Nihangs and Fish

Do Nihangs eat fish? If yes, can someone please describe, how do they kill them?

Any historical references, indicating Singhs eating fish during tough times?

Thanks a lot

Gurbani  Verdict:

ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ ॥

Kabeer, those mortals who consume marijuana/chicken, fish and wine

ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਨੇਮ ਕੀਏ ਤੇ ਸਭੈ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਜਾਂਹਿ ॥੨੩੩

- no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||233||

Bhul chuk maaf

From what a Nihang Singh told me any fish can be consumed regardles of they can't be jhatka'ed.

Bro, did you find any historical evidence? Any sakhi? 

Eating fish is clearly prohibited in Gurbani and it seems difficult to kill them, using Chatka maryada.

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

Bro, did you find any historical evidence? Any sakhi? 

There is a whole section in Prem Sumarag about what the best fish to eat are.

I'm really astonished at such things like eating meat,then eating eggs (proving the fact with the help of certain theories),nd then eating fish too??

I dont think if it's the real sikhism or real khalsa??

Some people have really changed the definition!!

I dont think if it represents real NiHangs!!

Dasam patsahii was himself an Akali Nihang!!

But Now real meaning of Nihang is just modified!!

No this is not the real khalsa!!

Power of Gurbani,Other martial skills are quite enough to win any battle..

To eat such things/one's life to say that"it's important to do so in order to win a war"".

I mean what's  that??

Sorry it may hurt one's personal views,but these things are really out of my mind 

This is not right!!

Love to see the contents, have screenshot handy or page number, will look it up..sounds interesting.

McLeod's translation:

prem sumarag extract.pdf

Interesting bit:

'Anyone who is not particularly fond of eating fish should nevertheless do so occasionally.'

Can anyone direct us to the original Gurmukhi text in Bhai Randhir Singh's book? I used to have an ebook of it but have lost it on another laptop.

Edited by dalsingh101

Can anyone direct us to the original Gurmukhi text in Bhai Randhir Singh's book? I used to have an ebook of it but have lost it on another laptop.

I think I found It, see attachment: 

prem sumarag panj org.jpg

ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ ॥

Kabeer, those mortals who consume marijuana, fish and wine

- no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||233||

Edited by paapiman

I'm really astonished at such things like eating meat,then eating eggs (proving the fact with the help of certain theories),nd then eating fish too??

I dont think if it's the real sikhism or real khalsa??

Some people have really changed the definition!!

I dont think if it represents real NiHangs!!

Dasam patsahii was himself an Akali Nihang!!

But Now real meaning of Nihang is just modified!!

No this is not the real khalsa!!

Power of Gurbani,Other martial skills are quite enough to win any battle..

To eat such things/one's life to say that"it's important to do so in order to win a war"".

I mean what's  that??

Sorry it may hurt one's personal views,but these things are really out of my mind 

This is not right!!

penji, jhatka has happened for a long time just because it doesn't suit your views doesn't mean its wrong. 

Crystal

penji, jhatka has happened for a long time just because it doesn't suit your views doesn't mean its wrong. 

Crystal

Bro, Chatka is the maryada made by God. No Sikh should ever question that, but we also need to understand the purpose behind it. We cannot justify meat eating, by using Chatka maryada as an excuse.

Bhul chuk maaf

You can't halal slaugther a fish either so all fish becomes halal per definition.

Yeah, I noticed from young when Muslims had to eat on school trips they would choose fish to comply with their religion. 

Do Nihangs eat fish? If yes, can someone please describe, how do they kill them?

Any historical references, indicating Singhs eating fish during tough times?

Thanks a lot

Bhul chuk maaf

Of what i have heard many Nihangs shoot fish with bow and arrow right through the head leading to instantaneous death ..those who are capable of doing this avoid buying from the market..see there is a lot which is very strict about their diet which will in no case want to buy anything commercially slaughtered.

I wanted to follow this too however my plans to get a house  constructed were postponed, i had planned a small pond wherein i would breed fish.

Of what i have heard many Nihangs shoot fish with bow and arrow right through the head leading to instantaneous death .

This makes sense, but one would need to be a really good archer to achieve this feat. Thanks for the info paaji.

.those who are capable of doing this avoid buying from the market..see there is a lot which is very strict about their diet which will in no case want to buy anything commercially slaughtered.

According to maryada, commercial slaughtered meat is prohibited for a Sikh.

Bhul chuk maaf

• 4 weeks later...

ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ ॥

Kabeer, those mortals who consume marijuana, fish and wine

The key to this is in the second line which you have posted and gives the context for the first line. In fact, it's actually an incomplete sentence in the first line....

Those mortals who consume marijuana, fish, and wine (speaking of useless rituals); no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals (the qualifier referring to the previous line) they follow, they will all go to hell (obviously not literal hell, as all that exists is the ONE, but Hell for Sikhs is to be separated from God, so it's saying these things won't help you to become One with God.)

In other words, the Gurus admonished blind rituals and taught that they were useless in our pursuit of merging with Waheguru.  There were many ritualistic practices involving mind alerting substances like marijuana (bhang), opium, and wine (alcohol) - and yes even fish in India...  It is the useless ritual which is being scorned in the above...it's saying all these fake blind useless rituals will get you nowhere.

Example of a Ritual Fish:
417104606_124b3fc255.jpg

We can see further down in the same shabad that it was no the act of eating fish or meat which is being scorned but the ritualistic behaviour... when it's stated that the Brahmins may be the Gurus of the physical world, but they still 'rot and die' in the useless complexities of the rituals in which they partook, but still no closer to God:

ਕਬੀਰ ਬਾਮਨੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਜਗਤ ਕਾ ਭਗਤਨ ਕਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥
Kabīr bāman gurū hai jagaṯ kā bẖagṯan kā gur nāhi.
Kabeer, the Brahmin may be the guru of the world, but he is not the Guru of the devotees. 
ਅਰਝਿ ਉਰਝਿ ਕੈ ਪਚਿ ਮੂਆ ਚਾਰਉ ਬੇਦਹੁ ਮਾਹਿ ॥੨੩੭॥
Arajẖ urajẖ kai pacẖ mū▫ā cẖāra▫o beḏahu māhi. ||237||
He rots and dies in the perplexities of the four Vedas. ||237||

And finally again in the same shabad, Kabeer qualifes it all by saying that God is not foind through useless rituals etc. because God is within everyone and everything... in every grain of sand, and states there is no difference between himself and God:

ਸੁਨੁ ਸਖੀ ਪੀਅ ਮਹਿ ਜੀਉ ਬਸੈ ਜੀਅ ਮਹਿ ਬਸੈ ਕਿ ਪੀਉ ॥ सुनु सखी पीअ महि जीउ बसै जीअ महि बसै कि पीउ ॥ Sun sakẖī pī▫a mėh jī▫o basai jī▫a mėh basai kė pī▫o. Listen, O my companions: my soul dwells in my Beloved, and my Beloved dwells in my soul. 
ਜੀਉ ਪੀਉ ਬੂਝਉ ਨਹੀ ਘਟ ਮਹਿ ਜੀਉ ਕਿ ਪੀਉ ॥੨੩੬॥ जीउ पीउ बूझउ नही घट महि जीउ कि पीउ ॥२३६॥ Jī▫o pī▫o būjẖa▫o nahī gẖat mėh jī▫o kė pī▫o. ||236|| I realize that there is no difference between my soul and my Beloved; I cannot tell whether my soul or my Beloved dwells in my heart. ||236||

ਹਰਿ ਹੈ ਖਾਂਡੁ ਰੇਤੁ ਮਹਿ ਬਿਖਰੀ ਹਾਥੀ ਚੁਨੀ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥
Har hai kẖāʼnd reṯ mėh bikẖrī hāthī cẖunī na jā▫e.
The Lord is like sugar, scattered in the sand; the elephant cannot pick it up.  (permeates everything)

ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਗੁਰਿ ਭਲੀ ਬੁਝਾਈ ਕੀਟੀ ਹੋਇ ਕੈ ਖਾਇ ॥੨੩੮॥
Kahi Kabīr gur bẖalī bujẖā▫ī kītī ho▫e kai kẖā▫e. ||238||
Says Kabeer, the Guru has given me this sublime understanding: become an ant, and feed on it. ||238||

So we can easily see this shabad is not saying anything about the act of eating meat or fish for sustenence.  It's speaking about useless rituals / pilgrimages / fasts etc as a means to find God, saying all these methods are fruitless when God is in everything and even yourself.  Don't worry about outward shows (rituals), instead focus within your own self, where God is merged like sugar in the sand... immerse yourself in the creation and God by realizing that God is everywhere.  The elephant can't see it because he is separate from the sand... instead if we become like the ant and immerse ourselves within the sand then we will realize we are surrounded by Waheguru.

Edited by Satkirin_Kaur