Sri Charitropakhyan Sahib jee Series - Charitar #6

paapiman

8 minutes ago, amardeep said:

Cool I did'n know that this was the case.

Some of the charitras have been appened to the Zafarnama in Persian translation. It would be interesting also to see if the "morale" of these persian charitras are reflected in the message and subtle attacks the Guru makes on Aurangzeb.

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Hikayat

I might be wrong. 

• 1 year later...

This tale has a similarity with the base story. The Jatt is refereed to as ਗਵਾਰ (see the verse below), which could mean uneducated. Due to which, his cheating wife was able to make a fool of him easily. Now, we know from the original tale that Chitarmati purposely kept Hanuwant Singh illiterate. We also know that the King was aware that even though his son had spent an year with the priest (Brahmin), but he still could not communicate. Therefore, the wise minister might be trying to tell the king that an uneducated person can easily become a victim of deceit, thereby implying that your uneducated son has fallen prey to a Charitar and you need to investigate this matter further, rather than make a hasty decision.

ਏਕ ਬਧੂ ਥੀ ਜਾਟ ਕੀ ਦੂਜੇ ਬਰੀ ਗਵਾਰ

Bhul chuk maaf

Two more similarities can be seen with the base tale.

Firstly, the mention of black snake (ਸ੍ਯਾਮ ਭੁਜੰਗ). Scientifically, it is proven that snakes eat their own off-springs. The color black is associated with darkness/evil actions. Maybe the wise minister (by mentioning the black snake) is trying to tell Chitar Singh that your wife is like a black serpent. She is trying to bite you and make you eat (kill) your own off-spring.

Secondly, in both cases, a Brahmin is involved (even though in this case, it is an imaginary one). Maal Mati has given reference to a Brahmin, which has assisted her to play her Charitar. Similarly, in the original tale, the priest (Brahmin) colluded with Chitarmati (which to a certain degree), helped her to play her Charitar. The wise minister might be trying to point Chitar Singh in the right direction that he needs to interrogate the priest and figure out exactly why after one year of your tutelage, my son was still illiterate.

Bhul chuk maaf

On 2/14/2016 at 3:41 PM, chatanga1 said:

I dont know why, but i had some imagery of Shiv Ji when reading this, as Shiv Ji wore black snakes around his death. He is also the god of death/destruction. Also what is interesting is that when Parbati took Durga form, she wouldn't return back to Parvati, and then Shiv Ji lay down in her path and she stepped on him, realising that she had put her foot on her Pati Parmeshwars head and instantly her ferocious form returned to Parvati full of remorse for what she had done.

Good connection bro. The above illustrates the difference between a Pati Varta wife and a lecherous one. Parbati jee was so upset that she stepped on her husband (which is considered as a form of insult), while this lady, Maal Mati, is making someone else (her lover) step over her husband. 

The below verses also prove how much confident she is, that she will eventually insult her husband and make the king exit safely.

ਜਾਟਾਵਤ ਲਖਿ ਨ੍ਰਿਪ ਡਰਿਯੋ ਕਹਿਯੋ ਨ ਡਰਿ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਉ ॥

The peasant’s arrival made the Raja scared, but the woman pacified him,

ਤਿਹ ਦੇਖਤ ਤੁਹਿ ਕਾਢਿ ਹੌ ਤਾ ਕੇ ਸਿਰ ਧਰਿ ਪਾਉ ॥੬॥

‘Be not afraid. While the peasant is still watching, I will make you to cross over by putting your foot on his head.’(6)

Bhul chuk maaf

On 08/10/2017 at 8:32 PM, amardeep said:

Good thing to see you Papiman opening and looking through these old charitars also.. Maybe the earlier charitars start to make new meanings the further you go into later charitars.

I had this thought as well when going through some of the later charitars. I think it is one of those texts where more and more subtleties become apparent as you re-read them.