Blog: Vegruary- A month of vegetarianism

dalsingh101

21 minutes ago, Ragmaala said:

So I have been having all these good effects like calmer, fresher, good sleep all these years without even realizing them ?  

Nice.

haha.. yeh brother people like us are crawling out the gutter.lol

A lot of people born in sikhi practice, tend to look down at people trying to do good (get into sikhi)...its refreshing with the likes of yourself not being judgmental...kudos

Just now, samurai said:

haha.. yeh brother people like us are crawling out the gutter.lol

A lot of people born in sikhi practice, tend to look down at people trying to do good (get into sikhi)...its refreshing with the likes of yourself not being judgmental...kudos

bro I love everyone...the only way to conquer others is through love... and the way to God is also love....

if you have no love...no matter how much bhagti you do ..it will be always dry.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji says  Jin prem kiyo tin hi prabh payo...

Huh, what a coincidence--I actually went vegetarian for a month three years ago, that too in February (my motive was that it was the smallest month...lol)

My observations were namely that:

-Even though I generally ate healthy vegetarian food, my tidh actually got a bit flabbier

-I was in conditioning for a sport at the time (rowing) and I always noted a lot less strength

-I didn't have any cravings, which is surprising given how much meat I eat (i.e., I generally eat it daily 2-3 times a day). 

-I do think I felt lighter and "fresher" the first couple of days...not sure if it lasted the whole month

-My breath certainly felt lighter, if that makes sense.

From a scientific perspective re: the amino acids, you're spot-on. Meat and eggs contain all the 9 essential amino acids your body needs; vegetables all carry just a few of the 9, so you need to target a wide spread of veggies in order to get the same variety of amino acids meat would give you.

Really interesting regarding the aggression though. You're right in that there were tons of Sikh warriors who went without meat; and in addition, I think it's worth pointing out that regularly eating meat really wasn't a thing for most Sikhs in the pind until a generation ago (misl time I'm sure was different). My father wasn't vegetarian, but they could only afford to eat chicken once a month. Didn't stop people from acting aggressive and getting into fights though, lol. 

On February 7, 2016 at 7:25 PM, dalsingh101 said:

I vary things up a bit. So it might be weights one day, calisthenics next. These days I'm less about  pushing weight. When you get older you start thinking about joints and stuff (which you rarely do when younger).

Right now, I'll do simple stuff like seated shoulder press with about 18 KG dumb bells (5 to 7 sets), maybe followed by a slightly lighter barbell shoulder press (3 to 5 sets), standing. 

Might do 5 to 7 sets of preacher bench curls. Start with ten reps on first set which decreases to about 5/6 on last set (maybe lower if tired).  Then do some hammer curls (3 to 5 sets of 10). I used to burn out with some light kettles as well, but haven't in ages. 

Might hit some stiff leg deadlifts. 5 sets increasing weight. Nothing mad heavy though! Did crazy heavy for a while and got sciatica, which went as soon as I stopped over doing it. 

Hit some close grip bench for tris. Then do a super set of tri pushouts with either dips or cable pull downs. 

When I have a spotter the game changes, but when on my own, I don't over do it (and have weight fall on my copri!) lol

What's your routine like. 

Damn that's good man! How old are you?

My routine is Sunday,Tuesday,Thursday is squats,bench press, barbell overhead press(except one day in this routine I do dumbbell overhead press instead), barbell rows(one day i do one arm rows with a dumbbell), deadlifts, barbell curls, skullcrushers and calf raises. On Friday I do only arm workouts so stuff like barbell curls, dumbell curls, skullcrushers, I think they are called French press or french curl? I'm not to sure and beached curl with ez curl bar. Some days I have to miss. Like today I had to miss cause i was out the whole day.

On Monday,Tuesday I do Muay Thai in the morning. On Wednesday I do Muay Thai in the morning and sparring at night. On Thursday I might be tired but I usual go do boxing. On Friday I do Muay thai and try to spar at night.

Since November I have been trying to lose weight. November to December I lost 10 pounds. December to January I lost zero cause of overeating and not exercising. January to February I lost 6 and a half pounds. At the start I was 195 now I'm 179 or 180. I Hopefully can lose 5 pounds before the 23rd of February.

12 minutes ago, samurai said:

@Singh123456777....bro your training regime is militant..respect.. i'm also trained in muay thai..if you dont mind me asking.. in your normal muay thai session what do you do?? if you can veereh explain everything..also is sparring full blow?

Well at the start of the session we do skipping. We do three rounds of skipping and in between rounds we do burpees. After skipping we do brutal conditioning and warm ups. So the warmup consists of a lot of push-ups, spring ups, squats, burpees, and other bodyweight workouts. We also do stuff like suicides, sprints etc. After that we wrap our hands and shadow box for 2-3 rounds. After shadow boxing we either hit the pads and work on technique or we hit the Muay thai bag depending on the amount of people at the session. Sometimes we do really light sparring with shin guards etc. In the middle of the rounds of either hitting the bag or pads the striker probably has to do burpees or push ups. The padholder probably has to do squats or spring ups. After the bag or pad work we do some killer conditioning such as 100 hard kicks,100 quick kicks etc. We utilize proper technique otherwise if we don't we get hit in the stomach lol. Then we do a lot of ab work. Then we finish up. This is sort of what we do. This session is for all levels such as for beginners to advance. There are other sessions which have intermediate students and advanced students only. I'm an intermediate student so I can train in any class. I also do separate clinch and sparring sessions at night or after the regular all levels class. 

Im going to India so I won't be able to train for about a month. When I come back from India in April I might train for a fight that will happen in june. It will be most likely a 6 to 8 week training camp. It will be my first fight but only will happen if I feel up to it after I come back from India.

What is your favourite Muay Thai equipment brand? Mine is fairtex!

24 minutes ago, Ragmaala said:

Is too late to start training at 29 lol

but yes. Respect!!!!!

Never to late veer Ji! There is a guy I know who is 53 and he is training! He started training when he was 51. So you can guarantee join. But if your ever gonna join just tell me what gym you are planning to go to. Some gyms are total crap and there are few in Brampton that are crap and its no point in joining a crappy gym cause you learn bad habits and stuff. If you ever want to train Singh I'm available after April when I come back from India.

2 minutes ago, Singh123456777 said:

Never to late veer Ji! There is a guy I know who is 53 and he is training! He started training when he was 51. So you can guarantee join. But if your ever gonna join just tell me what gym you are planning to go to. Some gyms are total crap and there are few in Brampton that are crap and its no point in joining a crappy gym cause you learn bad habits and stuff. If you ever want to train Singh I'm available after April when I come back from India.

Will let you know.

6 hours ago, Ragmaala said:

but yes. Respect!!!!!

Not AT ALL brother. It is the perfect time. 

If you start now, your gains will be mad. 

These days people are looking at their best in their 40s anyway. 

Invest in some basic equipment at home. Get yourself a £100 budget for it. 

Damn that's good man! How old are you?

Early 40s.

I used to weight train similar to you a couple of years ago. Want to get back to that. Do you have a spotter when you train? I think this makes a BIG difference. 

Your Muay Thai training seems mad! Want to get back into that type of stuff myself. When I was younger I could easily kick above my head. Now, kicking above the waist line is challenging.... lol  

Seeing your routine has inspired me a bit. 

BTW, do you have a tractor and combine harvester? 

9 hours ago, Ragmaala said:

but yes. Respect!!!!!

It is a bit late, if your aim is to bench 500-700 lbs or dead lift 800-1000 lbs. If you just want to train/become stronger, 29 is still young man. You can keep training till 60 or so brother. 

Bhul chuk maaf

3 minutes ago, paapiman said:

It is a bit late, if your aim is to bench 500-700 lbs or dead lift 800-1000 lbs. If you just want to train/become stronger, 29 is still young man. You can keep training till 60 or so brother. 

Bhul chuk maaf

What an idiot. 

How is it too late?

Fauja Singh started training for marathons after he was in his 80s or something. 

Talk about bringing someone down. 

1 minute ago, dalsingh101 said:

Fauja Singh started training for marathons after he was in his 80s or something. 

Talk about bringing someone down. 

Bro, marathon is kind of different from lifting very heavy weights. A person progresses very slowly in bench pressing, especially after 400 lbs. Even shoulder presses, after 300 lbs, requires time to improve.

Bhul chuk maaf

1 hour ago, paapiman said:

k...boss

Bhul chuk maaf

Look I'm no boss. But next time don't even inadvertently discourage any brother from training. 

Let's leave it at that.  

3 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Early 40s.

I used to weight train similar to you a couple of years ago. Want to get back to that. Do you have a spotter when you train? I think this makes a BIG difference. 

Your Muay Thai training seems mad! Want to get back into that type of stuff myself. When I was younger I could easily kick above my head. Now, kicking above the waist line is challenging.... lol  

Seeing your routine has inspired me a bit. 

BTW, do you have a tractor and combine harvester? 

Nah man I don't train with a spotter. If I fail I have to do the roll of shame when I fail on bench press lol. For sqauts I have safety bars I can put the bar down on if I have to fail. 

The trick to kicking high is to keep your legs loose and limber. Also stretching helps immensely. Basic leg stretches go a long way.

I have a tractor but not a combine harvester. Those things are expensive if you want to buy them new. We just get somebody who owns a combine to just come and harvest the fields and we pay them how much they did which roughly amounts to 700 bucks. Now that we are gonna plant alfalfa we don't need a combine harvester to come and harvest it. We can do that ourselves with a tractor and a hay mower attachment.

@Singh123456777... I use fairtex aswell, but they are a bit on the expensive side. Your training indicates that your going to a proper muay thai gym. Even in london (uk) theres a lot of micky mouse gyms, as you say you pick up bad habits. My training was similar. 3 mins skipping followed by burpees, press ups, dorsal raise, dips squats, 25 teeps, kick,s punchs, hooks, eldows knees, x 5.. Then shadow followed by technique pad work or bag work and end with light sparing. Friday was main sparing where you had to bring your A game..lol. I stopped going gym but do same training at home..But i miss sparring, this is where you really learn about yourself..I prob start mma soon, but just getting my fitness up cos dont wanna pay for session just to work on fitness.

@Ragmaala.. Its never too late bro (for anything), all i would advise is don't rush things and as you get older warm up and warm down is very important, listen to your body..Im sure dalsingh and singh123 can give you plan according to your goal/aim. But all i would say is just start now..like now..lol Just start with push ups sit ups dips squats (costs nothing, you can do in your room)

1 hour ago, samurai said:

@Singh123456777... I use fairtex aswell, but they are a bit on the expensive side. Your training indicates that your going to a proper muay thai gym. Even in london (uk) theres a lot of micky mouse gyms, as you say you pick up bad habits. My training was similar. 3 mins skipping followed by burpees, press ups, dorsal raise, dips squats, 25 teeps, kick,s punchs, hooks, eldows knees, x 5.. Then shadow followed by technique pad work or bag work and end with light sparing. Friday was main sparing where you had to bring your A game..lol. I stopped going gym but do same training at home..But i miss sparring, this is where you really learn about yourself..I prob start mma soon, but just getting my fitness up cos dont wanna pay for session just to work on fitness.

@Ragmaala.. Its never too late bro (for anything), all i would advise is don't rush things and as you get older warm up and warm down is very important, listen to your body..Im sure dalsingh and singh123 can give you plan according to your goal/aim. But all i would say is just start now..like now..lol Just start with push ups sit ups dips squats (costs nothing, you can do in your room)

Sparring separates the Cubs from the lions lol. When your sparring you have to be ready to kick ass or get your ass kicked!

Anyway, when I started going to the gym, I noticed the complete opposite. There were a ton of absolutely shredded South Indians and the like hammering it out there--all in their late 30s or 40s, and it seemed like they had started working out recently. Meanwhile, most Punjabis seem to go from being buff gabroos and patla mutiyaaran to being fat-ass uncles and aunties. My parents' South Indian/Delhiites friends would go on hikes to actually hike, their Punjabi friends would go on hikes to sit down under the shade and eat Paronthe. My grandfather was an absolute beast in his youth (so much he was renamed for his athletic prowess) but now he's lazy and doesn't even want to walk or bike anymore. 

For some reason, apne mentality seems to be "work-out to look good in your youth, and don't worry about it afterwards because you're going to die eventually." It's honestly an absolute shameful and pathetic mentality. One should pursue fitness for its other massive benefits. Baba Deep Singh was able to step out of copying Guru Granth Sahib birs to picking up a massive Khanda and leading on the battlefield--THAT should be our inspiration, not the Punjab policeman with a tidh as big as his lathi.

Absolutely!

Look at this guy too. He's over 50, has had open heart surgery and can still push more than most young-ass gubroos:

Day 8: 8/2/16

Just finished a bit of weight training. Feeling good. Had a few epiphanies earlier. 

I could do SO MUCH better with my diet in terms of variety. But laziness has crept in. I need to get a wider range of nutrients in - get my stir frys on. 

I would say, thus far, this new diet seems to have had an effect of making me more positive somehow? I have no idea how. Yes, certain gains have been lost but....but it is only early days and I know I'm not eating as much and as varied as I need to. It's like someone said in a video I posted earlier, because vegs are less nutrient dense than meat, you have to have a very high volume to compensate. I need to balance things out, and these things don't happen overnight. 

Going back to this. 

Baba Deep Singh was able to step out of copying Guru Granth Sahib birs to picking up a massive Khanda and leading on the battlefield--THAT should be our inspiration, not the Punjab policeman with a tidh as big as his lathi.

When you look at it, there were PLENTY of people who would be considered pensioners today who were in the thick of battle. Sham Singh Attari, Akali Phoola Singh, so how our people are going on today doesn't reflect what our ancestors were doing not long ago (in terms of physical activity). I think this and the next generation need to finally nail the lid on the coffin of the image of a kudhoo ass, pot bellied, middle aged sardar (no offence to anyone!)

I can see that you eat veggie meat as part of your diet- do you even feel a difference then from before? Does'nt it taste the same and contain same nutrition etc?

The only thing I've eaten along those lines are those LM sausages. I'm wary of soya based stuff, and everything else I saw in the supermarket seemed to have egg in it. Those sausages are really good macro wise, specifically they are (per 100g):

Carbs: 8.3g

Fat 8.8g

Protein: 22.5g

So if you eat 3, you'll be getting 30 odd grams of protein. 

These ones can actually taste really good if done right. Earlier today I made some, chopped them up and threw them in some ragu sauce with mushrooms. It was lovely (if a bit acidic).  

Another thing I learnt is that meat eating can cause the acidity levels of your body to rise up. Maybe part of the reason for feeling better is because my body is now becoming more neutral/alkaline? 

Going to eat roti, brown dal with rajma and karela. Planning to eat 2 rotis but am scared it will become 3.