Tips For Doing Katha.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa..Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

I like to do Katha and Gurbani Discussion but I don't know how to start and be a decent Kathavachak.I haven't performed it anywhere and in genreal I do it to myself only when I am alone :P .I know there is alot to be learned before becoming a Kathavachak but what are the tips for starting off ?

I believe it takes atleast 5-10 years of studying at taksal or nirmale , udasi, sevapanthi akhara. I used to have detailed circulum on names of text which needs to be mastered before becoming kathavachik..i will try to find it but it goes something like this:

Here are some of name of texts:

- Sarkurtvali

- Bhannu parkash

-Bhavrasasmrit

-Vedant darshan

- Bhai gurdas ji varan

-  Moksh parkash

- Soraj parkash granth

- Sri guru granth sahib ji

- Sri dasam granth sahib ji

- Rumi works (optional)

Damdami taksal says you need to understand nine granths below before you can start on bhai gurdas ji varan and sri guru granth sahib ji. I beleive these nine granths lays out framework of gurmat both absolute and relative views- antriv, uthanka, different aspects of vahiguru

Kam1825:

The nine granths are

Chanaka Raajneeti
Sarkutavali
Bhavrasamrit
Vichar Mala
Vairag Shatak
Parbodh Chandar Natak
Adhiatam Parkash
Birti Parbhakar
Vichar Sagar

These are only taught in Bhindra now all this vidiya has not existed at Mehta since Sant Jarnail Singh Ji stopped teching during the Dharam Yudh Morcha. Thse granths are needed as the basis to understand gurbani then further work can be done by learning the Vedant Paribhasha, Upnishads, Moksh Panth Parkash, Adhyatam Parkash, etc

Only after these are studied should you start on the gazals of bhai nand lal and the works of Bhai Gurdas Ji.

Giani Harbhajan Singh Ji Dhudhike Wale and Baba Hari Singh Ji Randhawe Wale are possibly the best ustaads at the moment for all these granths as many of the other ustaads have only worked up to vichar sagar and not even heard of the birti parbhakar. 

Edited by N30 S!NGH

Are these 9 granths taught along with Guru Granth Sahib Ji or after, as like a comparitive religious study, because if they are taught first wouldnt that effect the meaning of Gurbani, because your reading them first and basing you understanding of Gurbani on them, and reading Gurbani after. Also, what about Rehatnamas and Gurblas and other Sikh Granths, also shouldn't these Granths be taught first then these 9 Granths of different groups.

Kam 1825

No they are taught before you start any gurbani, they are your foundation to understanding gurbani, they dont effect the arths but are the foundations fr it. They are your early schooling. It is the same as if you ever wanted to do a degree you need your years of schooling before to understand the details to something like astronominal aeronuticals or quantam gravity physics. The Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the most difficult of any granth as it is easy to read but the meanings are an endless ocean and without the necessary pre education you cant fully comprehend the teachings in either Gurbani or Ithaas. 

Kam 1825

Chanak Raajneeti was written around 2000 years ago
Sarkutavali was written by Pandit hardayal who was linked to Guru Amardas Ji's lineage
Bhavrasamrit was by Pandit Gulab Singh Nirmala
Vichar Mala by Anath Das Udasi
Vairag Shatak by Bharthari who was one of the Sidhs who met Sri Guru NanakDev Ji
Parbodh Chandar Natak by Pandit Gulab Singh Nirmala
Adhiatam Parkash by Pandit Sukhdev Singh Nirmala
Birti Parbhakar by Pandit Nischal Das
Vichar Sagar by Pandit Nischal Das

only three of the granths are by the nirmalas. All apart from Birti Parbhakar can be found in gurmukhi 

Wow.....I didn't knew that much..It ain't easy to be A Kathawachak.Anyhow thanks for the info N3O S!NGH Veer Ji...I am going to do graduation and can't join Taksal but there is a Missionary College In Anadpur Sahib which offers 2 year course On Some Guru Granth Bani,Dasam Bani and Sakhis + Books written by sants and mahapurashs and it can be done by self studying.But for some info I want to know that How should one get admission In Taksal ? Are there any restrictions or Basic Requirements ?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa..Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

I like to do Katha and Gurbani Discussion but I don't know how to start and be a decent Kathavachak.I haven't performed it anywhere and in genreal I do it to myself only when I am alone :P .I know there is alot to be learned before becoming a Kathavachak but what are the tips for starting off ?

​Bro, there is a Gurmat Vidyala (school) in Amritsar under Sant Baba Makhan Singh jee (head of DDT, Amritsar). It is free too. Please check it out.

http://bhaimanisingh.blogspot.ca/p/gurmat-vidyala.html

In current times, most likely, the greatest Sikh scholar is Sant Baba Mohan Singh jee Bhindrawale. So, going to DDT Bhindra would be great.

Even, Pandit Jagjit Singh jee Harkhowale is a great scholar. N30SINGH saab, do Baba jee take new students?

Other great scholars of the panth are Gyani Inderjit Singh jee Raqbewale, Pandit Mangal Singh jee, etc.

Keep Missionary colleges as your last option.

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Edited by paapiman

• 3 months later...

Just following up, hows that katha pursuing career going veer? I heard few years ago taksal was planning to open up schools of gurmat in english in india so some of the stuff can be translated and both singhs from west and east can train each other.

Really torch is in hands of sikh youths of today, there are plentiful of old textbooks which talks about deep layers of gurmat, time to bring out those. Unfortunately, there is less interest to study the vidya/apply it than is it learn basic stuff from gurmat to build rapport and be a katha vachik- get the foot in the door. You need lore more patience, contenment to become a kathavachik under guidance of mahapursh all the time.

I like how many solo parcharikhs just talk about outer stuff, skip through real essence of gurmat all together...how bloody convenient..do they really think sangat is that dense? 

• 10 months later...
Guest guest
On 29 May 2015 at 0:17 PM, N30 S!NGH said:

I believe it takes atleast 5-10 years of studying at taksal or nirmale , udasi, sevapanthi akhara. I used to have detailed circulum on names of text which needs to be mastered before becoming kathavachik..i will try to find it but it goes something like this:

Here are some of name of texts:- Rumi works (optional)

which taksal or akhara studies Rumi?  i thinks that's your personal preference

On 7/22/2016 at 7:20 PM, Guest guest said:

which taksal or akhara studies Rumi?  i thinks that's your personal preference

Not my personal reference. Lot of sevapanthis have read rumi works, even mainstream kathavachik like gyani pinderpal singh have read sufi/rumi literature. It's pretty well known in spiritual-adyatamic circle.

Guest guest
On 29 May 2015 at 0:17 PM, N30 S!NGH said:

'sevapanthis' is not the same as what you are refering to in your previous post (quoted above).  you are implying reading Rumi is a part of the above schools.

alot of ' sevapanthis ' might have read 'War and Peace' or 'Britney Spears- the official biography', that doesnt mean it is official or traditional learning material.

kind of sad that so many 'gianis' read Rumi or Vedanta for katha purposes, because that isnt what people go to Gurdwara to hear.  They go to hear Gurbani.  its not the same thing.

Ok well you are playing with semantics, putting words in my mouth. i know what i said you purposely ignore- key term - optional. I dont need your psychoanalysis on what i said, leave it up to readers. In the meantime, you can go take a hike, its beautiful day and feel kudrat rather than sitting as  sock jock arm chair quater back..!!

On 25/7/2016 at 6:16 PM, Guest guest said:

'sevapanthis' is not the same as what you are refering to in your previous post (quoted above).  you are implying reading Rumi is a part of the above schools.

alot of ' sevapanthis ' might have read 'War and Peace' or 'Britney Spears- the official biography', that doesnt mean it is official or traditional learning material.

kind of sad that so many 'gianis' read Rumi or Vedanta for katha purposes, because that isnt what people go to Gurdwara to hear.  They go to hear Gurbani.  its not the same thing.

The writings of Rumi has had a special place in the curriculum of the Sewa Panthis for the past 200 years since they translated the Masnavi  in the mid 1700s.

Edited by amardeep

Guest guest
5 hours ago, amardeep said:

for the past 200 years since they translated the Masnavi  in the mid 1700s.

more info please?

i have heard of the muslims translating masnavi into shah mukhi scipt in the 1700/1800s, but not sikhs.

Guest guest
6 hours ago, amardeep said:

The writings of Rumi has had a special place in the curriculum of the Sewa Panthis for the past 200 years since they translated the Masnavi  in the mid 1700s.

but not since the start of the sampradeya?

also- was it carried on since then or only recently restarted?

Guest guest

n30 you were right about sewapanthis reading Rumi, like Amardeep says, so apologies to you.  However not since inception, but by Bhai Addan (muslim name?)

learning alot about this sect that i didn't know until now, really interesting.  they do not have any own texts, (unlike Udhaasis), however they have translations of Muslim and Hindi texts in Hindi, in Gurbani script, mostly were based in North West Panjab (what a bizarre combination- must have been intentinal????)

great thread:

There is some debate as to whether it was translated by Bhai Adhan Shah (the third leader of the Sewa Panthi organisation) or by one of his students named Bhai Gharhu. In any case we are in the mid 1700s here.

The sewa panthis translated and studied loads of Sufi literature since they were primarily based in West Punjab (also across the Indus river) which had an almost 90% muslim population.They are fascinating indeed.