Mehma Parkash on the role of the Poets

chatanga1

Dont go for discount. Pay them whatever they ask. It's good to support these book shops by paying full price. They are not expensive for us westeners anyway.

Also have a talk with the owners of the book shops of Amritsar around the Golden Temple.. The history of the book shops is very fascinating - one of them has been existing for some 140 years and has been running as a family book shop for many generations. I had a very profound conversation one late evening outside the Golden Temple with one of the book shop owners. He talked about 84 and what happened (he was at work in the book shop at the time) as well as giving examples of how you can "trace" lineages back to Guru Gobind Singh through only 4 chains. He was an older man - for him 100 years "was nothing".. a very interesting baba ji... Dont be cheap - support them!

Dont go for discount. Pay them whatever they ask. It's good to support these book shops by paying full price. They are not expensive for us westeners anyway.

Dont be cheap - support them!

Amardeep, Singhbrothers apply discount themselves. On the few times I have been there, I spent thousands on books, and they have always given a discount without me asking or them offering. Whereas New India Book store in Jalandhar take full book price. Whenever I go India, I always go Singh brothers first, then CSJS, then give New India a try.

Maybe peeps could choose a smaller interesting extract for us to work on (instead of the whole thing!)?

What about translating the Garab Ganjani Teeka? The language is somewhat simple prose and the book is not that bulky. A translation of that book would give great insights into the early 19th century Sikh understanding of Sri Japji Sahib.

Isn't that in Hindi?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/11/2015, 23:39:16, Singh123456777 said:

Does singh brothers also have really rare granths?

I haven't asked, so don't know.

However some of the books on the list I sent them, they told me were out of print, and that they weren't able to procure them.

If you go there ask, but if it's possible that you already have a list in mind, email them and see what they can/can't get for you. Then try the CSJS next door, or the internet book sites.

I have to say that I have picked up some great bargains over the net from bookshops in india.