Thoughts on St John Wort/ Serotonin levels/ 5-HT ?

Ragmaala

3 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

Does anyone have any experience using St Johns Wort. Did it help ?

St Johns wort has a reputation for it's side effects and interactions with other chemicals. I reckon it's better to use 5HTP or tryptophan because you get the inceased serotonin levels AND tryptophan especially, can help with spiritual dhyan and concentration. I've taken both of these on and off in different stamina building regimes with diet, but they should also work if depressed due to serotonin levels being on the 'low' side.

4 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

Does anyone have any experience using St Johns Wort. Did it help ?

No, I've no experience with St Johns Wort but do know the most potent techniques to relax the Nervous tension (which helps in depression). Personally, I've used the first two in my family and perfect results:

1. While the patient is lying on the back, bend all the toes of both legs, backward. Keep those bend for at-least 1-2 minutes. It may hurt but give little more pressure and bend them as much as possible. Repeat this three times a day till the tension is removed.

2. Take Magnesium Citrate (and not magnesium sulphate or any other magnesium xxx). Opt for 100% pure powder and not any other derevative  http://www.amazon.ca/Now-Foods-Magnesium-Citrate-Powder/dp/B004189JCW/

Also, homeopathic bio-chemic salt combination number 16 (a.k.a BC salt # 16) is very effective in treating depression.

1 hour ago, paapiman said:

Bro, who/what is St Johns Wort?

Bhul chuk maaf

younger paaji, ...St john wort is a herbal medicine, but it is also one that has many chemical side-effects and interactions. I remember that back in the UK, (where I am from!), it became famous in mainstream public because it brought to attention to everyone that herbal=natural-->>does not always mean it's safe.  Herbal medicines can still have the same toxic qualities as conventional meds.

Reminds me about something funny because here in BC, you can get marijuana in various forms with a special medical card from your doctor. Saying this, I've heard about a couple of bibian at the gurdwara that were talking about some dhesi dwaa that their doctor has given them a special card for. The bibis were telling the others that these dhesi capsules are in such demand and can be difficult to get and that they are marvelous for their pains....GUESS what ? ..the dhesi capsules are the famous BC-marijuana or bc-bud! LOL!!..........I couldn't stop laughing at the thought  of the bibis being high on cloud 9

54 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Paaji, are there any side effects of the above medicine?

Thanks

Bhul chuk maaf

apnay banday seem to have problems with our digestives, and magnesium salts can usually cause diarrhea for us Punjabis.

9 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

Thanks guys. 

Papiman this is username ragmala. 

How comes you changed your name bro???

50 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

How comes you changed your name bro???

See , ragmala is a name of Gurbani Composition, I felt as if I was doing beadbi..I intially chose it it to remind myself of doing ragmala path.

I think this new username "Gunahgar" is better, because it is supposed to generate Humility (lets c ), and also it is a word from Gurbani pangti gunahgar loon harami..and since you like original Gurmukhi script , here you go

Gunahgār lūṇ harāmī.

Pāhaṇ nāv na pārgiramī. ||3||

a boat of stone will not carry you across. ||3||

Gur mil Nānak ṯẖākur jāṯā.

Meeting the Guru, O Nanak, I know my Lord and Master.

Jal thal mahī▫al pūran biḏẖāṯā. ||4||3||9||

The Perfect Architect of Destiny is pervading and permeating the water, the land and the sky. ||4||3||9||

10 hours ago, Lucky said:

I reckon it's better to use 5HTP or tryptophan because you get the inceased serotonin levels AND tryptophan especially, can help with spiritual dhyan and concentration

I am going to try 5HTP for at least 6 weeks, and then I will let you guys know how it felt.  This is how anti-depressants SSRIs ( selective serotonin receptor inhibitors) work, they increase the level of serotonin in your synapses. But I aint about that life lol. Tryptophan is a precursor for serotonin...so it makes sense. Lets see.

Have you heard they also have discovered a neurotransmitter , which is bliss producing, and they actually named it Anandamite.

10 hours ago, das said:

While the patient is lying on the back, bend all the toes of both legs, backward. Keep those bend for at-least 1-2 minutes. It may hurt but give little more pressure and bend them as much as possible. Repeat this three times a day till the tension is removed.

Thanks for this technique.

9 hours ago, Lucky said:

.I couldn't stop laughing at the thought  of the bibis being high on cloud 9

haha our Bibian are so naive...thats jokes man.

15 minutes ago, Gunahgar said:

See , ragmala is a name of Gurbani Composition, I felt as if I was doing beadbi..I intially chose it it to remind myself of doing ragmala path.

I think this new username "Gunahgar" is better, because it is supposed to generate Humility (lets c ), and also it is a word from Gurbani pangti gunahgar loon harami..and since you like original Gurmukhi script , here you go

Gunahgār lūṇ harāmī.

Pāhaṇ nāv na pārgiramī. ||3||

a boat of stone will not carry you across. ||3||

Gur mil Nānak ṯẖākur jāṯā.

Meeting the Guru, O Nanak, I know my Lord and Master.

Jal thal mahī▫al pūran biḏẖāṯā. ||4||3||9||

The Perfect Architect of Destiny is pervading and permeating the water, the land and the sky. ||4||3||9||

That word (and variants) also comes up in Bhai Gurdas ji's vaars quite a bit too. 

3 minutes ago, paapiman said:

@Gunahgar - You can try the below (Ayurvedic medicine) for depression. It has no side effects.

http://www.swamibabaramdevmedicines.com/divya-medha-vati/Bhul chuk maaf

For now, I will just stick to tryptophan and see how that works. I am not a believer of Avurvedic medicine as much because these guys are not like the veds of ancient times. I am not clinically depressed, I am just looking for something to uplift mood for those rare days, But thanks for your concern, appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, Gunahgar said:

For now, I will just stick to tryptophan and see how that works. I am not a believer of Avurvedic medicine as much because these guys are not like the veds of ancient times. I am not clinically depressed, I am just looking for something to uplift mood for those rare days, But thanks for your concern, appreciate it.

Bro, where will you get tryptophan from?

Bhul chuk maaf

14 hours ago, Lucky said:

apnay banday seem to have problems with our digestives, and magnesium salts can usually cause diarrhea for us Punjabis.

Magnesium Sulfate/Hydroxide(a.k.a Epsom Salts) do cause diarrhea, but NOT the Magnesium Citrate (100% pure powder) unless you intentionally take many tablespoons in one go. Magnesium Citrate is the most widely used form of Magnesium because of its good bioavailability, extensive health benefits: IBS, Heart-diseases, Brain issues, and so on..

Moreover, if you take anything abnormally, you're bound to have its side-effects......e.g if you take excessive amount of water, you would have negative side-effects. Everything has a consequence (positive/negative) in this universe.

At last, do your research properly before taking any medication (including 5HTP or Magnesium or anything else), don't just take it because it is popular. The brand medicines do carry risk for long term. Chalo Raab Rakha.

I would rather take marijuana for depression, at least it's natural and back in Punjab pretty much ghar di kheti. I still remember how much bhang we used to remove and it would grow back like crazy. Here people pay money for that thing Which i used to pluck every other week to keep my backyard clean lol 

But Ragamaala ji, better don't go for medication to relieve your depression. You will have to increase the dosage to get the same benefit, just like sharab and Drugs. All of us are going through this and might have gone through and will go through again and medication should be a last resort, I know your career is that but still lol

24 minutes ago, GurpreetKaur said:

I would rather take marijuana for depression, at least it's natural and back in Punjab pretty much ghar di kheti. I still remember how much bhang we used to remove and it would grow back like crazy. Here people pay money for that thing Which i used to pluck every other week to keep my backyard clean lol 

But Ragamaala ji, better don't go for medication to relieve your depression. You will have to increase the dosage to get the same benefit, just like sharab and Drugs. All of us are going through this and might have gone through and will go through again and medication should be a last resort, I know your career is that but still lol

Appreciate your advise ji,  but lets see, tryptophan is a precursor.  I will use it for 6 weeks only, not anymore, the time it takes to see  effect.  And Lucky ji also recommended it.

I still have to order it on costco btw.  Thanks for reminding  Sri Sri Gurpreet Kaur Ji Maharaj!