BBC coverage of 1916 Irish Easter Uprising

Have just watched the BBC program on the Irish Easter Uprising of 1916 as it is it's centennial celebration this year.

I am shocked by the level of bias in this program against the Irish and Michael Portillo calling the event as a disaster for the Irish makes it seem like the British only ever did good in that country. Portillo seems to find it so strange that the Irish want to have control of their own country back.He pays no importance to the British Army executing any man they found during the uprising. He calls the uprising as a rebellion by "British subjects" against the King, which is treason. The General in charge tried to cover up the crime by imposing a total ban on the story of their extra-judicial murders of Irish people.

Again it's another episode in the British trying to whitewash over the crime of their empire. I could see the parallels with the British and their rule of India. Only 3 years after this uprising came Jallianwala Bagh where again the British military shot dead anybody they could under the guise of "preventing a rebellion against the crown".

In both cases the British military tried to blame the average citizen for being shot dead.

The BBC is still as biased as ever towards the empire's crimes.

2 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

Have just watched the BBC program on the Irish Easter Uprising of 1916 as it is it's centennial celebration this year.

I am shocked by the level of bias in this program against the Irish and Michael Portillo calling the event as a disaster for the Irish makes it seem like the British only ever did good in that country. Portillo seems to find it so strange that the Irish want to have control of their own country back.He pays no importance to the British Army executing any man they found during the uprising. He calls the uprising as a rebellion by "British subjects" against the King, which is treason. The General in charge tried to cover up the crime by imposing a total ban on the story of their extra-judicial murders of Irish people.

Again it's another episode in the British trying to whitewash over the crime of their empire. I could see the parallels with the British and their rule of India. Only 3 years after this uprising came Jallianwala Bagh where again the British military shot dead anybody they could under the guise of "preventing a rebellion against the crown".

In both cases the British military tried to blame the average citizen for being shot dead.

The BBC is still as biased as ever towards the empire's crimes.

What do you think of some of our own people, who get all misty eyed about the british raj in Panjab? 

I was looking on social media about this event and it was said that the British wanted the regiments/divisions that defeated the uprising to take part in the commemorations. The Irish were going ape-mental over it. Contrast this with our people who were holding hands with the same British regiments/divisions that took part in the illegal war against the Sikhs in 1849. Makes me even more madder than the Irish.

We could definitely learn a few lessons from the Irish.

18 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

I was looking on social media about this event and it was said that the British wanted the regiments/divisions that defeated the uprising to take part in the commemorations. The Irish were going ape-mental over it. Contrast this with our people who were holding hands with the same British regiments/divisions that took part in the illegal war against the Sikhs in 1849. Makes me even more madder than the Irish.

We could definitely learn a few lessons from the Irish.

Can you see how deeply rooted our sycophancy problems with goray are now? This is the long term legacy of colonialism and the ruling classes of the time glorifying being a British sepoy (which a lot of our people lapped up). Our lot are so dumb that even half a century after goray leaving many still fantasise about being a colonial attack dog.  That is proper santa-banta thinking terrority in my eyes. 

This is part of the Singh Sabha legacy that isn't talked about. When I used to try and tell people that glorifying your own people's subjugation was moronic, and glorifying the instrument used to subjugate your nation (the brit army) smacks of low self-esteem, I'd hear all manner of defensive stupidity from them. And let's keep it real - the people most likely to get childishly nostalgic about some British military role today are british raised juts who've are on the receiving end of a few centuries of propaganda from the brits (which pandered to their egos) and they still can't see through it.

How do we not look like docile clowns when we do this????