of Mars that pulled the probe to its final destination.

That which pulls us the rest of the way is similarly a naturally existing energy (analogous to the gravitation pull of Mars), which for convenience sake is called grace . Different people have lots of different opinions about the name and nature of that grace, but such a gravitational energy is definitely there to pull us the rest of the way, once we have put in all of the exertion we are capable of putting out. Our job is to do the work we are capable of doing so as to get within reach of that grace or shakti. It is also called shaktipata , or the bestowing of grace.

Piercing the bindu
At some point of meditation the mind enters into something that is experienced as a tunnel (called brahma nadi, which is the energy channel of manifestation itself, as consciousness has come outward to become who we are as a person). The tunnel entrance is near the end of the mind and what it can do for us as a tool on the inner journey. Everything collapses , so to speak, into the point from which all of our being has originally emerged.

That point is called bindu , which is a Sanskrit word that literally translates as point or dot. Consciousness recedes into and through that point or bindu in what can only be described as being like an intense explosion. On the other side (for lack of a better word to describe the indescribable) of the explosion of the bindu is the direct experience of the absolute reality, Brahman in Vedantic terms, or the preexisting union of Shakti with Shiva, in Tantric terms. It is called Mahatripurasundari in the samaya sri vidya tantra of the Himalayan tradition.
Mahatripurasundari is the great (maha), beautiful (sundari) one who dwells in, and is the substratum of the three cities known as waking, dreaming, and sleeping, or the gross world, subtle plane, and causal realm, or simply Tripura , the one in the three cities. This is the real Self, which is the Self of all, which is spoken of as the goal of life called Self-realization.

Wonderful

Quick update. I came back from Sangat Simran last night. I was ready to go to bed and while falling asleep started hearing a sound that I can only describe like a horn. I was able to confirm the experience with a gurmukh the next day. 

It was interesting. It was a very blurred out experience... in the sense, I did not have much awareness as to what was happening. 

11 hours ago, Ragmaala said:

yesterday at work .... I randomly started hearing a cricket / tinnitus type sound... it was mainly focused on left ear ...

even now theres something faint sound in left ear... 

could it be due to tiredness or khuski or does it mean anything ? 

Lol we are all so quick to doubt. Just listen to it and see if it gets louder and starts to fill your whole head. That’s when you will realise it’s starts from the ear but actually resonates in the whole brain. Going beyond the little buggers  is the challenge. I’ve been stuck on those for ages. 

26 minutes ago, Sat1176 said:

Lol we are all so quick to doubt. Just listen to it and see if it gets louder and starts to fill your whole head. That’s when you will realise it’s starts from the ear but actually resonates in the whole brain. Going beyond the little buggers  is the challenge. I’ve been stuck on those for ages. 

I am gonna pay more attention to it. its still there in my left ear ... v faint... its neither annoying nor pleasing...it doesnt fill my head yet but with practice i think i will update how it goes...

it only recently started when i was able to japa waheguru at amritvela with gurus grace... thats why i thought it due to tiredness. but i guess its a good sign of keep japping at amritvela.

On 2/24/2018 at 7:03 AM, Kaur Inder said:

This use to happen with me a lot before. Now it rarely happens. Don’t know what’s going on with me now where am I going.. 😔  I didn’t know it’s called locus of awareness but thanks to u.. amazing topic.. after reading ur and happy days posts I’m confused where one should be keeping their dhyaan.. where??

With meditation, it is all about fixating your attention on one point. So if you are doing a chakra meditation, then you pick a chakra, any chakra, and you fixate your attention on that. Your attention may wander, just reel it back in everytime.

It doesn't have to be a chakra though, you could do the same with another technique. Picking 1 sensory stimulus in that technique, like the sound of Ram naam in naam simran, and fixating your attention on that.