ੴ Onkar ਓਅੰਕਾਰ - In Speaking, In Listening, In Meditating

9 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

Yes. That's the one I am sticking to for now. I don't have much time left to keep experimenting with different versions for years to find out which is the best one. 

Are you joining honorable ancestors too? If yes, can I watch it?..:)

5 hours ago, Sat1176 said:

Also one will have to stick with one mantar to penetrate the depths of the mind like a grove so the mind automatically becomes focused when that sound is heard.

This is so true...it can take years or even lifetimes with a single mantra.

Also, remember the mantra is energized first & then given to you.  The only official mantra I have been given is WaheGuru & Moolmantra ( which incorporates Ikoankar & satnam). 

There are many names in Guru Granth Sahib. Sometimes Guru ji says to jap hari, sometimes raam, sometimes allah, gopal, gobind...how will you decide which one to choose. This will create confusion. Your mind will jump from one place to another. This is a very common problem with students in various traditions hindu & sikh. They love to jump from one mantra to another. They think one is more powerful than another.

So the best way is to stick with mantra which was given to you by 5 pyaras, or which was given to you by a Mahapurakh or a Gursikh or with which you have been working for a long time & feel comfortable with.

9 hours ago, Sat1176 said:

Have to agree with you on this point, however it should also be noted it takes quite some time to be able to master any mantar properly. If you keep jumping from mantra to mantra you will become a master of none. 

I agree for the most part. I think this depends on person to person case. But there are some key things that everyone should remember.

Yes most people should stick to a mantra and say it as much as possible. This is in order to make this mantra as familiar (if not more) than your own name. Whenever you see this mantra or hear it, your attention should go to it, even amongst a loud crowd, like one's own name sticks out in noisy places. Having one mantra (or very few mantras) is crucial to get this effect.

However

There are also those people who can do multiple different types of meditation depending on their mood. They will taste amrit no matter which technique they do because they employ the same circuitry to all techniques. I do both. I have a mantra that I know like my my own name and I enjoy doing different types of meditation depending on what I feel like. So I can kind of see how both sides work, still I agree with you that one mantra should be practiced until it becomes as familiar as your own name.

I believe the waheguru mantar became the standard and an attempt to unify the sangat behind a single mantra. Also one will have to stick with one mantar to penetrate the depths of the mind like a grove so the mind automatically becomes focused when that sound is heard.  I also think the Sikhs are keen to distinguish themselves from other faiths and prefer to use their own mantra unique to sikhi.

This is probably it. And I am not against that.
Given what you said, I think we should try to get a better understanding of our history. We can unite behind Waheguru mantra but we should know it didn't come from the Guru's teaching directly. It came from puratan sikhs.

Even I question why sohang is frowned upon to be japped in today's time. One has to admit that it is the most natural mantra to sync with the breath as it causes no kinks in breathing. Even waheguru is not smooth and depends on how you pronounce it. There are also references to it in Bhai Gurdas ji's vaars and in SGGS. Yet we Sikhs are quick to substitute any mantra reference with "waheguru" instead. 

Good point.

4 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

There are many names in Guru Granth Sahib. Sometimes Guru ji says to jap hari, sometimes raam, sometimes allah, gopal, gobind...how will you decide which one to choose.

No this is not the case. Only two names are given as Mantras to Sikhs in Guru Granth Sahib. This is Hari naam and Ram naam.

While Guru sahibs say that Hari has many names and they use those names a lot, they actually do provide two names as mantras as well.

ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮ
ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਣੇ ਦੁਖੁ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਭਵ ਖੰਡਾ ਹੇ ॥
The followers of Hari, merge with the name, Hari, Hari, and in this manner their suffering is eliminated.

ਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਆ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤਾ ਅਤੁਟੁ ਭੰਡਾਰੁ ॥੧॥
The perfect guru has taught and strengthened the name, Hari, in this way he has made the followers of Hari have unbroken states of abundance.

ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ
ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਦਿਨਸੁ ਰਾਤਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਜਾਨੁ ॥
Chanting the name, Ram, day and night, the Gurmukhs know the treasure of Hari.

ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਬੋਲਤ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮਾ ਮਿਲਿ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਤੋਰ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
The followers of Hari chant the name, Shri Ram, and together with the congregation, they move towards Hari.

That said you can have any mantra and associate that with God.

My point is we should know our history. Have a clear understanding of what Gurus taught. They did teach two mantras to their sikhs, these were - Hari naam and Ram naam. The fact that this is not known to Sikhs today, bugs me quite a bit.

And this stuff is basic because there is much more we have to do than just have a mantra. Like the following-

4 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

The only official mantra I have been given is WaheGuru & Moolmantra

Along with building familiarity with the mantra (as much as we are familiar with our own name), another thing you have to do in mantra sadhna is to build an visceral, internal, natural association of that mantra to the Antaryami within. Have that mantra tap deep into the pool that is atma, like how a well reaches the water below ground.

This is key.

And there is still more!

When you are reciting a mantra at any given time, you are trying to calm the mind. This is the basics.

Some of the advanced stuff includes -

• Learning to listen to the resting Aunkar/Shankh/Flute
  • Merging with the mantra or breath
  • Flooding the body with attention so that all all organs can be felt to some degree
  • Making the body shape a fuzzy cloud
  • Taking attention away from the body so that you feel like you don't have a body
  • Moving your locus of attention, your "eye" to various parts of the body
  • Moving your locus of attention outside of the body

etc etc
All the way to the experience of Hari

39 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

This is probably it. And I am not against that.
Given what you said, I think we should try to get a better understanding of our history. We can unite behind Waheguru mantra but we should know it didn't come from the Guru's teaching directly. It came from puratan sikhs.

I wouldn't be so quick to say it wasn't around during gurus times.

Bhai Gurdas ji states quite clearly. 

vaahiguroo guroo mantar hai jap houmai(n) khoee||

So that would imply it was around during Guru Arjan Dev ji's time. Mantras were generally imparted from teacher to student in private and kept secret. If that was still prevalent during gurus times then it could explain why Waheguru does not occur so many times in SGGS. 

1 hour ago, Sat1176 said:

I wouldn't be so quick to say it wasn't around during gurus times.

Let me clarify. I didn't say it wasn't around during Gurus times. I said it didn't come from Guru's teachings directly.

I would say that Wahe Guru has been there since the existence of the very first guru in India. It is captured in ancient phrases such as Satye Guru, Pooran Guru, Guru Dev, etc.

However Waheguru mantra, as something you recite, seems to have come much more recently.

Bhai Gurdas ji states quite clearly. 

vaahiguroo guroo mantar hai jap houmai(n) khoee||

So that would imply it was around during Guru Arjan Dev ji's time. Mantras were generally passed imparted from teacher to student in private and kept secret. If that was still prevalent during gurus times then it could explain why Waheguru does not occur so many times in SGGS.

I don't think the Guru Sahibs were keeping it a secret. I think they quite clearly gave their mantras in Guru Granth Sahib - Hari Naam and Ram Naam. Why would they give one in public and another one in private. It doesn't fit.

ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮ
ਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇਆ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤਾ ਅਤੁਟੁ ਭੰਡਾਰੁ ॥੧॥
The perfect guru has taught and strengthened the name, Hari, in this way he has made the followers of Hari have unbroken states of abundance.

ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ
ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਦਿਨਸੁ ਰਾਤਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਜਾਨੁ ॥
Chanting the name, Ram, day and night, the Gurmukhs know the treasure of Hari.

(These are also referred to as Gurmantra in Guru Granth Sahib.)

So if the Gurus taught Waheguru mantra, they would have mentioned "Waheguru naam" in their bani, similar to above examples of Hari naam and Ram naam.

But they don't.

Not even once.

So if Guru Sahibs never taught Waheguru mantra, then what is Bhai Gurdas ji going on about?
Below is a response to Amardeep in a previous discussion regarding this shabad of Bhai Gurdas ji.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਹੈ ਜਪਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਖੋਈ।

But it's good that you brought it up, that one [vaar of Bhai Gurdas ji] is translated incorrectly in popular translations.

So here are further thoughts on that.

AFAIK Guru Sahib never gave anyone a "waheguru" mantar. Gurmantar means, the mantar that is given to you by the Guru, himself, in person. This mantar is usually shared by the Guru himself.

e.g. Guru Ram Das ji's was - "Hari Hari..." - ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਸੁ ਊਤਮੁ ਲੈ ਲਾਹਾ ਹਰਿ ਮਨਿ ਹਸੀਐ ॥
That was given to him by Guru Amar Das ji, who also chanted it.

Sant Kabir ji got the mantar "Ram, Ram" from his Guru, Guru Ramanand ji, who used to chant "Ram, Ram"

So my current understanding is that Bhai Gurdas ji is saying that "the wonderful Guru gave you a mantar. Chant that mantar and follow the teachings that he gave you."

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਹੈ ਜਪਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਖੋਈ।
After chanting the gurmantra given by the wonderous Guru sahib, your sense of self is lost.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਹੈ  -> ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦਾ ਗੁਰਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਹੈ.

ਜੇਹੜਾ ਵਾਹੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਨੇ ਗੁਰਮੰਤਰ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਦਾ ਜਾਪ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਹਉਮੈ ਗਵਾ ਦਿੱਤੀ

This is similar to for example -

ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਬਾਣੀ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਹੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਜੇਵਡੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥
Wow, the speech/bani of Nirankar is just wow, there is no one like him!

Here the popular english translations get it right but most people incorrectly translate it as "Bani is Nirankar", instead of "Bani of Nirankar".

ਬਾਣੀ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਹੈ   ->  ਬਾਣੀ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਦੀ ਹੈ

Now I could be wrong, but I am going by the evidence. I know Waheguru as a word and as a feeling existed well before. however, had Guru Sahibs taught a mantra of "Waheguru naam" it would have also appeared in Guru Granth Sahib.

Again I will repeat, I am only speaking as a matter of fact, of what our history is and what its not, what our Guru sahibs taught and what they did not.
Whether or not someone chants Waheguru or not, doesn't matter to me.

Bhai Gurdas ji explains the creation of Waheguru Mantra as following. Its quite clear & sangat can make up their own mind.

ਸਤਿਜੁਗ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਵਾਸਦੇਵ ਵਵਾ ਵਿਸਨਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ।Satijougi Satigur Vaasadayv Vavaa Visanaa Naamu Japaavai.

ਦੁਆਪੁਰਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਰੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਹਾਹਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ।The true Guru of dvapar is said to be Harikrsna and ‘H’ of Vahiguru reminds of Hari.

ਤ੍ਰੇਤੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਰਾਮ ਜੀ ਰਾਰਾ ਰਾਮ ਜਪੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ।Taytay Satigur Raam Jee Raaraa Raam Japay Soukhu Paavai.

ਕਲਿਜੁਗਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰ ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਗਗਾ ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਲਾਵੈ*।Kalijougi Naanak Gur Gobind Gagaa Gobind Naamu Alaavai.

ਚਾਰੇ ਜਾਗੇ ਚਹੁ ਜੁਗੀ ਪੰਚਾਇਣ ਵਿਚਿ ਜਾਇ ਸਮਾਵੈ।Chaaray Jaagay Chahu Jougee Panchaain Vichi Jaai Samaavai.

ਚਾਰੋ ਅਛਰ ਇਕੁ ਕਰਿ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜਪੁ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਜਪਾਵੈ*।Chaaro Achhar Iku Kari Vaahaguroo Japu Mantr Japaavai.

ਜਹਾਂ ਤੇ ਉਪਜਿਆ ਫਿਰਿ ਤਹਾਂ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥੪੯॥੧॥Jahaa Tay Oupajiaa Dhiri Tahaa Samaavai ॥49॥1॥

Bhagat bro, there is enough doubt and confusion in the panth already today on other issues. Let's not add to it by starting to question the validity of one of our core mantars. It's one slippery slope and creating these kinds of doubts is not beneficial to young influential minds who may read this thread and forum. 

I for one jap WaheGuru mantar and it will be the only one I truly ever jap eventhough I like some of the logic and reasoning behind others. I have respect for all mantars and could not live with myself and would personally consider it a big sin if somehow I managed to create doubt in someone's mind or break their sharda in it. 

Guru Gobind Singh writes in Sarbloh Granth sahib about Vahiguru mantra:

ਸਾਰ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਚਾਰੋਂ ਕਾ ਚਾਰ ॥ Saar Mantar Chaaro ka Chaar
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਨਿਰਧਾਰ ॥ Waheguru Mantar nirdhaar
ਕਲਪ ਕਲਪ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਅਖਛਰ ਕਹੀ ॥ Kalp kalp prabh akchar kahee
ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਾਪਯੋ ਸਹੀ ॥ Sri gur nanak japeyoo sahee
ਨਿਜ ਆਤਮ ਪ੍ਰਮਾਤਮ ਦਰਸਯੋ ॥ Nijh atam parmatam dharasyo
ਚਾਰ ਕਲਪ ਮਹਿ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਸਰਸਯੋ ॥ Char kalp meh mantar sarshyo
ਸਾ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਖਾਲਸਹ ਦੀਨਾ ॥ Saa mantar prabh khalse dheena
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਪਦ ਪਾਵਨ ਕੀਨਾ ॥ Waheguru padh pavan keena

The four fold yugs have four separate mantaras.
Of them all the mantar Waheguru is formed supreme.
Through Kalpas of yugs (aeons) the Primal Being uttered the word.

Sri Guru Nanak contemplated upon this true (mantar).

With it one can experience the Super Soul within our Soul.
It is the union of the four separate mantars.
This mantar the Primal Being bestowed upon the Khalsa.
The word ‘Waheguru’ grants enlightenment.

It is very easy for doubts to arise in minds of Sangat that maybe Hari or Ram is superior to Waheguru Mantra. So that's why I have provided references from both Bhai Gurdas Ji & Sarbloh, so that sangat can  make up their own mind. Everyone has their own interpretation or opinion, nothing wrong with that.  Also, all the previous Saints Brahmgyanis since 1940s have given updesh to either chant Waheguru Mantra, Satnam Waheguru, Moolmantra upto Hosi Bhi Sach, or Gurbani Jaap. I dont think any Saint has emphasized to do Jaap of Hari or Raam in public. So just keep these things in mind. I have done my duty so that no one gets any doubts about Waheguru Mantra.

4 minutes ago, Sat1176 said:

Bhagat bro, there is enough doubt and confusion in the panth already today on other issues. Let's not add to it by starting to question the validity of one of our core mantars. It's one slippery slope and creating these kinds of doubts is not beneficial to young influential minds who may read this thread and forum. 

Exactly!   People are already attacking 3 of the Nitnem Banis, and last thing we need is someone to get hold of this thread, twist it and start questioning the Core Mantras.

I understand your concerns.

So I am not questioning the validity of the mantra. We know where it comes from.

However I think the current situation is such that people are more likely to doubt the Hari naam and Ram naam mantras and what they actually mean. The current situation is such that people doubt the vaars of Bhai Gurdas ji that Gunahgar posted. So it's the opposite, in my view. You have nothing to fear but fear itself.

So you guys are my homies, I gotta tell this stuff to my homies at least. Haha.

If not you guys, who else can I tell?

37 minutes ago, Sat1176 said:

I know Raam is short for ramaya i.e meaning the one who is part of everything. But what is the meaning of Har or Hari?

Interesting questions. I hadn't gone so deep into the meaning before, but looking at the sanskrit dictionary, what I am discovering is pleasing, pun intended.

Ram ਰਾਮ and Ramaya ਰਮਈਆ have the same root word - ਰਮ - which means pleasing, joyful, beloved.

Ram is the avtaar of Hari/Vishnu.
In sanskrit, Vishnu means 'one who pervades everywhere', thus I think Ram came to mean "one who pervades everywhere" based on the association with Vishnu.

Hari means yellowish hue. It also means to "to steal" - to steal ignorance, sin, suffering.
This is perhaps why Vishnu/Krishna's robes are yellow, or perhaps they are known as Hari because they are depicted with yellow robes and steal suffering.

Just read:

"Har" is the Hindi  substitute for Sanskrit "hara", without the final stop.
"hara" means the one who takes away or destroys, when used as a noun.
 Originally came from the Vedic concept of Rudra who robs us off our life as the God of death. The robber concept is then applied for our gloominess and the same Rudra, who is the lord of death, also becomes the God of bliss, the doer of bliss "shiva", "shamkara".
This is the reason for hara name too.
The Shiva who is the destroyer (more properly, "deconstructor") of life and creation is also able to destroy our sadness and misfortunes. Thus, the destroyer, robber "hara" name fits for the Greatest and Most Graceful of them, Shiva, the God Himself

3 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

Hari means yellowish hue. It also means to "to steal" - to steal ignorance, sin, suffering.
This is perhaps why Vishnu/Krishna's robes are yellow, or perhaps they are known as Hari because they are depicted with yellow robes and steal suffering.

@Sat1176

Brothers, the word "Har" has 500 meanings.

Some meanings are:

• To steal
  • To blossom
  • Yellowish hue
  • Without 
  • Everyone
  • Diamond
  • Name of Vishnu jee
  • Monkey

Bhul chuk maaf

2 minutes ago, Sat1176 said:

Just read:

"Har" is the Hindi  substitute for Sanskrit "hara", without the final stop.
"hara" means the one who takes away or destroys, when used as a noun.
 Originally came from the Vedic concept of Rudra who robs us off our life as the God of death. The robber concept is then applied for our gloominess and the same Rudra, who is the lord of death, also becomes the God of bliss, the doer of bliss "shiva", "shamkara".
This is the reason for hara name too.
The Shiva who is the destroyer (more properly, "deconstructor") of life and creation is also able to destroy our sadness and misfortunes. Thus, the destroyer, robber "hara" name fits for the Greatest and Most Graceful of them, Shiva, the God Himself

That is within the Shaiv context. It is why they say "Har Har Mahadev".

They tend to focus on death and destruction. They call the supreme one, the ultimate destroyer -  Shri Kaal, Mahakal, Shri Kharag.

It's like if you imagine your consciousness as filled with things. Then imagine all those things get destroyed. What's left?

Turiya avastha

That's similar to what they talk about. It's pretty fascinating.

@paapiman

I was trying to figure out why Hari is a name of Vishnu ji. Perhaps because Vishnu ji takes away suffering or perhaps because he is traditionally depicted wearing yellow clothes in his pictures. Or perhaps both. If Hari originally meant one who destroys, then that too would be a reason why Vishnu ji is called Hari.

I think all of those associations contributed over thousands of years to what we have now.

PS Meditation on meanings of words is fun.

Mantra: Har Har Har Har Hari Hari

• Complete Mantra:

Har Har Har Har Hari Hari

• Language: Gurmukhi
    Source: Yogi Bhajan Lectures
  • Translation:

Har /  Hari: Creative Infinity

• More Information:

The entire mantra is repeated on a single breath. The tone is a relaxed monotone that varies in emphasis automatically as you proceed through the stages of the mantra.  Each 'Har' is one beat and each 'Hari' is 2 beats.

Comments by Dr. Gurucharan Singh Khalsa:

This meditation builds a deep sense of self-reliance. It allows you to separate your identity from your success. It gives you potency, productivity, and caliber. It makes you experience and believe in yourself. Then success comes to serve you, rather than you running after it. This meditation was taught by Guru Nanak. It was passed on by Baba Siri Chand and, later, by Guru Hargobind.

http://www.spiritvoyage.com/mantra/Har-Har-Har-Har-Hari-Hari/MAN-000121.aspx

Harbhajan Yogi used a lot of mantras from SGGS such as Har , Hari, etc...

On March 12, 2016 at 3:19 PM, BhagatSingh said:

Learning

Some of the advanced stuff includes -

• Learning to listen to the resting Aunkar/Shankh/Flute
  • Merging with the mantra or breath
  • Flooding the body with attention so that all all organs can be felt to some degree
  • Making the body shape a fuzzy cloud
  • Taking attention away from the body so that you feel like you don't have a body
  • Moving your locus of attention, your "eye" to various parts of the body
  • Moving your locus of attention outside of the body

resting shankh...have you ever tried putting shankh near you ear...it has an interesting dhuni

@BhagatSingh

Cup your hands around your ears and listen to the noise. The resting Shankh multiply that sound...some say it sounds like ocean waves other says it is the cosmic sound. But interesting stuff nevertheless. I have one at home...and its fun to blow it sometimes, havent done in a long while.

And whenever I hear the sound, it brings back the childhood memories of watching Mahabharata sundar morning. lol.

3 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

@BhagatSingh

Cup your hands around your ears and listen to the noise. The resting Shankh multiply that sound...some say it sounds like ocean waves other says it is the cosmic sound. But interesting stuff nevertheless. I have one at home...and its fun to blow it sometimes, havent done in a long while.

And whenever I hear the sound, it brings back the childhood memories of watching Mahabharata sundar morning. lol.

Indeed Sunday mornings were Sundar mornings. I remember watching this show called Shri Krishna.

That cup thing is interesting, it sounds like the sound of the air.

It's even more interesting than that. Imagine that sound but amplify the bass, so that it sounds really heavy. That I have heard in meditation.

Sundar mornings?? Beautiful mornings?  I hated Sunday my mom used to wash my hair back in India. I can't handle water flowing on my face from above, I feel like I am drowning . Hated Sunday so much, used to hide. Sunday was not sundar for me it was danger for me