another thing that occured to me was that if Bhai Desa Singh is the son of Shaheed Bhai Mani Singh Ji, there is remote chance this rehatnama could be written too late in the century. Bhai Mani Singh was born around 1660 and became shaheed in 1734. If as was suggested in another topic this rehatnama was after 1780s that would make Bhai Desa Singh possibly around 100 years old when he wrote it, or he was born very late to Bhai Mani Singh. Not saying it can't happen but seems very very unlikely.

I would guess the Bhai Desa Singh is more likely to have been written in the 1730s-1750s. Not the early 1700s.

I'm thinking possibly even earlier than this, based on Bhai Mani Singh's age marriage and likely time of children, but certainly no later.

Edited by chatanga1

Does the rehat author claim to be Bhai Mani Singh's son in the work anywhere? Or is it another one of those 'facts'. 

Does the rehat author claim to be Bhai Mani Singh's son in the work anywhere? Or is it another one of those 'facts'. 

Nope. All he says about himself is that his name is Desa Singh, he is a follower of Guru Gobind Singh and that he spend time at the Morali Bunga and travelling Eastern India.

In the bhatt vahis the youngest son of Bhai Mani Singh is given as Bhai Desa Singh

Are there any early references to Bunge around Harimandir Sahib? Apart from this rahitnama, the only time i've seen this word in Sikh writings is in the alleged letter written by Bhai Mani Singh to Mata Sahib Devi regarding the Dasam Granth. The word bunga is used therein, but the authencity of that letter is disputed.

Nope. All he says about himself is that his name is Desa Singh, he is a follower of Guru Gobind Singh and that he spend time at the Morali Bunga and travelling Eastern India.

In the bhatt vahis the youngest son of Bhai Mani Singh is given as Bhai Desa Singh

Okay, I think it is a BIG stretch to assume this Desa Singh is Bhai Mani Singh's son. 

More than one person can have the same name you know..... lol

Of course you can't rule it out, just as there are 3 known Mani Singhs at one point in history. But I haven't heard of any other prominent Desa Singh around the same time, so on the probability of it, unless we can identify any other Desa Singhs from the same time period, I would still see this Desa Singh as one and the same.

Anyone know of any other Desa Singhs from the same time period?

Amardeep does the Bhatt Vahis give any other info about this Desa Singh other than his father's name?

Of course you can't rule it out, just as there are 3 known Mani Singhs at one point in history. But I haven't heard of any other prominent Desa Singh around the same time, so on the probability of it, unless we can identify any other Desa Singhs from the same time period, I would still see this Desa Singh as one and the same.

Anyone know of any other Desa Singhs from the same time period?

Amardeep does the Bhatt Vahis give any other info about this Desa Singh other than his father's name?

Are you serious Chatanga??

Why do you have to tie it to a prominent Desa Singh? What sort of logic is that?

It could as easily be another Desa Singh.

That's another thing that I think ruins Sikh historical research. This obsession with linking names to  prominent people. So anything early written by say a Daya Singh would have to be linked to the panj piara with that name automatically. Then when it becomes obvious  that it isn't that early a source we have to claim it is a later forgery trying to use a connection to a well known figure. 

What you should try is reading and analysing the text with minimal preconceptions and agenda and seeing what it suggests afterwards. 

I think sometimes we blindly take on a clearly tentative or tenuous point made by a previous scholar and because of this, we start doing all sorts of acrobatics with trying to explain a text.

You guys know I have respect for the old school scholars, but they aren't above getting things wrong. No one is.  

Are you serious Chatanga??

Why do you have to tie it to a prominent Desa Singh? What sort of logic is that?

It could as easily be another Desa Singh.

That's another thing that I think ruins Sikh historical research. This obsession with linking names to  prominent people. So anything early written by say a Daya Singh would have to be linked to the panj piara with that name automatically. Then when it becomes obvious  that it isn't that early a source we have to claim it is a later forgery trying to use a connection to a well known figure. 

Yes as I said earlier, there is always the possibiltiy of another it being another Desa Singh. Maybe the word prominent was the wrong word to use, what I meant from it was a "known" Desa Singh. From my reading of history in this century no other Desa Singh comes up.

Have you read the whole rehatnama yet Dally?

Edited by chatanga1

Yes as I said earlier, there is always the possibiltiy of another it being another Desa Singh. Maybe the word prominent was the wrong word to use, what I meant from it was a "known" Desa Singh. From my reading of history in this century no other Desa Singh comes up.

Have you read the whole rehatnama yet Dally?

I read a translation of it and have dipped in and out of the original text But that was a good few years back.. My Panjabi aint that good yet for me to straight read it. 

Anyway, like I said, if you are reading it, try approaching it with the mindset that it is written by somebody called Desa Singh, take all presumptions of who this might be out of the equation and see what you discover. 

Trust me, it's the best way.

Edited by dalsingh101

The main text features the name "Nand Lal" several times, and it gives me the impression that Desa Singh portrays himself to be a witness to the "Prasan-Uttar" between Nand Lal and Guru Ji.  Desa Singh states that Nand Lal asked the questions (prasan kara Nand Lal), and then gives Guru Sahibs response. In places it is quite similiar to Bhai Nand Lal's rehatnama.i.e. several sentences beginning with "rehat bina".

As a "yatra to Sri Hazur Sahib" and "Guru Granth Sahib" are mentioned this writing must definitely have taken place after 1708, but there doesn't seem to be many other clues to further date it.

Now unless Desa Singh had Bhai Nand Lals rehatnama to hand, maybe its plausible that he was a witness to the conversation? And wrote it sometime in the years that Amritsar knew peace? The only time that immediately comes to mind is when "Nawabgi" was offered to the Sikhs (1730s). If I'm correct there were something like 6 years of peace before hostilities broke out again.

The main text features the name "Nand Lal" several times, and it gives me the impression that Desa Singh portrays himself to be a witness to the "Prasan-Uttar" between Nand Lal and Guru Ji.  Desa Singh states that Nand Lal asked the questions (prasan kara Nand Lal), and then gives Guru Sahibs response. In places it is quite similiar to Bhai Nand Lal's rehatnama.i.e. several sentences beginning with "rehat bina".

As a "yatra to Sri Hazur Sahib" and "Guru Granth Sahib" are mentioned this writing must definitely have taken place after 1708, but there doesn't seem to be many other clues to further date it.

Now unless Desa Singh had Bhai Nand Lals rehatnama to hand, maybe its plausible that he was a witness to the conversation? And wrote it sometime in the years that Amritsar knew peace? The only time that immediately comes to mind is when "Nawabgi" was offered to the Sikhs (1730s). If I'm correct there were something like 6 years of peace before hostilities broke out again.

If I recall rightly McLeod translated it, and their was a much older (partial) translation by Trilochan Singh. 

Okay, but it still feels like you trying to force an early 1700s date on it.

Forget dates and try and see what the text reveals. The issue of dating should come  after analysing the text (maybe even a couple of times!) in my opinion.  Instead of using one clue, you should use the information more holistically. 

Your point about Bhai Nand Lal and the way it seems to present that discussion is interesting. Yes, he could be a witness but he could as easily (if not more easily) be using a copy of Bhai Nand Lal's rehat when writing. 

If you find any early references to bunge let me know. Ie were there bunge prior to the misl period.

Probably a long shot, but the name "morali" is Sanskrit for flute, I think maybe this was another name for Shri Krishan Bhagwan, but could it be that this was what was taught at the Bunga? Maybe a music kender for Hindus or something?

• 2 weeks later...

If you find any early references to bunge let me know. Ie were there bunge prior to the misl period.

Have been looking "Mazhabi Sikhan da itihass" by Shamsher Singh Ashok. He has listed some bunge in Amritsar, but there is no bunga called Morali mentioned. Ashok says there are/were 16 bunge belonging to the misls at Amritsar during misl period.

Have been looking "Mazhabi Sikhan da itihass" by Shamsher Singh Ashok. He has listed some bunge in Amritsar, but there is no bunga called Morali mentioned. Ashok says there are/were 16 bunge belonging to the misls at Amritsar during misl period.

Anything interesting in the history that is hidden from 'mainstream' Sikh history? 

Nope. Ashok has listed some famous Mazhabi Sikhs and told about their lives. It's a good book to learn from. He has told about the story of the "Mazhabi Bunga" at Amritsar. This used to stand where Guru Ramdas Langar Hall is now. It was purchased from the Mahants of the Bunga and pulled down to make Langar Hall. Recently there has been some articles on FB that the Bunga was destroyed to remove the Mazhabi presence from Darbar Sahib. Seems very unlikely as this was the time of the Singh Sabha Lehar as they were very instrumental in taking Sikhi to the "outcastes".

A list of Bunge in Amritsar (From Sikhi-wiki)

The Bungas of Amritsar

Bungas on the western side of the Harimandar Sahib:

• 1. Bunga Jallianvala
  • 2. Bunga Shahabadiari
  • 3. Bunga Majithiari
  • 4. Bunga Singhpuriari
  • 5. Bunga Singhpuriari, 2nd
  • 6. Bunga Gaddovaliari
  • 7. Bunga Khushal Singh also known as Bunga Tin Manzala (threestoryed)
  • 8. Bunga Kanhaiya Sardarari
  • 9. Bunga Raja Dhian Singh
  • 10. Bunga Bararidarivala
  • 11. Akal Bunga
  • 12. Bunga Jodh Singh Chhapavala
  • 13. Bunga Bhag Singh Shahid
  • 14. Bunga Deva Singh Shahid
  • 15. Bunga Ragi Dhanpat Singh
  • 16. Bunga General Mihari Singh
  • 17. Bunga Bhai Gurdas, Giani
  • 18. Bunga Abhai Singh Hukamnamia
  • 19. Bunga Nakaiari (Nakai Buriga)
  • 20. Bunga Barkivaliari
  • 21. Bunga Gharialvala
  • 22. Jhanda Bunga
  • 23. Bunga Chamarivaliari
  • 24. Bunga Khaduriari
  • 25. Bunga Sialkotiari
  • 26. Bunga Gobind Dasiari
  • 27. Bunga Chichevaliari
  • 28. Bunga Sukkarchakkiari

Bungas on northern side:

• 1. Ghanta Ghar (Clock Tower, which was erected, where earlier stood the Bunga of Sardars of Ladva
  • 2. Bunga Sodhis ofAnandpur/Bunga Sodhiari
  • 3. Bunga Kahn Singh Nirmala
  • 4. Bunga Kahn Singh Ragi
  • 5. Bunga Nurmahaliari
  • 6. Bunga Ahluvaliari
  • 7. Bunga Malvaiari/Malvai Buriga
  • 8. Bunga Bhai Sahibs of Kaithal
  • 9. Bunga Jallevaliari

Bungas on eastern side:

• 1. Bunga Akhara Mahant Santokh Das
  • 2. Bunga Ram Singh Giani
  • 3. Bunga Jassa Singh Ramgarhia
  • 4. Bunga Burievaliari
  • 5. Bunga Jethuvaliari
  • 6. Bunga Mazhabi Sikkhari
  • 7. Bunga Bhai Vasti Ram
  • 8. Bunga Javala Singh Bharhaniari
  • 9. Bunga SantJoga Singh Nirmala
  • 10. Bunga Tek Singhvala

Bungas on southern side:

• 1. Buriga Sohalarivaliari/Sohalarivala
  • 2. Buriga Buddh Singhvala
  • 3. Buriga Sohiarivala
  • 4. Shahid Buriga
  • 5. Buriga Kesgarhiari
  • 6. Buriga Anandpuriari
  • 7. Buriga Dasaundha Singh Sidhvari
  • 8. Buriga Jhabaliari
  • 9. Buriga Kaliapvale Sardarari
  • 10. Buriga Tara Singh Kahn Singh Man
  • 11. Buriga Tara Singh Ghaiba
  • 12. Buriga Bhariga Singh Thanesari
  • 13. Buriga Majja Singh Sahnavalia
  • 14. Buriga Baghel Singh
  • 15. Buriga Mirarikotiari
  • 16. Buriga Sham Singh Atarivala
  • 17. Buriga Jassa Singh Nirmala
  • 18. Buriga Lakkha Singh Nirmala
  • 19. Buriga Charhat Singh Ragi
  • 20. Buriga Jodh Singh Sauriarivala
  • 21. Buriga Javala Singh Bharhaniari
  • 22. Buriga Kabulevaliari

(This includes one Akhara Mahant Santokh Das)

Akharas of Amritsar:

• 1. Akhara Santokh Das , now known as Akhara Brahm Buta (included in Bungas)
  • 2. Akhara Ghamand Das
  • 3. Akhara Chitta
  • 4. Akhara Tahil Das
  • 5. Akhara Bala Nand
  • 6. Akhara Mahant Prem Das
  • 7. Akhara Sarigalvala
  • 8. Akhara Karishivala, near Darwaza Ghi Mandi
  • 9. Akhara Karishivala, near Darwaza Sultanvind
  • 10. Akhara Prag Das
  • 11. Akhara Babeksar
  • 12. Akhara Samadhiarivala