Out Of Body Experiences

I don't believe anything actually leaves the physical body. You are just tuning into a different frequency. Nothing is leaving though... You are just shifting awareness to a different point. So all you are doing is focusing on a different level of reality. The radio concept is really the best way I can explain it... You are the antenna, your consciousness is the dial tuning into a particular frequency physical being lowest frequency. Your awareness just tunes into the next higher station but your physical body remains and the antenna is still receiving all the information from the physical channel... You just happen to be listening to a different station at the time.

^

Took the question out of my mouth.

Also

So does the subtle body leave the physical body or not? Does anything leave the physical body? This part is confusing Satkirin.

What is your preferred method for inducing Obe?

firstly i don;t think we should give too much details of individual experiences..i have found that this can cause problems because we start to want , expect those experiences...this causes frustration, desire, etc etc... i really honestly feel it is about surrendering and letting things happen naturally....just my opinion..

from my experience...when you are going deep into mediation, in a very relaxed state, you will become aware of your subtle body in many ways...it kinda energises :)

Quantum theory sometimes talks about the 4th dimension..

we live in a 3 dimensional world....our physical body is aware of 3 dimensions...it can move back and forth, left and right (2 dimensions), and also up and down (3rd dimension)...

imagine though if your subtle body can be part of those same 3 dimensions, and also a fourth dimension...

so now, when you become aware of your subtle body during meditation..BOOOOM, you are now also aware of the fourth dimension..so now your consciousness is moving about in the usual 3 dimensional space, but now also in 4th dimensional space...a whole new world!

i am only using the 4th dimensional analogy as an example of how it has FELT for me during my Simran...if my attention goes deep and becomes aware of the subtle body then the 4th dimension is accessable...as i come out of deep meditation, and my awareness shifts back to my physical body, the 3 dimensions are only accessable.

thats how i've tried to understand what happens...i could be completely wrong..but the thing is who cares...just enjoy the ride :)

Edited by chzS1ngh

You are right, I think this is maybe why most of us have had OBEs happen completely on their own, not by us trying to make them happen. OBEs are not the final destination, just a stop along the journey :) One that lets us know we are at least going in the right direction!

chzSingh JI,

You are right , experiences come and go. Whatever is bound to happen will happen with time in Guru's Grace. I myself don't seek OBE's as the main goal. As you said, Gurmantar should always stay the main focus. :)

You are right, I think this is maybe why most of us have had OBEs happen completely on their own, not by us trying to make them happen. OBEs are not the final destination, just a stop along the journey :) One that lets us know we are at least going in the right direction!

yup, it is through OBE's that i started to lose the fear of death...

fear of death consumes a lot of energy...once it is removed we feel free...lighter...more focussed on the journey ahead...

on my short journey so far, i have realised i am a passenger at best...like when we get on a plane, we put all our faith in the pilot to take us to our destination..if we are at peace, the journey is joyous...if we are filled with fear then the same journey is a struggle..

• 2 weeks later...

For the past many days, I've been trying very hard for Out-Of-Body experiences; but it seems like some Spiritual energy is blocking me for those experiences. Obviously, I was not happy and was complaining to my Guru in my mind.

And then since yesterday, I started seeing answers to my questions/frustrations via some Spiritual Kathas I was listening to. You can call it coincidences but in my understanding, there are no coincidences, it's someone (God's forces) helping you to understand something by placing you at the right time and right place and then offering you the understanding.

So, I understood that what I had already experienced twice is NOT the same what I'm trying to experience for the past couple of days. There's a big difference in those.

What I was trying now is to be out-of-body and travel places, but in this technique a silver cord (or some thread) is attached between the physical body and the body which is outside; it means that one has to take care of that cord as it should not break otherwise I can't get back to body. Secondly, I need to understand that the physical body needs to be protected from negative forces while I'm away on my travels.

But there is another out-of-body experience which does not involve the silver cord and there is no fear of losing the thread and/or body. But it is possible NOT with the force or hard-work, it is the raising of the consciousness and is dependent on the Guru's Kirpa/Grace.

Now, it finally made sense to me why I was blocked from my experiments. So, the lesson learnt is: There is 2 out-of-body experiences: One is real out-of-body where we actually come out-of-physical body but still attached to it via some cord/thread; Another is where we (may be Soul or may be some astral body or may be mind) actually travels to some other place but here there is no physical connection between the body who travelled with the physical body.

It has happened in the past also. There were many times in the past, when I try some risky/dangerous techniques/knowledge but I was always either blocked and then taught the right OR simply got instructions to stop. I love to take risks because I believe that the Guru is watching over me and will stop me going to wrong direction. But it seems like I should be careful because Guru's main concern is our Spiritual progress and if we always chose risk, Guru might choose to end our current life and give us another life where we would not do risky things as a habit, but in the process the current family member suffers.

Just sharing something that came to my mind.i

i have also read about the silver cord..share some more experiences guys

8/25/14

This is what I experienced today. Happened on its own, spontaneous without trying. During early morning hours, when I was sleeping I realized that I was in a dream. I was in a room with concrete walls and a small door. I opened that door which led into another room which looked exactly the same. I did it 3-4 times, I would open the door which led into the same concrete room. Then somehow I realized that I was in a dream, and could change something about it. I imagined a wardrobe and in one of the drawers I imagined a roll of money. So it happened. There was a wardrobe and one of the drawers had US dollars. Then I imagined then when the door open it would lead into a vast space of universe.

I opened the door again. When I opened it, I realized my room was falling down, there was darkness around, and I could see those stars and galaxies the ones that are often seen in Nasa Images. Somehow my fear was lost , I took a leap of faith and jumped out the door, and boom I was falling down too. I adjusted my body position, my back facing downwards and face towards the millions of small dots/stars , as I was falling down. I let go of my fear and was enjoying this sensation of falling down, just a light force tugging me downwards. And then stars started to fade and blurred...opened my eyes, I was in my bed , and it was 5 am. I guess it was a cue for me to wake up, but being a kalyugi jeev ended up being lazy.

This was probably the first time I have ever had this feeling of falling down without fear,because I knew I wouldn't get hurt.

Not sure what it was.

Wow that was amazing Ragmaala! Sometimes I feel get the feeling of falling and I immediately wake up as soon as it happens. So it's good to know that this feeling is rooted in some kind of fear and that it can be accessed during lucid dream. It is probably an ancestral fear but something that can be worked on nonetheless.

yup, it is through OBE's that i started to lose the fear of death...

fear of death consumes a lot of energy...once it is removed we feel free...lighter...more focussed on the journey ahead...

on my short journey so far, i have realised i am a passenger at best...like when we get on a plane, we put all our faith in the pilot to take us to our destination..if we are at peace, the journey is joyous...if we are filled with fear then the same journey is a struggle..

What is the fear of death? How is it like?

What is the fear of death? How is it like?

fear of death is like most fears...due to not knowing the future

not knowing what will happen if you take a new job...or are deciding to change paths in career...

not knowing what will happen to you when you take your last breath

if you start to know, then whats to fear? if during your Simran, you start to get the gist that your a forever and are not your body, then whats to fear...

but i've realised Simran has to be done everyday...or as often as you Can, because if you start to get distracted too much by lifes events again (which has often happened to me, even recently), you can even start doubting all the wonderful things that have been already revealed to you...they start feeling like just another dream...fading away, and BANg, i'm being sucked back into Maya...

regular simran, and the soul can continue to fly onwards and upwards :)

Wow thanks for sharing that shalok and explanation Lucky! You are right Bhagat Kabir experiences death everyday, and I think he was at that point where he was on edge and he could see what it would be like to lose that last bit of self and attain parmanand.

fear of death is like most fears...due to not knowing the future

not knowing what will happen if you take a new job...or are deciding to change paths in career...

not knowing what will happen to you when you take your last breath

Chaz I don't think any of that is true. I mean sure at the moment there is fear you don't know the future but that's true of any given moment. You never know the future (or do you?). Do you have fear all the time?

There is always something about a given situation that causes fear. What is it about death that causes fear? From your post it sounded like at one point you were afraid of death. What kind of thoughts came up at that point?

Wow thanks for sharing that shalok and explanation Lucky! You are right Bhagat Kabir experiences death everyday, and I think he was at that point where he was on edge and he could see what it would be like to lose that last bit of self and attain parmanand.

Chaz I don't think any of that is true. I mean sure at the moment there is fear you don't know the future but that's true of any given moment. You never know the future (or do you?). Do you have fear all the time?

There is always something about a given situation that causes fear. What is it about death that causes fear? From your post it sounded like at one point you were afraid of death. What kind of thoughts came up at that point?

well, for me...i never ever thought about death until a member of family past away...that moment bought me back down to earth...the reality of life (i'm sure this is similar to everyones experiences)..

you start to question your life...what you're doing...what exists after death..if anything? i recognised life as being short and can be over any second...it bought fear in me....fear of the unknown...

I have never been doagnosed with a life threatening disease...will that bring fear in me...knowing i will soon die? the same questions of not knowing may again arise, causing even more suffering...what will happen to me when i die....what will it feel like...will i feel a lot of pain...

now i know through my Simran/Meditation that i can exist withouth my physical body...what greater feeling can there be? to know one can not perish? life instantly changes...feel lighter...feel free...

of course fear still arrises...but i can recognise it and step back from it and re-ignite the knowledge i gained through Simran...But thats why daily Simran/Mediatation is even better because you refresh your trust/faith/ and dip into that 'First Hand Experience' again and again helping you deal with any fear that pops up during the day...if i stop the Simran/Meditation...the first hand experience starts to just feel like a dream instead...just a memory...an image...and fear can set in again..

you play a computer game...you approace a door, you wonder whats on the other side...is the enemy there?, will you be destroyed?...creates a sense of Fear...

if you already know whats on the other side...because you've already played the game before or have seen the game design, then whats to fear?

i'm not saying in any way i experienced fully the 'other side' so to speak, but 'bit by bit' the fear starts to reduce due to the deep experience during Simran/Meditation...it helps a huge amount with life situations and getting through life..

hope that explains ji...or i'm mis-understanding your question :)

Edited by chzS1ngh

Whats the furthest anyone has gone away from their body during an OBE?

Ive known people who have reported floating around their room, another person said they saw themselves sleeping while they were floating outside their bedroom window. Ive heard of one guy who said he can even go to the moon.

Edited by Maha Singh

Whats the furthest anyone has gone away from their body during an OBE?

Ive known people who have reported floating around their room, another person said they saw themselves sleeping while they were floating outside their bedroom window. Ive heard of one guy who said he can even go to the moon.

i think occasionally i have drifted out within close quaters a few times...having a little bit of fear again, brings you back...i think i've had lucid dreams (i think) of being on other planets...flying etc...not sure if that was OBE though.

personally i try to not get too involved in OBE's....i've never gone into Simran/Meditation wanting one...i just stick with Gurmanter and let Guru Ji decide where i should be, what i should see or not see :) a long the way i'm sure you'll see/hear many things via OBE's / Shifts of consciousness etc...keep an open mind and stay focussed on Waheguru is all i try to do...

All very fascinating :)

Edited by chzS1ngh

you play a computer game...you approace a door, you wonder whats on the other side...is the enemy there?, will you be destroyed?...creates a sense of Fear...

It's not because I don't know. It's because I suspect (believe) that there are hostile monsters on the other side who will kill me. It is fear of the killer monsters, of losing something like my game's character which I have invested in, that frightens me. Not the unknown.

The unknown is not frightening because I am ignorant of it. It is what is known that is frightening. Or a better word would be believing. Believing that what you have invested in will be of no value in a blink.

Everything we are afraid of involves us losing something. Either it could be a possessions, ego, body (old age, disease, death), relationships, craft, stimuli, etc. Whatever we have invested in if we are attached to it, and if we believe that we might lose it then there is fear at the moment where we have the thought of losing it.

well, for me...i never ever thought about death until a member of family past away...that moment bought me back down to earth...the reality of life (i'm sure this is similar to everyones experiences)..

you start to question your life...what you're doing...what exists after death..if anything? i recognised life as being short and can be over any second...it bought fear in me....fear of the unknown...

I have never been doagnosed with a life threatening disease...will that bring fear in me...knowing i will soon die? the same questions of not knowing may again arise, causing even more suffering...what will happen to me when i die....what will it feel like...will i feel a lot of pain...

now i know through my Simran/Meditation that i can exist withouth my physical body...what greater feeling can there be? to know one can not perish? life instantly changes...feel lighter...feel free...

of course fear still arrises...but i can recognise it and step back from it and re-ignite the knowledge i gained through Simran...But thats why daily Simran/Mediatation is even better because you refresh your trust/faith/ and dip into that 'First Hand Experience' again and again helping you deal with any fear that pops up during the day...if i stop the Simran/Meditation...the first hand experience starts to just feel like a dream instead...just a memory...an image...and fear can set in again..

Sat bachan bhaji. This satsang is great! It sending my mind into a meditation.

In a dream if you stay too long it feels real. In the world if you stay too long feels real. So you have to keep going into the reality that underlies the world. This is meditation and on a larger scale it is reincarnation ;)

But I don't think you've experience the fear of death in the manner I am conceptualizing. I have had relatives die, I have contemplated the death of loved ones and I have contemplated my own death. However, this contemplation is temporary the the fear it induces goes away with the contemplation. The more intensely you think about the the greater the fear. But it only lasts as long as the contemplation and the contemplation often comes to an end difficult to sustain or recreate without seeing more deaths.

If the fear of death is something that is induced. Then I think it is not really a fear that is worthy of much concern. It's better than not having contemplated such fears. But it's not at that point where we have been gripped by the fear and then made our way through the challenge to the light at the end. I wonder is there a fear of death that can grip us so tightly? And if there is how can we experience it? or when can we experience it?

Now that i think about it, that might be going to the extreme. Because such an intense fear is not necessary. There are plenty of moments of intense sadness we can experience simply by allowing ourselves to be bored. In boredom there is an immense liberating power. At first hint of boredom, you will have an urge to do something. But if you ignore this urge and simply be bored. There will be sadness, followed by loneliness. And feelings will intensify if you stick with them. This is called Bairag. And the end of this experience, if you make it through without shutting down the experience, is profound peace.

I feel like when I am meditating I am not really going through this process. My mind is busying playing with some, a mantra, chakra or some thought pattern or I am just being conscious. It does not feel Bairag, that is what I want.

bhairag in me seems to develop when i miss my amrit vela due to listening to my mind say "go back to sleep, you have a busy day tomorow...you need the extra sleep, do amrit vela tomorow" and i miss my Simran...

it may seem trivial, but during the day i do feel sad that i missed the unique opportunity, because i never feel the deep intenseness if i do my simran doing the day...

i also feel Bhairag when even though Guru Ji has blessed me with so much, the blessings of actually doing the Amrit Vela (all his grace), the mesmerizing experiences(all his doing) the bliss (his wonderful grace) etc....i still often feel so far away from him...and it instills a sadness..

and then if i keep falling back into old bad habbits, it makes the sadness worse because then i sit at amrit vela feeling ashamed, but my ardaas then is also so much more deep and intense with feeling...and Guru Ji just doesnt stop forgiving :)

In boredom there is an immense liberating power. At first hint of boredom, you will have an urge to do something. But if you ignore this urge and simply be bored. There will be sadness, followed by loneliness. And feelings will intensify if you stick with them. This is called Bairag. And the end of this experience, if you make it through without shutting down the experience, is profound peace.

That is so true. I feel sadness and then lonely. And this feeling of loneliness becomes so intense that I have to distract myself with worldly methods. Very few moments, once in a while, I feel this feeling of Bairag...but it is very short lived like 10 minutes.

And also whenever I disobey a hukam, I feel sad because I wasted an opportunity. Such as missing my amritvela, followed by strong guilt and sadness.

Sometimes looking at old pics of myself and relatives make me sad, time is running out fast, and I have not accomplished nothing yet.

Regarding Death.

For me death is scary, because first of all I am scared of getting beaten by Jamdoots. Even though I am amritdhari, I have made great mistakes.

Secondly, I dont know where will I end up after death. Either an insect or a human body again ? Even if I get a human body, will I be born in a Gursikh Family ? And then going through the same struggles once again. It has taken me 27 years to realize what is purpose of human body, dont know If I will have the same awareness in next birth.

So all these uncertain questions regarding the quest for soul scares me. Plus the jamdoot kutapa too.

Regarding Death.

For me death is scary, because first of all I am scared of getting beaten by Jamdoots. Even though I am amritdhari, I have made great mistakes.

Secondly, I dont know where will I end up after death. Either an insect or a human body again ? Even if I get a human body, will I be born in a Gursikh Family ? And then going through the same struggles once again. It has taken me 27 years to realize what is purpose of human body, dont know If I will have the same awareness in next birth.

So all these uncertain questions regarding the quest for soul scares me. Plus the jamdoot kutapa too.

Nothing goes to waste, all the efforst you make wil ensure in your next life that you have everything you need, the corretc life experiences, the family, environment to succeed further..

But, you are alive now, in human birth...dodn't even think about your next life...do your ardaas that you want to reach your destaination in this life..

your Simran/Mediation will make your aura-life force shine bright White as your past karmas are slowly cleaned up in your subtle body...even though you may not see all this, it is happening...and maybe with Guru Ji's grace you will actually see this once day through your spiritual senses...

God Bless Ji

• 1 month later...

Hmm.. talking of OBE's I read somewhere that Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj was also an astral traveller. When, in Baghdad, Peer Dastgeer had asked him to prove that there were more than 7 heavens/hells, Guru Ji then, took the Peers son along with Him on an astral tour, to visit the nether lands. When they returned back, the boy had 'parshad' in his hand as proof.

Also some people cite that it is not possible that Guru Ji traveled on foot/or by some other means of (physical) transport, to all the places that he visited. Because, not only did he visit the places, he also stayed at those places for sometime. Now so many travels, and also stays at so many places don't seem to be possible in a life span of around 70 years, if Guru Ji had taken normal means of transport, or traveled on foot. Definitely he must have used some spiritual ability to go anywhere he wanted, anytime, in an instant.

I don't know how much this is true. But , definitely the Gurus were divine and possessed the capability of doing anything.

Edited by Lunalon

Lunalon,

Guru Nanak Sahib was a trader a vyapari. So he travelled quite a bit as part of his profession.

He didn't have 70 years, only travelled for about 35 (if I remember correctly).

Now he could astral travel, there is a sakhi where he travels to to the North star, the Dhruv Tara, to meet the child-bhagat Dhruv. That would only be possible through astral travel.

Lunalon,

Guru Nanak Sahib was a trader a vyapari. So he travelled quite a bit as part of his profession.

He didn't have 70 years, only travelled for about 35 (if I remember correctly).

Now he could astral travel, there is a sakhi where he travels to to the North star, the Dhruv Tara, to meet the child-bhagat Dhruv. That would only be possible through astral travel.

Hmm... yes he must have spent 35 years or so travelling, of course not 70 (silly me :P).

I do agree that he had been a vyapaaree, but most of the travels he did were not a part of his profession, but their purpose was to spread the true message he had brought, to enlighten the greatness of Naam.