Sukha Maryada (use of Marijuana/Cannabis)

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, paapiman said:

Marijuana/Opium was primarily used by the Sikhs as a pain killer during war times. 

That’s ok when used as a med.. even nowadays it’s been used as a Med in a limited quantity like when prescribed by a doc.. I’m concerned about those who don’t need any medicine I mean physically healthy but still using it and they do it by taking vaheguru’s name. Like using it in degh and making shardayi and while making it they keep chanting vaheguru.. and I haven’t listened to the link yet.. forgive me for any mistakes 🙏🏻

On 2017-12-10 at 9:56 PM, Kaur Inder said:

@Singh123456777 🙏🏻

Okay lets get started!

Sukha has been used by the nihangs and khalsa panth since the beginning. It was also used when guru hargobind sahib ji was guru. In the original rehat maryada the bajar kurehits was eating halal meat,cutting hair, using tobaco and having sexual relations before marrige/adultry etc. There was no place that wrote that sukha was not allowed. In puratan granths such as suraj parkash or panth parkash it is written that singhs used to drink shaheedi degh. One such example i will provide.

ਯਾਂਤੇ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਮੁਖ ਬਾਕ ਉਚਾਰਾ । ਹੁਇ ਸੁੱਖੇ ਕੀ ਦੇਗ ਉਦਾਰਾ । ਸਿੰਘ ਹੋਇ ਜਬਿ ਆਯੁਧ ਧਾਰੀ । ਮਾਦਕ ਚਹੀਯਤਿ ਅਨਂਦ ਮਝਾਰੀ ।39।

Guru Gobind Singh Ji commanded from his pious mouth, "make large cauldrons of Sukha. Having adorned weapons, the Singhs will need an intoxicant which will keep them in great bliss.

ਸਭਿ ਮਾਦਿਕ ਤੇ ਬਿਜੀਆ ਆਛੀ । ਕ੍ਯੋਂਕਿ ਮਹੇਸ਼ ਆਦਿ ਇਹੁ ਬਾਛੀ । ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਚਰਨ ਕਿ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਨਾਮੂ । ਨਿਸ਼ਚਲ ਬ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਟਿਕਹਿ ਅਭਿਰਾਮੂ ।40।

Out of all drugs, Cannabis is the best, [because] it was a favorite amongst Shiva and other Gods. It's consumption helps one focus upon the True Guru's Lotus Feet and His True Name. Clearing all doubts from one's mind it instills peace.

ਚਿਤ ਕੀ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਦੇਤਿ ਮਿਟਾਈ । ਰਿਦੈ ਸੰਤੋਸ਼ ਕਰਹਿਂ ਸੁਖਦਾਈ । ਕਰ੍ਯੋ ਸੁਖਾ ਦੁਖ ਹਰਿਬੇ ਹੇਤੁ । ਛਕਹਿ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਮਿਰਚ ਸਮੇਤ ।41। [Sukha] removes all doubts from one's mind, fosters contentment in one's heart and brings great happiness. Make Sukha to destroy all pains from ones heart, by adding black pepper the Khalsa consumes [Sukha]. ਛੁਧਾ ਲਗਾਇ ਸਰੀਰ ਨਿਰੋਵਾ । ਕਸ਼ਟ ਸਮੂਹਨਿ ਦੋ ਇਹ ਖੋਵਾ । ਹੋਨਿ ਲਗੀ ਤਬ ਦੇਗ ਬਿਸਾਲਾ । ਛਕਹਿ ਸਿੰਘ ਕੋ ਇਕ ਦ੍ਵੈ ਕਾਲਾ ।42।

It's consumption increases appetite and strength in the body, and removes all suffering." Great cauldrons were made of Sukha, some Singhs had it once and some more often.

ਗੁਰਪ੍ਰਤਾਪ ਸੂਰਜ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸ਼ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ , ਰੁੱਤ 3 ਅਧਿਅਾਇ 2

This is from suraj parkash. 

The next example i give is from Sri gur panth parkash written by Rattan singh bhangu

My dear sagacious readers listen further, to the life story of Nihang Gurbakhsh Singh.

Sublime martyrdom did he achieve, at the sacred shrine at Amritsar. Strapping young and a great warrior was he, dressed in blue robes, of immaculate conduct was he. A dose of cannabis would he partake every morning, daily ablutions would he perform thereafter. Early in the morning would he take a bath, gurbaani would he recite while donning his turban.

Armaments of steel would he pay obeisance to, those armaments would he carry after worshipping these. A rosary made of steel beads and steel would he wear, with bracelets of steel would he adorn his wrists. Steel Quoits and chains would he wear round his turban, protection of these steel armaments would he seek. Steel gloves on hands and steel club round waist would he wear, undergarments made out of one and quarter yard of cloth he would wear. With a steel armour would he cover his whole body, a daily religious congregation would this Nihang hold

This has been maryada since the start and nihangs till this day still use shaheedi degh etc.

Sukha has many good health properties as well. You can search up about it online.

There are many more examples if you want. Even people like W.H Mcleod wrote that the nihang use sukha.

This is a very brief explanation 

1 hour ago, sarabatam said:

Since cannabis will be legal in Canada soon. How would that impact nihang based gurdwaras here ? Can we look fwd into safe introduction of sukha or integration of sukha into holla mohalla sagamas and or jor melas?

Nobody will allow it cause everybody is close minded. Im from canada and mostly the sikhs here are taksali,akj or missionary with a minor percent nihangs.

6 minutes ago, Singh123456777 said:

This is a very brief explanation

Thanks for this explanation and for ur time. But I don’t know why I can’t agree with this. I can understand the part where back in days Singh’s needed something to relieve their pains as they use to fight and do Jungs and whatever u mentioned that’s fine but that was something needed at THAT time.. but we don’t need all that at this present moment so just because it was used at those times people keep doing it today where they don’t even need it and thn they bring up with all these like u quoted and mentioned Guru Ji and shiv ji thn we just keep our mouth shut because obviously we don’t know the actual truth and don’t have the right knowledge about all this to speak against it.. And as u mentioned that it’s consumption helps focus more on gods true name This is something I can NEVER agree with.. what kind of remembrance that would be in which we need to take help of a drug, doesn’t matter if it’s natural or whatever.. it still is a drug.. And I don’t think it’s about narrow mindedness it’s about doing what’s right and going with a better option... yes I know it’s natural and more safer drug and it helps in making u feel relaxed but that doesn’t mean we HAVE TO do what they needed to do at those times.. thn I can get high on weed and I can say oh this is something my guru did and it’s shiv ji’s fav drug. That’s what my point is.. people when they don’t need to do it but still do it and thn they bring this thing that it was done by Singh’s at those times. Taken at a limited quantity only when needed is something I can understand but making it a ritual and saying its been done from that time is something I don’t seem to agree with..  I don’t know if anyone will understand my point or not.

this is something I was reading about Shivji consuming weed and came across this.

https://www.quora.com/Was-Lord-Shiva-using-marijuana-Bhang-or-other-drugs-If-he-is-a-god-would-he-need-drugs

2 minutes ago, Kaur Inder said:

Thanks for this explanation and for ur time. But I don’t know why I can’t agree with this. I can understand the part where back in days Singh’s needed something to relieve their pains as they use to fight and do Jungs and whatever u mentioned that’s fine but that was something needed at THAT time.. but we don’t need all that at this present moment so just because it was used at those times people keep doing it today where they don’t even need it and thn they bring up with all these like u quoted and mentioned Guru Ji and shiv ji thn we just keep our mouth shut because obviously we don’t know the actual truth and don’t have the right knowledge about all this to speak against it.. And as u mentioned that it’s consumption helps focus more on gods true name This is something I can NEVER agree with.. what kind of remembrance that would be in which we need to take help of a drug, doesn’t matter if it’s natural or whatever.. it still is a drug.. And I don’t think it’s about narrow mindedness it’s about doing what’s right and going with a better option... yes I know it’s natural and more safer drug and it helps in making u feel relaxed but that doesn’t mean we HAVE TO do what they needed to do at those times.. thn I can get high on weed and I can say oh this is something my guru did and it’s shiv ji’s fav drug. That’s what my point is.. people when they don’t need to do it but still do it and thn they bring this thing that it was done by Singh’s at those times. Taken at a limited quantity only when needed is something I can understand but making it a ritual and saying its been done from that time is something I don’t seem to agree with..  I don’t know if anyone will understand my point or not.

this is something I was reading about Shivji consuming weed and came across this.

https://www.quora.com/Was-Lord-Shiva-using-marijuana-Bhang-or-other-drugs-If-he-is-a-god-would-he-need-drugs

Phenji, we meet again lol,

While now it may have become more of a ritual, that doesn't make it any less of a reason to stop its use. This is how traditions get lost in time - eventually it will just become 'sagan' or completely forgotten about. People who use Sukha properly don't use it to get stoned and do aish. Yes there are many who do but asli kamaai vale Nihang Singhs do not.

You should also look at the definiton of drug. The word has many bad connotations these days but that doesn't make it so. Cannabis is actually a very valuable drug when used correctly. As for it aiding in concentration, well I would say this would most likely vary among people. You would need to try it and know it's effects on you personally before making this judgement.

As someone who wouldn't ever personally use it, I still support those who continue this Puratan tradition.

20 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

You would need to try it and know it's effects on you personally before making this judgement.

Hanji we meet again 🙏🏻🙂

i would like to tell u this now as u wrote this. Before my transformation and before like who I’m now and what kind of person I was before.. so I use to consume weed before and use to love it a lot so I know it’s effects.. and I can do it now as well but I just can’t do it anymore because there’s a voice that’s not letting me do it and we all know THAT VOICE can never be wrong.. now even I have  valid reasons for doing it.. I can also take in a right quantity and do my simran..  right, but I just can’t do it anymore.. well that’s what I think and there are so many people who misuse it.. like people in India they even try to get high on cough syrups.. and yes there are other people who do it in a right way but those people are very rare.. and I really think those on spiritual path they actually really don’t need to do it.. 

29 minutes ago, Kaur Inder said:

i would like to tell u this now as u wrote this. Before my transformation and before like who I’m now and what kind of person I was before.. so I use to consume weed before and use to love it a lot so I know it’s effects..

Just exactly how badmaash are you? Lol only joking, I've done it in the past too, partly why I mentioned it. See for me I would never be able to use it for Bhagti/Simran, I wouldn't be able to concentrate at all. Albeit I can see how some people would be able to. I'd also probably eventually burst out laughing at the fact that I'm repeating the same thing baar baar (or something along those lines lol).

The thing is though, it's not mandatory to use it, nobody has to. And those who use it genuinely, do so knowing its effects, knowing how to handle it, and knowing how to use it correctly.

You're right in saying that it is susceptible to abuse. That's why there's a Maryada for it. Real Nihangs don't use it all day everyday. A point to note is that the amounts of cannabis used differ - those who use it everyday surely do not use loads otherwise they would be on the outskirts of Swarg 24/7.

Use of Sukha is not for everyday aam janta. Or regular Sikh. However, some kattarvadi's could certainly use a glass or two of it, they need to loosen up.

Lastly, we shouldn't interfere in Samparda Maryada. They are not trying to get the whole Panth to start using it.

-Edit- cough syrup isn't a good comparison, because it's both physically AND psychologically addictive. Cannabis can be addictive too but usually only psychologically. Codiene is strictly controlled in the West for the most part.

I’ll make it a bit more clear,

In khalsa there are three ways,

one is the way of the sevadaar/bhagat. In this way the sikh does a lot of bhagti/seva and devouts their whole life to that. This includes nirmaley,udasi,sevapanthi,puratan taksal,nanakasar, rara sahib etc. These people cannot even think of shaheedi degh or jhatka maas cause it affect their bhagti.

Second way of khalsa is ghristi. In this category the sikh is trying to balance their life by doing kirt kamai, raising children, bhagti, when needed martial help as well. The sikh should not consume shaheedi degh or jhatka cause it will affect their kamai.

The third way of the khalsa is the way if the warrior. These sikhs are gonna live, breath and die as warriors and living for dharam yudh. Mostly right now this part is given to the nihang sikhs who are martial at all times and on horseback at all times. These sikhs are allowed to take shaheedi degh and partake in jhatka meat because it will help them with the vigorous lifestlye of a warrior. The nihangs in india wake up at 12 am for amritvela and then go on horseback everyday. That is their life. 

Hopefully i cleared some stuff up. If you are still confused i would love to help you 🙂

so what I mean is whatever their life style is (nihangs) and  I know I shouldn’t be mentioning not all of the nihangs but those who does have a strict and hard kind of life style where they might need to use it (and I didn’t know there are some nihangs who does go for horse riding nowadays so thanks for telling me that) but because of that there’s so many people who do it I would say misuse it and say we are allowed that’s what I think is not right. But who can make them understand this.. those who actually want to get high on it (when they don’t need it) they just do it and justify it on the name of god. That’s what my whole point is I’m not saying why nihangs do it coz I havent lived their lifestyle but for people like me who has a normal life we don’t need to do it.. 

4 minutes ago, Kaur Inder said:

I wasn’t comparing the two at all. I was just giving u an example like how desperate some of the youth are to get just high on something so they are going for cough syrups.. 

I see what you mean phenji. I would have to disagree though. It's not out of desperaration at all - people laugh when they hear the words 'cough syrup' but it as legitimate high as other drugs. It used to be very easy to get it in the UK at one point but they realised people were using it recreationally and so it was given controlled drug status. In the simplest terms codiene is just a weaker version of morphine which in turn is used to make heroin.

23 minutes ago, Kaur Inder said:

I’m not saying why nihangs do it

and I would like to clarify  this my own statement as I remember somewhere in some other post maybe I wrote it that why do nihangs do jhatkta and marijuana.. and now I mentioned this.. it’s because before I didn’t know that they use to go for horse riding and I completely forgot about some of them also do gatka practice so that’s why I wrote that before and now this.. and the reason I’m clarifying this beforehand is because there are some people who only look at the mistakes of a person and it has happened to me before and thn they start an argument over little things. 🙏🏻

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 4:57 PM, Soulfinder said:

Bhen Ji i have found this katha link of Shehaadi Deg by Gyani Thakur Singh. But in another katha i did hear that Akal Ustat and Chandi Di Vaar should be read whilst making it. I will post that link if i see or find it.

Here it is the link i was talking about listen at 01:39:30 onwards about Akal Ustat and Chandi Di Vaar 

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2017 at 1:01 AM, Kaur Inder said:

And if someone can explain its actual meaning to me that would be great. 

AECBDB8C-9843-4DAC-9D62-B6463600514F.jpeg

Please listen to Sriman 108 Sant Gyani Gurbachan Singh jee Khalsa Bhindranwale narrating 4 arths of the above verses. There might be more arths to them

Bhul chuk maaf

• 2 weeks later...

There is a difference between Sukha and Bhang.

Sukha is made from a plant which has large leaves, while Bhang is a plant with small leaves.

The other point is that Sukhnidhan is made in a very specific way by Nihang Singhs. When the leaves are washed, they release some substance which turns the color of the water into black. This liquid is used by some people for intoxication purposes, but the Nihang Singhs throw this liquid out. It is not used in the preparation of Sukhnidhan. The intoxicating effect of the black liquid differs from that of Sukhnidhan.

Can someone please provide more details on this?

Bhul chuk maaf

• 2 years later...