ੴ Onkar ਓਅੰਕਾਰ - In Speaking, In Listening, In Meditating

Excellent post BhagatSingh......do you have any recording where someone has practiced this accurately?

Couple of years back while listening to Yogi Harbhajan Singh, he mentiond the same and also mentioned that it takes around 12 years to practice the sound of IkOngkar in a correct way....obviously, he didn't mean that it takes that long for everyone, he was making a point that the pronoucation of IkOngKar is not that simple that we normally do.

There is one CD where one of his student has tried to pronounce the IkOnKar in the way Yogi Harbhajan Singh used to teach.....http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/ahw_2271_23596086 it is the 17 in the mentioned list. I've attached the same here if anyone is interested.

Ek Ong Kar.mp3

There is a subtle pronunciation difference between AUM and ON-KAR which I never noticed before. With A-U-M  when you pronounce it with the mouth you finish with the sound of M. To pronounce the M the lips must be closed. The denotes the end of the sound followed by silence.

However with ON-KAR the mouth never has to close and forever remains open. The non closure of ONG or ONKAR represents the ever expanding creation from the one root ONG.

15 hours ago, BhagatSingh said:

ਓਅੰ means ਓਂ and is pronounced as such.
But since one never puts a bindi or tippi on ਓ, they never wrote ਓਂ. So they wrote ਓਂ as ਓਅੰ.

Why doesn't one put a bindi or tippi on ਓ  ?  What is the reasoning behind this ?

I am greatly confused now.

Traditional way of pronouncing is  Oang- Kaaaaaaaar

Bhagat is saying - eliminate a and just say  Ong-Kaaaar

Ongkar is easier to say than Oangkar.

Bhagat says ਅ is just a placeholder for tippi, ਅ should not be pronounced. He says go with the meaning , ਓਂ.  He does seem to have a good point, not going to deny it.

But what I have learnt so far is that you pronounce each and every lag matra in Gurbani. Plus there are  old traditions.

So it basically comes down to Elders/Traditions vs Bhagats Understanding vs My own Understanding/Interpretation ?

How do rest of you guys pronounce ਓਅੰਕਾਰ?   ਓ--ਅੰ-------ਕਾਰ     or   ਓੰ   ----ਕਾਰ     ??  @Lucky@Sat1176@N30 S!NGH@chatanga1@dalsingh101@paapiman

I might have had the answer to my own questions. A thought just arose in my mind, I was saying Ong Ong & Oang Oang... then I thought of Sohang Sohang.

ਓਅੰ   goes well or rhymes with ਸੋਹੰ   . So answer might be hidden in that one. But still not sure.

41 minutes ago, Gunahgar said:

How do rest of you guys pronounce ਓਅੰਕਾਰ?   ਓ--ਅੰ-------ਕਾਰ     or   ਓੰ   ----ਕਾਰ     ??  @Lucky@Sat1176@N30 S!NGH@chatanga1@dalsingh101@paapiman

LOLs what you want, a recording?

I started saying it like this because it felt really good. Ik Oooooaaangkar. By the time i reach ang, it is like the sound is heading for the root of the nose between the eyes.

12 minutes ago, Sat1176 said:

LOLs what you want, a recording?

I started saying it like this because it felt really good. Ik Oooooaaangkar. By the time i reach ang, it is like the sound is heading for the root of the nose between the eyes.

Ok good. That's the way i like it too.

4 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

Why doesn't one put a bindi or tippi on ਓ  ?  What is the reasoning behind this ?

I can't be the only one who learned this in Punjabi class.

Rule #1
Never put a bindi or tippi on ਓ

This is just how it is.
Have you ever wondered why ੴ doesn't have a bindi or tippi in it? Knowing that the bindi/tippi is crucial, why didn't Guru Sahibs add it?

Answer - This is because of Rule #1.

Rule #2
Whenever ਅ is at the end of a word, it is not pronounced.

• Unless it has a vowel attached.
  • Where there is no vowel, then each case is a special case.

In case of word ਓਅੰ , the ਅ is omitted altogether. (ਓਅੰਕਾਰ just means elongated ਓਅੰ )

You don't pronounce the ਅ.

It's kind of similar to the word ਜੀਅ, you don't pronounce the ਅ.

"But I do pronounce the ਅ in ਜੀਅ."

Well you are not supposed too. The ਅ here is important but not for the reasons people think. You are not supposed to say jee - uh, that's two syllables. ਜੀਅ is not two syllables, it's 1 syllable.
However the ਅ in ਜੀਅ and other words that end in ਅ, like ਭਇਅੰ and ਪ੍ਰਿਅੰ are a different than ਓਅੰ. In these words - ਜੀਅ and ਭਇਅੰ ਪ੍ਰਿਅੰ - the ਅ is not simply placeholder for a tippi but rather something else.
For now just know that it's not an ਅ and should not be pronounced as an ਅ.

4 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

I might have had the answer to my own questions. A thought just arose in my mind, I was saying Ong Ong & Oang Oang... then I thought of Sohang Sohang.

ਓਅੰ   goes well or rhymes with ਸੋਹੰ   . So answer might be hidden in that one. But still not sure.

ਸੋਹੰ is different. It's has a ਹ and it's two syllables.

Which leads us to rule #3.

Rule #3
ਓਅੰ is one syllable.
(which should actually be Rule #1 hehe)

I'll repeat.

ਓਅੰ is 1 syllable

Have you wondered why ੴ does not have a ਅ in it?
Because it is One Syllable. Not two.
It is because the ਅ is only used to spell it out. If the ਅ was important it would be in the symbol.
ਓ <--------can't put a tippi on this, cannot write ਓਂ
ਅ <--------add in a silent placeholder and add tippi to that
ਓਅੰ

Have you ever wondered why there is an ੧ in front of ਓ?
It means it is one syllable.
The extended wave on ਓ means it is a continuous syllable.

One Continuous Syllable, that is what ਓਂ is.

The way people mispronounce is as ਓ - ਅੰ, that is not 1 syllable.

ਓਅੰ should be 1 continous syllable. This is important for recognizing its meaning.
But more on that later.

Let me know if you have any questions so far.

3 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

I did some 1 minutes chanting, trying to ignore the ਅ in ਓਅੰਕਾਰ ... irrespective of if you want to say ਅ or not , a subtle aspect of ਅ comes in it, in order to pronounce the tippi.

I guess I answered my own question.

Lol you did.
But not in the way you think.

The ਅ you noticed was subtle and silent, more than any other letter. This is why it is used as a placeholder.

BUT

You are pronouncing it incorrectly. It seems like you are starting from ਓ then adding a ੰ , rather than simply chanting ਓਂ right from the beginning. Keep your mouth open and relaxed, and go straight into a vibratory nasal ਓ. Your whole torso should vibrate altogether.

Have fun with it. Play with the vibration.

11 hours ago, Sat1176 said:

There is a subtle pronunciation difference between AUM and ON-KAR which I never noticed before. With A-U-M  when you pronounce it with the mouth you finish with the sound of M. To pronounce the M the lips must be closed. The denotes the end of the sound followed by silence.

However with ON-KAR the mouth never has to close and forever remains open. The non closure of ONG or ONKAR represents the ever expanding creation from the one root ONG.

Good observation!
What you found was the reason why they use the english letter 'M' to denote nasal Bindi sounds like in the words Chakram ਚਕ੍ਰੰ and Samsara ਸੰਸਾਰ .

Similarly, in OM/AUM the letter M is not pronounced. M is not part of the primal sounds I described in the OP, M is a complex sound that requires the use of lips. In OM/AUM it simply denotes the nasal sound that is represented by the bindi. Aum is same as Onkar. This type of mispronunciation with the M sound happens quite a bit in readings of Scriptures. However we do the opposite. We start adding G instead of M or in the case of Onkar we start adding A.

1 hour ago, BhagatSingh said:

The ਅ you noticed was subtle and silent, more than any other letter. This is why it is used as a placeholder.

But its there right.  Thats what I am talking about, its subtle but there. You cannot skip A.

I will also play with other version, and see how that works for me.

19 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

I go some thing  like: 

Oooooooooooo annnnnnnnnn kaaaaaaaaarrrrr

The 'a' is pretty short and quickly goes into the nasalised 'n' sound.

Used to have a 'g' sound in it when I was a kid, but stopped that now that I can sort of half read Gurmukhi.  

On 2016-03-08 at 4:44 PM, amardeep said:

I do. On Oaaangggggggggggggggggggggg though.

And what are you observations upon doing this?

23 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

But its there right.  Thats what I am talking about, its subtle but there. You cannot skip A.

I will also play with other version, and see how that works for me.

Yea if you separate the sounds individually then what you are saying is right.

Did you try going straight into the full wide-mouthed nasal tone?

Like open our mouth as if you are about to eat something, or like you are about to yawn and make a nasal sound from belly.

What we hear in our ears is very similar to this, except that it is non-stop.

9 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Oooooooooooo annnnnnnnnn kaaaaaaaaarrrrr

The 'a' is pretty short and quickly goes into the nasalised 'n' sound.

Remove the kaar part.

Do straight ਓਂ.
- Wide-mouthed nasal tone
- Do not separate the sounds to individual components like it is normally written or described.
- Remember it is one syllable.
- If you vibrate on the entire syllable all at once, it will vibrate your entire torso and head all at once and for the duration of the chant.