Can't do Japji Sahib properly

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh 

Its been nearly 1 and half years since im doing Japji Sahib and it takes me around about an hour to read Japji Sahib.

I finding it very difficult to do Japji Sahib, I read the romanised version, I worry about my pronunciation a lot and don't find a peace from reading Japji Sahib. I feel like im doing bad if I think I have pronounced a word wrong. 

I don't know what to do, Its harder for me to learn other banis as my head hurts after reading Japji Sahib a bit and It puts me off doing any further path in one sitting. 

I used to listen/read Panj Bania but it go way too much for me. 

If the Sangat can help me, I would be grateful. 

Bul Chuk Maaf Karna 

Can you speak Panjabi?

I used Giani Thakur Singhs 16 odd minute recital for a while to get pronunciation down. I still usually listen to them when I don't read. 

Honestly though, because Gurmukhi is a very precise script, it really helps your pronunciation to learn to read it because most symbols can only be uttered in one particular way. 

Here is a link to some tips on learning Gurmukhi (in case you want to pursue):

In meanwhile listen to Giani Thakur Singh's slow recital and read along with your pothi. 

Gurmukhi is a very precise script

There's bits that are not so precise.

ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾ ਮਨਿ ਵਾਧਾਈਆ ਜਿਨ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਡਿਠਾ ਰਾਮ ਰਾਜੇ ॥
This is pronounced.
Gursikha(n) man(i) vadhaeeia(n) ...
ਗੁਰਸਿੱਖਾਂ ਮਨਿ ਵਾਧਾਈਆਂ...

That's the first tuk that came to mind.
In Jap ji

ਭੁਖਿਆ ਭੁਖ ਨ ਉਤਰੀ ਜੇ ਬੰਨਾ ਪੁਰੀਆ ਭਾਰ ॥
Ths is pronounced
bhukhiya(n) bhukh n utri je banha(n) pureeaa(n) bhar
ਭੁੱਖਿਆਂ ਭੁੱਖ ਨ ਉਤਰੀ ਜੇ ਬੰਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਪੁਰੀਆਂ ਭਾਰ

ਗਾਵੈ ਕੋ ਦਾਤਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਨੀਸਾਣੁ ॥
This is pronounced
... nishann.
... ਨੀਸ਼ਾਣ |

ਗਾਵੈ ਕੋ ਗੁਣ ਵਡਿਆਈਆ ਚਾਰ ॥
This pronounced
... vaddayaiya(n)...
...ਵੱਡਿਆਈਆਂ...

Definitely listening to a native speaker reading it, will help a lot.

Edited by BhagatSingh

Can you speak Panjabi?

I used Giani Thakur Singhs 16 odd minute recital for a while to get pronunciation down. I still usually listen to them when I don't read. 

Honestly though, because Gurmukhi is a very precise script, it really helps your pronunciation to learn to read it because most symbols can only be uttered in one particular way. 

Here is a link to some tips on learning Gurmukhi (in case you want to pursue):

In meanwhile listen to Giani Thakur Singh's slow recital and read along with your pothi. 

​Thanks for the advice will try to start learning hopefully by next week. 

I have Giani Thakur Singh Ji slow version downloaded will start learning from that. 

There's bits that are not so precise.

I know, but it is still helluva lot consistent than my first language English.

​Thanks for the advice will try to start learning hopefully by next week. 

I have Giani Thakur Singh Ji slow version downloaded will start learning from that. 

​Good to hear!

I think people are very lucky these days with the plethora of online material/support they can use to help them. 

Keep consistent, seek advice when required (like you have) and you'll get there in no time! 

I think english too was accurate at some point but later became "corrupted" if you will. It happens to all languages. It happened to indian languages as well.

This is why brahmins back then were keen on preserving sanskrit. They only taught it to those who would take the time to master pronunciation, etc, and maintain the language and thus the meanings to the written scriptures. Not an easy task - to preserve language.

I think english too was accurate at some point but later became "corrupted" if you will. It happens to all languages. It happened to indian languages as well.

Cheese and chalk mate.

English people never developed their own script, they 'borrowed' the Roman one. At least Indic languages use scripts specially developed for the phonemes in the language.

Then they (English)  started to adopt other European words, whilst retaining the spelling from the original culture - which often do have a more consistent grapheme to phoneme mapping in their language systems (although these are often quite different to English). So a bunch of differing languages got mushed together. 

A good example is the French word 'trait', pronounced with a silent 't' in France, but when the word got transferred into English, they started to pronounce that final t. 

Anyway, enough of this, it ain't helping the brother learn Japji!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh 

Its been nearly 1 and half years since im doing Japji Sahib and it takes me around about an hour to read Japji Sahib.

I finding it very difficult to do Japji Sahib, I read the romanised version, I worry about my pronunciation a lot and don't find a peace from reading Japji Sahib. I feel like im doing bad if I think I have pronounced a word wrong. 

I don't know what to do, Its harder for me to learn other banis as my head hurts after reading Japji Sahib a bit and It puts me off doing any further path in one sitting. 

I used to listen/read Panj Bania but it go way too much for me. 

If the Sangat can help me, I would be grateful. 

Bul Chuk Maaf Karna 

​Bro, why don't you just listen to the Panj Bania? You can listen to Bhai Jarnail Singh jee. He is not too fast nor too slow. He does the whole Nitnaym is less then one hour. It is better to listen to Gurbani, if one does not have Shudh ucharan (correct pronunciation).

You can do simran of Waheguru mantar or Jaap of Mool mantar, for recitation purposes.

Bhul chuk maaf

​Good to hear!

I think people are very lucky these days with the plethora of online material/support they can use to help them. 

Keep consistent, seek advice when required (like you have) and you'll get there in no time! 

​Thanks for the advice Veer Ji. 

I feel guilty if I don't do Japji Sahib, and to tell the truth I feel like something bad might happen for some reason 

​Thanks for the advice Veer Ji. 

I feel guilty if I don't do Japji Sahib, and to tell the truth I feel like something bad might happen for some reason 

​Don't go into it with that mindset.

Think of positive things happening instead (or at least neutral!).  

Guest Orochimaru

Best thing to do is get the recording of bhagat jaswant singh and learn the sounds and letters of gurbani , then ull be able to read gurmukhi ,gursevak.com

Best thing to do is get the recording of bhagat jaswant singh and learn the sounds and letters of gurbani , then ull be able to read gurmukhi ,gursevak.com

​Jaswant Singh jee probably has the best gurbani ucharan (pronunciation), in the world right now.

Bhul chuk maaf

​Jaswant Singh jee probably has the best gurbani ucharan (pronunciation), in the world right now.

Bhul chuk maaf

​Where can I download Nitnem audio by Bhagat Jaswant Singh Ji? 

I downloaded a zip file from Gursevak. 

How do I make best use of these recordings to I just listen to them ?

Edited by *singh*
update

​Where can I download Nitnem audio by Bhagat Jaswant Singh Ji? 

I downloaded a zip file from Gursevak. 

How do I make best use of these recordings to I just listen to them ?

​Bro, try to get santhiya from some Gurmukh. Where do you live? Canada?

Bhul chuk maaf

OP

I just realised, it may not be the best idea to get started with learning pronouncing Gurmukhi letters with Japji because a lot of Gurbani uses unspoken (silent) vowel signs that could confuse you (they used to be used to denote various grammar in older Panjabi but the conventions are not used in modern Panjabi).

Stick to simple stuff like kids stories, or bani like Jaap Sahib (which generally doesn't use those silent grammar symbols) to help nail the sound-to-symbol connection first maybe?

Edited by dalsingh101

​Bro, try to get santhiya from some Gurmukh. Where do you live? Canada?

Bhul chuk maaf

​I live in London. 

OP

I just realised, it may not be the best idea to get started with learning pronouncing Gurmukhi letters with Japji because a lot of Gurbani uses unspoken (silent) vowel signs that could confuse you (they used to be used to denote various grammar in older Panjabi but the conventions are not used in modern Panjabi).

Stick to simple stuff like kids stories, or bani like Jaap Sahib (which generally doesn't use those silent grammar symbols) to help nail the sound-to-symbol connection first maybe?

​When I start learning Gurmukhi i will start with Jaap Sahib. 

​I live in London. ​

Bro, I would recommend you search for a Gurmukh (preferably a Taksaali) and get santheya. I would personally not recommend, Jaswant singh jee as he is very high level.

When you do santheya with a ustaad, your confidence will build, if your ucharan is good. But, if you do it on our own, then you might stay in doubt, even if you do it right.

Bhul chuk maaf 

Bro, I would recommend you search for a Gurmukh (preferably a Taksaali) and get santheya. I would personally not recommend, Jaswant singh jee as he is very high level.

When you do santheya with a ustaad, your confidence will build, if your ucharan is good. But, if you do it on our own, then you might stay in doubt, even if you do it right.

Bhul chuk maaf 

​Done a quick search, theres many in my area. 

Me doubting myself happens a lot. 

Thanks for the advice 

the nitnem or any audio file on gursevak.com is read slow.. its so slow that u have time in between words to repeat.

step1. listen and read baalupdesh instead of nitnem. that will teach u muharni ( practice for pronunciation of each letter with lagmaatras)

then move on to nitnem. if u need contact number of bhagat ji (jaswant singh ji) please feel free to message me and u can talk to him directly.. he will be more happy to help u.

or give me ure number and he will call u.

hope to talk to u soon !! 

the nitnem or any audio file on gursevak.com is read slow.. its so slow that u have time in between words to repeat.

step1. listen and read baalupdesh instead of nitnem. that will teach u muharni ( practice for pronunciation of each letter with lagmaatras)

then move on to nitnem. if u need contact number of bhagat ji (jaswant singh ji) please feel free to message me and u can talk to him directly.. he will be more happy to help u.

or give me ure number and he will call u.

hope to talk to u soon !! 

​Thank you for your reply!

I don't understand what baalupdesh or muharni or lagmaatras mean. Sorry