Holy Cow !!!

truthseeker546

Although having said that  Baba Ram Singh jee would be considered a great saint by some. I believe as  Baba Ram Singh jee was considered a living Guru by some sects, this is quite abhorrent to other Sikhs. Also since Baba Ram Singh jee was involved in the killing of innocent Muslims - directly or indirectly, I think his "saint" status would be contested - least not the British who exiled him for his actions.  Oddly this more militant, violent approach seems at odds with the Jesus like tenderness and love of Guru Nanak. Giving credence to my theory that Sikhism is a collection of various different thoughts and ideas from very different Gurus as opposed to a single unified idea - as put forward by main stream Sikh thought. 

Edited by truthseeker546

• 4 weeks later...
On October 29, 2015 at 4:39 AM, truthseeker546 said:

Ok thanks for all that.

Umm still a bit confused ... Jaikaara : you gave  quote above but didn't mention where is came from. Can I have the reference please.

"Sikhs gave their lives for cows " - I'm a bit confused as to how far the relationship of the cow is in Sikhism. One one had God is in everyone - so why give more importance to a cow then a human being - doesn't make sense - you would kill a human to protect a cow. Unless like Hinus the belief was that cows are somehow divine. 

And does this mean again that Sikhism is fundamentally an India religion, that can't shake off its cultural tires with India. For instance if Sikhism had spread to an Arab country, there are no cows in the desert. They use Camels for Meat, Milk, travel, Clothes, trade etc. Would Sikhs then give the same value to Camels as they do cows. Or horses in Eastern Turkey - each geographical area has its own Animal of choice.

Also I can appreciate that Sikhs and Hindu due to their own religious beliefs hold the cow scared - but when that belief is imposed on others others that don't hold that belief - isn't that religious intolerance / oppression ? I though Guru Nanak was against forcing your beliefs on anther people ? a bit confused.  

The "sacred cow" verse is a metaphor. It's used metaphorically to refer to innocent or oppressed people. They used to say "Gau Brahman" Gau; Cow, Brahman:Brahmin to refer to the poor and Innocent. However, if we look at many early Rehatnamas, Brahmins aren't really treated well. In the Mukatnama, it's banned to eat pork, however, why wasn't there a restriction the cow, if it indeed was holy or highly esteemed? It's just a cultural thing that's been carried by the Hindus who converted to Sikhism. Secondly, the Uggardanti Bani isn't found in most Sri Dasam Granth sahib Sarroops. I personally believe it's Bani, but not many scholars do, considering it contrasts with many of the other compositions of Dasam Granth, in terms of writing style and heading.