Does Any Of The 10 Gurus Used To Do Meditation?

Sahib

I have heard that God is always meditating upon Himself.

If you are talking about outer physical bodies of Guru Ji, they showed us the way by meditating, singing Gurbani Kirtan, singing praises of Nirankar, doing sewa, sitting on tatti tawi etcetc. They practiced what they taught us.

Forget about them being meditating, They are whom we meditate upon. :)

Just because sikh community loosing its sikh dharma spiritual hertiage does not mean sikh spiritual hertiage does not exist...Sikh history is filled with glorious examples of meditation, events of bedeh mukht (turiya atith- non transcedental sehaj state) avastha by gursikhs and our guru's.

For example, here are some of many examples:

Sri Guru Nanak dev ji meditating on itself-effortless meditation before in river where he disappeared.

Sri Guru Arjan dev ji in sahaj sun smadhi- bedah mukh avastha while he was being matyr- put on iron hot place

Sri Guru Tegh Bahudar Ji went in deep meditation for 10-20 years in bairaag.

Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji maharaj previous incarnation meditation as- dusth daman listed in his autobiography- bachitar natak, gone in non transcedental meditation when he uttered- tuhi tuhi 16,000 times in akaal ustat and cut it short later on.

Baba Deep Singh ji fighting with his head off, bhai taru singh, bhai mani singh ji also going through extreme torture yet smiling in samaj sun smadhi- bedah mukh avastha as they were merged in their atma.

Akaal

• 1 month later...

From teachings of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji it would imply Gurus started with mantra jaap meditation to help still and control the mind. i.e Raam, Har Har, Waheguru etc.

Chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, O my mind; it will bring you eternal peace, day and night.
har har naam japahu man mayray jit sadaa sukh hovai din raatee.
Chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, O my mind; meditating on it, all sins and misdeeds shall be erased.
har har naam japahu man mayray jit simrat sabh kilvikh paap lahaatee.

Meeting the Guru, I am victorious; praising the Lord, Har, Har, the walls of the fortress of doubt have been destroyed.
gur mil jeetaa, har har keetaa, tootee bheetaa bharam garhaa.

Make the effort, O very fortunate ones, and meditate on the Lord, the Lord King.
udam karahu vadbhaageeho simrahu har har raa-ay.

Chant the Naam, the Name of the Lord of the Universe; don`t be lazy.
naam japat gobind nah alsaa-ee-ai.

One who enshrines love for God within his mind,
antar govind jis laagai pareet.
never forgets the Lord; he continually chants the Lord`s Name, Har, Har, in his conscious mind. Pause
har tis kaday na veesrai har har karahi sadaa man cheet.

Edited by Sat1176

I totally agree with you guys..but you got my question little wrong..i mean do sikh gurus preach meditation like budhism?

Isn't that simran?

I also recall there was a statement in an extant hukam-nama from Guru Gobind Singh ji for his followers to "Guru Guru jaapna".

I totally agree with you guys..but you got my question little wrong..i mean do sikh gurus preach meditation like budhism?

Buddhists often advocate different type of meditation that Sikhi.

But when it comes to chants.

The Sikh meditation is to chant Ram naam and sing bhajan-kirtan. Buddhists often chant Om Mani Padme Hum (in chinese it became Om Mani Pe'me Hum), they don't have the bhajan-kirtan tradition like us.

I used to listen and chant with this a lot. I love this tune.

Gavo Ram ke Gun Geet, Sing songs of praise of Ram.

Edited by BhagatSingh

Sahib Jee,

the SGGS is full of countless tuks on meditation, as per means of devotion to Him and thus our union with Him, by merging in Him.

Following are some beautiful words of Dhan Dhan Satguru Ram Das Maharaj from Raag Dhanasree, regarding your question:

jan naanak ka-o. gur ih mat deenee jap har bhavjal tarnaa.

The Guru has blessed servant Nanak with this understanding,

that by meditating on the Lord, we cross over the terrifying world-ocean

Have we ever asked ourselves, what is the purpose, what is the objective of Sikhee?

Is it not, our union with our beloved Wahiguru?

And if Wahiguru or Shabad Guru is not something physical or material, then how will we ever merge in Him? Because for sure, it is not our body, which is going to merge in Him....

Neither the mind ......

Then, what is left as such which can merge in Him?

Naturally, the answer is our soul consciousness.

And the teachings tell us, our soul is covered by layers of filth of karmas, and two more coverings, such as astral and causal bodies.

So meditation is, just like heating water, it impulses our souls upwards, towards subtle spiritual planes.

Then reaching there, one has two options, either one keeps wandering in Maya there, or either, one holds on to the Anhad Shabad, and gets pulled out from the realms of matter, mind and maya, by the powerful hand of Shabad Guru, who then places us at the Lotus Feet of Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

So brother, simran + bhajan = meditation, which unites us with Him.

Sat Sree Akal.

Edited by harsharan000

..it was an effortless realisation in a state of deep relaxation.

This is often the case with Enlightenment. It comes about effortlessly in a state of deep relaxation.

The effortless state and deep relaxation is known as sehaj avastha.

The other method is to suffer immensely! I mean to suffer in the pits of hell like Eckharte Toll and go so deep into suffering that that energy, the suffering, gets transmuted completely into an experience of merging with Waheguru.

First you need to understand the what is meant by Meditation.

The best explanation I have heard is from Swami Rama who said the mind continuously thinks of many things. You get thoughts after thoughts after thoughts. The purpose of mediation is to bring the mind down to a single thought and this is best achieved by the use of mantra.

I will see if I can find the relevant video.

Its actually my fault..meditation is a very wide word..what i mean is not simran...sitting with back straight and doing dhyan..is that mentioned in sggs anywhere..it would be helpful if anyone can quote in from sggs

Sahib Jee,

please allow me to differ from you. Meditation is not a wide word at all from my point of view. To meditate, is just to think deeply upon something.

That much simple.

But, different thing is, where that meditation takes us.

Meditating is like driving a car.

Now, each one has different needs and destinations to go. Some may have to go to the office, some may have to go to leave their children to the school, others may have to go the hospital, still others to the police to complain about being robbed, some to supermarket to buy grocery, etc.

Everryone drives the car to reach a different destiny, but that does not mean, driving is wide or difficult. But rather it means, wherever one has to go, one reaches there by driving.

In a similar way, meditation is trying to reach higher levels of consciousness in the spiritual realms. Some have Swarg as thier final destinantion, others Baikunth, some others Shivpuri, others long for devis, devtas, etc......

We can see, each jeeva working out their destinies .....

And in sikhee, we are not less also.

By His grace, He is our only supreme objective and destiny, we do not look here or there, only forward, towards Him through Gurmat.

Just today I was reading a passage from the Bani, and coincidentally I think, it answers your question in the quote above,just as you wanted it from the SGGS, it is all Wahiguru´s kirpa, bro Sahib.

It is wonderful, it is just amazing, how Guru Jee answers our queries in simple words, revealing us the Truths which otherwise would be quite imposible to understand Him....

Raag Kaanrhaa, Bani Sree Guru Ram Das Maharaj, here it goes :

ਹਮਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਜਗਜੀਵਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਜਪਿਓ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਰ ਮੰਤ

Hamarae Har Jagajeevanaa Har Japiou Har Gur Manth

हमरे हरि जगजीवना हरि जपिओ हरि गुर मंत

I meditate on my Lord, the Life of the World, the Lord, chanting the Guru's Mantra.

Here He clearly says, I mediate on my Lord Wahiguru, doing the jaap, repeating the Gur Mantra, for instance Wahiguru.....

And in the following line, He openly tells us , what happens if we do this sacred practice of Naam Simran.

He says:

ਹਰਿ ਅਗਮੁ ਅਗੋਚਰੁ ਅਗਮੁ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਆਇ ਅਚਿੰਤ

Har Agam Agochar Agam Har Har Miliaa Aae Achinth

हरि अगमु अगोचरु अगमु हरि हरि मिलिआ आइ अचिंत

The Lord is Unapproachable, Inaccessible and Unfathomable; the Lord, Har, Har, has spontaneously come to meet me.

By this He means, that, Wahiguru who otherwise is Agam Agochar(Unapprochable, Inaccesible and Unfathomable), by meditating upon Him, doing the jaap of the Gur Mantra, that very Lord, spontaneously, easily, effortlessly, comes and meets me by His Grace....

Sahib jee and dear all Sangat jee, just keep gazing at the beauty and sweetness in these words of Guru Jee above....

Ooouch Apaar Beant Waheguru.

Edited by harsharan000