Kesh in Gurbani (requirement of a Sikh)

paapiman

Someone on this forum had asked - "Where in the Guru Granth Sahib does it say kesh is a requirement for being a Sikh?"

Both in SDGSJ (Sri Dasam Granth Sahib jee) and SSGSJ (Sri Sarabloh Granth Sahib jee), Kesh has been mentioned as a requirement for a Sikh. There might be a tuk in SSGGSJ (Guru Granth Sahib) regarding it too. If someone knows about it, please do let us know. For a Sikh, Gurbani from all three Granths, is on the same level.

1. SSGSJ (Sri Sarabloh Granth Sahib jee)

ਧਰਮ ਪੰਥ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਪ੍ਰਚੁਰ-ਭਯੋ, ਸਤਿ ਸ਼ਿਵੰ ਪੁਨਯ ਰੂਪ ਜਏ ॥
The manifestation of Panth Khalsa's Dharam [was created], they are the form of truth, liberation and purity. 

ਕਛ, ਕੇਸ, ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨਨ ਮੁਦ੍ਰਿਤ, ਗੁਰ ਭਗਤਾ ਰਾਮਦਾਸ ਭਏ॥੫॥
Kach, Kesh, and Kirpan – these three signs made followers of the Guru the servants [also] of the Lord

Unquote [1]

[1] - http://sarbattkhalsa.weebly.com/kes-is-kakkar-not-keski.html

2. SDGSJ (Sri Dasam Granth Sahib jee)

Quote (Singh 123456777)

Nishan-e-Sikhi ast in Panj har kaf Hargiz na bashad azin panj muaf Kara, Karad, Kacha, Kanga bi dan, Bina kesh kes hech ast jumla nishan

Unquote

The translation of the above is as follows (correct me if I am wrong): 

“ The following five K’s are the mark of Sikhi. These five can never be parted from the body. Kara, Kirpan, Kashera, Kangha, recognise these as four of them. The fifth is Kesh, without which the other four are useless. “ [1]

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

• 2 weeks later...

Requirement of Kesh is mentioned in SSGGSJ (Guru Granth Sahib jee). It is mentioned in "Sankaytee form". 

ਪੰਚ ਮਨਾਏ ਪੰਚ ਰੁਸਾਏ ॥

When the five virtues were reconciled, and the five passions were estranged,

ਪੰਚ ਵਸਾਏ ਪੰਚ ਗਵਾਏ ॥੧

I enshrined the five within myself, and cast out the other five. ||1|| (ANG 430)

Please listen to the audio clip below by Gyani Avtar Singh jee. Please listen after 23:00 min:

http://www.gurmatveechar.com/audios/Katha/02_Present_Day_Katha/Bhai_Avtar_Singh_(Badni_Kalan_wale)/Katha_Sri_Guru_Granth_Sahib_Ji/CD_10/36--Bhai.Avtar.Singh--Katha.Guru.Granth.Sahib.Ji.Vol.10--Ang.430%2C.Line.03.mp3

ਪੰਚ ਰੁਸਾਏ - can also refer to the 5 cardinal sins (which includes killing hair).

Bhul chuk maaf

Edited by paapiman

Not directly in our only living Guru Sri GURU Granth Sahib Ji... But indirectly talks about it... Some examples:

Page 149, Line 15
ਸਿਰੁ ਖੋਹਾਇ ਪੀਅਹਿ ਮਲਵਾਣੀ ਜੂਠਾ ਮੰਗਿ ਮੰਗਿ ਖਾਹੀ ॥
Sir kẖohā▫e pī▫ah malvāṇī jūṯẖā mang mang kẖāhī.
They pluck the hair out of their heads, and drink in filthy water; they beg endlessly and eat the garbage which others have thrown away.
Guru Nanak Dev

Page 344, Line 6
ਰੋਮ ਰੋਮ ਮਹਿ ਬਸਹਿ ਮੁਰਾਰਿ ॥
Rom rom mėh basėh murār.
and on each and every hair , the Lord abides.
Devotee Kabir

Page 443, Line 7
ਰੋਮੇ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮੇ ਮੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਏ ਰਾਮ ॥
Rome rom rom rome mai gurmukẖ rām ḏẖi▫ā▫e rām.
With each and every hair, with each and every hair, as Gurmukh, I meditate on the Lord.
Guru Ram Das 

• 2 weeks later...

Kes are required, but that doesn't mean Sehajdharis aren't Sikhs, just that they should plan on keeping Kes some time in their life if they can, if not, then sometime in their next life. 

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji doesn't mention Kes, as it does with many other things, like the history of the Guru Sahibans, early Rehat, etc. because of the pure nature, theme, and motive of Adi Bani. Anyone can keep Kes, it's effortless. But how many of us can commit to Amrit Vela, Naam and Bani Abhyaas, Gurbani and Gurmat Lekh Khoj, connect to and understand Bhagauti/Akaal, maintaining a good state of mind, having a good Charitar [character], being Bibeki, and living a Gurmat oriented life? Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and almost all of Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji enlighten us on how to achieve the above. That's probably a reason why the Gurus didn't include any Bani relating or pertaining to physical Rehat inside their Granth(s). It's absence from SGGSJ doesn't necessarily mean it was completely absent, historical sources say otherwise.

Edited by Kuttabanda2
Because I want to.

• 6 months later...
Guest Mandeep Singh
On 10/4/2015 at 11:42 PM, amardeep said:

I dont think the requirement of kesh is mentioned anywhere in the Guru Granth Sahib.

my dear friend there are evidences of kesh in sri guru granth sahib ji

You can search for it in igranth app.

The tuk says: Tere banke loyan Dant resala. Sohne nak jin lambde wala(long hair.(ang:566)

The gurus sikh will have the long hair.

Another tuk: kabir Man Mundya Nahi Kesh Mandaye kaye(kabir ji says you have not shaved your mind so why shaved your hair.(ang:1364)).

Now i ll talk about the beared.There are evidences from guru granth sahib ji which says about the sikhs beared.

The tuk says: Se  Daadhiya Sachiya Je Gur Charni Lagan.(ang 1413)

All these are evidences are from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

If you want i can tell you about the other four kakars of a sikh that are also mentioned in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

2 hours ago, Guest Mandeep Singh said:

The tuk says: Tere banke loyan Dant resala. Sohne nak jin lambde wala(long hair.(ang:566)

Another tuk: kabir Man Mundya Nahi Kesh Mandaye kaye(kabir ji says you have not shaved your mind so why shaved your hair.(ang:1364)).

Now i ll talk about the beared.There are evidences from guru granth sahib ji which says about the sikhs beared.

If you want i can tell you about the other four kakars of a sikh that are also mentioned in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

Please do show where the other four kakaars are mentioned ji.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest
On 13 October 2015 at 3:43 AM, CdnSikhGirl said:

Not directly in our only living Guru Sri GURU Granth Sahib Ji... But indirectly talks about it... Some examples:

Page 149, Line 15
ਸਿਰੁ ਖੋਹਾਇ ਪੀਅਹਿ ਮਲਵਾਣੀ ਜੂਠਾ ਮੰਗਿ ਮੰਗਿ ਖਾਹੀ ॥
Sir kẖohā▫e pī▫ah malvāṇī jūṯẖā mang mang kẖāhī.
They pluck the hair out of their heads, and drink in filthy water; they beg endlessly and eat the garbage which others have thrown away.
Guru Nanak Dev

Page 344, Line 6
ਰੋਮ ਰੋਮ ਮਹਿ ਬਸਹਿ ਮੁਰਾਰਿ ॥
Rom rom mėh basėh murār.
and on each and every hair , the Lord abides.
Devotee Kabir

Page 443, Line 7
ਰੋਮੇ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮੇ ਮੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਏ ਰਾਮ ॥
Rome rom rom rome mai gurmukẖ rām ḏẖi▫ā▫e rām.
With each and every hair, with each and every hair, as Gurmukh, I meditate on the Lord.
Guru Ram Das 

FALSE

The first thread talks about extreme ascetics.  

The word 'rom' means pores of skin, not hair.  pores remains even if hair is shaved.

Guest guest
On 4 October 2015 at 4:26 PM, paapiman said:

Someone on this forum had asked - "Where in the Guru Granth Sahib does it say kesh is a requirement for being a Sikh?"

Both in SDGSJ (Sri Dasam Granth Sahib jee) and SSGSJ (Sri Sarabloh Granth Sahib jee), Kesh has been mentioned as a requirement for a Sikh. There might be a tuk in SSGGSJ (Guru Granth Sahib) regarding it too. If someone knows about it, please do let us know. For a Sikh, Gurbani from all three Granths, is on the same level.

1. SSGSJ (Sri Sarabloh Granth Sahib jee)

ਧਰਮ ਪੰਥ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਪ੍ਰਚੁਰ-ਭਯੋ, ਸਤਿ ਸ਼ਿਵੰ ਪੁਨਯ ਰੂਪ ਜਏ ॥
The manifestation of Panth Khalsa's Dharam [was created], they are the form of truth, liberation and purity. 

ਕਛ, ਕੇਸ, ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨਨ ਮੁਦ੍ਰਿਤ, ਗੁਰ ਭਗਤਾ ਰਾਮਦਾਸ ਭਏ॥੫॥
Kach, Kesh, and Kirpan – these three signs made followers of the Guru the servants [also] of the Lord

Unquote [1]

[1] - http://sarbattkhalsa.weebly.com/kes-is-kakkar-not-keski.html

2. SDGSJ (Sri Dasam Granth Sahib jee)

Quote (Singh 123456777)

Nishan-e-Sikhi ast in Panj har kaf Hargiz na bashad azin panj muaf Kara, Karad, Kacha, Kanga bi dan, Bina kesh kes hech ast jumla nishan

Unquote

The translation of the above is as follows (correct me if I am wrong): 

“ The following five K’s are the mark of Sikhi. These five can never be parted from the body. Kara, Kirpan, Kashera, Kangha, recognise these as four of them. The fifth is Kesh, without which the other four are useless. “ [1]

Bhul chuk maaf

They asked where in SGGS not other Granths.

Guest guest honesty
On 29 April 2016 at 7:25 PM, Guest Mandeep Singh said:

I don't find those quotes on Ang 566 or Ang 1364, or Ang 1413.  Have you give wrong numbers?

Guest guest
On 27 May 2016 at 8:45 PM, paapiman said:

Check the above post, where an audio link has been provided.

Bhul chuk maaf

I asked where in SGGS, not what any particular kasha vachaks says.  Again you are not answering the question.

• 2 months later...

ਕਬੀਰ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਇਕ ਸਿਉ ਕੀਏ ਆਨ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਜਾਇ ॥

ਭਾਵੈ ਲਾਂਬੇ ਕੇਸ ਕਰੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਘਰਰਿ ਮੁਡਾਇ ॥੨੫॥

Gyani Ram Singh jee explains one of the arths of the above Gurbani tuks. That arth will make it clear that Waheguru jee wants people to keep Kesh.

Note: There are many more arths of the above Gurbani tuks. You can listen to Gyani jee. He states the uthanka for the above shalok too. 

Please start listening after 1:01:00 min:

Bhul chuk maaf

why dont you summarise his points?  im confused about the Salok you quoted. how does this support your point? 

btw i am not trying to hurt anyones sentiment.  having kesh out of bhakti is beautiful.  

here is the Sant Singh Khalsa translation:

Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart.
  You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald. ||25||

ho

ਨੋਟ: ਪਿਛਲੇ ਸ਼ਲੋਕ ਵਿਚ ਨਿਰੋਲ ਦੁਨੀਆਦਾਰਾਂ ਦਾ ਜ਼ਿਕਰ ਹੈ, ਇਥੇ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਜ਼ਿਕਰ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਆਪਣੇ ਵਲੋਂ 'ਦੁਨੀਆ' ਤਿਆਗ ਗਏ ਹਨ। ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀ ਦੇ ਵੇਲੇ ਅਜੇ 'ਖ਼ਾਲਸੇ' ਵਾਂਗ ਕੋਈ ਕੇਸਾਧਾਰੀ ਪੰਥ ਨਹੀਂ ਸੀ, ਜਿਸ ਉਤੇ ਕੋਈ ਨੁਕਤਾਚੀਨੀ ਕਰਨ ਦੀ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀ ਨੂੰ ਲੋੜ ਪੈਂਦੀ। ਇਥੇ ਜਟਾਧਾਰੀਆਂ ਦਾ ਹੀ ਜ਼ਿਕਰ ਹੈ।

^http://www.gurugranthdarpan.com/darpan2/1365.html

Prof. Sahib Singhs explanation (historical approach).

• 4 weeks later...