Sikhi Art - Essence of Warriors & Saints ~ Solo Exhibition by Bhagat Singh Bedi

On 6/1/2016 at 10:15 AM, BhagatSingh said:

What I mean is that the dastaar boonga, blue clothes, droopy farla, certain parts of their maryada, etc... basically what they do nowadays.... all of that started during Maharaja Ranjit Singh's time.

All aspects of Nihang Maryada were started by Sri Satguru jee. Some Nihangs might be engaging in Manmat in today's times, but there are definitely Jathas out there, who follow the Maryada.

Bhul chuk maaf

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

Even more historical clangers foo!. They weren't trained by 'British officers' they were trained by Napoleonic officers. And some segments of the Sikh army had blue uniforms too - like the cannoneers.

So there was no trainer of British origin, during Maharaja Ranjit Singh jee's times?

Bhul chuk maaf

49 minutes ago, paapiman said:

So there was no trainer of British origin, during Maharaja Ranjit Singh jee's times?

Bhul chuk maaf

Well, the European generals are well known - Avitabile, Allard, Ventura etc. etc. None of them were British. They were from Napoleon's disbanded army. 

M. Ranjit SIngh wasn't a fudhu. Although he strategically kept things sweet with the British, he wasn't careless or clueless about  leaking logistical information to them. That's why they sent spies to gather information to prepare for their eventual wars with Singhs. 

On 2016-06-02 at 0:12 PM, amardeep said:

@BhagatSingh What do you make of those 18th century sources which state the Sikh warriors wore blue?

Well what I said about the armies wearing different colour clothes is wrong. Perhaps both Mughals and Sikhs wore blue, the way both British and Sikhs wore red during Anglo-Sikh wars.

But anyway what sources are you talking about exactly?

I find this painting of Ranjit Singh's court very interesting! The turbans, ear-rings, jewelry, the colours, the clothes, carpets and walls!

It's so good!

340296-1.jpg

Dudes carrying shastars in a meeting. Can you imagine doing that in an office meeting lol. Walk in with a big bandook! Place it on the table.

The puratan dumalla that our Guru Sahibs wore is pretty much extinct by this time. There is only one guy wearing this style from the 1600s.

There is are three guys wearing a turban style from the 1700s, which is similar to the puratan dumalla.

Most people are wearing a different turban style that we call patiala shahi turban today. There are also other 1800s turban styles like the one the Maharaja Ranjit Singh is wearing. and the kalgi is being placed in the front of the turban.

The nihang dastaar has become a boonga by this time, tall with chakkars stacked. This turban is never seen painted before the 1800s.

Everyone is wearing a mix of colours. Only the Nihang is fully dressed in blue.

• 2 months later...
On 5/29/2016 at 10:09 PM, BhagatSingh said:

@paapiman

Makes sense.

But why?

There was an experiment which was conducted in a prison. Some prisoners were kept in a room, whose walls were painted red, while another set of them were kept in a room, whose walls were blue. After sometime, it was observed that the prisoners who were kept in the red walled room behaved more aggressively than the ones kept in the blue walled ones. This also proves that the red color has a negative impact on human minds.

Daas was told about this experiment by a Psychotherapist (works in Mississauga, Canada).

Bhul chuk maaf

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 0:38 AM, dalsingh101 said:

Even more historical clangers foo!. They weren't trained by 'British officers' they were trained by Napoleonic officers. And some segments of the Sikh army had blue uniforms too - like the cannoneers.

Your memory is going dude. lol

r u the guy in photo on sikhi arts that bought sahibzada ajit Singh ji's painting? (battle of chamkaur)

On 2016-05-01 at 0:29 AM, BhagatSingh said:

Yep that's the one I was talking about.

Here's another one of Guru Gobind Singh ji that was painted during late 1600s. It is said to have existed in Guru Sahib's own collection.

Notice the Dumalla shape, notice the yellow farla, notice the ear-rings and notice that hair.

10599722_936107449733229_856270026032028

Can we get this picture again?

1 hour ago, Singh123456777 said:

I like how you are trying to recreate the old way of tying dumala

Thanks man.

I think I've pretty much got how to tie it, I just need to practice so that I can consistently get that shape, and find out how our ancestors got it to look so neat (that is if they ever tied it neatly).

1 hour ago, Singh123456777 said:

Can we get this picture again?

It should appear in that post now that I've uploaded it to the forum.

34 minutes ago, tva prasad said:

I agree. What time is the style from?

In terms of Sikh gurus - Guru Hari Gobind ji to Guru Gobind Singh ji.

As far as I know, previous gurus, Guru Nanak Dev ji to Guru Arjun Dev ji did not wear a turban.

On 2016-10-31 at 11:35 PM, tva prasad said:

r u the guy in photo on sikhi arts that bought sahibzada ajit Singh ji's painting? (battle of chamkaur)

That's a different guy.

Just now, BhagatSingh said:

Thanks man.

I think I've pretty much got how to tie it, I just need to practice so that I can consistently get that shape, and find out how our ancestors got it to look so neat (that is if they ever tied it neatly).

It should appear in that post now that I've uploaded it to the forum.

In terms of Sikh gurus - Guru Hari Gobind ji to Guru Gobind Singh ji.

As far as I know, previous gurus, Guru Nanak Dev ji to Guru Arjun Dev ji did not wear a turban.

That's a different guy.

lol that's funny how I thought that guy was this dal Singh. Hahaha...

do u mean they didn't wear that sort of turban?

Gurus 1-5 wore a particular type of cap.

They also wore a Seli, which is this black string you see across Guru Nanak Dev ji's chest, in this painting. Sometimes he is depicted wearing it on his cap.
005_stitch.jpg

just saying I extremely doubt they wore a cap. First of all that cap looks very modern. I remember hearing this in a katha by giani Thakur Singh ji where he says that a gursikh who wear a cap/ hat dies of corh (cod ) in their following 7 life times. Sant baba nanad Singh ji maharaj described guru Nanak dev g when he has his darshan. The artist made a painting following sant ji's description. That picture is at nanaksar gurduaras and also on lucky ji's profile. Guru Nanak dev g is wearing a turban. There is also a very old picture available on google images, this was painted when guru Nanak dev g visited baghdad. There also guru g is wearing a turban.

btw how old is that picture?

@tva prasad

Well you can believe whatever you want. However all puratan artwork from 1600s, 1700s, 1800s show Guru Nanak Dev ji with a cap. We also have historical records that say Guru Hari Gobind ji changed the Seli-Topi tradition that the previous Gurus maintained.

It was only during recently during 1900s that Guru Nanak Dev ji was painted with a turban. That painting you think is from Baghdad was also painted in modern time, in 1900s.

Thakur Singh ji is encouraging people to wear a turban because it is a dying tradition nowadays. It is important that Sikhs maintain it.

That's my view anyways.

thanks BhagatSingh g for putting forward ur views.

@tva prasad

Well you can believe whatever you want. However all puratan artwork from 1600s, 1700s, 1800s show Guru Nanak Dev ji with a cap. We also have historical records that say Guru Hari Gobind ji changed the Seli-Topi tradition that the previous Gurus maintained.

It was only during recently during 1900s that Guru Nanak Dev ji was painted with a turban. That painting you think is from Baghdad was also painted in modern time, in 1900s.

Thakur Singh ji is encouraging people to wear a turban because it is a dying tradition nowadays. It is important that Sikhs maintain it.

That's my view anyways.

; )

2 hours ago, tva prasad said:

just saying I extremely doubt they wore a cap.

Satgurus did wear a cap. I think the topi of Fifth Master is still available for darshan at a Gurudwara.

I remember hearing this in a katha by giani Thakur Singh ji where he says that a gursikh who wear a cap/ hat dies of corh (cod ) in their following 7 life times.

That bachan is from a Puratan Rehatnama. The injunction to not wear hats, was probably made during the time of Tenth Master.

. Sant baba nanad Singh ji maharaj described guru Nanak dev g when he has his darshan. The artist made a painting following sant ji's description.  Guru Nanak dev g is wearing a turban. 

Are you 100% sure that Maharaaj is wearing a turban in that photo? It might be seli and a topi.

@BhagatSingh - What do you think bro?

Image result for gurudwara nanaksar guru nanak

Bhul chuk maaf

Just now, paapiman said:

Satgurus did wear a cap. I think the topi of Fifth Master is still available for darshan at a Gurudwara.

That bachan is from a Puratan Rehatnama. The injunction to not wear hats, was probably made during the time of Tenth Master.

Are you 100% sure that Maharaaj is wearing a turban in that photo? It might be seli and a topi.

@BhagatSingh - What do you think bro?

Image result for gurudwara nanaksar guru nanak

Bhul chuk maaf

really? Do u have any pictures of it (the topi)?

@BhagatSingh sorry bro, I feel bad now.