Blog: Vegruary- A month of vegetarianism

dalsingh101

10 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

What about vet costs? 

Vets costs on horses are trimming their feet and putting shoes on. That has to be done after every 7 weeks or so. Then deworming after a year if I'm not mistaken. Then regular checkups etc. it's probably a grand a year for vet costs in total. But if the horse is sick or injured then the cost can go through the roof.

Day 6: 6/2/16

Breakfast: Milky coffee.

Pineapple and cottage cheese with low sugar jam and brazil nuts. Green tea.

Afternoon meal: 3 LM sausages, curly fries and spicy beans. Green Tea.

Evening meal: Yet to decide......

So......just finished training. Been thinking a lot today, mostly scientifically. 

So, I do feel a decrease in strength since turning vege. I don't know how to explain it but I'll try. If you've ever done weights and it comes to a challenging last rep and and you push yourself straining hard and the weight goes up slowly. Well that ain't happening no more. lol I'm also taking longer rests (up to 2 mins if necessary) between sets. I'm not worried at all about any perceived losses because I know I could theoretically eat meat and get them back if I wanted. And I feel good right now. 

I'm quite surprised at how quickly muscle can deflate or feel/look flat on a changed diet. Training was cool today, but I didn't get the 'pump' I might have got before. What I was thinking about was how animal meat is probably closest to the substance that makes our own muscles, so it will quickly breakdown in our bodies and provide the required nutrients (well amino acids) for growth and repair. It obviously isn't the only rich protein source because whey protein, which I believe is derived from milk, is  also highly effective. But what about all these nuts that I'm eating and all the protein rich cottage cheese? First thing is that any chain of amino acids qualifies as a protein. Second is that there are about 20 different recognised amino acids. Maybe meat has a wider profile of them? Or just has the particular combination closest to those that make up our muscles? 

But where does all the extra aggression and stamina I got from the meat diet come from then? Was it creatine content of the meat that was also increasing performance? Interesting questions. 

I'm educated enough about my people's history to know that meat eating doesn't equate strength and aggression from Banda Singh Bahadur, Baba Deep Singh and in my own life, Sant Jarnail Singh. So I know people can function without it. But I am thinking of how it would certainly be useful in a diet during wartime. Conversely, giving the lightness of mind that I'm experiencing I can also see how excluding meat from ones diet could help with meditative practices. My own simran hasn't drastically changed right now, and I'm not going to speak about it until maybe the end - because I like to keep that thing personal. 

I'm realising I need to eat a whole lot more now too. I'm not eating as much as I normally do right now. Fridge is conking out making storing food tricky. 

This is all very interesting to me, and I am very excited and interested in seeing how much I can push myself over the next few weeks. Just hope I don't get into a fight in meanwhile. lol

@Singh123456777

Singh, how much do you curl on preacher bench and how much do you shoulder press (with dumb bells)? If you don't feel like answering, don't sweat it bro. I'm not some sort of arnie, just an older man trying to keep in shape. lol

11 minutes ago, Singh123456777 said:

Bro do you take creatine? Or BCAA's?

I don't right now. Man is on a budget and that and I'm enjoying the pure natural vibe right now.  lol

I think creatine might help though and will get some when circumstances permit. I've never tried BCAAs - have you/are you trying them? Any feedback?

18 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

I don't right now. Man is on a budget and that and I'm enjoying the pure natural vibe right now.  lol

I think creatine might help though and will get some when circumstances permit. I've never tried BCAAs - have you/are you trying them? Any feedback?

I notice bcaas help me recover little bit better. If your thinking of getting bcaas get the unflavoured ones. That way you can mix it with protein whey without the flavours mixing. 

The supplements I use are protein whey, glutamine, l-carnitine,bcaas and just getting into creatine.

Creatine can make a BIG difference bro. 

Get the monohydrate though, not the other types (ethyl ester or some sh1t). 

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

Creatine can make a BIG difference bro. 

Get the monohydrate though, not the other types (ethyl ester or some sh1t). 

I got creatine mono hydrate. It was a good deal. Buy one creatine monohydrate and get another one free.

The reason why I never used to take it was cause I didn't want to retain water weight.

1 hour ago, Singh123456777 said:

What does your lifting program look like?

I vary things up a bit. So it might be weights one day, calisthenics next. These days I'm less about  pushing weight. When you get older you start thinking about joints and stuff (which you rarely do when younger).

Right now, I'll do simple stuff like seated shoulder press with about 18 KG dumb bells (5 to 7 sets), maybe followed by a slightly lighter barbell shoulder press (3 to 5 sets), standing. 

Might do 5 to 7 sets of preacher bench curls. Start with ten reps on first set which decreases to about 5/6 on last set (maybe lower if tired).  Then do some hammer curls (3 to 5 sets of 10). I used to burn out with some light kettles as well, but haven't in ages. 

Might hit some stiff leg deadlifts. 5 sets increasing weight. Nothing mad heavy though! Did crazy heavy for a while and got sciatica, which went as soon as I stopped over doing it. 

Hit some close grip bench for tris. Then do a super set of tri pushouts with either dips or cable pull downs. 

When I have a spotter the game changes, but when on my own, I don't over do it (and have weight fall on my copri!) lol

What's your routine like. 

Day 7: 7/2/16

So I've reached the 1 week point and it wasn't half as difficult as what I had imagined earlier. My diet is pretty much unvaried at the moment, and I don't mind it. Noticed the amount of carbs I'm eating has gone up compared to usual. Still feeling good. I feel slimmer (not that I was fat in the first place though!) 

Earlier today I went out to town and was going to grab a vegetable pasty from Percy Ingles as a treat but then had second thoughts because I'm not sure if it had egg in the ingredients. Noticed off the shelf vegetarian food often has egg in it - got to watch out for that!

I'm also wondering if I should continue the blog as it is likely to become boring and repetitive for readers... lol

Anyway, I'm going to have a little workout now. That's pretty much it for today. 

@dalsingh101... Nah bro keep updating. Im following this blog just not contributing..being lazy..lol.. The only boring bit (which i skip)is your meals, but that's just me.. I'm more interested how you feel physically and mentally..  

I'm a meat eater now but 'ive been strict veg for about 2 years previously.. Alot of what your saying is spot on.. Feeling lighter, tedh going in, loss of aggression (not always a good thing lol) etc.. Whats helping you i feel is that you seem to have a healthy diet, personally when i went veg, i felt like sh1t for a good week.

Were you a heavy meat eater, like did you eat meat everyday? 

Also if your weight training as singh123 has said take whey protein.. i'm not big fan of shakes but saying that im not a weight training person i prefer bag work, push ups, pull ups, planks, sit ups etc..

But yeh bro, keep it up..its interesting an make sure you see it through, i'm surprised you haven't had any cravings. 

3 minutes ago, samurai said:

@dalsingh101... Nah bro keep updating. Im following this blog just not contributing..being lazy..lol.. The only boring bit (which i skip)is your meals, but that's just me.. I'm more interested how you feel physically and mentally..  

Thanks for that. I'm really (pleasantly) surprised at the psychological difference the diet seems to be causing. Didn't expect that at all! I'm not exaggerating when I say I feel like a completely different person. The insomnia I was suffering from recently seems to be clearing up too. I feel INFINITELY fresher when I wake up in the morning as well. 

I'm a meat eater now but 'ive been strict veg for about 2 years previously.. Alot of what your saying is spot on.. Feeling lighter, tedh going in, loss of aggression (not always a good thing lol) etc.. Whats helping you i feel is that you seem to have a healthy diet, personally when i went veg, i felt like sh1t for a good week.

Were you a heavy meat eater, like did you eat meat everyday? 

Yeah, I ate it everyday, most if not all meals. Loved my wings. Curries. Bacon. Quality sausages. Eggs at breakfast. Roast and grill meat. lol

What kind of stuff did you eat when you first tried vege? Didn't know you could get unhealthy veg food?? lol

I just wished I could be arsed to make more exciting meals. Used to love cooking creatively, but can't be arsed now? Strange. Must be getting lazy.

The loss of aggression is a shock and I don't know how I feel about it. It does sort of effect your training. What was it like when you first went back on meat. What changes did you notice? Did your aggression levels quickly shoot up?

Also if your weight training as singh123 has said take whey protein.. i'm not big fan of shakes but saying that im not a weight training person i prefer bag work, push ups, pull ups, planks, sit ups etc..

Good stuff bro! We all need to be training. I'm going to try and get a little more protein powder in. Maybe wait another week or so though so I can see how it effects me. Trying to keep costs down right now as well to be honest, so it's like a luxury.

But yeh bro, keep it up..its interesting an make sure you see it through, i'm surprised you haven't had any cravings. 

Same here! I think I'm focusing on the positive vibrations I'm feeling and that is making me nervous about eating meat, lest I lose it, if that makes sense.

One other thing I learnt from this is that I am more dedicated to what I want to do than I might give myself credit for. I can't see myself not seeing it through, but I'm not under any illusions that I'm incapable of flopping.  

One of the main reasons I started this is because a close relative,who was living with me for a year, moved back to his family home (where they keep maharaj), so he had to go veg. We was eating meat and training hard when he was here and he went from obese to lean and mean in the year. When he moved back home, first he lost even more weight then he actually put weight back on so now he is heavier than when he left here! I was shocked at that. So I wanted to see what would happen to me if I went veg. If you're reading this Bal - I'm onto you geezer!! lol

I can see that you eat veggie meat as part of your diet- do you even feel a difference then from before? Does'nt it taste the same and contain same nutrition etc?

Its very interesting to hear about your loss in anger and aggresiveness. Regarding sattvic diet etc read the Bhagavad Gita, - In one of the last chapters Krishna talks about it in terms of meditation, warfare etc.

13 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Thanks for that. I'm really (pleasantly) surprised at the psychological difference the diet seems to be causing. Didn't expect that at all! I'm not exaggerating when I say I feel like a completely different person. The insomnia I was suffering from recently seems to be clearing up too. I feel INFINITELY fresher when I wake up in the morning as well. 

Yeh, as you loose that 'aggression' you become in calm mode.. That's one big thing i noticed was my sleep, it was quality sleep and when my alarm went off i woke up fresh (didnt need to press that snooze button..lol)..

16 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

What kind of stuff did you eat when you first tried vege? Didn't know you could get unhealthy veg food?? lol

I dont think veg food is unhealthy i just made it so lol..basically in all the desi food i had, i put tripple butter in/on everything lol..becasue of that 'not feeling full up' feeling....but that passed after about 2 weeks or so.. i think your getting that 'full up' feel with your increase in carbs but i always had high carb intake because of my training.. main meals i had were pasta, lasagne and obviously roti sabji..

27 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

What was it like when you first went back on meat. What changes did you notice? Did your aggression levels quickly shoot up?

I didnt go straight into eating meat hardcore.. i first introduced eggs in diet then slowly started eating meat once a week so on an so forth.. you defo start feeling 'heat' in the body which gives you that friendly 'aggression'..lol 

One thing i noticed when observing others that went to veg diet is that they started eating sh1t loads...a friend of mine went from 3 non veg meals a day to 6 veg meals a day..

It would also be good if you could share what others say about you, if they see any difference in you..alot of people would always say "whats wrong are you ok?" because i was less boisterous then usual lol..