Blog: Vegruary- A month of vegetarianism

dalsingh101

@dalsingh101.. i would also recommend soya burgers from holland and barret, they actually taste good..

Im glad you started this blog as i was thinking today to start a veg diet aswell, the benefits of veg diet do outweigh the benefits of non veg diet. I actually started the year with veg diet but ate eggs and only started eating meat a couple of weeks ago as i was going back into training. So, as of now, i'm joining you bro...lol.. 

Also dalsingh have you ever fasted or thought about it??. i fast every now and again, usually for 1 or 2 days... 

Day 9: 9/2/16

Nothing major to report. Haven't eaten much today. I have to say, my appetite seems to be diminishing on this diet? Plus, I need to stock up too (probably the real reason). Need to make meals and have them ready. Any suggestions folks? 

My fridge went on the blink, so I had to throw a bunch of stuff out.... lol 

Got a call from an old friend in the middle of training. I normally don't answer the phone, but I did this time, and talked for about 10 minutes. I hate when that happens because it sort of messes up my mindset for the rest of the session.

Still feeling chill. 

23 hours ago, samurai said:

@dalsingh101.. i would also recommend soya burgers from holland and barret, they actually taste good..

Im glad you started this blog as i was thinking today to start a veg diet aswell, the benefits of veg diet do outweigh the benefits of non veg diet. I actually started the year with veg diet but ate eggs and only started eating meat a couple of weeks ago as i was going back into training. So, as of now, i'm joining you bro...lol.. 

Also dalsingh have you ever fasted or thought about it??. i fast every now and again, usually for 1 or 2 days... 

As I said before, I'm slightly wary of soya, but I might give it a try. Good luck with your veg journey bro. Right now I'm not even going to think about what I'm going to do at the end of the month: will cross that bridge when it comes!

I have fasted occasionally. Not for more than a day though. I'd do it if I felt I was getting kudhoo, but right now, I don't have that issue. 

Actually picked up some 'Nut Cutlets' from Aldis, which are like burgers. I've never tried them before. Per burger is:

Carbs: 18g

Fat: 20g (of which 1.8g are saturated) 

Protein: 7.3g

They are made out of vegetables, peanuts, hazlenuts and almonds. Going to try some now. I'm hungry. Catch you all later!

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

Day 9: 9/2/16

Nothing major to report. Haven't eaten much today. I have to say, my appetite seems to be diminishing on this diet? Plus, I need to stock up too (probably the real reason). Need to make meals and have them ready. Any suggestions folks? 

get the wife to make you some nutritious meals ?

9 minutes ago, Ragmaala said:

get the wife to make you some nutritious meals ?

Ha ha ha!

What if she's a shit cook? 

So I think I will just post in this thread, since its quite hot.  lol.

I know rotis cause fatness. But I cannot live without them, if I dont eat it I feel fatigued. But at the same time, its causing me a tummy. I also want a lean shredded look.

So what are the things that I can eat to replace roti but give me the same energy ?   I guess I can buy some whole wheat flour & give that a go.  Some people also suggest sweet potato mash to go with sabji. And quinoa instead of white rice.   I will look up some recipes for quinoa.I need to get healthy, need some abs lol,  gotta replace these paraunthes & rotias.

Watch when I buy whole wheat atta, my moms gonna be like  a sakhat atta kinne khana hai lol

And I should also make it 5 meals a day right. I will post more stuff here regarding my meal plan too in coming days.

Day 10: 10/2/16

I did it!

I got off my arse and bought a bunch of vegetables earlier today, and after I finished a little training this evening I made a veg stir-fry (never made a veg one before), had this with a little desi style rice i.e. with jeera, onion and muttarh. The stir-fry (incase anyone is remotely interested - skip to next paragraph if not) had carrots, broccoli, chestnut 'shrooms, green beans, onion, red pepper, green pepper, courgettes, sesame seeds and was flavoured with some soy sauce and Schwartz Thai 7 Spice. I added cashew nuts to it and this really improved it BIG TIME (need to add more next time). Finished it with green tea. I got to say, people (especially those trying to lose weight) should make it a habit of drinking green cha straight after every meal. 

Physically, I'm losing muscle mass at the moment. Like I've said a few times now, I don't mind, I'm seeing bulking up with vegs as a challenge. For all you brothers who manage to get muscular on a veg diet - maximum respect - I salute you!

Have to say, today feels like the first day that I ate decently most of the day. 

I know rotis cause fatness. But I cannot live without them, if I dont eat it I feel fatigued. But at the same time, its causing me a tummy. I also want a lean shredded look

How many do you eat? Maybe you could get away with 2, anything over is asking for trouble. Better you experiment with your diet and find what works for you best! I noticed my tidh is beginning to get a tad 'loose' as well. For me, that is the stimulus for me to now focus on it a little extra, so it doesn't become a jaloos. Planning a longish core focused workout for tomorrow as a consequence. 

Watch when I buy whole wheat atta, my moms gonna be like  a sakhat atta kinne khana hai lol

You should reply: Bheybhay! Main khana, tusi menu ahmay na mota banow! I tell you what though, you've really highlighted how important it is to have control over what we eat. If we rely on someone else and they are a bit clueless - we'll suffer! I've never had a problem with it myself but I've heard some brothers complain that their parents/wives got upset when they tried to eat their own diet instead of the family standard. If they do that, just tell them: "Tu shut up ho ja!" 

See this from 2.30 onwards. 

Thanks bro, just to add i'm keeping eggs in diet just no meat... Im not putting time scale on it,i may last 1 week, 1month or 1 year just taking it day by day. 

Cool, let us know what you experience (physically and mentally) along your journey. 

Peace!

8 hours ago, Ragmaala said:

Lol i eat 2 paraunthi breakfast  1 paraunthi brunch 2 roti lunch. 2. Roti dinner.

total 6 to 7 rotis lol.  I m so addicted...

no wonder tidhi is out ...

That's asking for trouble....

@dalsingh101.. I will keep you updated here and there as do not want to overshadow your blog. I kind of know what to expect just paying a lot more attention to it. 4th day in and this morning when i woke up i felt fresher and did not have that grogy feeling. Also feel lighter and have that 'floating in the air' type of feeling when walking around. I could not train last few days as i had that 'weak feeling', just felt too demotivated to train. But today feel more up for it and will take a pre-sup before training, i do not normally take these sups but feel i need that little energy boost. I'm predicting my bag work is going to have less power but i will be faster. Im also making effort to not eat too much as this tends to happen to me with veg diet, ill keep my self to 3 meals and snack on almonds and fruit.

13 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Physically, I'm losing muscle mass at the moment. Like I've said a few times now, I don't mind, I'm seeing bulking up with vegs as a challenge. For all you brothers who manage to get muscular on a veg diet - maximum respect - I salute you!

From my personal experience those who train for muscle mass on veg diet have a high protein shake intake. 

@Ragmaala.. have you heard of eat like a king in the morning, prince at lunch and begger at dinner..

As your eating loads of carbs try not having roti at all for dinner (if this is really difficult just have 1 or maybe just half )

Day 11: 11/2/16

I am freezing! Today was weird: nice and sunny in the day, ice box in the evening.

I felt a bit rough this morning (worse morning since starting on the veg diet), and struggled to get up. I think it was because I ate a lot late last night, not too long before bed (which is never a good idea). Work up to some weird dream too - can't remember what it was (and probably don't want to!) before anyone asks. Will be careful to avoid eating like that again in future. 

Still keeping it veg. Haven't eaten loads today and have decided on an early night. Not training because I'm going conserve energy to deal with the cold (not putting on heating as gas bill has been hefty lately), but will make up for it tomorrow with an extra long session. 

@samurai

Don't worry about 'overshadowing' the blog. It's all about sharing experiences! 

I've toyed with the idea of a preworkout supp too. What will you be taking? I took one called Grenade a year or so back. It had me so hyped and pushing outside of my norm range I was seriously shocked. It was like some super power potion. It had me pushing reps like I never imagined I could or would. lol

I think those kind of things should be used sparingly; to get you started on a routine. Best not to become dependent on them. I notice a lot of Youtube fitness guys have their own brands now (Chris Jones, Hodge Twins).  Might try Chris Jones one day. Wouldn't mind some creatine though.

@Ragmaala

Yep, you have to adapt to your body's changes. Metabolism starts to slow down and you have to adapt your diet and training to balance this out. I think a poor understanding of this is one of the main causes of the legendary middle age Panjabi tidh spread. People don't know and just carry on eating like they always have. 

That's why you training right now is THE very best thing for you!

That being said, I was so tired and cold earlier that I just had a small plate of curly fries.......

It was only a small plate though. I wasn't taking the pishaab. 

I hear you about the rotian too bro. Many times when I've planned to eat just two with some chicken curry or something, I've enjoyed it so much I go for the third. 

Carbs are dodgy like that. You can eat loads and still not feel full. Got to be careful.  

Anyways. Till tomorrow. 

Day 12: 12/2/16

Today I craved...no, crave is too strong a word....I remembered..... meat fondly.

It was chicken wings to be specific.

Still up on my diet. Made some boiled milk with crush almonds, pista and pumpkin seeds in it as a protein source.

Just finished a little bis and tris workout. Feeling okay, looking forward to a relaxing Friday evening.

I used to try and get a little training in everyday, but was wondering if I should make it every other day whilst on this diet; to allow for recovery? Who am I kidding, I want to try and get something done, no matter how little, every day. I look forward to training, I do it on my own mostly and I feel very comfortable doing it. It's like ME time - even if it's a really shit session.  

Nothing else to really report really. So I'll sign off here.

Take care folks, and watch that waistline!

1242453653664-punjab%20police.jpg 

I trained on Thursday and yesterday (fri) i felt tired, which was expected but late afternoon my body just went shutdown, i literally was on my bed lying on stomach and did not move from that position for good hour. i wasn't asleep, more in like meditative mode (im not a nap type of person).. 

Last night had cousins over who decided to bring nandos for dinner, i just told them i was on veg diet and made my own food. @dalsingh101 yeh its not craving, though i felt like having it, its just memories of how good it tastes..lol and the smell hhmm..lol

Generally speaking, I've noticed that when you tell people you are going on a veg diet for religious/spiritual reasons they tend to give a negative response. However if you say i'm going on a veg diet to loose weight, the same people become encouraging and positive.lol

Dalsingh101, as you work different body parts it makes sense for you to work out everyday, although i think one day a week complete rest is beneficial too.. your call..keep it up!!

37 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

I noticed that too. Because of such things I've come to  personally believe in keeping your religious practices to yourself as much as possible. More often than not, talking about it seems to cheapen it. I find people in general can react quite unpredictably to disclosures of religious practices. Plus it's none of their business as well to be honest. I don't expect people to understand. It's the same with meditation: tell people you do it for spiritual practices - they raise their eyebrows. Tell them that you do it for psychological/health purposes and they are more receptive to it. Strange that. 

I agree with you here. i do not share meditation experience as i feel its very personal and its like a big kept secret within my own being. also the little gyan i have ill only share it with someone who i feel will appreciate it and use it. Theres a fine line between trying to help someone and expressing your ego.

Holy hell I have been eating like shit for the last couple of days. I feel like crap as well. Gotta just chill out on the food for a few days.

Im trying to lose about 3 pounds in a week and a half. I have a goal of 177 pounds by feb 23. Right now I'm 180 and I gurantee can lose that much weight only if I don't binge like a fat ass. I need some restraints lol!

14 minutes ago, Singh123456777 said:

Holy hell I have been eating like shit for the last couple of days. I feel like crap as well. Gotta just chill out on the food for a few days.

Im trying to lose about 3 pounds in a week and a half. I have a goal of 177 pounds by feb 23. Right now I'm 180 and I gurantee can lose that much weight only if I don't binge like a fat ass. I need some restraints lol!

Y u cutting....for a fight?

if u go to India u gonna gain weight