Gurbilas Patshahi Chhevin

chatanga1

I have had a look through the forum but cannot find a topic focusing on "Gurbilas Patshahi Chhevin" so have decided to start one here. This granth was discussed a little in "Sri Gur Sobha" but I feel needs a topic of it's own.

If the admins can do kirpa please merge those few posts concerning Gurbilas Patshahi Chhevin with this.

This is a granth that is quite a big piece of literature, and is stated to be written  by Bhagat Singh in 1718. Some professors/intellectuals have dismissed this granth as being written in the 1840s as some recensions bear events relating to this time period. I have started to read a book called "Guru Hargobind in Sikh tradition" by Gurbachan Singh Nayyar. He has addressed this issue of events and states that:

"the scribe clearly laid down at one place that he supplemented the data given by the author with his own notes in order to provide continuity to the events mentioned by the author itself. In this connection the scribe mentioned the name of Maharaja Ranjit Singh and his firman or the order of the demolition of Sarai Nur." (pg 3).

According to Pyara Singh Padam this Bhagat Singh was the student of Kavi Dharam Singh who was a court poet of Guru Gobind Singh. And the whole Gurbilas Patshahi Chevi Granth is a book written on the basis of the katha sermons that Bhagat SIngh heard at Nankana Sahib from Bhai Mani Singh.

I've read very little from this book but I remember that I found the poetry quite beautiful. And it starts with Ik Oankaar Satgur prasaad which is quite interesting as it might indicate that it was written before Vahiguru ji ki fateh had become the standardized manglacharan.

Edited by amardeep

Bhai Vir Singh Ji shows in his texts that the stories from the lives of Sri Guru Hargobind Ji is from the Gurbilas Patshahi 6 and the life of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji is from the Gurbilas Patshahi 10

I was looking in some of my books/internet for references to GP6 but some throw up the name Kavi Sohan as a writer of a GP6.

In another topic Pappiman asked how many GP6 there were and I had thought there was only one. Is there another?

Anyone got any further info on this?

On 3/25/2016 at 1:52 AM, chatanga1 said:

I have had a look through the forum but cannot find a topic focusing on "Gurbilas Patshahi Chhevin" so have decided to start one here. This granth was discussed a little in "Sri Gur Sobha" but I feel needs a topic of it's own.

If the admins can do kirpa please merge those few posts concerning Gurbilas Patshahi Chhevin with this.

This is a granth that is quite a big piece of literature, and is stated to be written  by Bhagat Singh in 1718. Some professors/intellectuals have dismissed this granth as being written in the 1840s as some recensions bear events relating to this time period. I have started to read a book called "Guru Hargobind in Sikh tradition" by Gurbachan Singh Nayyar. He has addressed this issue of events and states that:

"the scribe clearly laid down at one place that he supplemented the data given by the author with his own notes in order to provide continuity to the events mentioned by the author itself. In this connection the scribe mentioned the name of Maharaja Ranjit Singh and his firman or the order of the demolition of Sarai Nur." (pg 3).

I read somewhere that GB6 is the oldest source which mentions the establishment of Akal Takht by Guru Hargobind Sahib. SGPC had published it many years ago but due to pressure of some narrow minded people stopped publishing it.

22 minutes ago, Jatro said:

I read somewhere that GB6 is the oldest source which mentions the establishment of Akal Takht by Guru Hargobind Sahib. SGPC had published it many years ago but due to pressure of some narrow minded people stopped publishing it.

I remember that. I think Vedanti (then Akal; Takaht jathedar) had it printed (presumably with commentary) then there was some hoo-ha and it was withdrawn. 

The Gurbilas Patshahi Chevin usually has three different authors attributed to it. The first is Bhai Mani Singh Ji who is believed to have uttered the works when requested. Bhagat Singh was a student of Bhai Mani Singh Ji who is believed to have re-uttered the work and lastly Sohan Singh is believed to have written the account into the form we have today.

The Gurbilas has been available to purchase from the Patiala University fince the 90's. Jathedar Joginder Singh Vadenti has the book republished in 2002 with forewards from Giani Sant Singh Maskeen and Giani Balwant Singh Ji Kothaguru Wale. However once that came out Kala Afgana wrote his version of Gurbilas Patshahi 6 finding the book full of Brahmanism and because of this Vadentis version was removed.

There are some interesting passages in the granth. The maryada of akhand paaths and Raagmala is found in this granth along with the importance of wearing a keski.

18 minutes ago, Kam1825 said:

The Gurbilas Patshahi Chevin usually has three different authors attributed to it. The first is Bhai Mani Singh Ji who is believed to have uttered the works when requested. Bhagat Singh was a student of Bhai Mani Singh Ji who is believed to have re-uttered the work and lastly Sohan Singh is believed to have written the account into the form we have today.

Thanks for the info Paaji.

Bhul chuk maaf

Kam, it's good to see you back bro.

14 hours ago, Kam1825 said:

The one I have says the author is Gyani Gyan Singh.

14 hours ago, Kam1825 said:

The Gurbilas has been available to purchase from the Patiala University fince the 90's. Jathedar Joginder Singh Vadenti has the book republished in 2002 with forewards from Giani Sant Singh Maskeen and Giani Balwant Singh Ji Kothaguru Wale. However once that came out Kala Afgana wrote his version of Gurbilas Patshahi 6 finding the book full of Brahmanism and because of this Vadentis version was removed.

kala afghanas crew were putting, in their usual style, a perverse slant on some events of GP6. In my copy refered to above, there is a sakhi of Mata Kaula, where her life is at danger and Guru personally goes to rescue her from the Qazi's house and brings her to safety on his horse. kala afghanas crew portrayed this as Guru Ji eloping with the Qazi's daughter and therefore put a whole dark cloud over the story in GP6.

I was listening to an interview by the one of the sangh sabha international and he mentioned this, and how they successfully raised such a fuss in the media over it that vedanti backed down.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I will attempt to translate the first verse of the screenshot:

Chaupai:

The Mother is unlimited in faith and charity. Everyone's minds have become full of bliss.

I have kept her praises in mind. Forgive the poet for the mistakes. 687

Here the story of a girl's love is told. Listen to the story of Mata Kaulan.

About Mata Kaulan I have heard. Mata Nanki took her as her child. 688

I was a little confused about the "Upjayo" as it means created as well. But the sakhi in whole talks about Mata Kaulan's love for Guru Sahib and her being accepted by the Guru's family given the circumstances in which she arrived at Amritsar.

Any ideas or changes to the above?

6 hours ago, amardeep said:

Dohra:

By internalizing love in her mind, Kaula went to the house of the Guru.

Walking towards Mata Ganga she went and greeted Her.

Nice. Remember to add the verse numbers to make it clearer.

Edited by amardeep

@chatanga1

Can you also post the footnotes to any text that you post up, they usually contain important information. 

Also that last line seems clipped. Is the second word ਸਤ or ਸੁਤ??

On 4/9/2016 at 5:15 PM, chatanga1 said:

Here is a screen shot of the opening part to the sakhi of Mata Kaulan. I have addressed Kaulan as "Mata Kaulan" as this is how she is addressed in GP6. The nindaks from the sangh sabha international have stated that only the Mahals of the Guru's were addressed as Mata? Anyone shed any further light on this?

Here's the screen shot for everyone to read:

Slide1.JPG

Chaupai

She gave a lot of respect to Mata Ganga. Because of her (Kaula's?) cheerful happiness, all came to be absorbed in a peaceful state.

Being fortunate in the Guru's palace, Kaula then attached herself to his feet.

.......??

What does ਹਰਖਤ  mean? Couldn't find it in any dictionary but saw it was used in DG a few times?