Removal Of Five Kakaars

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa
Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Is there any lines in Gurbanee or PURATAN Rehatnamay which state that all five Kakaars cannot be removed from the body at any time?

I know for sure that Kachera cannot be removed from the body at any time. Both Nanaksar and DDT follow it. But, DDT is very strict on other Kakaars too. I believe that it could be due to their love for Kakaars.

I feel extremely uncomfortable taking my Kirpan and Kara to the washroom especially when answering the call of nature.

Can someone please clarify with CLEAR references?
Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Edited by paapiman

as per puratan rehatnama

shastar kave baithe naal le jaave so singh tankhaiya

one who takes shastar when going to toilet , is tankhaiya

agar kave jauana pave taan tusi shastar duje singh nu fada devo

but if panj pyaare have instructed to keep them on, tie your kirpan on dastar while going there

Thanks bro for the information. Kangha is easy to maintain in the Kesh and Kachera can be tied on the leg. Any info on Kara? As you know, while washing a Kara can easily come in the way and be contaminated.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Why do you take your kakaar's off when you got to the washroom??? Keep them on you!!!

Bro, I feel it is unhygenic to take your precious Kakaars to the washroom as they can be contaminated with filthy hands especially Kirpan and the Kara.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Edited by paapiman

as per puratan rehatnama

shastar kave baithe naal le jaave so singh tankhaiya

one who takes shastar when going to toilet , is tankhaiya

agar kave jauana pave taan tusi shastar duje singh nu fada devo

but if panj pyaare have instructed to keep them on, tie your kirpan on dastar while going there

Puratan rehitnamas also say to never go without kirpan and kashehra... Your rehitnama says never take a shastar to the toilet which is correct but a small kirpan can go with you to the toilet. In puratan time Singhs when they had to go to the toilet they used to give their 3 foot Sri sahibs and shastars to other Singhs but they kept a small kirpan in their kamarkasa.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a smaller Kirpan in Your Keski.

10th Patshah says:

ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ ਸੀਸ ਪੈ ਰਾਖ ਕੈ ਬੁੰਗਾ ਊਚਾ ਧਾਰ ||

-Bhai Daya Singh Rehatnama

Here's a Small Rehatnama from Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee in regards to Kakkars and Kurehats:

ੴਸ੍ੀਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹ॥

ਸਿਖੀਰਹਿਤ॥

ਸ੍ੀਮੁਖਵਾਕਪਾਤਿਸਾਹੀ੧੦॥

ਨਿਸ਼ਾਨੇਸਿਖੀਈਂਹਰੂਫਪੰਜਕਾਫ॥

ਹਰਗਿਜ਼ਨਬਾਸ਼ਦਈਂਪੰਜਮੁਆਫ॥੧॥

ਕੜਾਕਾਰਦੋਕੱਫਕੰਘਾਬਿਦਾਂ॥

ਬਿਲਾਕੇਸਹੇਚਅਸਤਜੁਮਲਹਨਿਸ਼ਾਂ॥੨॥

ਹਰਫਹਕਾਇਤਅਸਤਈਂਪੰਜਕਾਫ॥

ਬਿਦਾਨੰਦਬਾਵਰਨਗੋਯਮਖਿਲਾਫ॥੩॥

ਹੁਕਾਹਜਾਮਤਹਲਾਲੋਹਰਾਮ॥

ਬਾਚੀਸ਼ੇਹਿਨਾਂਕਰਦਰੂਸਯਾਹਫਾਮ॥੪॥

Have a smaller Kirpan in Your Keski.

10th Patshah says:

ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ ਸੀਸ ਪੈ ਰਾਖ ਕੈ ਬੁੰਗਾ ਊਚਾ ਧਾਰ ||

-Bhai Daya Singh Rehatnama

Here's a Small Rehatnama from Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee in regards to Kakkars and Kurehats:

ੴਸ੍ੀਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹ॥

ਸਿਖੀਰਹਿਤ॥

ਸ੍ੀਮੁਖਵਾਕਪਾਤਿਸਾਹੀ੧੦॥

ਨਿਸ਼ਾਨੇਸਿਖੀਈਂਹਰੂਫਪੰਜਕਾਫ॥

ਹਰਗਿਜ਼ਨਬਾਸ਼ਦਈਂਪੰਜਮੁਆਫ॥੧॥

ਕੜਾਕਾਰਦੋਕੱਫਕੰਘਾਬਿਦਾਂ॥

ਬਿਲਾਕੇਸਹੇਚਅਸਤਜੁਮਲਹਨਿਸ਼ਾਂ॥੨॥

ਹਰਫਹਕਾਇਤਅਸਤਈਂਪੰਜਕਾਫ॥

ਬਿਦਾਨੰਦਬਾਵਰਨਗੋਯਮਖਿਲਾਫ॥੩॥

ਹੁਕਾਹਜਾਮਤਹਲਾਲੋਹਰਾਮ॥

ਬਾਚੀਸ਼ੇਹਿਨਾਂਕਰਦਰੂਸਯਾਹਫਾਮ॥੪॥

Bro, can you plese provide the english translation of the above?

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

• 3 weeks later...

Just general observation not against any post in specific but just general observation:

Process of keeping five kakars with you all the time has to be seamless as second nature as part of body, if its not seamless it could become an hindrance in one spirituality or one can easily turn that into dogma as most often we see- many singhs/singhani who have taken amrit 10 years ago are still stuck in adjusting their life style to five kakars. I meant if one whole 10 years is spent on external rehit then generally one got lot of catching up to do - going introvert, inwards, work on our inner rehit-self reflection, withdrawing our five senses -panj birthiya from objects abiding in shabad, watching your thoughts arising, being aware of self-atma, not be attached or clinged to our thoughts.

In my personal assessment/observation, many sikhs are way too caught up in intial/external stages in dharam that they totally forgot about actual inner spiritual journey. Time should not wasted. We have very limited time on this earth. It's like student who admitted to school instead of focusing on actual studies, wrap their head around their uniforms, spent 10 years of focus around uniforms instead of actual studying syllabus/quizzes/test ..it wouldn't make sense would it?..In studies, student in school adapts its uniform as very natural seamless process second nature process to the point where not one second is spent thinking about external details as more attention is now paid towards actual syllabus, deep study quizzes, text.

Here gurbani gives beautiful great transcendental updesh to muslims who were stuck in outer sharia to raise/uplift their consciousness from shariat to higher realms, as gurbani updesh is for everyone, this applies to very such as sikhs as well:

All dharam have four layers/stages- Shariat, Tariqat, Marfat and Hakikat . Sikhi have same structure in stages (similar stages are discussed in anand karaj lavan)

At shariat layer of sikhi one takes admission to sikhi by taking amrit, by taking the physical initiation khanda batta da amrit and receiving naam amrit is quite important as it symbolizes that now student/shish/sikh has a guru/teacher in our case our guru is sri guru granth sahib ji and saints/panj pyares are guides just available for help between path of journey between you and your guru.
It's pretty common to see these days people(especially youths are spending their precious time in doubts/pondering/debating-winning arguments over policy(rehat details etc) just accept it and move on to different stages i.e - if one in marfat stage, one can transcendent on some of rituals in shariat (rehat) or one can keep them without paying any attention to them so much so not even one second or breath is spent pondering over the rituals in shariat layer because focus is actually on the adhyatam now.
Rehat maryada as it is supposed to free an individual not attach back to dogma..again nothing wrong with rehat maryada be it bibek, chalisa itself but if caution is not paid in the mindset same thing could be turned into dogma by individual.
Guru maharaj has provided his hand to them to get them out from web of trap in the first-shariat layer of sikhi by giving this vak:
All though originally updesh given to sharia panthi muslim of that time but gurbani is meant for everyone including off course sikhs,
Ang- 1083
saraa sareeath lae ka(n)maavahu ||
Let your practice be to live the spiritual life.
thareekath tharak khoj ttolaavahu ||
Let your spiritual cleansing be to renounce the world and seek God.
maarafath man maarahu abadhaalaa milahu hakeekath jith fir n maraa ||3||
Let control of the mind be your spiritual wisdom, O holy man; meeting with God, you shall never die again. ||3|

Neo is back with his post about shariat tarikat marfat & haqeeqat, however I agree with him :)

Besides that most of the Rehatnamas go into petty details giving Sikhi a Shariac feel, which is not really the purpose of Sikhi. Use your bibek buddhi. Sikhi gives you a broad frame but the things in it are really in your hands. The amount of importance hatched to not removing kakkars for even a second turns it into a ritual in my opinion. I am not saying that Kakkars are not important, Khalsa is an army and has to be tyar bar tyar all the time and this was true especially back in the day when there were constant attacks and battles so you had to be on it 24/7... But just see for yourself that it does not become a ritualistic thing, 'oh damn my kachehra came off fully, shall I go pesh?'

Edited by SikhKhoj

Neo is back with his post about shariat tarikat marfat & haqeeqat, however I agree with him

Mega lol, sorry for the rant..Had to mention this, its very crucial we don't get stuck and fall into same trap many hindus and muslims fell with their idiolized dogmatic perception on things, as they say sikhi is thin razor edge sharp path- always walking on thin ice so there are no room for fixations, conditioning keep on moving with five kakars seamlessly (bodily engaged yet de-attached) as a water flow.

• 2 years later...