ੴ Onkar ਓਅੰਕਾਰ - In Speaking, In Listening, In Meditating

27 minutes ago, Gunahgar said:

How long should you chant for ?

As long as you want, do it all the time. Keep your consciousness fixated on the vibrations.

Kabir ji's mother got upset at him for singing Ram nam all day. He would start early morning and keeping going all day.

If not, at the bare minimum one should do at least 5 minutes or 1 mala.

4 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

That throat singing reminded me of Bhai Avtar Singh ji Raagi haha!

The second tune reminded me of this. I used to practice this mantra a long time ago.

Me too but I liked this version better. But mantra is good. Gotta search raagi ji now, a sikh ragi with throat singing is perfect!!

On 3/8/2016 at 0:11 PM, Gunahgar said:

How do rest of you guys pronounce ਓਅੰਕਾਰ?   ਓ--ਅੰ-------ਕਾਰ     or   ਓੰ   ----ਕਾਰ     ??  @Lucky@Sat1176@N30 S!NGH@chatanga1@dalsingh101@paapiman

Bro, please listen to Bhagat jee (student of Vidya Martand Srimaan108 Sant Gyani Gurbachan Singh jee Khalsa Bhindranwale), who was the Santheya ustad of Bhai Jarnail Singh jee, Gyani Thakur Singh jee and many more Singhs.

http://www.gursevak.com/readsggs

Bhul chuk maaf

3 hours ago, paapiman said:

Bro, please listen to Bhagat jee (student of Vidya Martand Srimaan108 Sant Gyani Gurbachan Singh jee Khalsa Bhindranwale), who was the Santheya ustad of Bhai Jarnail Singh jee, Gyani Thakur Singh jee and many more Singhs.

Bhul chuk maaf

Yes. That's the one I am sticking to for now. I don't have much time left to keep experimenting with different versions for years to find out which is the best one. For beginners like me it is best to stick to the great Gursikhs way who have a good credibility. 

I tried doing ongg... It doesn't work for me and I am going to give it a pass. Only moolmantar and wahe guru mantra are working for me.  Gotta stick to simple basic rules. Mardana started japping  satnam instead of waheguru he started drowning. 

1 hour ago, Gunahgar said:

Mardana started japping  satnam instead of waheguru he started drowning. 

Are you referring to the sakhi, where Maharaaj along with Srimaan Baba Bala jee and Srimaan Baba Mardana jee were walking over a sea?

Baba Mardana jee started doing the Jaap of Sohang (which Maharaaj was reciting). The hukam, to both the Mahapurakhs, was to recite Waheguru. 

Bhul chuk maaf

4 hours ago, paapiman said:

Not good. This dude is not pronouncing ਓ correctly.

ਓ is not pronounced as 'Oh' with ੋ matra.

Rather ਓ is pronounced as "Ow", as in Cow and Wow. It is with the ੌ Aw matra.  ਓ is ਉ with the ੌ matra.

The ੌ matra is composed of ਆ+ਉ. That's why ਓਂ splits into ਆ ਉ ੰ , Aunkar -> Akar, Ukar, *mkar.

1 hour ago, Gunahgar said:

I tried doing ongg... It doesn't work for me and I am going to give it a pass. Only moolmantar and wahe guru mantra are working for me.  Gotta stick to simple basic rules.

Simple basic rule da lagda. This shit is simple and basic lol. You need practice.

Also if you ever are out in public and don't want to b chanting mantras, just remember you can Hum, and cause same vibrations as Onkar, and meditate on those.

13 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

Then why would Guru Sahibs tell us to meditate on Hari Naam and Ram Naam thousands of times in Guru Granth Sahib?

Bro, Waheguru is our Gurmantar, which is given to us by Panj Pyaray, in beej roop. Ram and Hari mantars are incorporated within the Waheguru mantar, which makes it more powerful than both of them.

Bhul chuk maaf

Just now, paapiman said:

Bro, Waheguru is our Gurmantar, which is given to us by Panj Pyaray, in beej roop. Ram and Hari mantars are incorporated within the Waheguru mantar, which makes it more powerful than both of them.

You didn't answer my question.

If "The hukam, to both the Mahapurakhs, was to recite Waheguru."
then why would Guru Sahibs tell us to meditate on Hari Naam and Ram Naam thousands of times in Guru Granth Sahib?

20 minutes ago, paapiman said:

It was a sakhi, where Maharaaj had told them to recite Waheguru. You will have to contextualize it too.

If "The hukam, to both the Mahapurakhs, was to recite Waheguru."
then why would Guru Sahibs tell us to meditate on Hari Naam and Ram Naam thousands of times in Guru Granth Sahib?
Why didn't they tell us to recite waheguru in Guru Granth Sahib?

Let's try to get a better understanding of our history.

This part about Guru Sahib telling them to chant Waheguru is bogus, untrue, made-up.

Guru Sahib tells us to meditate on Hari Naam and Ram Naam, not once but thousands of times in Guru Granth Sahib.

Nowhere in Guru Granth sahib does any Guru ever say to meditate on Waheguru naam. Not even once. It's always Hari naam and Ram naam.

Waheguru naam became popular much later. And it wasn't Guru Sahibs who taught it, rather it was their sikhs like Bhai Gurdas ji and the Bhatts.

It wasn't Guru Sahibs going around telling everyone to praise them and call them Waheguru. It was sikhs themselves praising the guru and calling him Waheguru.

The point is that we should try to develop an accurate view of our history and scriptures.

I don't care what you meditate on, whether you meditate on this naam or that naam. It doesn't matter.

The key is not in the mantra. The key is in the meditation. Put your mind in the right place. Leave all other knowledge and rest in pure awareness.

3 hours ago, BhagatSingh said:

I don't care what you meditate on, whether you meditate on this naam or that naam. It doesn't matter.

The key is not in the mantra. The key is in the meditation. Put your mind in the right place. Leave all other knowledge and rest in pure awareness.

Have to agree with you on this point, however it should also be noted it takes quite some time to be able to master any mantar properly. If you keep jumping from mantra to mantra you will become a master of none. I believe the waheguru mantar became the standard and an attempt to unify the sangat behind a single mantra. Also one will have to stick with one mantar to penetrate the depths of the mind like a grove so the mind automatically becomes focused when that sound is heard. 

Even I question why sohang is frowned upon to be japped in today's time. One has to admit that it is the most natural mantra to sync with the breath as it causes no kinks in breathing. Even waheguru is not smooth and depends on how you pronounce it. There are also references to it in Bhai Gurdas ji's vaars and in SGGS. Yet we Sikhs are quick to substitute any mantra reference with "waheguru" instead. 

I also think the Sikhs are keen to distinguish themselves from other faiths and prefer to use their own mantra unique to sikhi.