Amritvela

Paappi

Amrit Vela as I understand it is the time immediately before dawn, meaning that before sunrise would be more appropriate than midnight.  Myself I strive for 4-5ish am.

I also found this on Sikhiwiki (please dont attack me again for the site I copied from... I can't vouch for the validity of this but it makes sense to me):

Days & Nights as divided into 8 pehrs (3hr duration each)are..

Times are true within a deviation of say ~15min.

3am-6am 4th pehr of night 6am-9am 1st pehr of day 9am-12pm 2nd pehr of day 12pm-3pm 3rd pehr of day 3pm-6pm 4th pehr of day 6pm-9pm 1st pehr of night 9pm-12pm 2nd pehr of night 12pm-3am 3rd pehr of night

Best sleeping times are considered to be 2nd & 3rd pehrs of night ie. 9pm-3am (Total 6 hours)

Amrit Vela is usually ascribed to 4th pehr of night, ie. 3am-6am.

This also alludes to a sleep study I read once in a science journal, that our ancestors did not sleep a full night as we do, but slept in 'chunks' and woke up in the wee hours of the morning naturally when there was no alarm clock, hustle bustle of today's society and the need for strict schedules for careers etc.  People used to naturally wake around 4 am, and found this time was especially appropriate for reading and studying (by candlelight) as the calmness and quiet made it much easier for the mind to absorb what it had read.  So maybe this is also (unknowingly) a part of the reason... natural biological circadian rhythms.

Edit: Also, the optimum sleep cycle timing for humans is in 3 hour chunks... I encountered this as part of a sleep study in the military at sea. They found 3 hours was better than 4, 6 was better than 7 or 5 etc.  in order to wake in the correct place in the cycle and not during REM.  So it's kind of interesting to me, to see this description of 3 hour chunks explained in Sikhi! 

In the above description, I would say the actual time doesnt matter as much as waking at the right time for when you went to sleep... for example if you are a shift worker and went to sleep at 6 am, then 12 noon-3pm would be best time.  After analyzing the sleep study information and noticing this correlation...I think it might have more to do with REM and sleep cycles than being in the dark.  

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

What is the timming of amritvela?? Is it after mid night 12 or at 3:00 am??

Amrit vela - 12.30 am till Sunrise.

Srimaan Sant Baba Nand Singh jee Maharaaj Kaleranwale's Bachan below:

Once Babajee said that if one does paath after taking bath after 12.30 A.M.(Midnight) then it is as beneficial as giving away 11/4 Maund* (*Maund is a measurement, it is of 40 sears, one sear is about a kilogram) of gold in charity and if paath is done in the early hours then it is as beneficial as giving away 11/4 Maund of silver in charity and if it is done before sunrise then it is beneficial as much as giving away 11/4 Maund of copper in charity. If it is done after that still it is good and useful. Taking bath after the sunrise is just cleaning the body for one's own self.

Unquote [1]

[1] - Sri Nanaksar Stairs to God

11/4 Maund = 1.25 Maund

Bhul chuk maaf

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Edited by paapiman

Furthermore, Amrit vela can also be defined as anytime, when a person recites/listens to Satguru jee's praises in any form.

Amrit vela - when one sits in saadh sangat or in Gurudwara.

Amrit vela - when one does Nitnaym

Amrit vela - very young age - very less affect of vikars.

Amrit vela -   young age - as one's body is very strong - one can do a lot of bhagtee.

Amrit vela -  old age - less stress - very less responsibilities.

Bhul chuk maaf

Waheguru jee kaa Khalsa

Waheguru jee kee Fateh

Edited by paapiman

• 3 weeks later...

This also alludes to a sleep study I read once in a science journal, that our ancestors did not sleep a full night as we do, but slept in 'chunks' and woke up in the wee hours of the morning naturally when there was no alarm clock, hustle bustle of today's society and the need for strict schedules for careers etc.  People used to naturally wake around 4 am, and found this time was especially appropriate for reading and studying (by candlelight) as the calmness and quiet made it much easier for the mind to absorb what it had read.  So maybe this is also (unknowingly) a part of the reason... natural biological circadian rhythms.

Edit: Also, the optimum sleep cycle timing for humans is in 3 hour chunks... I encountered this as part of a sleep study in the military at sea. They found 3 hours was better than 4, 6 was better than 7 or 5 etc.  in order to wake in the correct place in the cycle and not during REM.  So it's kind of interesting to me, to see this description of 3 hour chunks explained in Sikhi! 

In the above description, I would say the actual time doesnt matter as much as waking at the right time for when you went to sleep... for example if you are a shift worker and went to sleep at 6 am, then 12 noon-3pm would be best time.  After analyzing the sleep study information and noticing this correlation...I think it might have more to do with REM and sleep cycles than being in the dark.  

​Good information.

Thanks

Gurbani tuks which mention about amrit vela are below. The keywords here are: ਝਾਲਾਘੇ ਪਿਛਲ ਰਾਤਿ ਚਉਥੈ ਪਹਰਿ ਪਰਭਾਤੇ ਭਲਕੇ  - if someone can provide more insights regarding these words, it would be great.

ਝਾਲਾਘੇ ਉਠਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਨਿਸਿ ਬਾਸੁਰ ਆਰਾਧਿ ॥

Rise early in the morning, and chant the Naam; worship and adore the Lord, night and day.

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਪਿਛਲ ਰਾਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਗਿਓਹਿ ਜੀਵਦੜੋ ਮੁਇਓਹਿ ॥

Fareed, if you do not awaken in the early hours before dawn, you are dead while yet alive.

ਚਉਥੈ ਪਹਰਿ ਸਬਾਹ ਕੈ ਸੁਰਤਿਆ ਉਪਜੈ ਚਾਉ ॥

In the fourth watch of the early morning hours, a longing arises in their higher consciousness.

next

ਪਿਛਹੁ ਰਾਤੀ ਸਦੜਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਖਸਮ ਕਾ ਲੇਹਿ ॥

Those who receive the call in the last hours of the night, chant the Name of their Lord and Master.

ਉਠਿ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰਹੁ ਪਰਭਾਤੇ ਸੋਏ ਹਰਿ ਆਰਾਧੇ ॥

Rise in the early hours of the morning, and take your cleansing bath. Before you go to bed at night, remember to worship the Lord.

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੈ ਵਤੈ ਕਾ ਬੀਜਿਆ ਭਗਤ ਖਾਇ ਖਰਚਿ ਰਹੇ ਨਿਖੁਟੈ ਨਾਹੀ ॥

The devotees of the Lord plant the seed of the Lord's wealth in the ambrosial hours of the Amrit Vaylaa; they eat it, and spend it, but it is never exhausted.

Bhul chuk maaf
Edited by paapiman

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

The benefit of doing Naam Simran at Amritvela (From Sri Dasam Granth Sahib)

ਪ੍ਰਭਾਤ ਉਠਿ ਤਾਸੁ ਕੋ ਮਹਾਤ ਨਾਮ ਲੀਜੀਐ ॥

We should get up early In the morning and remember His Name

ਅਸੰਖ ਦਾਨ ਦੇਹਿਗੋ ਦੁਰੰਤ ਸਤ੍ਰੁ ਘਾਇ ਹੈ ॥

Through this, many mighty enemies are killed and the charities of innumerable types are bestowed

Bhul chuk maaf