Wedding between Sikh bride and non-Sikh groom stopped by 'thugs' at London temple

dalsingh101

The so-called SRM has not been accepted by the Panth and has other problems too.

By definition, a person cannot call himself a Sikh, until he/she gets Baptized. This is according to Gurbani and Gurbani is above, this so-called SRM document.

If a Gurudwara allows marriage of Niguray/Patits (Non-Baptized/Outcasts), then the Gurudwara should have no problems in allowing an inter-faith marriage. Hypocrisy is a big sin in Sikhism.

Bhul chuk maaf

You mean instead that the so called GRM has not been accepted by the Panth.  

Case in point - from the above link:
"With the grace of guru maharaj ji a unanimous decision was made at the meeting of all the gurdwaras and Sikh council which was held at the southall gurdwara today, that there will be no more interfaith marriages at our gurdwaras anywhere in UK. At last leaders of our Kaum have come to their senses and a great victory for our brothers and sisters who have been campaigning about this around the country. 

ALL GURDWARA COMITIES WILL HAVE TO FOLLOW SIKH RAHAT MARYADA BY THE AKAL TAKHT. 

http://www.gurmat.info/sms/smspublications/sikhrehatmaryada.pdf"

Obviously all of the UK accepts SRM and not GRM.  Otherwise they would have said in the above link, that all of the UK Gurdwaras would have to follow Damdami Taksal's Rehet Maryada. They did not... they specifically said ALL UK COMMITTEES will have to follow the Sikh Rehet Maryada by the Akal Takht.  More of the Panth accept SRM then GRM.  

But personally speaking, I do think it should be two Amritdhari to be married by Anand Karaj.  I think otherwise they can still do kirtan and ardaas but just not the lavaans. 

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur

On a same token for argument one can equally argue-  kesh is also integral part of starting stage as in adapting dharam mentioned in 1st lavan from sikh religious-spiritual traditions point of view, so giving a pass to one group- punjabi sikh monaie at anand karaj(as they literally go to barbar shop same day to do beadhi of kesh same day) while totally banning other side interfaith seems totally inconsistent, bit of hypocrisy. Interfaith couple have something in common with sri guru granth sahib ji universal teaching, especially in a universal sense- satguru nanak nirgun saroop is pure consciouness(true -sat- guru- chaitana-consciouness) common share nirgun Guru of all, so from that sense - anand karaj discourse connects to all with exception of atheist as they are not even open to idea of high power or receptive towards higher power.

I still believe this move is a short sighted. Correct me if i am wrong panth parchariks such as - gyani pinderpal singh ji and gyani kulvant singh would be totally against protesters crashing wedding-runing someone wedding day/protesting at the day and would rather take bit neutral parchar type approach. They would rather pursue this issue by doing parchar, push for 1 hr seminar of anand karaj- katha of anand karaj at the day of wedding instead so updesh of anand karaj deeply resonates with couples instead. Most parcharikh do their part of parchar and leave the output results to mysterious power of shabad guru/satguru and let it draw seekers in in whichever mysterious way it pleases but what these protesters are doing are enforcing banning, crashing expecting output results/ coming in between couples and mysterious power of shabad guru. They have misinterperted anand karaj as affirmation type of ceremony rather than spiritual discourse if we look deeply at the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th lavan, its life long discourse needs to be contemplated on, followed through which naturally resonates with people at different stages in life, this cannot be accomplished by enforcement policies such as declaration, affirmation, christian type of vows/commitment etc pushed by protesters. I beleive protesters making a fundamental mistake by turning spiritual discourse such as anand karaj into amrit sanchar ceremony as they are not meant to same one is discourse and other is absolute sacrifice - affirmation/declaration, anand karaj prepares for amrit sanchar, also by making it same they are making sikh dharam as more exclusive 

Edited by N30 S!NGH

I think it's much more complex than that. I am hoping to interview gyani kulvant singh Ji on this if he comes in town or sant hari singh ji hoping to get little deeper adyatamic perspective on this. 

I think also people need to factor in the ground level situation specifically in the UK. 

We have a lot of problems here like grooming, conversions, coconutisation etc. Get it in your heads that we are a minority amongst many strong communities here, including the Eglish who are world famous for their devious manipulative streak. In that context, I can fully understand the moves made to try and avoid pretty much 'giving away' people of Sikh descent to bolster other communities numbers. Yes, I know it's not exactly a spiritual perspective but numbers DO count in some ways. 

Yes, I realise that Gurdwaray can't solve all of the root causes of these problems, but they can at least try not to be complicit in the rot. I realise that the problem  involves a complex of factors including family upbringing, personal inclinations, wider societal pressure etc. But we have to chip away at these as a community one by one. In the meanwhile, the fact that Gurdwaray are making a stand is a positive sign. 

We have to get our own house in order or else we'll melt away here within a few generations - which is exactly what a lot of people want to happen to us. 

The Telegraph gets its two cents in:

Notice the use of the term 'religious militants'. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11836456/Religious-militants-force-mixed-faith-couples-to-abandon-wedding-ceremonies.html

• 1 year later...
On 2015-8-15 at 10:52 PM, Guest said:

Stop pandering to non sikhs by reciting the bani in the kirtan form.  They should not be there in the gurdwara if they have no wish to learn and follow the teachings of the Guru.  They should not be allowed to make a mockery of the Guru.  Sikh religion is not same as christian religion where one hopes that a non christian person will see the light and embrace jesus some day. 

Seriously? 

Should we brick up the three of the four doors into Harmandir Sahib.? 

On 2015-8-27 at 3:31 AM, Xylitol said:

So many arguments can be summed up by this...golden temple 4 doors.jpg

Just one rule actually. 

That everyone is welcome. Full stop. Guru sahib welcomes All. 

We don't need self appointed bouncers on the door..  "If your names not Singh your not coming in".. It's not a golf club with a members charter, It's guru sahibs Darbar, which anyone who will take Darshan is welcome. (humility which  amongst sangat with four doors to welcome everyone... 

Exactly, all are welcome. However, people are not welcome to try to change the dharam that the Guru ji's started, or the practices which they expected Sikhs to follow. 

Nobody ever said  "If your names not Singh your not coming in".