How To Keep Eyeballs From Moving/shaking When Focus Goes Between The Eyebrows?

Fateh!

This was something new to me. I was just focusing on breath, in and our, wahe in and guru out. I was just keeping a mild focus on the darkness in front. Then the darkness came near, and eyeballs converged with a mild focus in front. And then the focus kept moving upwards between the eyebrows and then went to forehead at which point my eyeballs were just pulsating/moving/shaking and then the lower part of jaw was moving as well. I couldnt maintain the focus there at all. Something kept getting faster and faster, and then the focus was lost.

And since I did this just before going to bed, I had problem sleeping afterwards.

Has anyone experience anything like this ? Is it because the eye muscles are fatigued and not conditioned to such strain ? or is there a way to go beyond this eyeball shaking feeling and take it further.

Thanks for sharing !!

Waheguru Ji...

they could very easily be straining..

i used to get eye strain...i really had to try and relax and just focus between the eyebrows and not any higher...just use your finger and push in between your eyebrows at the start so you know roughly where to focus...and just gently roll your eyes up...if you're focussing in the correct place they don't actually roll up that much and you'll feel more relaxed...

i started my regular simran about 2.5 years ago, sat at the gurdwara focussing my eyes at that point, and just doing Waheguru Simran silently in my mind...and with Guru Ji' grace had good progress...

when you start to relax, if any thoughts appear to take your attention away (and they will) learn to recognise them and let them gently pass and return to your Simran...and just 'Be' in the darkness...relax, and enjoy...don't desire anything...or expect anything...

This is just from my experience...Bhagat ji has given good advice also..

Let us also know how you get on..

I have been contemplating this eye straining and looking in particular directions.

Guru ji instructs us with:

ਨਉ ਦਰ ਠਾਕੇ ਧਾਵਤੁ ਰਹਾਏ ॥

na-o dar thaakay Dhaavat rahaa-ay.

Those who close off the nine gates, and restrain the wandering mind,

ਦਸਵੈ ਿਨਜ ਘਿਰ ਵਾਸਾ ਪਾਏ ॥

dasvai nij ghar vaasaa paa-ay.

come to dwell in the Home of the Tenth Gate.

Are we wrong in thinking these physical eyes are the ones that will see all or will it be the inner eyes of the mind that used when we dream for example.

If we just close the eyelids and still move the eyes in a particular direction aren't we infact keeping our dhyaan in the physcial eyes and trying to force them to see through the darkness or skull?

Isn't the whole objective to still the mind and then invert it inwards rather than outwards. I appreciate this is easier said then done but just some food for thought.

I can appreciate if one does this to stop the eyes moving about, but it shouldn't be straining.

Speaking of visions. I read this very interesting info on chakras.net.

The Lotus in the Āgyā Chakra has two petals only. They stand for GU (darkness/ignorance) and RU (light/knowledge), the two syllables from which the word GURU (master) is formed. They also bear the Mantras HAM and KSHAM which represent the sun and the moon, the “masculine” and “feminine” principles, Shiva and Shakti, Purusha (consciousness) and Prakriti (nature).

These principles and primal powers influence both our body and mind. When out of balance they cause psychic or physical disturbances or illness. Until the principles of Shiva and Shakti are united we live in a world of duality from which our desires, wishes and striving after happiness originate. When Shiva and Shakti become one we become whole, the feeling of separation and the emotions connected with this, eg a sense of being unfulfilled and incomplete, vanish. The union leads to balance, liberation, desirelessness and contentment.

In our world duality prevails. Every state, every expression exists as an opposite: Masculine-feminine, positive-negative, hot-cold, good-bad, big-little, long-short, light-dark, wet-dry, clever-stupid, industrious-lazy, the list can go on ad infinitum. We have learnt to think and judge according to these categories. But in reality the apparent opposites are merely manifestations of the same principle – simply extremes of the same thing. One is a lack of the other, therefore, lightness is a lack of darkness and vice versa. Both are expressions of the ruling intensity of light, therefore reflecting the same principle. This simple example may be clear, but in the complexity of life we are often unable to recognise the unity behind the duality. Through the Āgyā Chakra, however, we are able to look behind the scenes and realise that everything existing is a manifestation of God.

The Mantra syllables HAM and KSHAM also stand for Idā and Pingalā, the two main Nādīs, that are allied to the moon and sun principles in the body. The third, and central, Nādī, Sushumnā, represents the Divine Consciousness.

Every twelve years the biggest and most exalted spiritual festival in the world is celebrated at the place where the three holy rivers, Gangā, Yamunā and Saraswatī, meet – the Mahā Kumbha Melā of Prayāgrāj . Gangā and Yamunā, which symbolise Idā and Pingalā, flow above the ground whereas Sarasvatī, the symbol of wisdom and pure, divine consciousness (Sushumnā) flows beneath the earth. During a specific planetary constellation that only occurs every twelve years, the Sarasvatī rises to the surface and unites with the other two rivers. At the time of the Kumbha Melā one can actually discern a stronger current and an increased flow of water at this place. Millions of people go there and immerse themselves in the water in order to free themselves of their Karmas.

For a Yogi the true Kumbha Melā occurs in the Āgyā Chakra. Gangā, Yamunā and Sarasvatī correspond to the main Nādīs, Idā, Pingalā and Sushumnā. The Āgyā Chakra, where these three strong energy currents meet in the human body, is also known as TRIKŪTĪ TATA . Other terms for the Āgyā Chakra are TRIVENĪ TATA and BHRŪKUTĪ TATA (Eyebrow Centre).

In many older illustrations of the Chakras one can see a twisted white cord made from three threads in the Āgyā Chakra. This also symbolises the three Nādīs. In India the Brahmins wear such a cord across their chest as a sign of purity of consciousness.

When Yogis purify these three Nādīs through concentration, meditation and Prānāyāma they are able to keep their consciousness in the Āgyā Chakra. With the merging of these three currents of energy in the Sahasrāra Chakra they attain the state of Samādhi, the highest level of consciousness. Just as the Kumbha Melā only takes place every twelve years, it is also only very seldom that all three Nādīs are active simultaneously. The body and energy channels are purified by regular practice of Prānāyāma and Hatha Yoga so that ultimately all three Nādīs can be aroused at once with the assistance of concentration and meditation. With this a radiant light appears in the Trikūtī and the Yogis immerse themselves in this light just as the faithful immerse themselves in the holy rivers at the Kumbha Melā. All karmas are dissolved in this light of Divine Love and wisdom.

The following can perhaps help us to visualise this? Complete darkness ruled for millions of years in a mountain cave. One day a cave explorer found his way into the cave with a bright torchlight. What happened? Can darkness exist and remain of its own right in a place where it had prevailed for so long? No! As soon as light appears darkness gives way. And what is the essence of bad Karma? It is a violation of Divine Law that was a result of mistaken knowledge, therefore, basically, “darkness” in our consciousness.

All darkness disappears from our being the moment the light of knowledge and truth is ignited.

What is light? Light is Ātma Gyāna and Ātma Jyoti , the light of the Self. The Divine Flame burns constantly in our heart. When it rises and its beam penetrates the Āgyā Chakra any duality is dissolved – Shiva and Shakti, Purusha and Prakriti, are again united.

The flame of the Self is nourished by the oil of love and devotion. Its wick is formed by concentration, meditation and Guru Mantra. When it rises from the heart to the Āgyā Chakra it awakens Bhakti within us. The purer the oil of our love is, the purer and stronger the flame burns. In the Āgyā Chakra we dive into the ocean of Bhakti and attain immortality of the Ātmā.

The Āgyā Chakra is comparable to empty space – free of form, colour and qualities. It is a space of purity and unity, the site of Ānanda, bliss. Here the wings of the soul unfold. Free from the net of Māyā that held it captive, it climbs and dissolves in the light of the “Thousand-petalled Lotus” (Sahasrāra Chakra) that shines as brightly as millions of suns.

There are three aspects associated with the Āgyā Chakra – emptiness (SHŪNYATĀ), consciousness (CHIT) and bliss (ĀNANDA).

SHŪNYATĀ (emptiness) means the absence of a “second” – there exists only unity. While duality exists there is doubt, discord and quarrelling. In German each of these words is based on the word ZWEI, which means two – Zweifel (doubt), Zwietracht (discord) and Entzweiung (quarrelling). Whereas in German the words for unity (Einheit) harmony (Einklang), understanding (Einsicht), concord (Eintracht) and agreement (Einigkeit) all contain the word EIN, meaning one. The latter qualities are the basis for harmony, wisdom, happiness and peace. “Emptiness” is not absence, deficiency or lack of fulfilment, it is the opposite – absolute existence and absolute fulfilment. The “sound of silence” vibrates within us, filled with the vibration of eternal happiness.

CHIT (consciousness) means total clarity and certainty; we recognise and understand the truth. With this we achieve the purpose and fulfilment of our existence – thereafter living means “conscious existence” (CHAITANYA), as opposed to unconscious matter (JADA).

ĀNANDA (bliss) is the expression of eternal, perfect joy that is based on the unity of the Ātmā and transcends the opposites of pleasure and pain.

When we try to fulfil our longing for happiness in the world, we are in reality trying to catch a glimpse of the reflection of Ānanda that radiates from our own inner being. Worldly happiness shimmers seductively – and bursts like a soap bubble when we try to catch it. The joy of the Ātmā is, however, “empty”, which means that it is without properties - absolute, incomparable, infinite, unchanging and steadfast.

The Mantra of the Āgyā Chakra is OM, the original sound of creation. This Mantra is the sound of both the Āgyā Chakra and the Sahasrāra Chakra. OM is the sound of the Divine that we hear when the Ātmā expands into infinity and unites with the Supreme. God, the Supreme Self, cannot be comprehended by the intellect or described with words, but can be experienced as vibration – light, sound or energy. God exists as vibration in every atom. The vibration of the Supreme is A-U-M, or OM. This represents the beginning, middle and end; therefore, the whole of creation. When in meditation we become absorbed in this Bīja Mantra we are able to hear the omnipresent, divine vibration of creation.

In meditation concentrate on the Āgyā Chakra with the Mantra OM or your Guru Mantra and visualise a divine image or symbol there. Through Bhakti and Gyāna, devotion and wisdom can be experienced. This experience is known as Paravidyā, “complete” knowledge, because it is unchanging, unlimited and eternal. Through the intellect we merely gain Aparavidyā, “incomplete” knowledge, which is changeable, limited and bound by time.

The awakening of the Āgyā Chakra is an essential and fundamental step in our development. The abilities that lie in this Chakra help us to cope with all problems and are of great assistance for those people suffering from psychic problems such as depression, Schizophrenia or changeable emotions. Emotions, in themselves, are unbiased. They are a form of energy that can serve us positively or negatively, just as fire can be useful but also destructive. With the assistance of the Āgyā Chakra we can learn to control and guide this inherent energy positively.

VAIRĀGYA (renunciation) is a prerequisite for the attainment of true knowledge. To attain the eternal we must let go of the transitory. Vairāgya is an inner occurrence – the extinction of our wishes and desires. These always produce new karma, and when they “dry up” the river of karma runs dry by itself. Vairāgya is best developed through concentration on the Āgyā Chakra. But at the same time we should be careful of the harmony and balance between “heart and intellect”, and never ignore either. Never forget – the goal is to harmonise and unite both aspects of our being, not to suppress one of them.

In the Āgyā Chakra we dive into the ocean of knowledge and the ocean of bliss (Ānanda) in which fear and sorrow vanish without trace. But we are still not at the goal. We are still not fully united with the Self. At any time Māyā can again seize possession of us and pull our consciousness down into lower levels. We can protect ourselves from this when we read holy books, seek out spiritual company, cultivate good thoughts, never cause anyone pain and always behave with love and understanding. When your actions are filtered and purified by the Āgyā Chakra they are exemplary, pure and positive and support your spiritual development.

Many who start with Yoga are initially full of enthusiasm and practise very diligently, but after a while they give up. Why is this so? Because their resolve was not firm enough.

Our goals in life should be as strong and firm as a tree – deeply rooted and able to withstand all storms. This is a precondition for our success in life. Nothing can succeed without firm resolution from the start. Cause and effect, as well as beginning and end, are inseparably linked to one another; but because of our dualistic perceptions we generally do not realise this.

Everyone is responsible for their own life. Consider the purpose of your existence and what you would like to achieve in life. Make your decisions with Viveka (discrimination), live consciously with love, understanding and devotion, and it is certain that you will reach your goal, God-Realisation.

I have been contemplating this eye straining and looking in particular directions.

Guru ji instructs us with:

ਨਉ ਦਰ ਠਾਕੇ ਧਾਵਤੁ ਰਹਾਏ ॥

na-o dar thaakay Dhaavat rahaa-ay.

Those who close off the nine gates, and restrain the wandering mind,

ਦਸਵੈ ਿਨਜ ਘਿਰ ਵਾਸਾ ਪਾਏ ॥

dasvai nij ghar vaasaa paa-ay.

come to dwell in the Home of the Tenth Gate.

Are we wrong in thinking these physical eyes are the ones that will see all or will it be the inner eyes of the mind that used when we dream for example.

If we just close the eyelids and still move the eyes in a particular direction aren't we infact keeping our dhyaan in the physcial eyes and trying to force them to see through the darkness or skull?

Isn't the whole objective to still the mind and then invert it inwards rather than outwards. I appreciate this is easier said then done but just some food for thought.

I can appreciate if one does this to stop the eyes moving about, but it shouldn't be straining.

From my own experience, i think its the moving of the attention/consciousness to just between the eyebrows that helps...but during the early stages your eyes just naturally focus there also helping to lock your focus there...and then over time you will probably notice the eyes are very relaxed and you're not straining them to that point...

inner vision with Guru Ji's grace can be awoken, and various things can then be seen that are not seen with the physical eyes...but with the spiritual eyes of the subtle body....

A common sight is that of light, third eye chakra tends to have the purple/indigo light and if you take your Simran seriously it will start to become pure white...

This is just from my own experience so far and may not be how it is for everyone...just keep an open mind...so that you're receptive

I have stopped straining my eyes, just try to keep a mild focus between the eyes. sometimes there is a tickling feeling on forehead where the hairline starts, not sure if that means anything.

also if i do it before sleep , keeping a mild focus, i cant go to sleep, somehow sleep is gone leaving a restless feeling.

I have stopped straining my eyes, just try to keep a mild focus between the eyes. sometimes there is a tickling feeling on forehead where the hairline starts, not sure if that means anything.

also if i do it before sleep , keeping a mild focus, i cant go to sleep, somehow sleep is gone leaving a restless feeling.

do you mean that after your mediation you just cannot fall to sleep? or during the meditation when you are focussing at that point?

I've never had a problem falling to sleep if i do this lying in bed...i'll just eventually drift off...but i know that some people can't do this because their energy is very active...

i do taichi, and my tai chi teacher always tells me to do 'grounding' visualisation if i do any tai chi in the evening before i go to sleep...he said my energy will be very active and i won;t sleep well...

some visualisation is standing with both feet firmly to the ground...then imagining roots coming out of your feet going into the ground... if you google grounding, maybe you'll find other techniques..

Edited by chzS1ngh

do you mean that after your mediation you just cannot fall to sleep? or during the meditation when you are focussing at that point?

after my meditation i cannot go to sleep, if i exert myself focusing in between the eyebrows.

but if i am lying down and just focusing on breath or saying waheguru its no problem.

i only lose sleep when i bring my attention/awareness to that point or strain my eyes. so i have stopped doing it.

Lol you don't need us to tell you that focusing on forehead is no good if you can't sleep.

The only reason why you would want to do that is to get a feel for the third eye chakra, since the feeling you get from doing that is a little bit similar to the feeling of third eye chakra. But if doing that constantly is messing with your daily routine then stop. It's not any better than any other kind of meditation. Heck I've never done that in any meditation and my third eye chakra still becomes fully fired up.

• 2 weeks later...

Most applicable to this thread. I have often wondered about this myself. When ever I tried to focus there my eyes moved up.

Ajna chakra: Located in the space between the eyebrows. Close your eyes and press into that space with the tip of a fingernail. Allow your attention to rest in that felt place, while allowing your eyes to remain in a level, straightforward position. It is a habit of mind to pull the physical eyes along to the place where attention goes, but we want to disconnect the eyes from the attention so that the attention is free to rest in the space on its own.

Soma chakra: Another finger width above is the location of the soma chakra. It can take some considerable amount of time to find this place with inner awareness. Soma is thought to be an intoxicating plant that has some spiritual value, whereas the yogi finds the real soma, the inner soma. The joy of meditation on soma chakra is one of divine intoxication.

Guru chakra: Another two finger widths above soma chakra is the location of the center of the triangular shaped guru or jnana chakra. Experientially, this is much higher in the forehead than the ajna chakra. A common mistake is to have attention in the space immediately in front of the eyes and to merely visualize a triangle. You want to explore and find the real guru chakra with your attention, remembering again to disconnect from the positioning of the eyes so that it is awareness itself that is on the guru chakra.

Guru chakra is the doorway to that knowledge, to the wisdom and guidance of the teacher within. The sixth chakra, at the eyebrow center, is called ajna chakra, which includes "a" and "jna", which means the center without knowledge or with little knowledge ("a" is without or little and "jna" is knowledge). Guru chakra is experienced in the forehead, and is also called jnana chakra, or the center with knowledge. The knowledge of ajna is lower knowledge, while the knowledge of jnana is higher knowledge, and is equated to being the pure light of knowledge.

Edited by Sat1176

i disconnected from the physical eyes. i think its the most natural way to do so. just keeping attention awareness there without actually moving the eyes.

A question popped up in my mind. Does anyone feel that sometimes your attention is most focused on the left side of the whole body body,legs to head, when sitting down, something pulling in you in a diagonal left direction instead of staying upright. thanks.

i disconnected from the physical eyes. i think its the most natural way to do so. just keeping attention awareness there without actually moving the eyes.

A question popped up in my mind. Does anyone feel that sometimes your attention is most focused on the left side of the whole body body,legs to head, when sitting down, something pulling in you in a diagonal left direction instead of staying upright. thanks.

That's interesting. It might be because you are activating your right brain more during meditations and the right brain is responsible for your left body. All the nerve endings, the chakras, they respond and report to the right brain.

Think of it this way: The left brain is where language is processed. So when you stop processing it in meditation, and when you start focusing on imagery, sounds, emotions etc then the right brain activates.

Now it's not a black and white, even split between right and left. But there is a difference and I think that difference maybe causing you to pay more attention to the left side of the body.

Try focusing on the right side of your body. In fact, do a sitting where all you do is focus on the your body, like a scanner from sci-fi movies, imagine your consciousness slowly scanning your body, up and down, and see how that goes.

Then try to balance your awareness equally throughout your body. Imagine your body is a vessel full of water and you are trying to distribute it equally throughout.

(If there are any aches and pains, do not resist them. Include them and the areas around them in your meditation.)

I do this before going to bed sometimes and I manually relax all my tense muscles so that the body can higher quality sleep and rest.

Don;t think i've ever had such experience...i tend to lose reference to my body during deep meditation

So how's that working out so far Ragmaala? Are you able to sense something in that area without looking at it physically?

you can pratice this during the day...for example, i am currently typing this message, but i can move my attention to different parts of my body, fingers, toes, top of head but keep my eyes at the screen :)

becomes easier the more you practice...

i learn Tai chi...and that involves a lot of placing the mind in different parts of the body (energy points) while doing the taich form...becomes easier the more you do it..

So how's that working out so far Ragmaala? Are you able to sense something in that area without looking at it physically?

i think its good. yea just by keeping attention there it can be felt. sometimes it happens spontaneously, its not very prominent but sometimes a slight magnetic tug happens in that area on its own, nothing spectacular or fireworks type but yea something is there in that area. mostly its on its own. And mostly with eyes open, when I look at Gurbani or a photo of Mahapurakh.

I think you mentioned somewhere to keep an attention there even all day while doing activities, and as chz mentioned he keep an move attention. So thats what I would focus on , keeping an attention there. And if something worth mentioning happens i will update. :)

Don;t think i've ever had such experience...i tend to lose reference to my body during deep meditation

Yeah the attention goes away from the body fixates into itself. But prior to that the attention is still wandering a bit so Ragmaala is talking about this stage where the attention is still on body parts. Also the attention can become fixated on a region of the body and when it does then the chakra in that region activates.

Smaller chakras are easy to activate. Chakra in the hand is very easy to start up. Eckharte Toll talk about this one alot as a beginner meditation. The 6 chakras in the torso and head are larger and much harder to activate. The chakras are connected so once you activate one, the other ones partially activate as well.

you can pratice this during the day...for example, i am currently typing this message, but i can move my attention to different parts of my body, fingers, toes, top of head but keep my eyes at the screen :)

Indeed. I think meditation should be practiced throughout the day, not just in formal sittings.

i think its good. yea just by keeping attention there it can be felt. sometimes it happens spontaneously, its not very prominent but sometimes a slight magnetic tug happens in that area on its own, nothing spectacular or fireworks type but yea something is there in that area. mostly its on its own. And mostly with eyes open, when I look at Gurbani or a photo of Mahapurakh.

I think you mentioned somewhere to keep an attention there even all day while doing activities, and as chz mentioned he keep an move attention. So thats what I would focus on , keeping an attention there. And if something worth mentioning happens i will update. :)

I like that phrase "magnetic tug". I've felt that in the left side of my face. My jaw and cheek region sometimes feel like they are being pulled to the left.

It maybe explained by asymmetry in the muscles as well. Or asymmetry in their relaxation.

Man the more I talk about this stuff the more I want to meditate. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Meditation Focus for the Eyes

At the Third Eye Point: Closed eyes are gently raised to the Brow Point, at the center of the forehead a little above the eyebrows. This part of the forehead corresponds to the Sixth Chakra.

• Stimulates the pituitary gland and sushmuna (central nerve channel of the spine).

At the Tip of the Nose: Eyes are slightly crossed, looking along the nose to the top of its tip.

• Balances the ida, pingala, and sushmuna (left, right and central nerve channels of the spine).
  • Stimulates the pineal gland and frontal lobe of the brain; controls the mind.

At the Tip of the Chin: Closed eyes are rolled downwards to the center of the chin. This location corresponds to the Moon Center.

• Cooling and calming.

At the Top of the Head: Closed eyes roll upwards, as if looking through the very top, center of the head. This area is the Crown Chakra, the Tenth Gate.

• Stimulates the pineal gland and the Crown Chakra.

1/10th Open (9/10th Closed): Eyelids are light and relaxed, leaving a small opening between them. Direction of eye focus may vary as indicated by Yogi Bhajan’s instructions.

• Calms and develops intuition.
Edited by Sat1176

One way I found that is helpful. Is using the hand.

Not only can you meditate on the hands, on the sensations and aliveness...

You can also touch the area of the body where you want to focus and feel the heat from the hand. And feel the pressure of the palm pushing against that area of the body.

You can use this technique to gain some access to the chakras.

If the straining the eyes doesn't feel good, then take your hand and place the palm on your forehead. Connect with the third eye chakra like that. Feel the heat on your forehead.

Take your hand and put it on your chest and feel your heart chakra. Feel the heat on your forehead and listen to the heartbeat.

And so on.

The hands are energy centers. This is why healers use their hands to connect with the illness. And when you see a Sant blessing someone they use their hand, they face teh palm towards the person.