Why did the Gurus NOT write the katha/viakya of Guru Granth Sahib Ji?

Because one translation or explanation does not do justice with Bani tuks. The depth of Bani is such that persons with different spiritual states will see it differently. On the other hand, I feel that the Guru encouraged Khoj and discussion in Sadh Sangat instead of giving everything to the Sikhs to blindly parrot (teekas and what not):

1. khojee upjae, badee binsai

2. hoyee ikattar mileh mere bhaee, dubidha door kar liv layee

3. sabse oopar gur shabad veechar

• 3 months later...

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh The gurus didn't write any katha or anything like that because they want us to realize what they mean if they wrote the meanings then what is the point really they could have jist wrote a book of katha then.

Anmol Kaur 

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

forgive my mistakes

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 10/20/2015 at 2:13 AM, paapiman said:

Satguru jee (fifth master) declared that Bhai Saab Bhai Gurdas jee's Bani (Vaaran and Kabit) is the key to SSGGSJ. Maharaaj gave us the key to the treasure too.

Dhan Dhan Dhan Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Rai Dev Bedi jee Maharaaj

Bhul chuk maaf

I have heard the same.

On 10/21/2015 at 12:42 PM, das said:

I am NOT suggesting that one needs Dehghari Guru, actually I'm NOT suggesting anything, if you read Guru Granth Sahib Ji (WITHOUT THE history in mind), then it would be quite clear that Guru Ji HIMSELF (Sri Gruru Granth Sahib Ji) is talking about the necessity/need of Sants. Guru Gobind Singh Ji never said that Sants are not required. If a person really takes Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as his/her Guru, then he/she would be more looking for Sat-Sangat.

Sant Waryam says - SGGS says goto Sant and Sant says goto SGGS dont be my chela. 

B180FDC3-AA3B-4445-B4A5-340D77BF4A96.jpeg

3C1AA406-51FD-4CE5-A5DF-2F909565C100.jpeg

Its about your Shradha.

9175B868-4140-4612-8C25-4C645ED10D62.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Bumping this great thread.

I agree that the Katha could be infinite because Bani so deep, and Katha can be done from many different angles and applied in different ways with examples to modern life etc.

Also, the level of Katha depends on education and other knowledge the person doing Katha or listening to Katha has.

• 3 months later...
On 10/19/2015 at 7:43 PM, das said:

Could anyone please share their thoughts on why Sikh Gurus did NOT write the katha/vikhaya of Guru Granth Sahib Ji? It would have saved the panth ALL the debates revolving around the meanings of Guru Sahib? After-all Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the teasure and what's the use of treasure without the key (meanings)?

Perhaps Bro, because  Sree Guru Granth Sahib by itself is the katha /vikhaya of Waheguru Akal Purukh Himself, which is the most beautiful and complete act by itself..

And, who says, the treasure in IT has no meanings?

Everything is there in SGGS, it is only that we do not pay attention to what is said. 

It is like we are more busy in looking a prescription all the time, rather than after reading and looking at the prescription to intake the medicine in the box,   

By seeing  that others are also doing that,  we tend to think that, that is fine enough to recover back our health, but tragically our end reaches us, thus then we have no time to take the medicine, and we go away sick.

Nobody has ever got cured by just reading a prescription, nor will anyone ever.  

For the curing power is in the medicine only.

The medicine is the remedy for the sickness, no medicine, no cure, but for sure more pain and discomfort.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 5:39 PM, SunnySingh said:

Nobody has ever got cured by just reading a prescription, nor will anyone ever.

Hit on bull's eye. 😌

Seems like you may not have a chance to read the complete thread before posting. The whole point of starting this thread was to: Emphasize the point that "Sant/Brahmgyani" is required if you really want to cross the ocean and go to Sachkhand. It is the doctor who will explain how to take the medicine. If you've some medical knowledge then you can go some-distance with the prescription but ultimately for serious treatment you need to have the doctor.

The thread's intention was supposed to show the Anti-Sant group that True-Saint is needed and it is mentioned at various places in Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

• 1 year later...

Guru Ji may have written the katha and it got lost in satluj river during crossing leaving Anandpur Sahib.  But Gurbani is easy to understand whats needed is a good Paathi like Professor Satnam Singh Sethi...its on Youtube - Gurbani Ucharan Prof. Satnam Singh

now im on my 9th Akhand Paath and now its easy to understand

On 12/30/2023 at 5:04 AM, PAL_07 said:

Guru Ji may have written the katha and it got lost in satluj river during crossing leaving Anandpur Sahib.  But Gurbani is easy to understand whats needed is a good Paathi like Professor Satnam Singh Sethi...its on Youtube - Gurbani Ucharan Prof. Satnam Singh

now im on my 9th Akhand Paath and now its easy to understand

It's called Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Ji and is also Gurbani ultimately. In that it was both inspired and approved.