ੴ Onkar ਓਅੰਕਾਰ - In Speaking, In Listening, In Meditating

On 14/03/2016 at 0:55 AM, Sat1176 said:

Just read:

"Har" is the Hindi  substitute for Sanskrit "hara", without the final stop.
"hara" means the one who takes away or destroys, when used as a noun.
 Originally came from the Vedic concept of Rudra who robs us off our life as the God of death. The robber concept is then applied for our gloominess and the same Rudra, who is the lord of death, also becomes the God of bliss, the doer of bliss "shiva", "shamkara".
This is the reason for hara name too.
The Shiva who is the destroyer (more properly, "deconstructor") of life and creation is also able to destroy our sadness and misfortunes. Thus, the destroyer, robber "hara" name fits for the Greatest and Most Graceful of them, Shiva, the God Himself

The literal meaning differs greatly from the abstract meaning of all mantras. The effect created by the mantra when one recites it enough, reveal the meaning in a profound manner that lifts the surat.

17 hours ago, GurpreetKaur said:

Sundar mornings?? Beautiful mornings?  I hated Sunday my mom used to wash my hair back in India. I can't handle water flowing on my face from above, I feel like I am drowning . Hated Sunday so much, used to hide. Sunday was not sundar for me it was danger for me 

Lol, I hated Sunday morning hair washing as well. Not because of the water but rather the soap which went into my eyes.

It burns!

• 2 years later...
On 3/8/2016 at 2:31 PM, amardeep said:

A Sikh yogi friend of mine does jaap on onggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Were you referencing this thread in the other one?

In the other thread, I avoided this topic to stick to my point that pronouncing Ekonkar as Ek-O-ang-kar is wrong.

But I do believe there is a difference in pronouncing the symbol ੴ  and pronouncing the word ਏਕੰਕਾਰ.

Like your friend, you don't chant Onkar by saying "Onkar, Onkar, Onkar", you chant Onkar by saying "Onnnnnng, Onnnnnng, Onnnnnng"

This is the traditional way of chanting Onkar.

In Dharmic granths, written in Sanskrit language - is the Sanskrit Onkar - which was written in the beginning of all writings. When these writing were said out loud, was not said out louod as "Onkar" but rather chanted as "Onnnnnng"

So I think -

ੴ  is the symbol, the chant -  pronounced as Onnnnnng (where the g is silent).

ਏਕੰਕਾਰ  is the written out version - pronounced as Ekonkar.