Jaap of Nitnem

Guest seeker

By the way, I had raised a point some months ago which was snubbed by Amardeep (while he takes the liberty to proclaim all kind of conspiracy theories and nonsense which he wants us to believe, anyways). But Bhai Gurdas mentions Jap Jaap too when he talks about the nitnem of Guru Nanak Dev's time. What could the 'Jaap' be?

Vaar 6, Pauri 3 mentions the daily routine of Sikhs, he gives Sodar and Sohila but for the morning he says 'Jaap', which we logically translate as Japji (for it would be illogical for him to mention Sodar and Sohila but not the morning prayer, this is an assumption). Here are several lines from the Pauri I mentioned so you see the pattern:

Morning he says: ਸਹਜਿ ਸਮਾਧਿ ਅਗਾਧਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਇਕ ਮਨਿ ਹੋਇ ਗੁਰ ਜਾਪੁ ਜਪੰਦੇ।
By putting their mind in the unfathomable God through deep concentration, they remember Guru, the God by reciting Jaapu (Ji)

For evening he says: ਸੰਝੈ ਸੋਦਰੁ ਗਾਵਣਾ ਮਨ ਮੇਲੀ ਕਰਿ ਮੇਲਿ ਮਿਲੰਦੇ।
They sing the Sodar in the evening and heartily associate with one another.

For night they say: ਰਾਤੀ ਕੀਰਤਿ ਸੋਹਿਲਾ ਕਰਿ ਆਰਤੀ ਪਰਸਾਦ ਵੰਡੰਦੇ।
Having recited the Sohila and made supplication at night they distribute sacred food (prasad).

And its repeated in other Vaars too, such as the 1st Vaar, Pauri 38:

ਸੋਦਰੁ ਆਰਤੀ ਗਾਵੀਐ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੇ ਜਾਪੁ ਉਚਾਰਾ।
Sodar and Arati were sung and in the ambrosial hours Jaapu was recited.

I am aware of the fact that some Rehats and books disclude the possibility of Jap Jaap being one thing as they say 'due' (both - such as Desa Singh Rehat if I'm not mistaken) but some could be interpreted in the Jap Jaap way of Bhai Gurdas? I.e. Rehats which don't specify that Jap Jaap are seperate might just refer to Japji as Bhai Gurdas did?

No cognitive dissonance please.

• 3 weeks later...