Why dharna instead of raag kirtan??

Paappi

Why sants fo kirtan in dharna form?? Instead of doing in exact raag as guru ji's hukam??

The dharna style of worship was started by a Sant. Sant Attar Singh i think. He saw the Christian missionaries using dharna as a simple but effective way of doing parchar and decided to use it himself. This is how the harmonium was introduced to the Sikh sangats.

It's not only sants that use it though.

• 2 weeks later...

The dharna style of worship was started by a Sant. Sant Attar Singh i think. He saw the Christian missionaries using dharna as a simple but effective way of doing parchar and decided to use it himself. This is how the harmonium was introduced to the Sikh sangats.

It's not only sants that use it though.

​Bro, can you please provide the sources?

Thanks.

​Do you mean that a shabad which is in Assa raag, should only be read in that particular raag?

Bhul chuk maaf

Yes

There must be a reason that each shabad was written in the raag that it is. Guru sahib musnt have just randomly assigned shabads to specific raags and in some cases even invented raags themselves.  

If guru sahib wrote specific raag in the sirlekh could there not be more importance to the raag in helping to understand the shabad then we give it? And if there is instructions in the sirlekh that this shabad is this raag then why change it?

Bhul chuk maaf ji

Yes

There must be a reason that each shabad was written in the raag that it is. Guru sahib musnt have just randomly assigned shabads to specific raags and in some cases even invented raags themselves.  

If guru sahib wrote specific raag in the sirlekh could there not be more importance to the raag in helping to understand the shabad then we give it? And if there is instructions in the sirlekh that this shabad is this raag then why change it?

Bhul chuk maaf ji

​Bro, you need to realize that Raag vidhya is not very easy to learn. Do you know of any source/reference which makes it mandatory for a Sikh, to sing shabads in raags only?

To acquire full benefit from a Shabad, the kirtan of that shabad must be done in raags.

Bhul chuk maaf

My only source is Guru Granth Sahib. I dont think theres much room for change when guru sahib prescribes a certain raag. Cuz I do find it interesting that there are some shabads that are written twice under different raags. Why would guru sahib do that? There has to be a reason for that. If guru sahib wanted us to sing these shabads any way we wanted why would they write those shabads twice in different raags, why not just once?

Raags dont have to be very difficult all the time, simple tunes like the popular satnam satnam satnam ji vaheguru vaheguru vaheguru ji tune is a great example of raag majh 

Bhul chuk maaf