Unrest at Sri Nankana Sahib

There has been unrest in Nankana Sahib, Pakistan yesterday, including arson right outside Gurdwara Sri Janam Asthan.

The Gurdwaras of Nankana Sahib have a lot of land attached to them. Ever since the Sikhs were forced from there in 1947, the people have started to encroach upon this land and claim it as their own. Because there are so few Sikhs there, no one has been able to oppose it.

About 3 years ago, the Supreme  Court of Pakistan ordered all the land to be returned to the Gurdwaras that has been sold illegally. They also ordered that any illegal settlements on the land be dismantled and the land returned t the Gurdwaras as well.

Yesterday, the local govt took the steps of reclaiming that land as per court order. The people who had encroached upon it and illegally claimed it, went on the rampage and set fires to govt buildings and attacked the police.

If Islamist fundamentalism spreads in west Panjab, I fear attacks on Gurdwaras and Sikhs at some point. Part of me is surprised this hasn't happened already. 

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

If Islamist fundamentalism spreads in west Panjab, I fear attacks on Gurdwaras and Sikhs at some point. Part of me is surprised this hasn't happened already. 

Its been happening for a long time, a quick search on the internet will shock you

Terrorist Attack Feared After 300 Years Old Sikh Gurdwara Reopened in Pakistan After 73 Years

Gurdwara Biba Singh | Courtesy: Facebook page of Save Historical Places of Pakistan

PESHAWAR, Pakistan—A Gurdwara in Jogiwada area of Peshawar (Pakistan) was reopened after 73 years on April 27. Gurdwara Sahib is believed to be over 300 years old. It was closed down in 1940 as most of the Sikh families living in the area had to relocate. Local Sikhs of Jogiwada had been struggling legally for reopening the Gurdwara since 2012.

Peshawar area where the Gurdwara is situated is Taliban dominated. Taliban has strict policies towards the minorities, and is staunchly against religious places of non-Muslims.

Sardar Gurpal Singh, a prominent Sikh living in the area told Sikh24 that the security of the visiting devotees is necessary as the Gurdwara will be on target of Taliban and other terrorist organizations in the area. He informed that currently a Police cop has been deployed outside Gurdwara Sahib.

A book-seller adjacent to the Gurdwara premises said that the locals have been in fear of a terrorist attack ever since the Gurdwara reopened. He said that a girls’ school falls in the neighbourhood of the Gurdwara Sahib, so if any mishappening occurs, it could lead to huge damage of lives.

According to CIA reports, minorities form 3.6 % of total population of Pakistan. Sikhs are often targeted by the terrorist organizations such as Taliban for obtaining ransoms.

Since the Gurdwara was uninhabited for over six decades, its walls and inner dome have been damaged following several earthquakes. But the main building built in 1708 has survived.

www.sikh24.com/2016/04/28/terrorist-attack-feared-after-300-years-old-sikh-gurdwara-reopened-in-pakistan-after-73-years/

29 minutes ago, chatanga1 said:

There have been several attacks on Sikhs in Panjab and NWFP over the last 3 or 4 years.

Come on, given what goes in NWFP, I'm not shocked. 

If any armed sullay want to make a quick buck, they are obviously going to target the wealthy Sikhs in the vicinity for extortion and kidnap. 

What's been going on in Panjab? 

Wouldnt anyone be angry , if they were told the land isnt theres and had to be returned back to the owners. Now if they are using the land for trading and their livelihood. I think its clever tactics by the Courts / government , in the sense how to get rid of a minority by giving them back their land , knowing very well the tension it will cause, its like giving them the cake but eating it yourself. Surely they should have got the owners of the land and encroachers to come to an agreement such as staying where they are but paying minimal rent or relocating them elsewhere.  

7 hours ago, DSG said:

Wouldnt anyone be angry , if they were told the land isnt theres and had to be returned back to the owners. Now if they are using the land for trading and their livelihood. I think its clever tactics by the Courts / government , in the sense how to get rid of a minority by giving them back their land , knowing very well the tension it will cause, its like giving them the cake but eating it yourself. Surely they should have got the owners of the land and encroachers to come to an agreement such as staying where they are but paying minimal rent or relocating them elsewhere.  

Well the land isn't theirs. What would people say of they applied this to shoplifters?

I visited Nankana Sahib and other itihaasic Gurdware in Pakistan a couple of months ago. The situation in Pak Punjab, contra to what sensationalist reports would have you believe, is overall pretty stable. The Pakistan government actually protects the historic Gurdwaras. The main obstacle for Pakistani Punjabi Sikhs is poverty, but that's a problem across Pak Punjab and I believe Sikhs are well off compared to others, particularly because of the strong community.

Peshawar is now a hot spot because of the rise of Taliban types. A lot of Sikhs living in Nankana Sahib currently are originally from Peshawar and have fled the violence there to settle in mainland Punjab. 

15 hours ago, JustAnotherSingh said:

I visited Nankana Sahib and other itihaasic Gurdware in Pakistan a couple of months ago.

You are blessed.

15 hours ago, JustAnotherSingh said:

The situation in Pak Punjab, contra to what sensationalist reports would have you believe, is overall pretty stable. The Pakistan government actually protects the historic Gurdwaras. The main obstacle for Pakistani Punjabi Sikhs is poverty, but that's a problem across Pak Punjab and I believe Sikhs are well off compared to others, particularly because of the strong community.

This is the work of these indians who wish to portray a poor image of the "traditonal" enemy amongst the Sikhs. The Pakistan Govt realised about 20 years ago that the Sikhs would/could become a big part of tourism for that country generating a good income for little investment. I don't know of any other group of people who visits that country in the number that Sikhs do, and so the Pakistan govt are going to want to protect and expand that trade.

Well the land isn't theirs. What would people say of they applied this to shoplifters?

I agree the land isn't theirs and they have the right to claim it back. But the aftermath is what needs to be clearly defined by the courts and support of the Polce.If Pakistan is similar to India in terms of law and order ( assuming it is) then it will be very difficult to push the encroachers out and get back the land without some type of violence . As will the Police support the owners 100% or is it that , they give them the rghts to get back their land and the rest is up to them. We dont know the mentality of these people , may attack innocent people for no reason , shunned out of society , unprovoked attacks .

I think its a tricky one , taking back whats yours without being the victim. 

I think shoplifting is different , thats about taking goods/items rather than land which is more static of nature.