Issue I'm having during Prayers, please help

Guest Lost_In_The_Flames

Guest Lost_In_The_Flames

Ok So basically recently, about a month ago I've started doing more Bani than I used to do, I do atleast 1 Sukhmani Sahib a day, as many Chaupai Sahib as I can, various other bani, I listen to Chandi di Vaar (at the appropriate time) and I am always listening to Sukhmani Sahib when I sleep or any form of Kirtan. But I have started having really weird things happen to me, firstly let me start by saying I am not a superstitious person and I am in no way imagining this. While I'm reading my bani (any one it doesnt matter which) I feel hot, I dont mean slightly warm, I start perspiring heavily and I feel like im on fire. I don't stop but keep reading obviously, at first I thought perhaps it was due to the fact that I was sitting around in warm places, so I changed rooms, changed places, all the same. I was then fortunate enough to recite SUkhmani Sahib infront of Guru Sahib Maharaj, this is when it got far more unbearable, I felt out of breath and I felt like I was on fire. I hope I don't sound egoistic but when it comes to Sukhmani Sahib recitation I am able to do it in a time frame of approximately 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. I could barely sit for 20 minutes and I request Akal forgive my shortcomings and put my Gutka Sahib away.

Does anyone know what is going on with me? I'm deeply concerned about this. 

10 hours ago, Guest Lost_In_The_Flames said:

Ok So basically recently, about a month ago I've started doing more Bani than I used to do, I do atleast 1 Sukhmani Sahib a day, as many Chaupai Sahib as I can, various other bani, I listen to Chandi di Vaar (at the appropriate time) and I am always listening to Sukhmani Sahib when I sleep or any form of Kirtan. But I have started having really weird things happen to me, firstly let me start by saying I am not a superstitious person and I am in no way imagining this. While I'm reading my bani (any one it doesnt matter which) I feel hot, I dont mean slightly warm, I start perspiring heavily and I feel like im on fire. I don't stop but keep reading obviously, at first I thought perhaps it was due to the fact that I was sitting around in warm places, so I changed rooms, changed places, all the same. I was then fortunate enough to recite SUkhmani Sahib infront of Guru Sahib Maharaj, this is when it got far more unbearable, I felt out of breath and I felt like I was on fire. I hope I don't sound egoistic but when it comes to Sukhmani Sahib recitation I am able to do it in a time frame of approximately 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. I could barely sit for 20 minutes and I request Akal forgive my shortcomings and put my Gutka Sahib away.

Guest jee - Have you talked to any Gurmukh about it?

Bhul chuk maaf

7 minutes ago, samurai said:

lol...you serious bruv??

Yeah man. Before people start jumping on magical explanations, they should make sure they aren't having medical issues. 

A good few years ago, I piled on some flab. I noticed that I would heat up suddenly for no reason, even sweating - I was wondering if this brother was experiencing something similar? It would happen when I was just sitting and not moving much, like at a Gurdwara. 

Once I got back to a healthy weight - it went away. 

haha.. sorry bro i weren't thinking of the 'magical' explanations either just didn't know if you were taking the piss or not..serious man it just cracked me up..but fair enough about weight..

it will be interesting if the poster is skinny/healthy..

That's cool bro. It's just that I've seen some mad advice being given to brothers and sisters (who've obviously got serious medical or mental health issues), on Sikh forums by some seriously clueless people. I'm just aware of it and trying to encourage people to get a professional medical opinion on anything serious (if required). 

I think Internet forums often have a higher representation of such people than ahm life. We should be aware of this and make sure we never (even accidently) mess someone up when they need help. 

yeh man, in today's world defo exhaust medical help, as its easily available now..so take advantage..

Again agree, im also learning the 'forum' way... one thing i would say and stress is that the info on forums is not the pinnacle...

It would also be interesting to see what the hardcore meditators say as well as it could be a case of excessive 'tapp'..controlling it maybe??

13 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Are you overweight?

I'm about average weight. Just want to clear some stuff up I guess I better explain myself properly lol, I do sit down quite a lot but I always get up and walk around an equally long time. I have never experienced this before and I have always been a rational person. I have tried all means to see what's causing it, I have had a really fast metabolism and I eat decently (wouldn't say im the pinnacle of healthy eating but I don't overload myself on junk food too). I'm fairly skinny.

I'd like to add this only happens when I do any bani, regardless of which one. I am doing plenty currently, I also game sometimes or I go out with my friends. Never happens to me, went to Civil War with my friend, nothing, Played games, worked, studied. Nothing. 

Always during the recitation of bani.

11 hours ago, paapiman said:

Guest jee - Have you talked to any Gurmukh about it?

Bhul chuk maaf

Paapiman Ji - I am blessed to have some very nice members of the Sangat in my life, I have asked before regarding another  spiritual matter, the advice I got was sound however I am hesitant to ask them as I generally am shy around people and tend to keep quiet about these things. Hence why I asked the Sangat here for help

@Kira   I think you are writing too many names in 'Deathnote'. Your Shinigami is pissed. :)  Just Kiding, welcome to SA. 

Try taking a cold shower before sitting in meditation. Personally, warm showers can make me feel sweaty if I am sitting in a strict posture for more than 30 minutes, so cold showers def help me. And even it is hot weather I can tolerate the heat much better. Also, your mind is resisting &  might be creating these symptoms to distract. Eg how we get extreme itching ot other bodily sensations when we sit down. or how sometimes even the ticking of clock can be bothersome. I am not sure if this is your kundalini awakening or something because thats not my expertise. But hopefully others can help you better. 

@dalsingh101   Yes medical issues should always be sought out before jumping to magical conclusions. Some other conditions that come to mind are hypoglycemia, Diabetes messing up the insulin levels causing too high or too low glucose levels, hyperthyroidism, etc.

19 minutes ago, Ragmaala said:

@Kira   I think you are writing too many names in 'Deathnote'. Your Shinigami is pissed. :)  Just Kiding, welcome to SA. 

Try taking a cold shower before sitting in meditation. Personally, warm showers can make me feel sweaty if I am sitting in a strict posture for more than 30 minutes, so cold showers def help me. And even it is hot weather I can tolerate the heat much better. Also, your mind is resisting &  might be creating these symptoms to distract. Eg how we get extreme itching ot other bodily sensations when we sit down. or how sometimes even the ticking of clock can be bothersome. I am not sure if this is your kundalini awakening or something because thats not my expertise. But hopefully others can help you better. 

@dalsingh101   Yes medical issues should always be sought out before jumping to magical conclusions. Some other conditions that come to mind are hypoglycemia, Diabetes messing up the insulin levels causing too high or too low glucose levels, hyperthyroidism, etc.

Ryuk is just a pest, I sent him on a ehm "diplomatic" mission to help the assimilation of troubled individuals in a drug cartel. 

Thank you very much :) 

I have taken showers, hot, cold. I've had the fan on too, sat in a really cool room. I'd like to add I recently had a blood test done and it came back good. Though that was for my iron level, as I mentioned before this is always during Bani recitation. I've tried every conceivable thing I can to sort it out but I am really dumbstruck by it. 

Just remembered a while back while I was listening to Chandi Di Vaar (during the time of Amritvela around 5am-sih) I was lying down and trying to vision the scenes the divine father was trying to illustrate. My body did start doing weird spasms, I got worried so I sat up and pretty much snapped out of whatever was going on with me.

If you know anyone who can assist me or find some sort of reason for it I would greatly appreciate it :D 

22 hours ago, Guest Lost_In_The_Flames said:

It seems like you are open to gurbani intensity, it happens. You may want to concentrate on your core being- heart -hirdae spiritual heart (right side of the chest) then in mind imagine naam simran (vahiguru, vahiguru) is happening at the spiritual heart (right side of the chest). It will subdue the intensity of body.

13 minutes ago, N30 S!NGH said:

It seems like you are open to gurbani intensity, it happens. You may want to concentrate on your core being- heart -hirdae spiritual heart (right side of the chest) then in mind imagine naam simran (vahiguru, vahiguru) is happening at the spiritual heart (right side of the chest). It will subdue the intensity of body.

Yo, hope you don't mind me asking if you could clarify this in the most SIMPLEST terms possible. Imagine I am the most thickest person here lol, Could you define what you mean by Spiritual Heart.

Everyone of us have core being-center sometimes in gurbani its referred to top of head  - dasam dwar and sometimes its referred to hirda - spiritual heart right side of the chest . Just concentrate on right side of the chest-spiritual heart- feel the blueish cool calm energy there -CENTER where every energy is coming from in the body- then imagine naam simran happening there slowly vahiguru vahiguru. Try this if you can, it may or may not resonate with ya.

56 minutes ago, N30 S!NGH said:

Everyone of us have core being-center sometimes in gurbani its referred to top of head  - dasam dwar and sometimes its referred to hirda - spiritual heart right side of the chest . Just concentrate on right side of the chest-spiritual heart- feel the blueish cool calm energy there -CENTER where every energy is coming from in the body- then imagine naam simran happening there slowly vahiguru vahiguru. Try this if you can, it may or may not resonate with ya.

Right I was aware of the Dasam Dwar, and I always interprated Hirda as the metaphorical heart, that makes sense. I'll give it a bash thanks for the help. I did look into Kundalini from what Raagmala Veerji said, and it seems to be very interesting.

Next time your doing paath and this happens just check which nostril is dominant at that time. If it's the right channel (aka Sun) then your body is requesting more heat, if it's the left side (aka Moon) then body is cooling down. Ideally when one meditates one should try and have the left side open. 

To achieve this a number of techniques can be tried. Focus your attention on left side of body.

• put your dhyan on actual heart 
  • dhyan on left nostril
  • If eyes closed dhyan on left eye

think you can also lay down on right side and left nostril should open up or maybe the other way round. Have to experiment with that one.

11 hours ago, Kira said:

I have taken showers, hot, cold. I've had the fan on too, sat in a really cool room. I'd like to add I recently had a blood test done and it came back good. Though that was for my iron level, as I mentioned before this is always during Bani recitation. I've tried every conceivable thing I can to sort it out but I am really dumbstruck by it. 

Kira jee - Please get a comprehensive blood test done. Have you talked to your family doctor regarding this issue?

Bhul chuk maaf

9 hours ago, Singh123456777 said:

What up Kira!

Good that you came onto this forum as well. Sikh sangat is a little bit narrow minded. It's was funny to watch you and preet fighting.

What up man, As you can see im literally being burned alive but other than that I'm alright, Yeah I'm pretty sure I lost some brain cells with that argument. I've yet to meet someone so lost up their own rear end so to speak.

1 hour ago, paapiman said:

Kira jee - Please get a comprehensive blood test done. Have you talked to your family doctor regarding this issue?

Bhul chuk maaf

Paapiman Jee

Yes I have, Like I mentioned before I've had tests done and they all came back normal. I'm fit and healthy so to speak. I appreciate the sangat here encouraging me to seek medical attention but so far as I have asserted, I have done just that and it seems to be perfectly fine (my health anyway). This only happens when I read Bani or pray. Any other activity is perfectly normal. 

The flow of ida and pingala is karma related. Balanced/lunar flow occurs once we've pacified the heavier burdens. Excessive heat can give rise to a lot of complications. In cases where there is agitation as a result of meditation, service of the needy, or as instructed by a realized person, is advised. It's also important to maintain as much celibacy as possible if heat is excessive. 

9 hours ago, Raju said:

The flow of ida and pingala is karma related. Balanced/lunar flow occurs once we've pacified the heavier burdens. Excessive heat can give rise to a lot of complications. In cases where there is agitation as a result of meditation, service of the needy, or as instructed by a realized person, is advised. It's also important to maintain as much celibacy as possible if heat is excessive. 

Don't think Celibacy is an issue for me, im far too young to have a wife.

anyone else able to provide insight as well? any help appreciated.

Disclaimer - None of this is a replacement for a Guru, who has experienced these phenomenon and who can sit with you and guide you in-person. Find a local Guru ASAP. They can be from any community.

ਭਉ ਖਲਾ ਅਗਨਿ ਤਪ ਤਾਉ
Blow through the (ਖਲਾ) Pipe (ਭਉ ) the Fear of God, and increase the heat of the (ਅਗਨਿ) Fire.
This is called (ਤਪ) Tapasaya.

This 'heat of the fire' is referring to bodily heat, ie when you feel really hot.

The 'Fear of God' is referring to heightened awareness.

Gaining heightened awareness can amp up perceived bodily heat amongst other things.

Other things being -

Hearing the atmosphere, the resting vibrations in your ear caused by air and such, as really loud noise.
Feeling blood inside the body, can feel blood rush to the veins back and forth from the heart.
Feeling all nerves in the peripheral nervous system, and feeling extremely fuzzy and weightless.
Getting bombarded by knowledge, storms of knowledge and insight.
Becoming fascinated by little things around you, ie the mundane becomes epic.

And there many more things that can happen.

All of these things mean you are developing a heightened awareness of things.

While certain techniques (as described above by other members) will help, breath control will help as well, but  what you want to do is drive those techniques with Amrit. Amrit is not sugary water, nectar, bullshit.

Amrit is a state that you enter after you make peace with whatever is happening to you. If what is happening to you is causing discomfort then you radically accept that discomfort and make peace with it. You choose to live in that discomfort.

ਭਾਂਡਾ ਭਾਉ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਤਿਤੁ ਢਾਲਿ
In the (ਭਾਂਡਾ) container of (ਭਾਉ) Love - your heart - (ਤਿਤੁ ਢਾਲਿ) pour in the molten gold - (ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ) Amrit.

ਘੜੀਐ ਸਬਦੁ ਸਚੀ ਟਕਸਾਲ
(Take this Amrit and pour it into the mould of Love) and mint the Gold coins of your guru's words - his or her instructions.

These verses are from Pauri 38 of Japji Sahib and are relevant to your experience.