Bald Patch Forming Under Beard (Alopecia)

Sat1176

Thanks for the suggestion Bhagat. My dhari isn't long to pull it back up. Plus its missing from underneath too. I know the hair pins have caused the damage underneath but I wasn't to bothered about what was going on below. Think I will try the rubber bands.

Also got the beard brand oils suggested by Lucky. The Tree Range softener is a combination of about 20 oils. But it is more of a conditioner to be applied on the beard after washing and then rinsed off. Does leave the beard feeling soft for a while but by the morning I found mine back to its dry frizzy state. Does sting a bit if you didn't wash it off properly. TeeTree oil doesn't suit my skin, but will continue to use it a few times a week.

Also got an opinion from my Chacha who is a GP. Thought he would understand better than my normal GP. This was his medical opinion.

Hair loss may be secondary to dietary deficiency, a pyrexial illness or some skin conditions.

The 1st step is some routine blood testing: ESR, Full Blood Count, Liver Function tests, Thyroid function, Blood sugar and Haemotinics ( Ferritin, Vit b12, folate ).

If these are normal and there is no recent history of being ill, you should consult a dermatologist.

Regaine is assoc with hair loss on discontinuation with therapy.

Also managed to get hold of some fresh aloe veera and nim powder as suggested by Jaikaara. Will give that a shot over the weekend too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fellow Alopecia Sufferer

Hi,

I have suffered with alopecia for many years and have found that its just one of them things that you have to let be. I have tried various oils and other treatments which havent worked, the hair normally grows back in its own due course. The doctors just tell me that its due to stress

I can understand that it must be frustrating, I am not fully keshdari myself but I am soon planning to keep it and am conscious about my alopecia and the whole phase of keeping my hair

My advise would be to lower stress levels and you will see your hair coming back (easier said than done, believe me I know!)

Hope this has been helpful brother

• 3 weeks later...

Update

Finally got round to seeing my GP about my beard issue which is getting worse. The patch is much larger now. He didn't seem too bothered but did say the skin under the chin didn't look too healthy and was slightly spotty.  That is probably due to slight tension of tucking it in and fixing with pins. Anyway he gave me some steroid based cream to apply to the region and at my instance I managed to get some blood tests done just to rule out diabetes and check for any other deficiencies.

Will know more in a couple of weeks when results are back.

Edited by Sat1176

• 3 years later...

I have the same problem with my beard hairs. After i discovered the bald patch in my beard i went to dermatologist and she told me its called Traction allopecia. it happens due to beard pulling with tying it too tightly.

she adviced me to use minoxidil for 8-9 months twice a day. been using it from last 1 month now. and i can see some improvement.

and to prevent it more further. i started tying my beard loosely and made my beard curls. by this for atleast 2 months there is no need to tie the beard. open it or tie it. its very comfortable. 

• 4 years later...