Blog: Vegruary- A month of vegetarianism

dalsingh101

5 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Good one brother. Try to mediate a lot too and see if you notice any differences in your overall mental health (vikar activity, calmness, sleep patterns, dreams, time spent on meditation, etc).

All the best.

Btw, are you planning a vegan diet or a lacto-vegetarian one

Bhul chuk maaf

I'm going to be doing lacto-vegetarian. 

Good tips on the meditation and type of stuff to keep aware of!

Also, if you workout, you can keep a diary of your stamina, how much you can run before getting tired ? or changes in strength if you lift weights ?

Pay particular attention to digestion, sorry stool quality & frequency.

If it does not seem far fetched, you can get a Blood test comprising of Hb, Vit B12, Lipid levels ( LDL, HDL), Random Blood Sugars, HbA1c levels. This can take your experiement to even greater heights. Just a thought. rest is your marzi.

Day 1: 1/2/16

Okay....

Had 2 Linda Mcartney (hereon LM) veg sausages, mushrooms (sauted in a little butter)  and a small portion of beans for breakfast. Supplemented that with half an avocado.

Lunchtime I had a cheese, tomato and avocado sandwich and some carrot sticks and a few coffees with cream (the latter mainly to try and perk up a bit). 

Not having an evening meal today, although I did have a few, very small pieces of a homemade protein bar I made earlier. I had planned to make karelay but too tired for that now. 

I'm feeling exhausted but it is nothing to do with the diet changes. I've (coincidentally) had some extra commitments thrown on me this month  which involves waking up much earlier than usual, and some longs walks (about an hour). I need to adjust to that. I'm going to miss on training tonight for that reason.  

I'm not craving any food in particular right now, but it was strange walking through the supermarket and realising that I don't need to pass through the meat section.  

On the weekend I visited a friend and ended up eating a whole bunch of carbs (which I usually never do), and have felt bloated/sluggish ever since. I did it because I was hungry and enjoying myself and didn't want to offend. Can't wait to get back on track and feel like myself again.

Until tomorrow. 

Day 2: 2/2/16

Breakfast: Aldis Cottage cheese with pineapple, with a spoon full of low sugar strawberry jam, and a shortbread biscuit crushed in (for crunch). Coffee and cream. (learnt that sweet breakfasts really are not my thing.....)

Lunch. I slice of low carb bread (toasted) with a small portion of beans on top and melted cheese. Some carrot slices. A large piece of homemade protein bar. 

Evening meal: Curly fries, 2 LM veg sausages, mixed roast veg (inc. carrots, courgettes, mushrooms, onions, peppers and Bisto gravy.

Felt better than yesterday this morning but still a tad tired. Simran wasn't the most focused and mind seem unfocused in general when listening to paat. By the time I walked to a meeting I had  (1 hour walk) I was sleepy. Fitted in a power nap in the early evening which helped refresh me.  I trained almost immediately after my evening meal today (I just finished), and discovered that straight after eating (even before training) that my mood was much better, and that I may have been moody and sullen today. Whether this is the diet or something else is anyone's guess at this point. I have to say, I did feel a bit 'spaced out' all day. 

Learnt another VERY important thing today too. Even though training was far from awesome (lifting less than normal), I still found my mood lifted significantly half way through it. This just highlights how important physical training can be, not only physically but psychologically!  

I'm cautious about drawing too many conclusions at this early stage and believe my body is undergoing a transition phase whilst it becomes accustomed to the new diet. 

PS - I'm snacking on carrot sticks/celery and houmous post workout. 

Day 3: 3/2/16

I think the best word to describe this morning is 'disheveled'. Rushed out and didn't get to eat until way after mid day (around 1.30). When I did eat it was some homemade protein bar and some carrot and celery sticks with homous. 

Was feeling spaced out again before this. On the plus side, I felt leaner - like my body fat was decreasing and my tidh seemed more inwardly taut.

This evening I used my juicer to make some karela, celery and carrot juice after which I had a big plate of rice with palak paneer. Then trained shortly afterwards.

I definitely noticed a decrease in strength compared to usual. Things I could usually do sets of 10 of 12 now only got to 7 or 8. Yes, I do feel noticeably weaker at the moment, but I also feel a bit calmer. 

Nothing major to report today. I'm still cautious about drawing any solid conclusions. I think I'll be in a better position to do so after week 2.

Bhaa ji do you know makhaane ? puffed up lotus seeds ..dont know if you would get there , i think try some indian store .

I think I know what they are from when I was a kid. If I'm not mistaken they are what people put in panjiri some times? 

Why did you suggest them in particular bhai ji? Was there a particular reason?

-  my scratchpad - 

Milky coffee.

Pineapple and cottage cheese with low sugar jam and brazil nuts. Green tea.

3 LM sausages, curly fries and spicy beans. Green Tea.

18 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

I definitely noticed a decrease in strength compared to usual. Things I could usually do sets of 10 of 12 now only got to 7 or 8. Yes, I do feel noticeably weaker at the moment, but I also feel a bit calmer. 

yeah food can def have a big impact.   for me its like if dont eat roti lol i feel tired and not good.

keep at it bro . how are your aggression levels ?

Day 4: 4/2/16 (decided to update meals as often as possible in case I forget what I've eaten later)

Breakfast. Aldis cottage cheese and pineapple, with some brazil nuts and a sprinkle of Harvest Morn Milled Linseed (with gojiberries, sunflower and pumpkin seeds). One toasted Burgen bread with beans and melted cheese on top. Cup of green tea.  

Snack: 1 piece of rassomalai

Pre-workout snack. Carrot sticks and celery with homous.

Evening meal: Juice of 1 1/2 kalera with celery, carrot and cucumber. 2 rotis with palak paneer and a little rice. Green tea.  

Feeling good today. Noticed a few subtle things, hardly any girhh in my eyes in the morning, hardly any early morning phlegm in throat. Training wise, there is definitely a decrease in strength and....aggression (to answer your question Ragmala). Mood is uplifted. I feel light, physically and mentally. Feels good right now. Might also be related to the improvement in weather though! Tidh feels a bit full though from the paneer and roti as I sit typing this. 

Thoughts: Didn't think this much change would occur so quickly?!?! But it might be some sort of placebo effect.  

So this is what normal motherf***ers feel like....hhmmmmm. 

Onward we go with this experiment!

Day 5: 5/2/16 

Nothing profound to report really. I'm getting bored of listing what I eat (and frankly a bit embarrassed because I'm often eating the same stuff most of the time). But I will post any new things I'm trying. 

I don't feel any cravings for meat. What I have found is that cooking new stuff, when you've become accustomed to cooking certain 'go to' meals in a mix, can feel laborious... lol

I'm enjoying the change of mood the diet seems to be creating for the moment. I don't feel like training as much as I normally do but I can feel this is detoxifying in some way. 

It's made me think harder about alternative perspectives of food and how they subtly effect you. All that tamogun, sattogun stuff seems to have come to life. I'd like to learn more about it. 

haha  I wouldnt be able to tell the difference tho, i never had meat... & not planning either lol

I think it is down to individual choice. As long as you feel healthy and train, it's cool. 

Dally drink some whey protien to hit your protien goals everyday.

I put some in those protein bars I made. I should tell you how I made them. (Wet ingredients)  I essentially melt two hi cocoa content bars (like 70% and 85%) in a metal bowl (by placing over a pot of boiling water), add a little evaporated milk to it  and then a few table spoons of peanut butter mixing it all up thoroughly when melted. Maybe some sweetener (as per taste). (Dry ingredients) Whilst this is melting, in another bowl I chop up a bunch of different nuts - toasted sesame seeds, walnuts, almonds, brazils, pista, loads of pumpkin seeds, some desiccated coconut, maybe some crushed flaxseed and a cup of oatmeal. I add protein powder to this dry mix. After stirring it I pour it into bowl with the melted chocolate; mix it again using my (washed) hands and squashing fistfuls of it (if its too dry I add a another small splash of boiled or evaporated milk, you can taste it at this stage also) and finally squash it down in a tray lined with grease paper (helps when you are removing it after it has set!) and let it cool (for about 20/30 minutes on a kitchen top. Then I put it in the fridge for an hour or two (more likely over night). Then finally chop into various size bars.   

Or you can get your protien with a shit load of spinach. Just like popeye!

I try. Now the weather's improving it's starting to grow again too! How's your gardening going? What's the weather saying over there?

Even lentil soup could be a good source , moongi di dal , boiled rajma , masoor di dal

I'm on that. It's coming soon. 

9 hours ago, Singh123456777 said:

Well it's winter here but this week the weather has been amazing. Suprising actually for the month of February. All the snow has melted but the ground is still too hard to plant and seed.

That homemade protien bar sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe. Hopefully make it this coming week.

What you planning to grow this year?

I updated the recipe btw, I'd forgotten a few things, but point is that you can customise it - you don't have to use every ingredient I do. Go heavy with the pumpkin seeds though - they are one of the highest value veg protein sources (30g per 100g). Sometimes I add a few peanut butter M&Ms a relative gets for me  from America as a treat too. 

Throw in about 5/6 scoops of protein powder in the dry mix. 

3 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

What you planning to grow this year?

I updated the recipe btw, I'd forgotten a few things, but point is that you can customise it - you don't have to use every ingredient I do. Go heavy with the pumpkin seeds though - they are one of the highest value veg protein sources (30g per 100g). Sometimes I add a few peanut butter M&Ms a relative gets for me  from America as a treat too. 

Throw in about 5/6 scoops of protein powder in the dry mix. 

I'm planning to grow wheat, corn and alfalfa. The alfalfa is for making hay for horses and barn animals. 

Thanks for the tips on the bar.