Anyone have experience with gallbladder issues?

CdnSikhGirl

WJKK WJKF

I am a bit scared right now.  I woke up this a.m. with horrendous pain in my upper right quadrant, went to the base hospital. They did blood tests for liver function and GGT, AST, ALT came back elevated. They are thinking maybe gallbladder.  It's not constant, it kind of comes and goes, and when its at worst it's agony.  Like double in half and want to scream kind of pain. Also tender in that area right under my ribs. 

Does this sound like gallstones? Have any of you had them and had to have surgery? Is there anything else these elevated liver function tests could point to? I'm anritdhari so no alcohol etc ( I never drank before either) so it cant be liver issues can it?? What else can cause RUQ pain and elevated liver function tests?

I have another round of blood tests tomorrow morning and an U/S on Wed (soonest they could book it).  

I know this is not a medical forum, but hoping someone may have had some experience and can put my mind at ease. 

Penji,

Ultrasound will definitely tell if there is anything wrong with the gall bladder. They will look at the thickness of gallbladder lining & presence of any stones using Ultrasound. So you will only know after Wednesday.

GGT elevation is very specific for the blockage in bile duct, which is usually with a stone blocking it.

Sometimes stones are small & they are passed away on their own without any need for surgery. A cousin of mine in India passed the stones naturally , no need for surgery.

Another cousin in Australia had an infection of Gallbladder and had to have surgery right away.

Gallstones are very common in women in their 40s. So far it does sound like gallstones, just hang in tight till Wednesday.  The surgery is on the discretion of the surgeon. Usually the management is just pain relief & avoiding oily & fatty foods, but if the symptoms get more worse & frequent, you will eventually need cholecystectomy.

Keep us posted.

Stay in Chardikala!

ps.surgeons are very expert with gallbladder surgery, they prolli do one every day, so dun wry from that perspective.

I am sorry and don't worry you will get better soon, trust vaheguroo ji.  I know you might won't like me since our difference but consider me a younger sister and take this advice. I am way ignorant and new to spirituality but for your own health refrain from these online discussion over men and women for a week or so. Other people who posts over here they might say something and then let it go. However, your posts shows your inner state. I am no one to judge you but from bottom of my heart I will say in this war your health is suffering. 

If not a week, maybe few days do more meditation and let the world be what it is. Instead of judging observe them. I know you were in navy or still might be so it's hard to let go of what you  think is right or wrong. But go within for few days. I guarantee you will find peace. Don't let other peoples words and actions control your emotions.

May vaheguroo ji brings you so much peace. It's just a sisterly advice for your well being because when I read your posts I can sense your inner state and I feel hurt.

Sorry if said anything wrong, wish you nothing but good health and so much peace . 

1 hour ago, Ragmaala said:

Penji,

Ultrasound will definitely tell if there is anything wrong with the gall bladder. They will look at the thickness of gallbladder lining & presence of any stones using Ultrasound. So you will only know after Wednesday.

GGT elevation is very specific for the blockage in bile duct, which is usually with a stone blocking it.

Sometimes stones are small & they are passed away on their own without any need for surgery. A cousin of mine in India passed the stones naturally , no need for surgery.

Another cousin in Australia had an infection of Gallbladder and had to have surgery right away.

Gallstones are very common in women in their 40s. So far it does sound like gallstones, just hang in tight till Wednesday.  The surgery is on the discretion of the surgeon. Usually the management is just pain relief & avoiding oily & fatty foods, but if the symptoms get more worse & frequent, you will eventually need cholecystectomy.

Keep us posted.

Stay in Chardikala!

ps.surgeons are very expert with gallbladder surgery, they prolli do one every day, so dun wry from that perspective.

Thanks Raagmala Ji.... I have no choice but to just wait it out till Wed (unless it gets more severe then she said go to ER because the base hospital can't do any more than what they were anyway.  We no longer have an ER on base but we do have full diagnostic imaging and lab.  But the pain wow.... I wasn't expecting that. Only other thing she said was stay away from tylenol in the mean time because it can also elevate those tests. Hoping I passed it (if it was a stone) as things seem to have calmed down. 

5 hours ago, Satkirin_Kaur said:

Thanks Raagmala Ji.... I have no choice but to just wait it out till Wed (unless it gets more severe then she said go to ER because the base hospital can't do any more than what they were anyway.  We no longer have an ER on base but we do have full diagnostic imaging and lab.  But the pain wow.... I wasn't expecting that. Only other thing she said was stay away from tylenol in the mean time because it can also elevate those tests. Hoping I passed it (if it was a stone) as things seem to have calmed down. 

Sounds like stones in your gall bladder ..if that is the case after the U/S then check with the size of the stone ..if its small you can have hot water everyday and it will pass off in the urine ..the pain must be around the liver i guess ...am i right ?

20 hours ago, Satkirin_Kaur said:

hope it stays calm. avoid oily & fatty foods.

Well due to snowstorm in Atlantic Canada, the base was shut down (including the base hospital) so now U/S is Friday morning.  And still experiencing pain though nowhere what it was and mostly tenderness below my right ribs. I can feel it even if I move around or breathe deep. I was told go to the civilian ER if it gets worse but I feel its died down rather than get worse. So I'm holding off. That, and I don't want to wait 8-10 hours in waiting room anyway. 

Jaap of the below verses can be done, along with medical attention:

- All shabads in Sri Dukh Bhanjani Sahib jee

- ANG 817

ਬਿਲਾਵਲੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਆਰਾਧੀਐ ਹੋਈਐ ਆਰੋਗ ॥

ਰਾਮਚੰਦ ਕੀ ਲਸਟਿਕਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਮਾਰਿਆ ਰੋਗੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਜਾਪੀਐ ਨਿਤ ਕੀਚੈ ਭੋਗੁ॥

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਕੈ ਵਾਰਣੈ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਸੰਜੋਗੁ॥੧॥

ਜਿਸੁ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਬਿਨਸੈ ਬਿਓਗੁ ॥

ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਰਣਾਗਤੀ ਕਰਣ ਕਾਰਣ ਜੋਗੁ ॥੨॥੩੪॥੬੪॥

- ANG 611

ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

ਕਰਿ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਅਪਨਾ ਮਨ ਤਨ ਭਏ ਅਰੋਗਾ ॥

ਕੋਟਿ ਬਿਘਨ ਲਾਥੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਰਣਾ ਪ੍ਰਗਟੇ ਭਲੇ ਸੰਜੋਗਾ ॥੧॥

ਪ੍ਰਭ ਬਾਣੀ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਭਾਖਿਆ ॥

ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਪੜਹੁ ਨਿਤ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੈ ਤੂ ਰਾਖਿਆ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

ਸਾਚਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਅਮਿਤਿ ਵਡਾਈ ਭਗਤਿ ਵਛਲ ਦਇਆਲਾ ॥

ਸੰਤਾ ਕੀ ਪੈਜ ਰਖਦਾ ਆਇਆ ਆਦਿ ਬਿਰਦੁ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲਾ ॥੨॥

ਹਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਭੋਜਨੁ ਨਿਤ ਭੁੰਚਹੁ ਸਰਬ ਵੇਲਾ ਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਵਹੁ ॥

ਜਰਾ ਮਰਾ ਤਾਪੁ ਸਭੁ ਨਾਠਾ ਗੁਣ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਨਿਤ ਗਾਵਹੁ ॥੩॥

ਸੁਣੀ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਮੇਰੈ ਸਰਬ ਕਲਾ ਬਣਿ ਆਈ ॥

ਪ੍ਰਗਟ ਭਈ ਸਗਲੇ ਜੁਗ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥੪॥੧੧॥

Bhul chuk maaf

9 hours ago, Satkirin_Kaur said:

I know we have our differences in opinion on a few things but just wanted to say thanks for your input on this. It's really appreciated. 

Different opinions keeps things exciting ;)   It doesn't mean I have hatred for anyone, just a different opinion lol. Otherwise things will be too boring.

Keep praying & stay strong!

Well had U/S but no results. They said they would try to get them to my doc by end of day and I guess they didn't because no phone call. Though I did try to see the screen... it was a bit difficult given the angle, but I could clearly see the outline of my GB all black, and I could distinctly see two bright white oblong things inside. They were not round though... looked more like bright white dashes. At least one of which I am sure I saw acoustic shadow on (given that I am pretty sure there should only be one duct coming from the gb but I could see 2 possibly 3 dark lines.)  (No I am no U/S expert LOL. But my entire career has been interpreting acoustic data as a Sonar Operator in the Navy and the physics is remarkably similar). 

Anyway it hurt like heck with her pushing the transducer and since I had to fast since last night I tried to eat something afterward.  My stomach rebelled and got rid of its contents pretty quickly. So now I can't eat anything at all. Before it was just pain, now it's pain and vomiting. So I have not eaten all day though I can drink water... and pain is actually worse.  Hence my dilema. It's Friday night.  I have to wait till Monday to get results of the U/S now. And also the 3rd round of blood tests. (First two GGT, AST, ALT were elevated.  Bilirubin and ALP were normal. Negative for Hepatitis.)  Not sure what to do now.  I REALLY REALLY don't want to go to Emerg. But the pain is getting hard to withstand.  And it's been since Monday now and I am getting tired... But I am not even sure what's wrong if it's even gallbladder at all.  

Its definitely Gallbladder.  If I was you or my sister was telling me the same story I would tell her to go to the Emergency right away. If emergency thinks its gallbladder you may get your turn earlier. Your symptoms have gotten worse, i.e now you have nausea & vomiting with pain. We don't want any infection to develop or get worse.

So I would seriously tell you to go to ER

Well I'm going for surgery... Today... Wasn't exactly expecting this.  Stones / cholecystitis confirmed when they got hold of the ultrasound from the base. In mean time I really hope pain meds don't count as intoxicants (morphine) And scared to remove my kakkars for the surgery. 

Thanks Ragmaala Ji for giving me kick in the butt to go to ER. 

19 minutes ago, Satkirin_Kaur said:

Well I'm going for surgery... Today... Wasn't exactly expecting this.  Stones / cholecystitis confirmed when they got hold of the ultrasound from the base. In mean time I really hope pain meds don't count as intoxicants (morphine) And scared to remove my kakkars for the surgery. 

Thanks Ragmaala Ji for giving me kick in the butt to go to ER. 

Penji, just keep doing simran & praying! Guru Ji knows all!   All the best! talk to you soon after !

During this surgery there is no need to remove Kes, so that is all good. Tell them before hand about your feelings & desires. OR people are very helpful & accomodating :)

Talk to your anesthesiologist too, when you get a chance about any concerns regarding kes or kakars.

Dont worry about Morphine, it is just a medicine, it is not an intoxicant if used medically. :)   Guru Ji all loving & all knowing, He cares more about your intentions :)

Good Luck!

I survived but wow feel like I have been through 10 kickboxing rounds and lost. They tell me it's the gas needs to dissipate that they inflate u like a balloon with.

The actual incisions I can't Feel the upper 3 ports at all but the one near my belly button ( the big one) hurts but not like deep visceral pain like I had it's more like superficial pain. The gallbladder pain was actually worse and that's now gone!!!! 

Anyway I made it!! Was nervous as heck though going in to the OR. I have had orthopaedic surgery before and wasn't anxious at all but this is like more "inside" if that makes sense.