Getting Into Nature Photography- Any Good Dslr?

SAadmin

Thanks bro, what kind of camera you have? I will look into that as well. Ideally I like to get canon eos 5d mark III but its close to 3000, hopefully get used one. I was talking to someone earlier, he said since this is your first DSLR don't just jump right to 5d mark III, go step by step, have full frame lense which is compatible all across.

Wait mine's not Dslr. But it's good for starting out because the lens is quite good, for taking close up shots and far away shots. I got it for $600 couple years ago.
Nikon coolpix p530
My sister got is because she is into nature photography. It's work really well since it allows her to take pictures of birds and animals that are far away. She was also able to photograph the moon (that I used for my painting of Dashmesh Pita ji.), including the individual craters to a high resolution!

I personally love it because it's great for taking reference photos.

Try and go full frame if you can. They have much better ISO capabilities. Otherwise a 7d mk2 is supposed to be quite good with fast frames per second count.

I picked up an EOS 550D/rebel t2i a few years ago but am not happy with it anymore. View finder is tiny and too much grain in the shots when i go 400 iso or above.

Key points that you need to pay attention to is the size of the view finder. Bigger the better. then its glass glass and more glass.

Checkout froknowsphoto.com for some recommendations. Think he compared the Nikon range not so long ago and selected the first camera he would buy.

Speaking of, viewfinders tend to be pretty small on most if not all cameras I have seen. I don't use it because it's incredibly eye-straining.
I prefer the screen. On my camera it comes out and I can easily position the camera higher or lower than eye-level to take shots at different angles. Green squares pop up and indicate where the lens is focusing. The screen is very convenient.

Let me know if I don't know what I'm talking about lol.

With nature photography, its all about the lens... if you plan on shooting wildlife, you will need something like Canon L glass to really get professional shots. You will need at least 500 mm to get close enough to wild animals. Having said that, you can get pretty good shots with some of the lower end Canon lenses. But my recommendation is go with Canon body, and use third party lenses which are compatible like Sigma or Tamron. You can usually save some on the lenses that way and they work just as well.

(I am a photographer and degree graphic artist, prior to getting in the military thats what I studied in school)

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

Ladakh is heaven on earth highest town in the world. I love to go there one day. Penji if you are getting married in ladakh or near ladakh..I will invite myself and my wife to your wedding lol..hope you don't mind.

ALL of Kashmir is a photographer's paradise :D The Valley is lush and green, lots of trees etc. While Ladakh is cold desert landscape like in the photo above, all the mounatins are bare and brown. Sonamarg is beautiful as is Gulmarg. I will be living in Kashmir half the year once married :) Lucky me!!!!

Satkirin, nice! You are quite talented with a camera. Do you further render the photos using software?
I love it when people have my paintings as cell phone backgrounds. That painting of Mai Bhago was my first digital painting on Sikh history. If you liked it, you'll also like this one. http://sikhiart.com/fantasy/akalini-warrior-monk/ Another badass Singhni!

Ragmaala that's bold! I like that you are experimenting with hard and soft edges in that piece. Water colours require a level of "i don't give a shit". They require that you be decisive about your actions. I see that in that piece. Keep working at it.