Am I ready to take amrit now??

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!!

I just joined sikhawareness and glad to know that you all are doing such a great work. And I am here to ask something. I am an 18 years old girl. I did some sins, hurts my parents, in fact the whole family. I want forgiveness from my family as well as from God. And was thinking that this is possible only if I will take amrit and go on the right path. The path of our gurus. So that I'll never hurt my parents and family as well. But I have few questions in my mind. First of all let me tell you all that I don't even do regular nitnem. But I am trying now after the thought of taking amrit . I am really guilty of what I did. Don't want to do this anymore. Want my family back. Secondly, I am scared how my parents will react when I'll tell them about this decision. And will you tell me if I am going on a right way or not ?? I want a good sangat that's the other reason of taking amrit. And should I take it now or should I wait ?? How to tell my parents about my decision ?? Will I be able to keep all the internal and external rehits?? Because I've already did so many wrong things and now I don't want that I'll take amrit and later not be able to keep it. Please help me. 

Gurfateh bhenji

If you're in doubt, then don't take Amrit. Amrit chak is something one should only do with full conviction and yakeen.

Regarding making changes in your life towards your Family, friends, sangat etc - that is always a good thing to strive for. However, you dont need Amrit to do that. Work on yourself internally and externally and let the Guru do the rest.

59 minutes ago, amardeep said:

Gurfateh bhenji

If you're in doubt, then don't take Amrit. Amrit chak is something one should only do with full conviction and yakeen.

Regarding making changes in your life towards your Family, friends, sangat etc - that is always a good thing to strive for. However, you dont need Amrit to do that. Work on yourself internally and externally and let the Guru do the rest.

Well thank you for replying quickly. Actually my doubts has been cleared. Now I want to ask that should I go for it now or should I practice nitnem for a month. Moreover, how should I tell this to my parents?

@KAuR P  A good way to start with nitnem is listen by MP3.  Then even if you are distracted you are still listening to it being recited.  There is no excuse because even someone who is busy can listen to it.  When I took amrit, the words used were, "recite or listen to recitation of..."  MP3 just makes it much easier. You can of course follow along in your nitnem gutka and recite along with it.  I specifically asked before if it was bad to listen WHILE doing something else, for example if you already have to get up extremely early for work etc.  And Panj Pyaras said that as long as you are listening or reciting it, it doesn't matter where you are of what position you are in, or what you are doing. The key is just doing it.  So if you happen to be a security guard or something (just as an example... no thats not what I do for career haha) you can listen to the MP3 nitnem at your desk or something and it's ok.  Waheguru Ji knows your intent and knows its sometimes difficult in modern world with careers like shiftwork etc.  As for rehets, make sure you know where you are taking Amrit, and what the implications are for you as a female, as there are more than one Rehet Maryada and some sampardas place extra restrictions and limitations on Bibis that the males don't have.  (for example, seeing husband as God, exclusion from certain seva etc) while the Panthic Rehet Maryada (Sikh Rehet Maryada) treats male and female the same as far as rights in Sikhi.  

1 hour ago, CdnSikhGirl said:

@KAuR P  A good way to start with nitnem is listen by MP3.  Then even if you are distracted you are still listening to it being recited.  There is no excuse because even someone who is busy can listen to it.  When I took amrit, the words used were, "recite or listen to recitation of..."  MP3 just makes it much easier. You can of course follow along in your nitnem gutka and recite along with it.  I specifically asked before if it was bad to listen WHILE doing something else, for example if you already have to get up extremely early for work etc.  And Panj Pyaras said that as long as you are listening or reciting it, it doesn't matter where you are of what position you are in, or what you are doing. The key is just doing it.  So if you happen to be a security guard or something (just as an example... no thats not what I do for career haha) you can listen to the MP3 nitnem at your desk or something and it's ok.  Waheguru Ji knows your intent and knows its sometimes difficult in modern world with careers like shiftwork etc.  As for rehets, make sure you know where you are taking Amrit, and what the implications are for you as a female, as there are more than one Rehet Maryada and some sampardas place extra restrictions and limitations on Bibis that the males don't have.  (for example, seeing husband as God, exclusion from certain seva etc) while the Panthic Rehet Maryada (Sikh Rehet Maryada) treats male and female the same as far as rights in Sikhi.  

@CdnSikhGirl thank you for the advice :)  I'll do nitnem for a month and later go for it. 

5 hours ago, KAuR P said:

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!!

I just joined sikhawareness and glad to know that you all are doing such a great work. And I am here to ask something. I am an 18 years old girl. I did some sins, hurts my parents, in fact the whole family. I want forgiveness from my family as well as from God. And was thinking that this is possible only if I will take amrit and go on the right path. The path of our gurus. So that I'll never hurt my parents and family as well. But I have few questions in my mind. First of all let me tell you all that I don't even do regular nitnem. But I am trying now after the thought of taking amrit . I am really guilty of what I did. Don't want to do this anymore. Want my family back. Secondly, I am scared how my parents will react when I'll tell them about this decision. And will you tell me if I am going on a right way or not ?? I want a good sangat that's the other reason of taking amrit. And should I take it now or should I wait ?? How to tell my parents about my decision ?? Will I be able to keep all the internal and external rehits?? Because I've already did so many wrong things and now I don't want that I'll take amrit and later not be able to keep it. Please help me. 

wjkk wjkf

My dear Sister, go and take Amrit asap. Please listen to Gurbani and Saints.

Gurbani:

Gurbani clearly instructs us, not to cause any delay, when thinking of performing a good deed.

ਕਬੀਰ ਕਾਲਿ ਕਰੰਤਾ ਅਬਹਿ ਕਰੁ ਅਬ ਕਰਤਾ ਸੁਇ ਤਾਲ ॥

ਪਾਛੈ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਹੋਇਗਾ ਜਉ ਸਿਰ ਪਰਿ ਆਵੈ ਕਾਲੁ ॥੧੩੮॥

Kabeer, that which you have to do tomorrow do it today instead; and that which you have to do now do it immediately!

Later on, you will not be able to do anything, when death hangs over your head. ||138||

Saints:

Srimaan Sant Baba Ishar Singh jee Kaleranwale (one of the greatest saints of the 20th century), used to say that even kids should take Amrit. You are old enough to take Amrit asap.

Quote (Gunahgar jee)

baba Ishar singh ji kaleran wale use to say whole family should shak Amrit even if they are little kids...they can keep kakars when they grow up...sab parvar chadaya bede....whole family has gotten on the ship to sachkhand...

Unquote 

Some people might make Amrit look like a huge task, but the fact is that it is a basic/elementary step in Sikhism.

All your sins will be forgiven, when you will take Amrit, as long as you don't repeat them.

The most important aspect, when you take Amirt, is to avoid the 4 cardinal sins. This can be done easily.

• Consumption of tobacco
  • Eating Halal meat
  • Premarital/Extra martial sexual relations
  • Cutting Kesh

Once again Sister, Daas will humbly request you at your feet, to take Amrit asap. Mind is very dangerous and it can play tricks. Are you sure, you will have same interest in taking Amrit after a month? 

For Nitnem - You can listen to Nitnem. Have you heard of Bhai Jarnail Singh jee (of Damdami Taksaal)? Please have a look below. He neither goes too fast, nor too slow and his ucharan is really good.

Bhul chuk maaf

23 minutes ago, paapiman said:

wjkk wjkf

My dear Sister, go and take Amrit asap. Please listen to Gurbani and Saints.

Gurbani:

Gurbani clearly instructs us, not to cause any delay, when thinking of performing a good deed.

ਕਬੀਰ ਕਾਲਿ ਕਰੰਤਾ ਅਬਹਿ ਕਰੁ ਅਬ ਕਰਤਾ ਸੁਇ ਤਾਲ ॥

ਪਾਛੈ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਹੋਇਗਾ ਜਉ ਸਿਰ ਪਰਿ ਆਵੈ ਕਾਲੁ ॥੧੩੮॥

Kabeer, that which you have to do tomorrow do it today instead; and that which you have to do now do it immediately!

Later on, you will not be able to do anything, when death hangs over your head. ||138||

Saints:

Srimaan Sant Baba Ishar Singh jee Kaleranwale (one of the greatest saints of the 20th century), used to say that even kids should take Amrit. You are old enough to take Amrit asap.

Quote (Gunahgar jee)

baba Ishar singh ji kaleran wale use to say whole family should shak Amrit even if they are little kids...they can keep kakars when they grow up...sab parvar chadaya bede....whole family has gotten on the ship to sachkhand...

Unquote 

Some people might make Amrit look like a huge task, but the fact is that it is a basic/elementary step in Sikhism.

All your sins will be forgiven, when you will take Amrit, as long as you don't repeat them.

The most important aspect, when you take Amirt, is to avoid the 4 cardinal sins. This can be done easily.

• Consumption of tobacco
  • Eating Halal meat
  • Premarital/Extra martial sexual relations
  • Cutting Kesh

Once again Sister, Daas will humbly request you at your feet, to take Amrit asap. Mind is very dangerous and it can play tricks. Are you sure, you will have same interest in taking Amrit after a month? 

For Nitnem - You can listen to Nitnem. Have you heard of Bhai Jarnail Singh jee (of Damdami Taksaal)? Please have a look below. He neither goes too fast, nor too slow and his ucharan is really good.

Bhul chuk maaf

Thank you so much ji....... I was really looking for a answer like that. It really helped me. Brother! I request you to answer another question. Actually I didn't talk to my parents about that. So how how to tell this to them. I am quiet sure that they will be happy buy still want to know as none of my family members have taken amrit. Again a big thank to you. 

2 minutes ago, KAuR P said:

Thank you so much ji....... I was really looking for a answer like that. It really helped me. Brother! I request you to answer another question. Actually I didn't talk to my parents about that. So how how to tell this to them. I am quiet sure that they will be happy buy still want to know as none of my family members have taken amrit. Again a big thank to you. 

Sister, IMHO, tell that family member first, whom you are most attached to. That member can further tell other members about it. Tell that member that you have decided to become a daughter (by taking Amrit) of Sodhi Sache Paatshah, Dhan Dhan Dhan Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh jee Maharaaj.

God willing, you will have a great spiritual journey ahead of you.

Bhul chuk maaf

@paapiman  My mother judt came and asked me what are you doing. I said was searching on amrit shak. She said first make yourself good enough to take amrit. I know I did really bad things in my life. But now I am trying to solve it. And she just laughed at me. I said I am not joking. I am serious. If I said I'll do it. Why she reacted like this?? I know she shows that she hates me for what I did but still she loves me I can see it. I am trying na to be good. Then why she laughed. Felt really bad. :'(

2 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Sister, IMHO, tell that family member first, whom you are most attached to. That member can further tell other members about it. Tell that member that you have decided to become a daughter (by taking Amrit) of Sodhi Sache Paatshah, Dhan Dhan Dhan Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh jee Maharaaj.

God willing, you will have a great spiritual journey ahead of you.

Bhul chuk maaf

Hnji I just did that and explained what just happened to me ..... :'( How to tell her and all other family members that I am not joking. I really want to take amrit. Now tell me what to do ?

1 minute ago, KAuR P said:

@paapiman  My mother judt came and asked me what are you doing. I said was searching on amrit shak. She said first make yourself good enough to take amrit. I know I did really bad things in my life. But now I am trying to solve it. And she just laughed at me. I said I am not joking. I am serious. If I said I'll do it. Why she reacted like this?? I know she shows that she hates me for what I did but still she loves me I can see it. I am trying na to be good. Then why she laughed. Felt really bad. :'(

Dear Sister,

One does not have to be good to take Amrit. We have all done many bad things. None of us is pure. Amrit is just the first step. I knew your family would discourage you. They will say you are too young or you should wait until marriage. 

I follow Baba Ishar Singh Ji Kaleran Nanaksar wale. Acc. to his bachan, if someone has a half-mind of taking Amrit, you should push them to taking Amrit. Guru will take care of the rest.  Since your family is non-amritdhari, it will be difficult for you . But I encourage you to do it secretly if your family tries to stop you. They will be angry for a while and then they will forget.

Where do you live ? US or Canada ?

And if you have questions about Nitnem & Rehit ask us here. Also , Paapiman had given great advice.

9 minutes ago, KAuR P said:

Sister, the actual price of Amrit is one's life, which you know, the original Panj Pyaray paid. Using this Criteria, how many people do you think are good enough to take Amrit?

After taking Amrit, you will gradually move towards becoming an ideal human being. Most humans make mistakes, which even includes highly spiritual people. Learn from your mistakes and never repeat them again.

Bhul chuk maaf

2 minutes ago, Gunahgar said:

Dear Sister,

One does not have to be good to take Amrit. We have all done many bad things. None of us is pure. Amrit is just the first step. I knew your family would discourage you. They will say you are too young or you should wait until marriage. 

I follow Baba Ishar Singh Ji Kaleran Nanaksar wale. Acc. to his bachan, if someone has a half-mind of taking Amrit, you should push them to taking Amrit. Guru will take care of the rest.  Since your family is non-amritdhari, it will be difficult for you . But I encourage you to do it secretly if your family tries to stop you. They will be angry for a while and then they will forget.

Where do you live ? US or Canada ?

And if you have questions about Nitnem & Rehit ask us here. Also , Paapiman had given great advice.

Thank you ji. I'll surely take amrit. I have a close cousin who is amritdhari. He always encourages me and my grandmother too. And yes please tell me about nitnem and rehits so that I'll not do anything wrong. Thank you again

7 minutes ago, KAuR P said:

Hnji I just did that and explained what just happened to me ..... :'( How to tell her and all other family members that I am not joking. I really want to take amrit. Now tell me what to do ?

If they think, you are joking, then give them a pleasant surprise, by consuming Amrit and coming back home, dressed similar to the Singhni in the image below.

11385123_1443649659273314_162663211_n.jp

Bhul chuk maaf

Just now, KAuR P said:

Thank you ji. I'll surely take amrit. I have a close cousin who is amritdhari. He always encourages me and my grandmother too. And yes please tell me about nitnem and rehits so that I'll not do anything wrong. Thank you again

Ok get in touch with your Cousin & get on this Ship of Guru Nanak ASAP.  Don't think too much. If your mind changes , kalyug will show its effect, then it might be a while before you can take Amrit.

Baba Ishar Singh Ji would used to say that if you have not taken Khande Da Amrit , you will not get a place worth of needle point in Sachkhan/Dargah. These are his actual bachans and can be heard in his tapes. Dalla asked Guru Gobind Singh Ji, maharaj please give me a place worth a chair in Sachkhand, Maharaj said you have to shak Amrit first. Without Amrit, you wont get any place in Sackhand.

There will never be a proper place and time for Amrit. Do it ASAP. If your Mind changes..it might be too late.

4 minutes ago, paapiman said:

If they think, you are joking, then give them a pleasant surprise, by consuming Amrit and coming back home, dressed similar to the Singhni in the image below.

11385123_1443649659273314_162663211_n.jp

Bhul chuk maaf

Brother, lets just keep it easy on Sister. She does not have to surprise anyone.  She can even do it silently.

7 minutes ago, KAuR P said:

Panj Pyare will explain you everything sister. You might be nervous, but dont worry we were all in the same place once.

If its your first time taking Amrit, they wont ask you about your past or anything. You will have chance to start with a clean slate.

True repentance is when you dont repeat the same mistake again.

1 minute ago, Gunahgar said:

Brother, lets just keep it easy on Sister. She does not have to surprise anyone.  She can even do it silently.

Today I told this decision to my grandmother and she was kinda happy. She's an amritdhari too. Now I've just told my decision to my mum. I'll go with my cousin and will surely take amrit. But its not possible before a month. Because I am giving my 12th board exams so I'll not be able to go to my cousin's place. 

2 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

Bro, it is very hard to keep (such a thing) secret from the family. She said that they will be happy to know about it. Right now, they might think that she is not serious about it.

Bhul chuk maaf

9 minutes ago, KAuR P said:

Morning nitnem:  Japji Sahib, Jaap Sahib, Tav Prasad Savaiye, Chaupai Sahib, Anand Sahib

Evening: Rehraas Sahib, Keertan Sohela

Dasvandh: 2.5 hours of including Nitnem + Simran,

You will also be asked to do path of Moolmantar or Waheguru Simran sitting, lying, walking or whenever you can during you daily routine. Goal is to remember him as much as you can.

And avoid following Bajjar Kurehits:  Smoking/Drugs/Alcohol, Meat/Eggs( depending upon Panj Pyara, go with what they say, Shaving/Trimming/Waxing, pre-marital or extramarital relations.

4 minutes ago, Gunahgar said:

Panj Pyare will explain you everything sister. You might be nervous, but dont worry we were all in the same place once.

If its your first time taking Amrit, they wont ask you about your past or anything. You will have chance to start with a clean slate.

True repentance is when you dont repeat the same mistake again.

Thank you again. I was also worried about that as what will panj pyara's ask. But this question is also cleared. :)

2 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Bro, it is very hard to keep (such a thing) secret from the family. She said that they will happy to know about it. Right now, they might think that she is not serious about it.

Bhul chuk maaf

ok take your time sister and All the Best!!!   And use that time to contemplate on your actions and build up the mental will to not repeat it again.

4 minutes ago, KAuR P said:

Thank you again. I was also worried about that as what will panj pyara's ask. But this question is also cleared. :)

Sister, Panj Pyaray won't ask you about your previous sins, but they might ask some questions to gauge, if you are a suitable candidate for Amrit or not. Nothing much to be worried about.

Bhul chuk maaf