Punjab Govt Releases Rs 5 Lakh Compensation For Shaheed Bhai Jaspal Singh Family

Chandigarh – More than a year after young Engineering Student Jaspal Singh, was killed when the police opened fire to disperse peaceful protestors in Gurdaspur, a compensation of Rs 5 lakh has been given to his family. Another sum of Rs 2 lakh has been handed over to injured Ranjit Singh from the Chief Minister’s Fund. This was revealed as a petition filed in public interest on the issue came up for pronouncement this morning.

jaspalsingh_sidwan.jpg?resize=620%2C330

Disposing of the petition filed by NGO Lawyers for Human Rights International, a Division Bench of Acting Chief Justice Ashutosh Mohunta and Justice Harinder Singh Sidhu refused to express opinion on the status report submitted in the matter, which said bullets were fired in the air.

The development took place after Navkiran Singh disputed the conclusions made in the status report “that no bullet was fired by targeting anybody and bullets were fired only in the air”. Speaking for the Bench, Justice Sidhu said: “It is not for this court to opine on the merits of the conclusion reached in the status report. It has been settled by the Supreme Court in a large number of cases that once the final report under Section 173 of the CrPC is submitted in a competent court, the matter is to proceed further as per the procedure laid down in the CrPC.”

Bhai Jaspal Singh was peacefully protesting against the impending execution of Balwant Singh Rajoana. The Bench asserted: “As per the procedure mandated by the SC, if the court of CJM, Gurdaspur, the competent court where the final report has been submitted, decides not to take cognisance of the offence and drop the proceedings, the concerned court must give notice to the informant and provide him an opportunity to be heard.”

Source: http://singhstation.net/2014/11/punjab-govt-releases-rs-5-lakh-compensation-shaheed-bhai-jaspal-singh-family/

If shouting abuse is a crime that can get you shot then maybe we would have seen hundreds of the monkeys from the Shiv Sena shot that day. I was in Jagroan that day and the amount of fear among the Hindus was palpable. Virtually all had closed their shops and the police had warned people against travelling. For the Hindus, if your life revolves around hating the Sikhs, hating your own language because the Sikhs love the same language and hating the state that you live in then even a little disturbance causes you to panic. I remember a Punjabi Hindu guy in his late 40s who would have lived through the liberation struggle asking 'Is Khalistan coming' and this just based on a few hundred Sikh demonstrators protesting the death sentence. The atmosphere in Punjab is changing, just as the rest of the country is becoming a Hindu state, the Sikhs are waking up to what this means for Sikhs.

I agree with Tony here ..it is not that the police had not anticipated trouble ..they should have used rubber bullets ..and what is badal and company doing anything to ease out tensions ?

The fact is the entire fiasco is based on fear factor ..Sikh Radicals thinking system targets them ..Hindus thinking Sikh Radicals target them...i appeal to both sides..let the differences be ..come together on what matches ..the Gurus are venerable to both ..atleast come together on Parvs ..

If shouting abuse is a crime that can get you shot then maybe we would have seen hundreds of the monkeys from the Shiv Sena shot that day. I was in Jagroan that day and the amount of fear among the Hindus was palpable. Virtually all had closed their shops and the police had warned people against travelling. For the Hindus, if your life revolves around hating the Sikhs, hating your own language because the Sikhs love the same language and hating the state that you live in then even a little disturbance causes you to panic. I remember a Punjabi Hindu guy in his late 40s who would have lived through the liberation struggle asking 'Is Khalistan coming' and this just based on a few hundred Sikh demonstrators protesting the death sentence. The atmosphere in Punjab is changing, just as the rest of the country is becoming a Hindu state, the Sikhs are waking up to what this means for Sikhs.

use rubber bullets on whom? it has never been proved that the abusive fella died of police firing. what if he got accidentally by one of his own? as you can see in his earlier pic, he is showing off guns. i dont understand this attitude, if he was ready to kill then he (and the siyapa committees formed after his death) should have been ready to be killed too. he was a part of a violent mob and you cannot rule out any possibility.

Have some bloody shame!!!!!

Do you not have any limits?

Thus young lad has become shaheed, a mother has lost a son, and all you can think to do is comment on his rowdiness?

So, protesting against your totalitarian government is a crime, is it? Why, don't you like minorities having freedom?

Honestly, posts like yours get me so worked up!!!! It's one thing to have an opinion, but come on, a young lad has died here.

I would say have some respect, but I guess I expect nothing less from people like you. Grow up.

shaheed cannot be "innocent". he has to be a combatant to become shaheed. there can only be a innocent victim - a non-combatant who is killed by a transgressor.

According to who? Based on sikh traditions from guru's time from glorious examples of guru and his sikh matryr, any peaceful political activist who gave their life for the cause is also an shaheed..Please refrain from telling us where to use shaheed and where not to use shaheed.