2 minutes ago, Amandeep Hindustani said:

So, not launching the 74 million dollar satellite would have solved the hunger problem in India? Why don't you read up on the overall benefits of the space program?

I just saw a youtube video of a certain gurudwara being washed in milk. Don't you think you could ship some of this milk to the increasingly poor people in Punjab?

Mr hindustani. I see you are still as immature as you ever were. Let's discuss Gurdwaras being washed in milk where appropriate. You feel really strongly about it, so start a new topic, and we can discuss it there.

Now seeing as this is about mangalayan, let's discuss mangalayan. Thank you.

1 minute ago, Amandeep Hindustani said:

Oh...and I have a better idea. Its actually brilliant. If farming is not working for you (cant make a profit or a decent living) how about you change professions? One thing that poor people in India have in common is that they are mostly farmers.

That is very good advice.

2 minutes ago, Amandeep Hindustani said:

That is your root problem.

Well it's not my problem is it? I'm not living in a country where 7000 people are dying from starvation every day, whilst the gormint spends crores of rs on showing the world it can sent something into space, whilst simultaneously having no procedure on how to act upon information the satellite sends back. And then claims it will help the common person.

No, I believe the Mangaalyaan is tied into a larger issue. Should a state put all its resources into poverty reduction ignoring every other sector, or take a more balanced approach like every other nation in history?

Should private institutions, gurudwaras, temples, mosques play their part by selling off their massive landholdings, buildings and pump all money into poverty reduction?

What role do religious institutions play in promoting hunger and malnurishment? (cant eat this, cant eat that)

BTW, the Indian Space Program has done hundreds of launches for the United States, Brazil, Europe in the last couple of years with a chance to grab a slice of the multi billion dollar space industry. The space program is paying for itself.

Sure, start a new thread. I'm going to argue that the major religions of the world are the biggest leaches. Far worst than any government.

The Indian Space Research Organization has spent >80% of its monies in two fields - satellite sensing for fisheries and agriculture (the biggest program in the world) and commercial launch (a very profitable enterprise). The Mars effort is expected to test technologies beneficial for both streams

- The total budget of the Mars effort is $75M, the amount that Europeans would expect to pay a top football star annually.

I've made the point before about how a nation's technological development in relation to improving the life standards of the poor within it, are staggered. It took a long while for the benefits of the industrial revolution to trickle down to the common man in England for example. 

I've also said that developing a modern economy is beneficial over agriculture in a multitude of ways in the new jobs they generate, and also in how they can inspire people beyond the traditional - especially when the traditional ways have become outdated. What other option does a backward cesspit like India is right now have (including and maybe especially Panjab) other than aspire to be able to play in the big boy games? The expertise developed from delving into these modern technologies may not benefit everyone immediately but in time, given stability and a (hopefully) increase in national intellectual development, it should raise standards overall. I'm no Indophile, but to get up you have to aim high.

I'm inspired by a shithole like India being able to do this stuff. That doesn't mean I'm not unconcerned by the deeply entrenched attitudes towards the poor though.

Sometimes, I think certain apnay are just deeply jealous and upset about any progress that doesn't immediately benefit themselves.

I think if you are a Sikh Panjabi you should be more worried about the backwards bullsh1t going on in the region under our majority control that this stuff.  Pendus should take note at what others are doing and contrast this to our own current retrogressive trajectory. 

16 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

I've made the point before about how a nation's technological development in relation to improving the life standards of the poor within it, are staggered. It took a long while for the benefits of the industrial revolution to trickle down to the common man in England for example.

True. I'm on the side of technological development and the opening up of other sectors. Its is inherently more stable. Agricultural should be no more than 10% of the economy. Now, when individuals are trying to open up different sectors people are having hissy fits.

I have nothing against the farmer or agricultural but for me they are just another profession. Smart people are leveraging their land assets to get an education or open up a business. Also, not a fan of some of the other social ills that purely agricultural based communities produce (female infanticide, caste and religion based violence, endless freebies, superstitions etc..)

5 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

That's more to do with astute business sense than recognising any skill or achievement. Labour is so cheap in india that it will be a win-win situation for SAAB. They get their jets produced for less, get a good deal from india and also will export and make even more money.

So you are thinking that unskilled mazdoors will make jets? India has shortage of skilled experianced population.The problem in India is very large unskilled population who apart from some farming don't know anything

india has always produced good scientists but never been able to hold onto them. Europe/USA have always been able to poach them with ease.

India can produce enough scientists to fulfill Indian as well Europe and USA demand.India or no developing nation can give you as much salary as USA will offer

Just read the following

What has the “aam admi” got out of these four rupees; or even forty or four hundred, counting over the year? Plenty! Recall how Indian satellites hovering around us give us real time information on weather, information to fishermen and coastal farmers on the tides and fish flock, on the state of ships and other vessels near and far from the coast, carry radio and TV waves, and most of all help in saving lives of millions.

Thanks to help from our space programme, the loss of lives in the recent cyclone Phanini was limited to 44 and almost a million people were saved by prior evacuation. Earlier cyclones, when we did not have this facility of early warning killed tens of thousands. Yes, but why to Mars? Herein is where the idea of development becomes important. India is still thought of as a “developing nation”, once ridiculed as a “ship to mouth” economy.

How does development occur? When and how does a country become “developed”?

Development has multiple components: proper food, clothing and shelter for the people; adequate education and culture; good health; good environment; equal opportunity for all; ability to defend from enemies; economic stability and growth; and above all, good governance, all leading to a feeling of justifiable national pride. If you look at any one of these above components, technology plays a vital role in it. Technology comes out of logical, scientific and rational thought and its application. The greatest thing about technology is that it is scalable to millions, it becomes cheap and affordable once it is spread, demanded and used; it can thus offer convenience and progress for the entire nation. Thanks to technology, we have now moved from “ship to mouth” to a “silo to ship” economy, and we rid ourselves of smallpox and polio, and are vaccinating all children against some common childhood diseases. It is here that Mangalyan is relevant. The 460 crores expenditure has several useful effects. We are using the latest technology, indeed creating new ones, and at a frugal cost. Mars missions by European or American countries would be at least thrice costlier. And the design, building, testing and setting up have all been done by Indian engineers. Only some vital components are imported. It has thus led us to be self-sufficient and advanced our capabilities. The technological prowess to aim for Mars means that we can apply it, and even better it for terrestrial needs at home. It also brings us business (recall that we pack the payloads of other countries in our satellites). It has captured the imagination of youngsters (over 2 lakh “likes” on Facebook by 18-21 year-olds). Mangalyan thus is a tool to attract youth and advance science.

It is therefore not an expense but an investment for the future. Today it is Mars, tomorrow even greater challenges. Should India not be ready? Mars is thus a metaphor.

Should these 460 crores not have been spent on feeding the poor? Look at the larger picture. The budget of India for the year 2013-14 is Rs 16,65,297 crores; this amounts to an individual amount of about Rs 14,500 per person. We have budgeted Rs 27,049 crores for agriculture (Rs 235 per Indian), plus Rs 33,000 crores on the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act or MGNREGA, to help the rural poor, which is another Rs 280 per person.

Money is thus earmarked and distributed to help the rural poor (Mangalyan has not taken away even a rupee out of these allocations). Despite these efforts, there are large holes in the programme, thanks to inefficient governance.

If we can tighten this up, complaint about feeding the poor will be far less or can even vanish. Here too, technology helps through efficiency, cutting out the middlemen and so forth. Compared to these, Rs 460 crores on Mangalyan, or Rs 4 per Indian (about an onion or two) is not just a grand bargain but a steal!

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/science/mangalyaan-a-steal-at-re4-per-person/article5347627.ece

Space program in India already saved million lives. In future it will do more .Chennai rains were  different It was more than expected rains plus man made development which caused the floods

8 hours ago, Amandeep Hindustani said:

No, I believe the Mangaalyaan is tied into a larger issue. Should a state put all its resources into poverty reduction ignoring every other sector, or take a more balanced approach like every other nation in history?

Thank you Mr hindustani. Of course there should be a balance. Now where do you think the middle line is between 3 million indian deaths since Sep 14, and the 2700 lives you feel were saved.

For an indian you don't really care too much about your countrymen do you.

8 hours ago, Amandeep Hindustani said:

What role do religious institutions play in promoting hunger and malnurishment? (cant eat this, cant eat that)

Can't eat with these people, can't eat with those people. etc.

I'm sure you will find that Gurdwaras feed more people than those returning from a gurdwara hungry.

I mean, on a balanced approach, I'm sure you would agree.

3 hours ago, kdsingh80 said:

India can produce enough scientists to fulfill Indian as well Europe and USA demand.

That has not been borne out by past trends.

Space program in India already saved million lives.

Wow. One the one hand Mr hindustani says 2700 lives were saved. Now you want to push it to 1 million?

Chennai rains were  different It was more than expected rains plus man made development which caused the floods

Sorry Mr 80, but this malayan thing was lauded as being able to detect weather patterns and therefore save lives on the ground. So if more rain fell than expected, this space thing has failed it's objective, but more alarmingly 3 million of your countrymen have died since that time.

This is the type of ish Indians shamelessly ignore:

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhmmZATL9WQJt1mbLk

The other issue Chatanga highlighted is important - 'braindrain' - when the smartest people leave a nation for better shores. To their credit, the fact that India has done what it has thus far given the exodus of scientific minds overseas is something that is not only commendable but astonishing. 

Raw talk, India has an ample amount of geeky brains to sustain it.   The culture seems to produce highly intelligent goofy nerds. 

7 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

That has not been borne out by past trends.

Wow. One the one hand Mr hindustani says 2700 lives were saved. Now you want to push it to 1 million?

Sorry Mr 80, but this malayan thing was lauded as being able to detect weather patterns and therefore save lives on the ground. So if more rain fell than expected, this space thing has failed it's objective, but more alarmingly 3 million of your countrymen have died since that time.

That is not my claim but claim of scientists on Orrissa cyclone .Also is USA natural disaster proof? What about hurricane Katrina ,with all their latest technology they were unable to prevent that

As far 3 million countrymen are concerned poverty in India is declining gradually

Reduction in poverty[edit]

The World Bank’s Global Monitoring Report for 2014-15 on the Millennium Development Goals says India has been the biggest contributor to poverty reduction between 2008 and 2011, with around 140 million or so lifted out of absolute poverty.[98] Since the early 1950s, Indian government initiated various schemes to help the poor attain self-sufficiency in food production. These have included ration cards and price controls over the supply of basic commodities, particularly food at controlled prices, available throughout the country. These efforts prevented famines, but did little to eliminate or reduce poverty in rural or urban areas between 1950 and 1980.[99]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_India#Reduction_in_poverty

There are no quick fixes  to these problems , everywhere it has declined gradually .After independence India had same approach which you are suggestting , No scientific development ,high taxes , no luxury . But there was never poverty reduction

5 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

This is the type of ish Indians shamelessly ignore:

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhmmZATL9WQJt1mbLk

The other issue Chatanga highlighted is important - 'braindrain' - when the smartest people leave a nation for better shores. To their credit, the fact that India has done what it has thus far given the exodus of scientific minds overseas is something that is not only commendable but astonishing. 

Raw talk, India has an ample amount of geeky brains to sustain it.   The culture seems to produce highly intelligent goofy nerds. 

The younger generation is not at all satisfied .My brother is software engineer in very high pay band yet he is trying for Canadian and USA visa. His reason he just want to see the world and  reach the ultimate level

7. Economic Aspects of India’s Space Program
Prev Chapter 10. India’s Space Enterprise — A Case Study in Strategic Thinking and Planning Next

7. Economic Aspects of India’s Space Program

By the early nineties, all the four major components of the space programe, namely, Satellite Communications, Meteorology, Earth Observations and Launch Vehicles had entered the operational stage.

The Satellite-based Communication Services (SATCOM) Policy of 1997 and the Remote Sensing based value added services envisaged opening of the space industry to the private sector. Therefore it was considered timely and appropriate to commission a study on the economic aspects of the Indian space program through the Madras School of Economics (Sankar 2006a; 2006b; Sankar et al. 2003).

7.1. Space Expenditures

Accumulated space expenditures since inception to the last fiscal year ending on March 31, 2006 amounted to US$ 7 billion. These expenditures category-wise are given in Fig. 4.

Fig. 4

ch10_fig4.jpg

As is obvious from the figure, 39 per cent investment is on launch vehicles, 36 per cent on Satellite communications and meteorology, 14 per cent on earth observations, 6 per cent on space sciences and the balance on other items. About three-fourth of the total expenditure was incurred towards development of technology in the case of launch vehicles, whereas in the case of satellite communications, meteorology and earth observations, three-fourth of the investment is for building operational systems based on service needs of the country.

The space expenditure of India as a percentage of gross domestic product (GDP) today stands at 0.09 per cent. Compared with the current annual government space budgets of US $2.5 billion for Japan, and US$1.5 billion for France, India’s space budget is US$0.60 billion.

7.2. Methodology

For the purposes of economic analysis, it is useful to classify space activities into two stages, namely, (i) design, development, testing, manufacturing and launch of spacecrafts into desired orbital slots (construction stage), and (ii) applications of satellite services to different uses (exploitation stage). The output basket of the space program contains a mix of private goods, public goods, social goods and strategic/incommensurable goods. Research in space sciences, most meteorological services and information are public goods. Equity considerations are important in provision of certain goods e.g. access to public telephone, access to radio and TV. The social goals dominate in public sector radio and TV programs. Use of the space program as an instrument for guaranteeing strategic, political, scientific and economic leadership yields strategic and incommensurable benefits. The methodology adopted for the two stages, category-wise, is given in Fig. 5.

Fig. 5

ch10_fig5.jpg

7.3. Construction Stage

Regardless of the nature of goods / services provided and whether it is produced by a public firm or private firm, cost minimization is a valid criterion. The economic costing methodology requires (i) a rational basis for allocation of costs among the payloads of a multi-purpose satellite (ii) apportionment of common and joint costs amongst various ongoing programs of the organization / institution (iii) investment expenditure, their time pattern and cost of capital and (iv) output streams, their time pattern and discount rates for present value.

The global market for communication transponders is generally com­petitive with many private and public suppliers and many customers buying the transponders. Government induced market distortions are relatively less in this market. Hence, the international market prices can serve as a benchmark for assessing the cost effectiveness of INSAT transponders. A detailed study on economic costing of INSAT transponders with 10 per cent cost of capital on investments and 5.5 per cent discount factor on future returns has brought out the cost advantage of INSAT transponders by at least 25 per cent of the prevailing international prices. The cost performance of INSAT system has been considered to be commendable keeping in view the relatively high capital cost in India and the dependence on some foreign components in the production of the satellites.

A comparative analysis of remote sensing satellites and launch vehicles is rather difficult due to non-availability of reliable estimates of the costs of foreign systems and also due to differences in capabilities. However, preliminary estimates show that the costs of Indian Remote Sensing Satellite (IRS-1D) is very much lower than the reported costs of similar LANDSAT and SPOT satellites. Similarly, the development cost of India’s PSLV and GSLV is US $1.3 billion as compared to about US $ 4 billion for the European Ariane 1 to 4, though there are some capacity variations in these systems.

7.4. Exploitation Stage

For measurement of the benefits, the role of satellite technology is considered under three different categories: (a) where the technology is unique, (b) where the technology is a substitute to existing technologies, and (c) where the technology is complementary to existing technologies. In the second case, one can measure cost savings due to satellite technology compared with the existing technology. If the technology is superior to the existing one, one has to estimate the incremental value of the improvement. Where the space technology is used in conjunction with many other technologies, one has to rely on a cost allocation procedure or a benefit sharing method or on expert opinion to estimate the benefit attributable to the space technology.

The INSAT system has played a key role in augmenting Broadcasting, Telecommunications and Meteorological services in the country and has contributed immensely to economic and social development. Satellite communication technologies are terrain and distance independent and they enable governments to achieve goals such as the development of backward and remote areas at low costs and in a short time and thereby achieve technological leapfrogging.

7.4.1. Television

The Major benefits of the INSAT system to Doordarshan (public TV) are expansion in area coverage from 14 per cent in 1983 to 78 per cent in 2005, population coverage from 26 per cent in 1983 to 90 per cent in 2005, increase in the number of channels from 2 to 32, remote area coverage, satellite news gathering, dissemination of weather and cyclone warning and use of TV as a media for training and education.

A detailed analysis show that for enhancing the population coverage further from 90 to 100 per cent with the distribution of a bouquet of 20 DD channels by the public broadcaster Doordarshan, the capital cost and annual operating cost through terrestrial technology is Rs.34560 million and Rs.5184 million respectively while a satellite based solution with direct reception at homes, would involve a capital cost of Rs.6380 million and annual operating cost of Rs.357 million. Thus, given the unique physiographical feature of India, the satellite communications is the least-cost option for achieving 100 per cent population coverage.

The growth of satellite TV has also aided in the emergence of new econ­omic activities. The advent of satellite TV contributed to the growth of sev­eral industries like the manufacturing of TV sets, cables, receiving antenna and other equipment and program production. There are about 100,000 cable TV operators and about 35 million cable TV households in the country. The gross earnings of cable TV operators is nearing Rs. 10 billion.

7.4.2. Telecommunications

Remote area communication is an important objective of public policy. There is considerable cost savings due to use of satellite technology compared with the alternative of optical fiber cable network in remote area communication. The cost of connecting 393 remote areas, currently served by INSAT, by optical fibre cable would be Rs.23580 million while the comparable cost for satellite technology would be Rs.10460 million. It may be noted that there are 30,000 remote villages of similar nature needing connectivity. The other uses of satellite technology are: alternative media back up for terrestrial services, business communications, portable terminals for disaster management, Tele-medicine and Satellite Aided Search and Rescue.

Apart from the cost saving, there are many external benefits which are diffused economy-wide. In case of Andaman and Nicobar (AN), rapid expansion of telecom since the mid-nineties facilitated the integration of AN with the mainland thereby boosting the growth of industry, trade and tourism and raising the growth rate of gross state domestic product to more than 8 per cent.

7.4.3. Meterology

Satellites have made significant contributions to the generation of meteorological information by extending observation to oceans and remote areas on land, enabling generation of new types of observations, facilitating new concepts of data assimilation into models, reducing costs of a few types of observations and enhancing the reliability of certain types of data.

Meteorological services are recognized as public goods. The major contributions of satellite technology are in the areas of weather technology (cloud motion vector, wind-sea surface temperature and outgoing long wave radiation) and tropical cyclone (identification of genesis and current position, intensity of change and transmission of cyclone warnings). A comparative study of 1977 (before INSAT) and 1990 (after INSAT) cyclones which hit Andhra Pradesh, shows that even though the two cyclones are similar, due to the successful tracking of the cyclone in 1990 with the INSAT imaging instrument (VHRR) and the success of preparatory steps taken by the government, the loss of lives in 1990 was only 817 compared with 10,000 in 1977. This is an important incommensurable benefit of satellite technology.

7.4.4. Remote Sensing

The advantages of remote sensing are synoptic coverage, multi-spectral capability, multi-temporal capability and digital capture of data. Remote sensing technology is being used in three different situations. It is an exclusive tool for estimation of snow melt run-off, rapid assessment of areas affected by natural disasters, identification of potential fishing zones in offshore areas and mapping of inaccessible areas. It is a substitute tool to conventional methods in mapping of land use, waste lands, and urban land use; preparing ground water prospect maps, watershed development plan, coastal zone management plan etc; and in monitoring forest cover, urban sprawl, status of environment etc. It is a complement in cases like area and crop forecasting and urban development plans. Its advantage is that it yields unbiased, timely and enhanced information. Based on case studies of applications of remote sensing in India’s development programs, Table 3 provides estimates of investments, direct returns, and economic benefits.

Apart from the major benefits enumerated above, the policy of self-reliance has also enabled internal competence building and technology development and spin-offs to non-space sectors. For example, the spin-off outputs till 2005 include 224 Technology Transfers, 165 patents, 10 trademarks and 17 copyrights. ISRO has nurtured a symbiotic partnership with more than 500 Indian firms. The flow of funds to industry currently is about 40 per cent of the space budget. This partnership has generated significant spin-off effects to the industries in terms of improved manufacturing processes, quality control and management practices.

Table 3: Investments and Benefits in Remote Sensing

A

Investments

Rs. Millions

Operational Missions

Data Reception, Processing and Applications

B

Direct Returns

Returns from sale of Satellite Data and Value Added Products by NDC

Returns from ANTRIX through access fees and royalty

Opportunity cost (cost of foreign satellite data equivalent to IRS data used).

~ 5,000

Cost saving due to value addition

~ 12,000

Cost saving due to mapping using RS data

~ 11,000

C

Economic Benefits

Rs. Millions

Program

Nature of Benefit

Estimate from Case Studies

Potential Benefit to the country in the Long-run

National Drinking Water Technology Mission

Cost saving due to increase in success rate

(5 States)

5,000 – 8,000

Urban Area Perspective / Development / Zonal / Amenities Plan for Cities / Towns

Cost saving in mapping

(6 Cities)

16,000 – 20,000

Forest Working Plan

Cost saving in mapping

(200 Divisions)

Potential Fishing Zone Advisories

Cost saving due to avoidance of trips in non-PFZ advisories

Wasteland Mapping: Solid Land Reclamation

Productivity gain

(UP)

Integrated Mission for Sustainable Development: Horticultural Development in Land With and Without Shrub

Gross income

Rs.0.20 to 0.40

(per hectare)

13,000 – 26,000

Bio-prospecting for Medicinal Herbs

Value of Indian life saving drugs

Note: 1US $ = Rs. 45.

Prev Up Next
6. Relevance of Space to South Asia Home  

13 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

Thank you Mr hindustani. Of course there should be a balance. Now where do you think the middle line is between 3 million indian deaths since Sep 14, and the 2700 lives you feel were saved.

For an indian you don't really care too much about your countrymen do you.

Can't eat with these people, can't eat with those people. etc.

I'm sure you will find that Gurdwaras feed more people than those returning from a gurdwara hungry.

I mean, on a balanced approach, I'm sure you would agree.

Since your cost benefit analysis was kind of lame. I have added some information to the discussion about the space program. Additionally, how much gallons of milk are wasted in washing the floor? I would like a number.

In the olden days the concept of langar was created to feed the poor, hungry and pilgrims that came from far and wide. What I see (correct me if I'm wrong) is that a lot of people are using the langar to avoid having to cook and spend money at home. Heard it from several Sikh families here in Canada.

One gentlemen told me " We are trying to buy a house so we need to save money" we avoid buying food at home and periodically eat at the Gurudwara and come back.

Also, I have donated thousands of dollars over the last few years to both Hindu temples and Sikh Gurudwaras but have yet to see a return of any type. I'm sure you're the same. Did you get any tangible return on investment?

Yet, you still persist. What is more absurd?

6 hours ago, kdsingh80 said:

Also is USA natural disaster proof? What about hurricane Katrina ,with all their latest technology they were unable to prevent that

Why concern yourself with USA? Concentrate on your own house. USA don't have 7000 people a day dying from starvation.

6 hours ago, kdsingh80 said:

There are no quick fixes  to these problems , everywhere it has declined gradually .After independence India had same approach which you are suggestting , No scientific development ,high taxes , no luxury . But there was never poverty reduction

It comes down to empowerment. Like my main man Ali-G said, "give a man a mix cd and he dance for a night, give him twin turntables, and he'll be mixing for a generation."

Governments have a duty to look after their citizens.

1 hour ago, Amandeep Hindustani said:

Since your cost benefit analysis was kind of lame. I have added some information to the discussion about the space program. Additionally, how much gallons of milk are wasted in washing the floor? I would like a number.

You really are hung up about washing floors with milk.

The number of gallons would be so insignificant, compared with 7000 people dying every day in your country.

Also, I have donated thousands of dollars over the last few years to both Hindu temples and Sikh Gurudwaras but have yet to see a return of any type. I'm sure you're the same. Did you get any tangible return on investment?

I didn't donate any dollars with a view of tangible returns. Maybe you have the approach?

One gentlemen told me " We are trying to buy a house so we need to save money" we avoid buying food at home and periodically eat at the Gurudwara and come back.

Wow. You heard the claims of one gentlemen, which has haunted you throughout the years, but the cries of agony suffered from millions of your starving countrymen goes unnoticed.

Maybe you should lose the "hindustani" , because the way you seem to despise the suffering of your fellow hindustanis?

43 minutes ago, chatanga1 said:

Why concern yourself with USA? Concentrate on your own house. USA don't have 7000 people a day dying from starvation.

It comes down to empowerment. Like my main man Ali-G said, "give a man a mix cd and he dance for a night, give him twin turntables, and he'll be mixing for a generation."

Governments have a duty to look after their citizens.

Governments do have a duty to look after their citizens. But don't citizens also have a duty to look after themselves? Who is asking for freebies in Punjab? The government or the citizen? Does the citizen know that freebies put immense pressure on the government and empty their coffers?

38 minutes ago, chatanga1 said:

The number of gallons would be so insignificant, compared with 7000 people dying every day in your country.

I didn't donate any dollars with a view of tangible returns. Maybe you have the approach?

Wow. You heard the claims of one gentlemen, which has haunted you throughout the years, but the cries of agony suffered from millions of your starving countrymen goes unnoticed.

Maybe you should lose the "hindustani" , because the way you seem to despise the suffering of your fellow hindustanis?

Since the agony of the poor bothers so you so lets get a list of what you have done for the poor? Or is it all just lip service? I bet you are sitting here in the west enjoying the dollar or pound while extolling your relatives to ask for more freebies from the Punjab government - gareeb kissan nu panni de do, gareeb kissan blah..blah..blah..

55 minutes ago, chatanga1 said:

I'm more concerned with the creator of the universe whom you worship completely ignoring the misery, pain, suffering and hunger of the entire world not just "Hindustanis" after all these issues could be solved with a twinkle of an eye by the creator. No?

Yet, you still fork over the cash, and have for millenia. How many trillions will your God take? And where are the results, not for myself, but for these poor people?

I guess your're no different than the people of India. You just have a different sarkar.

993 crore budget for what?

Chatanga, if these figures are even remotely accurate, Sikhs should hang their heads in shame. 

If we've got that much money floating about and we're still a backwards cesspit in Panjab, we aren't any different to some backwater African banana republic. 

How comes you feel no shame about what is going in Panjab? 

28 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Chatanga, if these figures are even remotely accurate, Sikhs should hang their heads in shame.

If we've got that much money floating about and we're still a backwards cesspit in Panjab, we aren't any different to some backwater African banana republic.

How comes you feel no shame about what is going in Panjab?

Its because religion and god are not held up to the same standards as governments and people. I'm not singling out Sikhism either.

Hindu Temples hold 1 Trillion Dollars in Gold!

Modi wants to monetize all this wealth.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/up-to-1-trillion-in-gold-is-held-by-temples-in-india-now-modi-wants-them-to-monetize-this-vast-hidden-wealth

In Southern India a story that sounds like the plot line of a Hollywood adventure is unfolding. Over the past week, on orders from the country's Supreme Court, a panel has found a treasure estimated to be worth $22 billion in the underground vaults of a Hindu temple in Trivandrum, India.

The AP reports:

Inside the Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple, investigators were counting the staggering hoard of gold coins and statues of gods and goddesses studded with diamonds and other precious stones. Outside, small groups of armed policemen patrolled the temple grounds in the heart of the Kerala state capital, Trivandrum.

Metal detectors were hurriedly installed at temple entrances after six days of searches revealed a treasure trove of artifacts, statues and temple ornaments made of gold and embellished with jewels.

The valuables were donated to the temple by devotees over hundreds of years, and India's erstwhile royal family has been the custodian of the treasures.

The vaults had not been opened in about 150 years and the treasure spans some 500 years. India's Supreme Court ordered that the vaults of the temple be inventoried after a man filed a suit that worried about how the trust was caring for the riches.

In some ways, that's where the story gets interesting. With the find, India is in the middle of a heated discussion about what rights to afford former royalty and what should happen to riches like these that include historic pieces destined for museums. The Christian Science Monitor offers a condensed family history:

The temple is controlled by descendants of the royal family of Travancore, the former princely state of the region. It is believed the former rulers donated much of their wealth to the temple, where it lay in safe keeping for decades. Offerings by the many worshippers making pit stops there along the global trade routes probably also contributed to the treasure.

It was no stumbled-upon find, however. While the vaults have been kept under lock and key for around 150 years, the wealth has been on the public record.

Still, $22 billion (yes, billion with a "B") is a lot of money. We wondered why it wasn't put to use. The Hindu newspaper reports that the royal family ruled Travancore as "padmanabha dasasas," which means they were servants of the temple's deity. The BBC explains a bit better in between some legal history:

The Supreme Court stayed a ruling by the high court in Kerala, which ordered the state government to take over the temple and its assets from the royal trust. It also ordered the trust to hand over responsibility for the temple's security to the police.

The members of the Travancore royal family entrusted their wealth to the temple because they consider themselves to be servants of its presiding deity. The deity, Padmanabhaswamy, is considered by devotees to be an aspect of the Hindu God Vishnu in eternal sleep.

But there was a public outcry when the Maharajah attempted to retain control of the temple by citing a special law, with many arguing that the wealth belonged to the people now.

The panel appointed by the Supreme Court has opened five of the six vaults. The panel managed to open the sixth vault but found an iron wall inside it, reports the BBC. As if the story couldn't get any weirder, The Hindustan Times reports the sixth vault has a snake on the front door and quoting an unnamed royal family source, it reports that opening it "might be a bad omen."

The Guardian reports that the sixth vault has "special locks" but experts should be able to examine them and open it by Friday. The Guardian also reports that the inventory is being conducted under the watch of police, but no pictures or video of the vaults will be taken or released because it "is strictly prohibited" within a "sacred space."

Update at 9:30 a.m. ET, July 6: "India's Supreme Court Takes Steps To Protect $22 Billion Treasure."

Update at 2:43 p.m. ET. On The Value Of The Treasure:

As we said, $22 billion is an almost unimaginable number. But that is likely a conservative estimate. The Hindu reports that the panel is simple counting and weighing the valuables. "Their value, including antique value, is not being assessed," The Hindu reports.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2011/07/06/137627235/some-22-billion-in-gold-diamonds-jewels-found-in-indian-temple

16 minutes ago, Amandeep Hindustani said:

Its because religion and god are not held up to the same standards as governments and people. I'm not singling out Sikhism either.

Hindu Temples hold 1 Trillion Dollars in Gold!

Modi wants to monetize all this wealth.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/up-to-1-trillion-in-gold-is-held-by-temples-in-india-now-modi-wants-them-to-monetize-this-vast-hidden-wealth

I think Hindus are woefully blind to how they come off in the wider world myself. That, nerdy, effeminate, goofy thang with the comical accent is embarrassing. 

13 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

I think Hindus are woefully blind to how they come off in the wider world myself. That, nerdy, effeminate, goofy thang with the comical accent is embarrassing.

These nerdy, goofy types are the ones that eventually run the world. While others sit on tractors and sing about the dust on their crops. Or show off their tatoos standing in front of a rented Maserati.