Sign in to follow this  
kdsingh80

Talibanisation Of Sikhi

Today I went to reputed sikh school of delhi and I was shocked when a hindu guy tried to stop me and said that you are not allowed inside because you are wearing patka , I said that I am going a bank which is inside the school then a sardar came and said you are still not allowed. though though half an hour later I went inside and they did not stop me. I was thinking where sikhism is heading . Is the message clear that either you cut your haIr or become a proper gursikh. The sikhs who make so much noise around the world when they are stopped at somewhere are themselves not allowing other sikhs to enter school or their institutions .Mona sikhs can enter school but Patka wearing are barred .Unfortunately this was same school in which I studied for some years

Sikhs have been wearing patka since forever. Patka is loosely based on the earliest-known indian warrior turbans. Perfect for playing sports. Who were these idiots who tried to stop you? Would they stop a bibi with a keski? Or a kid with a hanky? or an old man with a loose messy pag?

Sikhs have been wearing patka since forever. Patka is loosely based on the earliest-known indian warrior turbans. Perfect for playing sports. Who were these idiots who tried to stop you? Would they stop a bibi with a keski? Or a kid with a hanky? or an old man with a loose messy pag?

The people that tried to stop me were just following mere orders.I they were sitting at watchman's place so i guess they are school staff The worst thing is that there is no way Legally you can stop a person from entering a PSU bank which is inside the school

Before I came to Canada, I was in a school where they made it so that boys in the 6th class have to wear a turban. And this was a english-medium private school, not a sikh one.

I remember Baba Ramdev talking about how sikhs have kept indian heritage of wearing turbans alive. Maybe on some level indians feel like sikhs should wear pags. Perhaps its something they find attractive and want to encourage in us.

Or perhaps the Principal of my school was just taking notes on sikh schools.

Who knows?

Edited by BhagatSingh

Hmm patka isn't stylish (at least as far as I have seen) but it's great for sports and when you are running errands. It's easier to put on, light and stays secure during intense movement.

If anything is ridiculous it is thinking that patka is "disrespectful".

Today I went to reputed sikh school of delhi and I was shocked when a hindu guy tried to stop me and said that you are not allowed inside because you are wearing patka , I said that I am going a bank which is inside the school then a sardar came and said you are still not allowed. though though half an hour later I went inside and they did not stop me. I was thinking where sikhism is heading . Is the message clear that either you cut your haIr or become a proper gursikh. The sikhs who make so much noise around the world when they are stopped at somewhere are themselves not allowing other sikhs to enter school or their institutions .Mona sikhs can enter school but Patka wearing are barred .Unfortunately this was same school in which I studied for some years

This has happened because of our own fault. Not long ago there was a case in Amritsar where a sikh girl with a dastar was refused admission. This kind of confusion is becoming evermore quotodian not only in India but all over the world!

How can we expect the world to know who sikhs are when there is no homogeneity in this religion? When we tell people as sikhs we have to wear a dastar and the five Ks the immediate response is but they have a friend who is a sikh also and does not wear a dastar or the five Ks! If we tell them we are suppose to keep our hair uncut and have a beard, again the immediate response to this is, they know someone who is also a sikh and does not do the same!!

During my lifetime I have seen people that call themselves sikhs but don't have a clue who they actually are! If all sikhs did the same thing outwardly at least then people of this world will not be so confused about who we are. Is there no law in India to protect the sikh identity you can resort to? What kind of a democracy is India when it openly violates your right to practice your religious beliefs and be who you are?

Would they have stopped a woman or man wearing a bright red tilak on their forheads, or a geneyoo on their pot bellies or even a half skirt over their legs ie a thotti?

The unpurrtta in this religion is on a grand scale and till this is sorted out I am afraid you are at the mercy of everyone and anyone! We have to end vacillating and put our message across loud and clear as to who sikhs are and what are the tenets of their religious teachings. I don't see this happening anytime soon though.

Edited by SatpalM

If all sikhs did the same thing outwardly at least then people of this world will not be so confused about who we are

Are you kidding me?

Half of America alone would probably think you are Arab/Muslim?

Then there is the point about making people wear overtly religious symbols when they may not actually be particularly religious.

Factor in also the way many cultures are big on visual conformity and simply resent and are (openly or covertly) hostile to visibly 'alien' apparel.

The issues at hand are not simple or singular. A number of complex social, cultural, racial and even political forces are at work.

Are you kidding me?

Half of America alone would probably think you are Arab/Muslim?

Then there is the point about making people wear overtly religious symbols when they may not actually be particularly religious.

Factor in also the way many cultures are big on visual conformity and simply resent and are (openly or covertly) hostile to visibly 'alien' apparel.

The issues at hand are not simple or singular. A number of complex social, cultural, racial and even political forces are at work.

No, I am not kidding you, if you don't mind!

Stop being so judgemental and prejudiced! Half of America is not as stupid and ignorant as you think! Besides they can think what they like but you know the truth about yourself don't you? America is a country where a nine year old can be trained to use a machine gun and kill her instructor by accident, perhaps this is what gives you a right to be judgemental. Can you stop being such a brainwashed little dummy? If half of America thought you were an evil monster would you believe them? If half of America thought that you have only one eye in your forehead but you know very well you have two, what and who would you believe? If half the America thought you are now living in 2020 instead of 2014 would you go along with their thinking? I expect you would.

Is America a democracy or not? What does the American Bill of Rights say about one's right to practice one's religion? I do sincerely hope this Bill of Rights still exists!! Are you a slave to what half of America thinks? if so, your slave mentality is just disgusting! To think sikhism is the only religion that freed its adherents from slavery and slave mentality, you need to take some notes!

Sikhism does believe in wearing the five Ks and a dastar, mandatory for those who are willing to follow the Guru. The rest who divorce themselves from these basic tenets are neither here nor there. They are only good enough for spreading lies, sending out distorted messages and confusing everyone around the world. They behave like pendullums totally indecisive, just swinging and swaying from pillar to post! These symbols may be interpreted as 'overt' by those that don't have any faith in the Guru but not by those that follow the path sincerely and genuinely. Anyone that does not follow the rules of a game cannot be considered a participant and is banned they may stand and watch the game but they are not allowed to play. To be a player one has to participate and one cannot participate unless one obeys the rules.

The cultures you mention above are not a problem of a sincere follower of a faith. A sincere follower does not hurt or harm anyone. Neither he or she stops any culture(s) from how they perceive others, so the problem lies within the minds of those that create problems for themselves within those cultures. When I see a man with a dastar on his head and a shaven beard I perceive him as a very sad little weak sheep dressed in a man's clothing, a weak little sheep who is too frightened to follow his heart and the Guru! !! This frightened little sheep is too worried about what the half of anything or anywhere thinks of him!! It saddens me tremendously to see this weak little thing who has failed to listen to the words and instructions of the Guru. The Guru can transform it from a sheep to a man (lion) and is free to take its pick!

If the 'issues at hand' are not so straightforward for you then what do you suggest the true followers do? Do you expect them to capitulate to the evil forces at work, whether they be social, political, racial or cultural and give up his/her faith? Are you kidding me?

Edited by SatpalM

Some Sikh schools have a rule after a particular age like 12 a Sikh child who keeps their joora can't wear a patka but must wear a turban. Some state schools enforce a similar rule even hindu teachers enforce turbans for Sikh children who become teenagers as a part of their uniform. The moderate Sikh maharajas themselves would only allow people wearing turbans enter their courts including non-believers of Baba Nanak had to wear turbans in the durbars of khalsa sarkar.

I tie a parna like a patka. Is it a parna or a patka? Is that disrespect?

how can you tie a parna like a patka ? unless the length is very short? dont understand :D

but you should have more length on your head

the reason why puratan singhs used to have big turbans

and akhand dumalla or pag

was

when they rescued girls

some of them were without cloths , so singhs would tear turban and given them to cover their bodies

how can you tie a parna like a patka ? unless the length is very short? dont understand :D

but you should have more length on your head

It's as long as a regular turban. I cut parallel to the length of a single patti and made four small parnas using my old double patti turban.

How do you tie it?

It's simple you tie it like a parna but then instead of wrapping it all around your head. You first do a larh around your head once or twice then you take 1 or 2 larhs and wrap them around your joora and then the rest go around them to secure it.

My patka always used to brutally tear along the knot, even after I had strengthened the weak areas with thead so I stopped buying them. Then later I needed to hold my joora in place while playing sports. So I started wearing a parna like a patka.

I got the idea from his image. http://chalklands.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/osprey2.jpg

Puratan warriors with patka-like turban.

the reason why puratan singhs used to have big turbans

The practice of wearing big/tall turbans started in 1900s.

On 8/31/2014 at 1:37 PM, savinderpalsingh said:

heres a puratan picture, even little kids have turban

boysatschool-amritsar-318.jpg

Yeah, the patka was invented by a cricketer called Bishan Singh Bedi during the 60's so it has no real history in sikhi. I feel it looks ridiculous, parna is better.

2 hours ago, tva prasad said:

Yeah, the patka was invented by a cricketer called Bishan Singh Bedi during the 60's so it has no real history in sikhi. I feel it looks ridiculous, parna is better.

You are right veer ji here is a detailed video I found on Gurmatbibek YouTube page about this.

ਪਟਕਾ ਸਿਖੀ ਦੇ ਉਲਟ ਹੈ, ਜਾਣੋ ਕਿਉਂ। Patka is Against Sikhi, Find Out Why

On 1/11/2019 at 12:34 AM, Soulfinder said:

You are right veer ji here is a detailed video I found on Gurmatbibek YouTube page about this.

ਪਟਕਾ ਸਿਖੀ ਦੇ ਉਲਟ ਹੈ, ਜਾਣੋ ਕਿਉਂ। Patka is Against Sikhi, Find Out Why

I'm glad someone spoke against it. I think we need more talk on this issue as I see so many men wearing patka and topis even in Australia (most of the kids where I live are first generation immigrants still wearing patka all through secondary college)!

52 minutes ago, tva prasad said:

I'm glad someone spoke against it. I think we need more talk on this issue as I see so many men wearing patka and topis even in Australia (most of the kids where I live are first generation immigrants still wearing patka all through secondary college)!

Veer ji you are correct we do need someonr to talk about it cos in the uk luckly once bread starts growing boys start wearing dastaar but the newer trend have started wearing a patkas as i remember in Delhi alot of grown up men now wear patkas a lot more than punjab. Even a few afgan sikhs wear patkas as well i have seen.

Here is Sant Baba Kartar Singh Ji Bhindrawale on a cap hat

Sikhs who wear Caps - Sant Kartar Singh Ji Bhindranwale

On 1/10/2019 at 4:38 PM, tva prasad said:

Bishen singh bedi patka is out of fashion. Now there are other styles including tube patka , which can be worn in 30 seconds but give dastar look

On 8/31/2014 at 9:07 AM, savinderpalsingh said:

heres a puratan picture, even little kids have turban

boysatschool-amritsar-318.jpg

These kids  are wearing rag tag turbans. Just take turban cloth and tie around head. Nobody these days wear these type of turbans.

14 hours ago, kdsingh80 said:

Bishen singh bedi patka is out of fashion. Now there are other styles including tube patka , which can be worn in 30 seconds but give dastar look

Bro, what is this tube patka you speak of? I searched up 'sikh tube patka' and nothing matched the description you gave. Do you have pics? I know there's a patka style that looks like a do-rag.