Is Naam The Anahad Naad?

It's a very different kind of fear.I mean whenever i try to meditate i feel like my body is going to vibrate.I know it's the fear of mind, but it's still here.

That's good! That kind of fear is necessary for meditation.

ਜਤੁ ਪਾਹਾਰਾ ਧੀਰਜੁ ਸੁਨਿਆਰੁ ॥

जतु पाहारा धीरजु सुनिआरु ॥

Jaṯ pāhārā ḏẖīraj suni▫ār.

Let self-control be the furnace, and patience the goldsmith.

ਅਹਰਣਿ ਮਤਿ ਵੇਦੁ ਹਥੀਆਰੁ ॥

अहरणि मति वेदु हथीआरु ॥

Ahraṇ maṯ veḏ hathī▫ār.

Let understanding be the anvil, and spiritual wisdom the tools.

ਭਉ ਖਲਾ ਅਗਨਿ ਤਪ ਤਾਉ ॥

भउ खला अगनि तप ताउ ॥

Bẖa▫o kẖalā agan ṯap ṯā▫o.

With the Fear of God as the bellows, fan the flames of tapa, the body's inner heat.

ਭਾਂਡਾ ਭਾਉ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਤਿਤੁ ਢਾਲਿ ॥

भांडा भाउ अम्रितु तितु ढालि ॥

Bẖāʼndā bẖā▫o amriṯ ṯiṯ dẖāl.

In the crucible of love, melt the Nectar of the Name,

ਘੜੀਐ ਸਬਦੁ ਸਚੀ ਟਕਸਾਲ ॥

घड़ीऐ सबदु सची टकसाल ॥

Gẖaṛī▫ai sabaḏ sacẖī taksāl.

and mint the True Coin of the Shabad, the Word of God.

ਜਿਨ ਕਉ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰਮੁ ਤਿਨ ਕਾਰ ॥

जिन कउ नदरि करमु तिन कार ॥

Jin ka▫o naḏar karam ṯin kār.

Such is the karma of those upon whom He has cast His Glance of Grace.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਦਰੀ ਨਦਰਿ ਨਿਹਾਲ ॥੩੮॥

नानक नदरी नदरि निहाल ॥३८॥

Nānak naḏrī naḏar nihāl. ||38||

O Nanak, the Merciful Lord, by His Grace, uplifts and exalts them. ||38||

That's good! That kind of fear is necessary for meditation.

ਜਤੁ ਪਾਹਾਰਾ ਧੀਰਜੁ ਸੁਨਿਆਰੁ ॥

जतु पाहारा धीरजु सुनिआरु ॥

Jaṯ pāhārā ḏẖīraj suni▫ār.

Let self-control be the furnace, and patience the goldsmith.

ਅਹਰਣਿ ਮਤਿ ਵੇਦੁ ਹਥੀਆਰੁ ॥

अहरणि मति वेदु हथीआरु ॥

Ahraṇ maṯ veḏ hathī▫ār.

Let understanding be the anvil, and spiritual wisdom the tools.

ਭਉ ਖਲਾ ਅਗਨਿ ਤਪ ਤਾਉ ॥

भउ खला अगनि तप ताउ ॥

Bẖa▫o kẖalā agan ṯap ṯā▫o.

With the Fear of God as the bellows, fan the flames of tapa, the body's inner heat.

ਭਾਂਡਾ ਭਾਉ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਤਿਤੁ ਢਾਲਿ ॥

भांडा भाउ अम्रितु तितु ढालि ॥

Bẖāʼndā bẖā▫o amriṯ ṯiṯ dẖāl.

In the crucible of love, melt the Nectar of the Name,

ਘੜੀਐ ਸਬਦੁ ਸਚੀ ਟਕਸਾਲ ॥

घड़ीऐ सबदु सची टकसाल ॥

Gẖaṛī▫ai sabaḏ sacẖī taksāl.

and mint the True Coin of the Shabad, the Word of God.

ਜਿਨ ਕਉ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰਮੁ ਤਿਨ ਕਾਰ ॥

जिन कउ नदरि करमु तिन कार ॥

Jin ka▫o naḏar karam ṯin kār.

Such is the karma of those upon whom He has cast His Glance of Grace.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਦਰੀ ਨਦਰਿ ਨਿਹਾਲ ॥੩੮॥

नानक नदरी नदरि निहाल ॥३८॥

Nānak naḏrī naḏar nihāl. ||38||

O Nanak, the Merciful Lord, by His Grace, uplifts and exalts them. ||38||

O thanks,these lines really helped me.Now, I think I should focus on waheguru and let patience be the tool.I hope waheguru ji will do his kirpa.

This is today's hukamnaama that i got from shri darbar sahib.It has really helped me:

SOOHEE, FIFTH MEHL:Be Merciful, O my Beloved Lord and Master, that I may behold the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan with my eyes. Please bless me, O my Beloved, with thousands of tongues, to worship and adore You with my mouth, O Lord. Worshipping the Lord in adoration, the Path of Death is overcome, and no pain or suffering will afflict you. The Lord and Master is pervading and permeating the water, the land and the sky; wherever I look, there He is. Doubt, attachment and corruption are gone. God is the nearest of the near. Please bless Nanak with Your Merciful Grace, O God, that hiseyes may behold the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan. || 1 || Please bless me, O Beloved God, with millions of ears, with which I may hear the Glorious Praises of the Imperishable Lord. Listening, listening to these, this mind becomes spotless and pure, and the noose of Death is cut. The noose of Death is cut, meditating on the Imperishable Lord, and all happiness and wisdom are obtained. Chant, and meditate, day and night, on the Lord, Har, Har. Focus your meditation on the Celestial Lord. The painful residues of sinful mistakes are burnt away, by keeping God in one抯 thoughts; evil-mindedness is erased. Says Nanak, O God, please be Merciful to me, that I may listen to Your Glorious Praises, O Imperishable Lord. || 2 || Please give me millions of hands to serve You, God, and let my feet walk on Your Path. Service to the Lord is the boat to carry us across the terrifying world-ocean. So cross over the terrifying world-ocean, meditating in remembrance on the Lord, Har, Har; all wishes shall be fulfilled. Even the worst corruption is taken away; peace wells up, and the unstruck celestial harmony vibrates and resounds. All the fruits of the mind抯 desires are obtained; His creative power is infinitely valuable. Says Nanak, please be Merciful to me, God, that my mind may follow Your Path forever. || 3 || This opportunity, this glorious greatness, this blessing and wealth, come by great good fortune. These pleasures, these delightful enjoyments, come when my mindis attached to the Lord抯 Feet. My mind is attached to God抯 Feet; I seek His Sanctuary. He is the Creator, the Cause of causes, the Cherisher of the world. Everything is Yours; You are my God, O my Lord and Master, Merciful to the meek. I am worthless, O my Beloved, ocean of peace. In the Saints�Congregation, my mind is awakened. Says Nanak, God has been Merciful to me; my mind is attached to His Lotus Feet.|| 4 || 3 || 6 ||

Edited by sukrit kaur

It's a very different kind of fear.I mean whenever i try to meditate i feel like my body is going to vibrate.I know it's the fear of mind, but it's still here.

i remember the first time i got onto a Bike...my balance was not very good so i kept falling, became fearful at this new experience and doubted i could actually keep myself on the bike for longer than a couple of seconds...then one day almost miraculously i kept my balance and started riding the bike...the fear vanished. your mind will adjust in Simran and you'll get 'used to it' and bit by bit your fear will diminish.....guaranteed :)

• 11 months later...

Naam is both anhad naad/shabad dhun and beyond anhad naad. We can say - anhad naad is aspect of Naam but not naam itself in its totality. Naam in absolute sense is - gyan chaitan saroop (enlightened consciouness in all of us)- devoid of all experience because its stateless state-source where everything arises and subsides. Anything perceivable, expereinceable cannot be naam in absolute sense as Naam is changeless background source-underlining reality field in which everything arose from.

Naam is both anhad naad/shabad dhun and beyond anhad naad. We can say - anhad naad is aspect of Naam but not naam itself in its totality. Naam in absolute sense is - gyan chaitan saroop (enlightened consciouness in all of us)- devoid of all experience because its stateless state-source where everything arises and subsides. Anything perceivable, expereinceable cannot be naam in absolute sense as Naam is changeless background source-underlining reality field in which everything arose from.

I thought that beyond Naam is only WaheGuru/Nirankar roop.

• 1 month later...
Guest Harminder Singh
On 8/25/2014 at 5:16 AM, Satkirin_Kaur said:

All is ONE, and ONE is ALL

The ONE contemplated itself. It had nothing else to contemplate, and in that contemplation, the 'spark' of creation.

The ONE we know is formless, yet possesses all forms. How can this be?

If we look at quantum physics, we know that the base of all the Universe is vibration... pure frequency.

Light, heat, radio, radiation, colour, sound, even matter itself all exists through vibration. Thought too, is pure frequency and brainwaves can be measured by EEG.

Why is this important? The clues MUST be within the Universe itself... consciousness, is formless, yet can possess all forms (dreams, imagery, thought, creativity) Thoughts do not take up 'space' they create space (imagine yourself dreaming, how can you quantify the space your dream takes?)

This is important, because the base of all existence is pure frequency. At the lowest end is said to be sound... Every major religion in the world, speaks of a primal sound or 'word' that created the Universe. Most go beyond that and say that the word or sound itself IS God.

My thoughts on anahad naad, is that it's the direct experience of this primal 'sound' - which goes way beyond simply hearing a sound... as you yourself are created into existence by this same force, then the experience going within and interacting directly with the source, is overwhelming. It's not just hearing something, but actually experiencing the base truth of existence. And that truth is ONEness. That everything we know as matter, separateness, even our own identity is an illusion. It's no longer belief... it's knowing.

By going within, you are actually dissolving the illusion and discovering the truth of your existence. You do hear an audible sound... which itself is indescribable, and I have only gotten to this stage and also OBEs, but beyond this is only actually merging with it. Laying down your whole built up identity and becoming one with it. I have not reached that stage.

These thoughts are only my own, I in no way purport to be any sort of expert...

Your thoughts make sense to me, I am not an expert as well. Just started experiencing the strange continuous sound all the time in the back of my head during a meditation session. I am searching more and trying to know what to do with it and what is further now.

One thing is clear,  as soon as I focus on this sound all facial expressions and any sort of tightness in vanishes. 

Are you experiencing anything more? 

Thank you. 

• 3 years later...

Gurbani  starts with a reference to Nam, when First Patshahee says: Ik Oankar Satnam

Satnam is composed with 2 syllables : Sat + Nam. 

Here, Sat is truth, but not that truth as we know and understand at our level.  For example if we say, Paris is the capital of France,  we are undoubtedly speaking the truth, but it is a relative truth, means it is temporary in time and space, one day it shall get dissolution, it will dissapear.

Whil on the other side, when Guru added  Sat to the shabad Nam, He means to say, that, that Nam is Truth, for it is changeless and eternal, beyond any limitations.

So basically, Nam is a creative power, a highest level of consciousness, which is eternal and changeless, yet is Nam only; not that Satnam is a different entity.

Sat/truth, describes the changless and  eternity attributes of Nam. 

Now, Nam  being an infinte Ocean of Energy/Power, Supraconsciousness, as described throughout the Bani, is full of resplandencent Light and divine melodies.

This is found in Aarti and Anand Sahib, when we say : Sabh meh Jot  Jot hae soee, or, Nam jiskay man vaseeya vajeh Shabad ganere.

Also Sree Guru Arjan Dev in Raag Gauri tells us

Naam Sunae Naam Sangrehai Naamae Liv Laavo
I hear the Naam, and I gather in the Naam; I am lovingly attuned to the Naam.

First He says: I hear the Nam, means I repeat it within or meditate on it.

Secndly He says: I gather the Nam. This means, he goes on with the Simran of His Name, in order to cut our attention from the outside world, and  thorough continous focus on it by Simran, we enter into the subtler realms within ourselves, that what the Bani calls it call Harmandir also.

And thirdly He says: I am lovingly attuned to the Nam.

This means, when we do His simran, we get purified, and thus reveal or make pargat Nam within ourselves, with its refulgence Light/Akhoot Jot, and with our inner ears, we start listening the Divine melodies within, which have an pulling effect towards itself on the soul or jeev atma.

Here, He is revealing us the secret to become one with that ultimate reality, which one may call it: God, Shabad, Nam, Satnam. Waheguru, Akal Purukh, Sachee Bani, Aad Sach, Word, Logos, Tao .... all these terms, refer to the same ultimate and highest reality of Nam

Once the soul becomes stable in listening and seeing Nam within, then something wonderful takes place,  the soul having discarded all  impurities and coverings of different bodies, such as astral and causal, freed from mind ... the soul recovers it self realization of true nature as a particle, a ray, a drop of Nam.

And through apaar kirpa of that Satnam, the jeev atma merges becoming one with Him.

Thus only, the jeev atma, gets freed or gets mukti from the unendable cycle of 84.

In this respect, let us pay close attention to the following sat bachans of Guru Jee.

Avar Karathooth Sagalee Jam Ddaanai ||
All other efforts are punished by the Messenger of Death,

Govindh Bhajan Bin Thil Nehee Maanai ||
Which accepts nothing at all, except meditation on the Lord of the Universe.

Sukhmani Sahib  Guru Arjun Dev

I believe, many think Nam japna is for only those of high avastha .... Nevertheless, Guru Sahiban exclusively point it, to us ordinary beings, full of limitations and heavy loaded karmas .... It is by Nam japna only, that we too can become of high avastha, to the extent, that we can merge in Him, and become one with Him.

That is, by His atee wadeeayee only.

Stay blessed.

SSA.

2 minutes ago, Sat1176 said:

Did he say what was naam? 

whatever name that you're japping. We didn't go in depth into this topic, he just said don't get focused on anhad shabad, go past it. 

i (personal view) see it as a helper. listening to it pulls your surti out from the world so you can more easily focus on naam. But if you are already focused than its fine to completely ignore it and focus on naam. 

Found some  beautiful Sat Bachans from the Bani, where Guru Jee enlightens us with the essence of  Truth of Shabad or Nam.

Naanak, Sabadh Apaar, Thin Sabh Kishh Saariaa 

O Nanak,  the Shabad is infinite; it has arranged everything perfectly.
Raag Gauri Guru Arjan Dev

* In this verse, we can see Guru Jee is saying that the Shabad is Infinite.  And we all agree who or what is Infinte. If asked, some will say Waheguru. Some will say Akal Purukh, some will say Satnam... Though all are right, for it refers to the same highest eternal and changeless Truth.  Yet Guru jee,  here is telling us,  that Shabad is apaar, so naturally we can say, Shabad is also Waheguru, or Waheguru is Shabad in reality.

For many it is difficult to imagine or believe that Waheguru is formless, is omnipresent, is subtle .... there is an logical explanation to answer it. And the only answer is, that Waheguru/Akal Purukh/Satnam, is not something with any particular form or size, for it is an infinite Consciouss energy, with attributes well known as it is Chitful, means Omniscient; it is Param Anand, means an undesciptable ectasy, joy, happiness beyond measure, it is our origin, Parmatma. Of course this all is unimaginable for anyone of us limited human beings.

This Shabad, the creator of everything, can be heard not with our physical ears, but the attention of our souls when gathered at our third eye through gurmantar, or nam japna; this Shabad can also be seen, with the seeing capacity and capability of our soul, known as Nirat.

With correct nam japna tecnique, both of these our faculties of seeing and hearing, get purified and awakened, thus we have darshan of our beloved Waheguru and listen to His melodious voice in the form of Shabad Dhun.

Guru Jee, in this verse reveals us something very deep and beautiful, He says that Shabad has arranged everything  perfectly; which here it means, the Shabad has created everything. So naturally, it is understandable and acceptable, that Shabad, or Anhad Nad, is same as what we at our human level know as Waheguru Akal Purukh or Nam/Satnam.

The Sun is one thing which has light and heat, yet it makes it no difference, if there is someone calling it with different words or even, does not call it at all. It will continue giving light and heat.

In a similar way, it makes no difference to that Supreme Truth or Highest Level of Consciousness, whether we call it Waheguru, Satnam or Akal Purukh; for it is what it is all the time, that what is as an Infinite state of Consciouss energy, which is in constant reverberation without any striking of  any dependant objects or devices.

Even when there is no one to call Him , when Mahaparlay take place, He alone by Himself continues existing, in His Shabad dhun state(Conciouss energy)

For example, a spoon falls on the floor, it makes sound...  usually there are 2 or more objects which strike or clash, thus sound is produced ...  but that One Supreme Truth  of Shabad is such a wonderful reality, that inspite being One without any second, yet it produces Akhoot Jot and  Divine Melody thoughout the eternity of all yugas

Countless devis, devtays, shaktis, Kanas, Brahmas, Vishnus, incarnations, prophets come and go,  in countless creations, tme after time, but that Anhad Shabad, is the same all the time.

We can continue singing His glory, yet still, it is nothing of His beant wadeeayee.

Stay blessed.

SSA.

On 8/25/2014 at 2:24 PM, Sahib said:

not only radhaswamis,udasis,osho,yogis but now many cults are in this belief that naam in shri guru granth sahib is the soundless sound or the anahad naad .onkar is said to be the name of this sound..what are your thoughts guys?

SSA Sahib Jee,

Regarding your question which is the beautiful topic of this present thread, only that much can be said that there is some confusion amongst many  of our sikh brothers and sisters, for they literally take Nam as name. 

The names that come under the format of writing, reading or spoken, such as Waheguru, Satnam, Parbrahm Parmeshwar, Parmatma in our case as sikhs; refer to that Supreme and changeless eternal Truth, which is also a Supraconcious Energy ,  Creative Power, which is in constant reverberation, and is subtle and formless.

This constant reverberation,produces in a way to say, infinite waves, containing full energy in terms of sounds and lights.  This is known as Anhad Naad, Shabad, Amrit Bani. But again, these words are descriptive qualities of that Primal and Conscious creative power or energy.

To this creative Power which is nameless or wordless, there is a mention to it, in Aartee or Anand Sahib, as well as in other angs of SGGS.

Thus this concept of Conscious Energy of Waheguru is acceptable and logical.

Had Nam or Shabad been somehing limited to reading, writing, or spoken, as we all know, it could have never ever created any creations.

Just let us think a little bit, when He  was all alone by Himself since Aad Jugaad, there was nothing such as a paper or pencil to write Him down, neither was anybody to call Him.... Then too, in which language and with which mouth?

All the verbal and written names, are just a handful of His infnite descriptive attributes, shared with us limited beings, by our beloved Guru Sahiban and Bhagat Jan.

He is ajoonee, akal, saibhang... He is Shabad, Anhad Naad.

Just as musical notes, represent particular sounds, in a similar way, His written or spoken  names, are means through a specific jugtee of Nam simran, to cleanse us, and awaken our  faculties of seeing the Jot  and the divine melodies of the Shabad Guru or call it  Anhad Nad.

Bhul chuk maaf.

Stay blessed.

SSA.

• 5 months later...

Is Naam The Anahad Naad?

Found the following utmost two beautiful verses from Gurbani, where Guru Jee precisely describes and answers the question of the OP.

ਨਾਮੁ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਬੇਦ ਅਰੁ ਨਾਦ ॥

Naam Hamaarai Baedh Ar Naadh ||

The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is for me the Vedas and the Sound-current of the Naad.

ਅਨਹਦ ਸਬਦ ਅਚਰਜ ਬਿਸਮਾਦ ॥

Anehadh Sabadh Acharaj Bisamaadh ||

The Unstruck Sound-current  is the Shabad, the Word , which is wondrous and amazing!

Raag Bhaira-o Guru Arjan Dev

SSA.

• 2 months later...