Who can eat Meat?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I eat meat, I consider myself a Sikh. It’s food, eat it. Why would Waheguru place chickens on Earth? For them to be our best friends? They have brains the size of your thumb. Pretty sure the ancient Sikhs ate Jhatka meat, and they were already strong and had extremely high testosterone. You new ‘Sikhs’ need meat more than them. Get strong, use your common sense.

• 1 year later...

When Bibi Amaro went with her uncle-in-law to meet, Amar Das, to meet Guru Angad, they were taken to eat Langar, Mehima Prakash (1776 CE) describes it as follows:

ਲੇ ਚਲੇ ਸਾਥ ਲੰਗਰ ਕੇ ਮਾਹਿ । ਸੰਗੀ ਸਗਲ ਬੁਲਾਏ ਤਾਹਿ ।

They were taken to the Langar [Bibi Amaro and Amardas], and Guru Angad called all the attendants [to serve them].

ਮਾਸ ਭਇਓ ਸਿਧ ਰਸੋਈ । ਅਵਰ ਦਾਲ ਭਾਤ ਭੀ ਹੋਈ ।

Amongst the food was meat and other types of lentils as well.

The text mentions how Guru Angad also ate with them, the text describes it by saying:

ਜਬ ਮਹਾਂ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਖਾਇਆ । ਮਹਾਂ ਅਨੰਦ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸ ਹੋਇ ਆਇਆ ।

When Guru Angad ate the Maha-Prashad [the meat sacrament], he was filled with great bliss.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਮਹਿਮਾ ਕਿਆ ਕਹੈ । ਜੋ ਪਾਵੈ ਸੋਈ ਸੁਖ ਲਹੈ ।

What can one say about the Prasad [sacrament's] of the True Guru, whoever has enjoyed it has attained its bliss.

Unquote[1]

[1] - Meat Served in Guru Angad Dev Ji's Langar (manglacharan.com)

Bhul chuk maaf

Around the city of Kare, near Allahabad, a devotee named Maluk Das was eagerly waiting to meet Guru Tegh Bahadur, but suddenly changed his mind when he heard that the Guru had just come back from hunting with his Sikhs.

He thought, "I am a Vaishnavite [and vegetarian], but I've heard Satguru Tegh Bahadur is a meat eater.

Well now I don't think it is appropriate for me to go and meet them, I should just sit here in my house and meditate on Hari - Guru Tegh Bahadur is important, and I'm worthless, we are not equal.

In the world there are powerful and weak people, some people receive a lot of wealth and some are poor, why should I think more about this? I'll just sit at home and meditate on Prabhu."

Maluk Das thought about this and left any desire to meet Guru Tegh Bahadur, he just sat in his house meditating. Guru Tegh Bahadur realized this and thought "the mind of Maluk Das, the devotee of Hari, is deluded and confused.

The Saints do not contemplate on the [lower level thinking] of what is forbidden [or what is appropriate]. He saw my exterior practice and lost his faith, he was not a lover of the inner state of mind".

Unquote[1]

[1] - "The Satguru is a Meat-eater" - Suraj Prakash (manglacharan.com)

Bhul chuk maaf

Below the Great Poet [Mahakavi] Santokh Singh describes the instance where Banda Bahadur declared his Guruship and how the Khalsa replied to this request

Banda said - "Give me the status of Guru - all of the Khalsa should do my Darshan." When he said this to the entire congregation of Singhs tested him and said, "We will not accept this"

The Khalsa said, "You have made a separate group from the Guru and we will not mold into this - You have not even taken Khande Ka Pahul nor have you adopted fully the conduct befitting a Singh

If you wish this type of praise - then partake in this meat and alcohol we place before you and wear the blue clothes [of the Khalsa], then we can speak about the unity between us.

When the Khalsa replied in this manner, Banda thought - "My Dharam is to be vegetarian - I cannot partake in these three things." Having thought this Banda had great jealousy for all the Singhs [of their status]

Unquote[1]

[1] - Conduct of the Khalsa (manglacharan.com)

Bhul chuk maaf

On 7/26/2021 at 7:44 AM, paapiman said:

Below the Great Poet [Mahakavi] Santokh Singh describes the instance where Banda Bahadur declared his Guruship and how the Khalsa replied to this request

Banda said - "Give me the status of Guru - all of the Khalsa should do my Darshan." When he said this to the entire congregation of Singhs tested him and said, "We will not accept this"

The Khalsa said, "You have made a separate group from the Guru and we will not mold into this - You have not even taken Khande Ka Pahul nor have you adopted fully the conduct befitting a Singh

If you wish this type of praise - then partake in this meat and alcohol we place before you and wear the blue clothes [of the Khalsa], then we can speak about the unity between us.

When the Khalsa replied in this manner, Banda thought - "My Dharam is to be vegetarian - I cannot partake in these three things." Having thought this Banda had great jealousy for all the Singhs [of their status]

Unquote[1]

[1] - Conduct of the Khalsa (manglacharan.com)

Bhul chuk maaf

@dalsingh101 - Hope you read the above.

Is there a reference to Alcohol in Sri Pracheen Panth Prakash too?

Daas remembers that there is an episode involving a wrestling bout between Tat Khalsa and Bandai Khalsa, which involves meat.

Bhul chuk maaf

48 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Yeah, PP mentions a wrestling bout between a selected Bandai and Tat Khalsa jawaan, and the Tat Khalsa jawaan winning and people sticking meat in the losers mouth if I recall rightly.  

Bro, Daas asked you if there is any reference to alcohol too, especially in that episode which talks about the rift between Bandai and Tat Khalsa?

Thanks

Bhul chuk maaf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Guransh SIngh said:

Baba Nand Singh ji didn't allow it, he said Guru sahib has only allowed Jhatka meat when there is no other resort and you will die if you dont eat it.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

I agree with that sentiment. Seasonal practice of Jhatka is what keeps Nihang Singhs able to digest meat though. If you don't eat meat at least seasonally you cannot without getting sick. 

It also gives them experience with letting blood in one cut.