Am I ready to take amrit now??

5 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Sister, Panj Pyaray won't ask you about your previous sins, but they might ask some questions to gauge, if you are a suitable candidate for Amrit or not. Nothing much to be worried about.

Bhul chuk maaf

Can you please explain a bit which type of questions they will ask. If u don't mind. 

5 minutes ago, KAuR P said:

Can you please explain a bit which type of questions they will ask. If u don't mind. 

They might ask sister, but don't worry about it. I think they did not ask my family any questions, when we took Amrit.

Please give me sometime. Daas knows Singhs, who do Panj Pyareyan de seva. Gurparsaad, will talk to one of them, and then report back (most likely, on weekend).

Bhul chuk maaf

1 minute ago, paapiman said:

They might ask sister, but don't worry about it. I think they did not ask my family any questions, when we took Amrit.

Please give me sometime. Daas knows Singhs, who do Panj Pyareyan de seva. Gurparsaad, will talk to one of them, and then report back (most likely, on weekend).

Bhul chuk maaf

Okay ji. Thank you so much. U all are doing a gr8 job. Keep this going. And I'll also try to encourage and help others. Want to be like you all. 

2 minutes ago, KAuR P said:

Okay ji. Thank you so much. U all are doing a gr8 job. Keep this going. And I'll also try to encourage and help others. Want to be like you all. 

Sister, please make sure that you do through the link below for inspiration.

Bhul chuk maaf

13 hours ago, paapiman said:

Bhul chuk maaf

@paapiman waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh. Brother I found this today. Go to the link Victory & Virtue: Instructions to the New Amritdhari Sikhs - SikhNet

@paapiman @Gunahgar  waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh. Today I just called my father when he was on work. I told him that I want to take amrit. And he said no. :( He must be thinking that I am not ready or I can't keep all the rehits properly. And can't do nitnem. How to convince him that I'll do it. I can do this.

One reason I have heard parents not allow their daughters to is that some sampardas disallow any jewellery, or makeup at all after Amrit. Your Dad might be scared you will have harder time to find a husband.  (trust me you can! I am turban wearing, no makeup though I do wear a necklace once in awhile or my gold bangles and I found an Amritdhari man who is sweetest in the world!)  Also if you still live in their house, there are other implications like not sharing food with your family if they are not Amritdhari as well, or if your parents have alcohol in the house.  Just have conversation with him when he is at home and tell him the reasons why you want this.  Maybe through soft words you can win your parents to the idea and maybe they will take it too someday because of your example!

6 minutes ago, CdnSikhGirl said:

One reason I have heard parents not allow their daughters to is that some sampardas disallow any jewellery, or makeup at all after Amrit. Your Dad might be scared you will have harder time to find a husband.  (trust me you can! I am turban wearing, no makeup though I do wear a necklace once in awhile or my gold bangles and I found an Amritdhari man who is sweetest in the world!)  Also if you still live in their house, there are other implications like not sharing food with your family if they are not Amritdhari as well, or if your parents have alcohol in the house.  Just have conversation with him when he is at home and tell him the reasons why you want this.  Maybe through soft words you can win your parents to the idea and maybe they will take it too someday because of your example!

My dad don't drink. Actually he must think that I am still not ready. Because I never talked about this and now I am suddenly saying this. And yes! We live in a same home. Thank u for the support :)

1 hour ago, CdnSikhGirl said:

becausOne reason I have heard parents not allow their daughters to is that some sampardas disallow any jewellery, or makeup at all after Amrit. Your Dad might be scared you will have harder time to find a husband.  (trust me you can! I am turban wearing, no makeup though I do wear a necklace once in awhile or my gold bangles and I found an Amritdhari man who is sweetest in the world!)  Also if you still live in their house, there are other implications like not sharing food with your family if they are not Amritdhari as well, or if your parents have alcohol in the house.  Just have conversation with him when he is at home and tell him the reasons why you want this.  Maybe through soft words you can win your parents to the idea and maybe they will take it too someday because of your example!

I talked to my dad as well as mom. My dad said that it will a sin if u take amrit and later you won't be able to keep all the rehits. He said if you want to do path then do it and also at least you must do nitnem and should know the 5 banis by heart. Moreover he added that I'll now go to college and there are so many restrictions afterwards ( for instance restrictions of hair cut etc. ). My mom again said that first make yourself good enough. And prove that you will not break our trust again. Walk on the path of truth. Why she always keep talking about what I did wrong? I am trying to be good then why they are not supporting me? They said that do nitnem daily and should not think that its a burden on you to do it daily. And if we feel that you are ready to take amrit then we'll all take amrit together. But my mom always keep on remembering me that I did something wrong. And I feel that she thinks that I am not able to take amrit as I'll definatly break the maryada and will not be able to take rehits.

@paapiman @Gunahgar @CdnSikhGirl

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Gur Ji Ke Fateh

I dont know if you are aware of Basics of Sikhi , if not please take a look at their site they have loads of videos , easy to understand and very realisitc

please take a look http://www.basicsofsikhi.com/

The rest penji , the journey the connection is between you and the almighty no one else and that will be unique to every individual. You can talk to waheguru in your own unique way wherever you are . I would say learn about the history, learn kirtan , learn gurmuki , learn learn learn , make it your way of life , its a life long beautiful committment,with its fair share of ups and downs but stick at it  waheguru will 100% guide you regardless of what stage you are at but the most important thing is you want to make that change .

18 minutes ago, DSG said:

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Gur Ji Ke Fateh

I dont know if you are aware of Basics of Sikhi , if not please take a look at their site they have loads of videos , easy to understand and very realisitc

please take a look http://www.basicsofsikhi.com/

The rest penji , the journey the connection is between you and the almighty no one else and that will be unique to every individual. You can talk to waheguru in your own unique way wherever you are . I would say learn about the history, learn kirtan , learn gurmuki , learn learn learn , make it your way of life , its a life long beautiful committment,with its fair share of ups and downs but stick at it  waheguru will 100% guide you regardless of what stage you are at but the most important thing is you want to make that change .

Thank you for the reply. Well I do keertan and play harmonium. I don't know the history as well. I'll definatly work on that as well. I can read gurmukhi too. The thing is I had not done nitnem as a routine. But I have also started that. I'll make sure that my parents will trust me and feel that I am able to do this. I trust myself. I don't want to disobey them. Thank you again 

48 minutes ago, KAuR P said:

He said if you want to do path then do it and also at least you must do nitnem and should know the 5 banis by heart

Sister, you can listen to the Gurbanis too. There is no requirement that a person must know the 5 banis, by heart, before taking Amrit.

Moreover he added that I'll now go to college and there are so many restrictions afterwards ( for instance restrictions of hair cut etc. ).

Can you please elaborate on this point?

My mom again said that first make yourself good enough. And prove that you will not break our trust again. Walk on the path of truth. Why she always keep talking about what I did wrong? I am trying to be good then why they are not supporting me? They said that do nitnem daily and should not think that its a burden on you to do it daily. And if we feel that you are ready to take amrit then we'll all take amrit together. But my mom always keep on remembering me that I did something wrong. And I feel that she thinks that I am not able to take amrit as I'll definatly break the maryada and will not be able to take rehits

Don't worry too much about your mother's statements. As long as you are determined to change yourself and will apologize to Maharaaj, you should be fine. Most likely, you have already apologized to your parents.

Think positive and keep a strong will. This will ensure that you will never break Rehat.

Did you talk to your cousin about this?

Bhul chuk maaf

1 hour ago, paapiman said:

Sister, you can listen to the Gurbanis too. There is no requirement that a person must know the 5 banis, by heart, before taking Amrit.

Can you please elaborate on this point?

Don't worry too much about your mother's statements. As long as you are determined to change yourself and will apologize to Maharaaj, you should be fine. Most likely, you have already apologized to your parents.

Think positive and keep a strong will. This will ensure that you will never break Rehat.

Did you talk to your cousin about this?

Bhul chuk maaf

Hnji I talked to my cousin. He was really happy with my decision. 

Moreover he added that I'll now go to college and there are so many restrictions afterwards ( for instance restrictions of hair cut etc. ).  

He meant that I'll start going to college now. The environment of the college can effect me in any way. He said that I may wish to do makeup and may want to cut my hair. Because I usually trim my hair. But I'll not do it. I secretly heard my mother's and grandmother conversation. My mother said that my dad said it will be difficult to find a suitable match for me. This is the main reason they are not allowing me but dad said that I can marry a amritdhari boy and later I can take amrit. Why should I depend on someone? I am strong enough to be me. If everyone starts to think like this no one will take amrit. Even boys. They can also think that they may not be able to find an amritdhari girl. That's not the right way. We should at least start. The rest of world will start by seeing us. This makes me really sad that my parents think like that. I used to think that they are always right. But no they are wrong here. I am fed off of this. 

On March 10, 2016 at 10:30 AM, KAuR P said:

My mother said that my dad said it will be difficult to find a suitable match for me. This is the main reason they are not allowing me but dad said that I can marry a amritdhari boy and later I can take amrit. Why should I depend on someone? I am strong enough to be me. If everyone starts to think like this no one will take amrit. Even boys. They can also think that they may not be able to find an amritdhari girl. That's not the right way. We should at least start. The rest of world will start by seeing us. This makes me really sad that my parents think like that. I used to think that they are always right. But no they are wrong here. I am fed off of this. 

I knew that was the reason!!!! Trust me there are many awesome great Amritdhari guys :).  I married a Singh from Srinagar Kashmir and he is missionary college trained. We are both Amritdhari. He was before I met him and we took it together when we married at the same historical gurdwara. He respects me as his equal (not inferior) and does not expect me to serve him or be his subordinate or his families new maid, as can happen in *some* Punjabi families. He follows Gurbani on marriage and equality. 

Trust me when I say you might have less to choose from while looking but you will end up with a higher quality husband! 

As for your hair it's easy to keep it especially if you learn to tie a dastar. It will always be protected and covered. 

On 3/10/2016 at 9:30 AM, KAuR P said:

He meant that I'll start going to college now. The environment of the college can effect me in any way. He said that I may wish to do makeup and may want to cut my hair. Because I usually trim my hair. But I'll not do it. I secretly heard my mother's and grandmother conversation. My mother said that my dad said it will be difficult to find a suitable match for me. This is the main reason they are not allowing me but dad said that I can marry a amritdhari boy and later I can take amrit. Why should I depend on someone? I am strong enough to be me. If everyone starts to think like this no one will take amrit. Even boys. They can also think that they may not be able to find an amritdhari girl. That's not the right way. We should at least start. The rest of world will start by seeing us. This makes me really sad that my parents think like that. I used to think that they are always right. But no they are wrong here. I am fed off of this. 

Sister, do you know of any elderly Amritdhari person in your family/close to your family?

Bhul chuk maaf

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2016 at 9:30 AM, KAuR P said:

Sister, you will have to decide for yourself, whether you will be able to follow the Rehat or not. The bare minimum is the prohibition of the 4 cardinal sins. If you think you are not prepared for it, then you can do ardaas to Maharaaj for guidance and strength.

4 cardinal sins:

Hukka – Consumption of tobacco in any form

Hajamat – Killing hair (by any means) from any part of the body

Halalo – Consumption of halal meat in any form

Haraam – Any form of sexual activity outside of marriage

Bhul chuk maaf